No 20 Yr Olds

Well, I do love my Wii :huh: But I'd rather be out caching. The Wii is great when it's crazy hot outside though. Or raining. Or blizzarding. Or... well, you get the point :lol:
New for 2009 - Wii-Caching.... comes complete with the thorny vine attachment to wrap around your legs, cyber-mud buckets for your feet, surround sound skeeter buzzing sound track and realistic controller that will have you swearing you're really holding that soaking wet log sheet! :huh:

This is the first time I've been on the Groundspeak forums, and I was so excited to see this thread! I'm 21 and I love geocaching (granted I'm pretty new at it)! I've tried to get my friends interested in it, and most of them think it's cool, but rarely actually go out and do it. (probably for the reasons mentioned earlier...parties, etc.) They just don't understand why I want to stop on our way to a place to pick up that cache that I haven't found yet, or why I'm late for things because I have to be FTF (which never happens but at least I try)...

I don't actually go out by myself much because it is kind of dangerous for a young woman to be out alone in some areas. I do go with brother/cousin/random friends I drag with me, because I think caching is more fun when you don't do it alone! (besides, someone needs to take pictures!) But seriously, thank you for this thread--now I know I'm not alone!! ;)

Edited by tea-talk

Does 21 count? Been caching since I was 18, mostly with my folks or other local cachers, but occasionally I go solo to get local caches.

I avoid caching solo, a guy my age hanging around an area digging in the bushes or tampering with utility fixtures is asking for negative attention IMHO.

As for why I think there aren't many younger cachers, I guess it's not "cool" enough for them.

Try being in your fifties and doing those same things! Unfortunately guys out doing things solo will attract attention in many places, and most of it is not positive attention. I'm creepy if I am doing something solo but if I am there with my 18 year old son we are just fine. ;)

Exactly the reason I don't do a lot of urban caching alone.

ok, I'm dumb! I forgot to tell my geocaching story!

So I was looking under the bushes at this church when the pastor comes over to me and tells me that if I'm looking for drugs, they already caught the drug dealers who were leaving stuff there! He pretty much thought I was a drug dealer, and I'm pretty sure his wife was waiting to call the police! Luckily, my grandpa was the former pastor of this church, so all I had to do was mention my last name, and suddenly everything was OK. I seriously thought I was going to be arrested for geocaching, though! So, yes, I agree with your original theory dctalk007! ;)

I am 21 and have been caching solo since I was 17. I never could get any of my friends into it, they thought it was weird (Just like being a Girl Scout was weird at my age).

I've finally been able to convince a couple friends, but this was only recently.

I am one of the youngest solo cachers in the local area near me, as most others my age cache with other people or with their parents.

I personally enjoy caching solo because I like taking challenging routes and wandering off looking at rare plants and rock formations. Most other people I know aren't into that and wouldn't want to do that whilst caching.

Edited by NeoAddict

I'm 27 and my partner is also in his twenties - we only learnt about caching at the beginning of this year and do it ust about every weekend and I do it on my odd days off work as I struggle to last a working week without a cache. Had we known about it sooner we'd definitely have gone for it!

It's a fantastic hobby - tho I admit that I do envy the retired/semi-retired all those caching hours that they have whilst I am stuck in work!

Does 21 count? Been caching since I was 18, mostly with my folks or other local cachers, but occasionally I go solo to get local caches.

I avoid caching solo, a guy my age hanging around an area digging in the bushes or tampering with utility fixtures is asking for negative attention IMHO.

As for why I think there aren't many younger cachers, I guess it's not "cool" enough for them.

Try being in your fifties and doing those same things! Unfortunately guys out doing things solo will attract attention in many places, and most of it is not positive attention. I'm creepy if I am doing something solo but if I am there with my 18 year old son we are just fine. :D

Exactly the reason I don't do a lot of urban caching alone.

