Colorado: System Software Missing

This is ugly.

Last night I left my CO powered on to see how much location drift would occur. Overnight, the batteries went dead and the unit powered off.

This morning, I cannot start the CO or connect it to a PC via USB. It displays "System Software Missing" and hangs.

Hard reset does not work. It is (was) running on the new firmware 2.60.

Suggestions??????

I believe that this is the second post I have seen with this issue. The prior poster did not say anything about allowing the batteries to run down. Just started it up the morning after the update and got this message. From what I recall, the unit was bricked and went back to Garmin.

I believe that this is the second post I have seen with this issue. The prior poster did not say anything about allowing the batteries to run down. Just started it up the morning after the update and got this message. From what I recall, the unit was bricked and went back to Garmin.

I suspect you are right. Oh well. Maybe I will get a newer serial number that seems to have less location drift problem. Bad news is the Canadian Repair Ctr say turnaround is 3 to 4 weeks. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Sure glad I still have my 60CSx.

This is ugly.

Last night I left my CO powered on to see how much location drift would occur. Overnight, the batteries went dead and the unit powered off.

This morning, I cannot start the CO or connect it to a PC via USB. It displays "System Software Missing" and hangs.

Suggestions??????

I did the updated software on Sat. 7/19 when I unplugged the unit from the pc I had no maps on my unit any longer! I called Garmin spent 37 min on hold and they are sending me out a new GPS with a box to send my old one back into them. Mine is about 4 months old.

You might consider trying the last ditch recovery procedure described here http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous#toc12 .

After you run this procedure the Colorado should be visible as a mass storage device. At that point you should be able to run the webupdater and reinstall 2.6.

GO$Rs

I did try that and it didn't work. So I shipped it off to the Canadian Repair Ctr this morning. Every time I phoned Garmin the wait time was in excess of 30 minutes, including after waiting 30 minutes.

This is ugly.

Suggestions??????

This happened with my CO on Oct 31st. I've been sick since then and today is the first day I even tried to turn it on since... and I had the dreaded "system software missing" message.

You might consider trying the last ditch recovery procedure described here http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous#toc12 .

After you run this procedure the Colorado should be visible as a mass storage device. At that point you should be able to run the webupdater and reinstall 2.6.

GO$Rs

I tried the system reset and it didn't work. So, I tried the above #toc12 and it was able to do the software loading, but when I tried to restart up the GPSr it didn't work. I did it again and this time I deleted all the gsak files I had in there... archived and current. Then I downloaded the latest software and tried restarting it and it worked. B) I then went into GSAK and loaded my latest PQ and its working!! Woohoo!

I've had this GPSr for about 15 months, so I'm sure its out of warranty.

Thank you!

Laura612