No 20 Yr Olds

"16th find with jabridge and heartbreaker on a trip to phoenix. T:n/a L: n/a

TFTC, Well this is only the third time i've been pulled over b cops geocaching. I accedently didn't turn my lights on for light two seconds ont he road and a cop filpped a uey and pulled me over. He asked what the hardware was for. We had my GPS Jabridge GPS my ipod and flashlight and camera and i had both cases on. Hearbreaker was in the back on my laptop. We looked pretty legit. Just another story!!!

-Lakeside Mission Man" GC17BH7

Here's a reason that I don't think to many 20 yr olds cache.

I live in San Diego and when ever I go to an event there are really no cachers that are under thirty.

I wonder why?

Any comments?

Edited by dctalk007

Does 21 count? Been caching since I was 18, mostly with my folks or other local cachers, but occasionally I go solo to get local caches.

I avoid caching solo, a guy my age hanging around an area digging in the bushes or tampering with utility fixtures is asking for negative attention IMHO.

As for why I think there aren't many younger cachers, I guess it's not "cool" enough for them.

Does 21 count? Been caching since I was 18, mostly with my folks or other local cachers, but occasionally I go solo to get local caches.

I avoid caching solo, a guy my age hanging around an area digging in the bushes or tampering with utility fixtures is asking for negative attention IMHO.

As for why I think there aren't many younger cachers, I guess it's not "cool" enough for them.

Try being in your fifties and doing those same things! Unfortunately guys out doing things solo will attract attention in many places, and most of it is not positive attention. I'm creepy if I am doing something solo but if I am there with my 18 year old son we are just fine. :sad:

I'm 36, a married woman with kids. If geocaching as it is today had existed in the early '90s, my boyfriend at the time and I would probably have been into it because we were outdoorsy techies. We were 22 and 21 at the time. Both of us grew up in the suburbs. He'd done some family camping, but I had no outdoors experiences to build on. We had to be in our early twenties in order to 1) figure out there was something new we wanted to try and then 2) try it. When I was a teenager it never would have occurred to me that I'd like being outdoors. Treasure hunting, yes; hiking, no.

Also: Where I live I think you would pretty much have to be 17 to have an unrestricted driver's license, and I haven't met any driving 17-year-olds who would choose hiking/camping/geocaching over driving to your friend's for video games/partying/church youth group/organized sports/or any of 14,997 other activities. But mileage varies. There are a couple of Facebook geocaching groups, and it might be interesting to see how many folks there are 21 and under.

Also: Where I live I think you would pretty much have to be 17 to have an unrestricted driver's license, and I haven't met any driving 17-year-olds who would choose hiking/camping/geocaching over driving to your friend's for video games/partying/church youth group/organized sports/or any of 14,997 other activities. But mileage varies. There are a couple of Facebook geocaching groups, and it might be interesting to see how many folks there are 21 and under.

At 17 I was out hiking and camping heaps, even though I didn't have my license. Now at 19 I have started geocaching and it is much more fun getting out and about than hanging around inside all day. Who cares what is cool? Having fun is much more important.

As linked to this thread by MrsB, I think I should raise my hand also.

I started caching on my own at age 15, now I'm 17, it's tailed off a bit but I still go caching (when I find the time).

I've only been caching with my parents once, and that was on a family holiday, (they're not cachers themselves)

I'm 45 so I don't qualify for your informal poll, but just recently I did see a poll where it indicated a guy my age is right in the "wheelhouse" of most cachers. I think the reason you don't see a lot of 20-somethings out caching is because of the reasons already stated: dating/partying/drinking/etc. To most kids that age, geocaching probably seems like an "old fogy" type of activity. If you're my age or older, you no doubt recall when metal detectors were all the rage for beachcombing retirees...I've got a feeling that's how a lot of the younger generation now feels about us!!!

I'm 45 so I don't qualify for your informal poll, but just recently I did see a poll where it indicated a guy my age is right in the "wheelhouse" of most cachers. I think the reason you don't see a lot of 20-somethings out caching is because of the reasons already stated: dating/partying/drinking/etc. To most kids that age, geocaching probably seems like an "old fogy" type of activity. If you're my age or older, you no doubt recall when metal detectors were all the rage for beachcombing retirees...I've got a feeling that's how a lot of the younger generation now feels about us!!!

I think this post is right on the money.

Me and all the members of our geocaching 'team' are under 20, there is about 8 people with us and we are all 18 and 19. Also every person we have talked to about geocaching has been interested, and is deffinately not considered 'uncool' or ' old people game ' by any of our friends

I'm 21, and just started. Why? Because I didn't know about this til now! If I'd have known about it years ago I would've started years ago. If you haven't noticed we're supposed to be "stealthy," so unless you know someone that does it (In my case, a friend who just happened to be visiting from Germany) you're probably not ever going to find out about it. So the answer is essentially the question. Why are there so few geocachers? Because there ARE so few young geocachers (if your friends aren't doing it, you're not likely to be doing it, either).