Bah, I just go for it anyway. I don't mind being a little creepy from time to time. ;) I have only been asked two or three times what I was doing and never by the local LEO. I always tell them I am Geocaching and explain it a little. After a few seconds they get bored and leave. I have only had LEO contact once and that was at night with the whole family! I work on acting like I belong wherever I am and pretty much ignore folks who might pass by. If I don't pay any attention to them they don't seem to pay any attention to me. Of course if the cache is in a park full of moms and kids I drive on by and plan to come back another time.

Sorry for the off topic stuff but it is good info for cachers of all ages.

talk007

My son (18) was with me when we snatched your Deceptions Zipper Pull TB from Clockwork Orange. He regularly caches with me. He and his girlfriend (18) have their own account and cache together. He also caches with his girlfriend's family. I gave him my old GPS and he will be taking it with him to college.

There are a number of 20 something cachers here at Sierra Vista / Ft Huachuca.

I'm 19, female, and cache solo regularly. I started caching at 18, without any parental involvement. I drag my dad along occasionally now and he seems to enjoy it. I've taken a few friends geocaching, but I usually enjoy the caches with a decent hike the most, and my friends just don't seem to be into that. I know I'm more nerdy than most kids my age, but I find that school and lack of money stop me from caching much more often than partying does. I'm sure there are some other young cachers who would say the same thing.

I have a great time Geocaching... At least I have for all of my gargantuan amount of caches... an unbelievable amount of one! =o

I'm thirteen, and just getting into this sport. I usually go out without my parents if the cache is within 1.5 miles, but otherwsie, unfortunetely, I need some kind of transportation. I would do it myself, but I'm never really in the mood to be arrested.

Im 23 and cache all over the place by my self most of the time, and with other people because they are with me when at work or on the way to a movie. But for the most part i have made friends in the sport and go with them on certain days, Also I am the one that got my dad into not the other way around...and i have not yet gone with him on a hunt?

Also never creepy when hunting alone...cus im so darn sexy!!!lol

I came in here to reply, that yes, I am in my 20's, but then I realized I'm actually 33.

WHEN DID I TURN 30?!?!

Amen on that. I'm 33 also, and still feel like I'm in my 20's.

Age is a state of mind, not a number. And I think caching keeps you young!

I would have certainly cached in my 20's had it been known at the time. I was looking for a cache in the local town gardens so I just put on work gloves and looked like ai was doing weeding N stuff. Nothing creepy there until someone who knew me said, the in the blue **** are you doing.

Well, I do love my Wii :D But I'd rather be out caching. The Wii is great when it's crazy hot outside though. Or raining. Or blizzarding. Or... well, you get the point :D
New for 2009 - Wii-Caching.... comes complete with the thorny vine attachment to wrap around your legs, cyber-mud buckets for your feet, surround sound skeeter buzzing sound track and realistic controller that will have you swearing you're really holding that soaking wet log sheet! :D

hahaha....dude that would be intresting

i would buy that

I picked up geocaching last summer when I helped run a geocaching program for scouts at the canadian jamboree, i just didn't have a GPSr of my own untill early this year. I've had a few people ask what i'm doing, and to be quite frank, i'm honest with them. Either they're actually interested in what i'm doing or they couldn't care less. Honesty is the best policy, i've found.

I think that alot of cachers are older due to time and cost restraints.

There are no time and cost restraints in my opinion, nobody says anybody has to cache a lot or cache far, it's a play at your own pace game :unsure:

I know that I wouldn't be caching if I had to buy my own GPS'r.

My career and young family also keeps me from getting out alot.

I've had to buy all 4 GPS units I've had, and have worked full time my whole caching career. I guess what I'm saying is it's all about how much you want to, most young people would rather do other things, but they COULD cache as much as anyone else if they wanted to.

I think what i was trying to get at was that with a young family and few extra funds, buying a GPS'r can limit who can cache. I too have worked full time my caching career, but buying diapers/food and paying the bills prevented me from getting involved initially.

This is a great sport, and love it. I also try to show new people the sport and loan out my GPS'r so that others can participate at zero cost.