Both myself and my wife are 21 and we just started geocaching. We've actually been able to interest my 18 year old sister when she can get her attention away from boys long enough.
Being 2-1/2 20 year olds I really wished I could of gotten into it earlier. My son is 20 and my daughter 26 and they have no interest. I think it's down to that "won't do what my pop does!" mindset even though they don't seem to say that when I get back from a concert or from getting toasted at Boar's Head in Key West. I think if a similar aged friend were to invite them out they'd jump at the chance. Then again they can't keep up on the mountain bikes, road bikes, kayaks, hikes, etc... :unsure:

Glad the younger crowd is getting into this, renew the faith that all is not lost to Wii and Final Fantasy IV.

We're only young once but we can be immature forever!

You're never too old to have a happy childhood. When I was your age, I was also twenty.

Twenty year olds lurking around rocks and trees in parks are "modern riff raff", just hanging around with nothing better to do.

Now... 50+ year olds lurking around in parks... that could be cause for perceived concern amongst non-cachers!!!

You're never too old to have a happy childhood. When I was your age, I was also twenty.

Twenty year olds lurking around rocks and trees in parks are "modern riff raff", just hanging around with nothing better to do.

Now... 50+ year olds lurking around in parks... that could be cause for perceived concern amongst non-cachers!!!

Especially 50+ year old Canadians! Washingtonians are much less creepy when lurking solo in parks. :unsure:

Glad the younger crowd is getting into this, renew the faith that all is not lost to Wii and Final Fantasy IV.

Well, I do love my Wii :lol: But I'd rather be out caching. The Wii is great when it's crazy hot outside though. Or raining. Or blizzarding. Or... well, you get the point :huh:

You don't know what you're missing till you push your envelope

Not a crazy hot day, but it is a great target for one. Of course, we did run into snow on the way too.

ca4a3326-1933-4212-97ab-07037a226088.jpg

Or dress for one of these blizzarding

f1a6c66a-952f-42b2-86a2-59bfff9b4b7b.jpg

I'd post one of it raining, but it always seems to stop just when the hike starts but it has never encouraged me to stay indoors. :huh:

Edited by TotemLake

I'm 22 and I cache solo. I do have other caching friends I team up with sometimes too, on some runs or milestone events, but I do lots of solo caching, and am present for all my caches (not working with a team and getting credit when I'm not actually present).

I am approaching 2,000 finds, and I've only been caching since Dec. 27th (that's 07...yes...only 7 months). I go to as many events as I can. Check my profile, most people know me for my pictures I post at caches.

Edited by BTBAM

Are there any 20 or younger cachers out there. That go out solo not with there parents?

There are many, personally I'm 23, wow... time flies, I started in '01 when I was 16 and have been caching since.

I wish I had started when you did. We're friends on Groundspeak, but didn't realize we were the same age.

I see it as everyone has a hobby, and for me this is it.

I just bought a Garmin Oregon 400t (600 bucks) and also still have my 60CSx. I spend quite a lot on gas to get around, getting about 100 caches on average the past 10 weeks. It is expensive when you think about it, but atleast I'm getting out, moving, and staying somewhat fit.

I think that alot of cachers are older due to time and cost restraints.

There are no time and cost restraints in my opinion, nobody says anybody has to cache a lot or cache far, it's a play at your own pace game :lol:

I know that I wouldn't be caching if I had to buy my own GPS'r.

My career and young family also keeps me from getting out alot.

I've had to buy all 4 GPS units I've had, and have worked full time my whole caching career. I guess what I'm saying is it's all about how much you want to, most young people would rather do other things, but they COULD cache as much as anyone else if they wanted to.

I like that us "old folks" have something to call our own! I'm 41.

Most people (young or old) seem to think the idea of geocaching is dang cool. Plus, young people have enough activities of their own. I think if we start putting geocaches in bars and sports stadiums, the young people would pick up on it soon enough.

I like the wisdom that this sport has to offer. The non-tangible benefits (I think) often are something the 20-somethings, in large part really are not interested in. But I think the intrigue for GC is something that brings us more "mature" folks into a nostalgic world of yesteryear. Playing hide and seek, caring about the environment, making someone ELSE happy (besides yourself), or accomplishing something just for the sake of accomplishment is what draws me to this obsession.

Now NOT ALL 20-somethings....I don't want a barrage of "hate posts" to follow this!! In fact, if you're a 20-something and reading this....I'm probably NOT referring to you! LOL

Just my 2 cents!