Addition to attributes list.

geopitbull

On the list there is an attribute for snakes and ticks. My suggestion is for adding one for fire ants. I live in Tennessee and they are pretty common around the southern US. My thought is for cachers not from this area that might step on a mound thinking that its just a dirt pile. :rolleyes: Just a thought.

Geopitbull

Snakes, Ticks, Fire Ants, Bees, Wasps, Scorpions, Chiggers, Mosquitoes, Horseflies, Deerflies, Assorted Spiders, Leeches, Bears, Wolves, Moose, Gila Monsters, Javelina, Mountain Lion...the list goes on.

Do we need an icon for each?

If there is an especially prevalent threat in the area of the cache, it should be described in the cache listing.

Snakes, Ticks, Fire Ants, Bees, Wasps, Scorpions, Chiggers, Mosquitoes, Horseflies, Deerflies, Assorted Spiders, Leeches, Bears, Wolves, Moose, Gila Monsters, Javelina, Mountain Lion...the list goes on.

If there is an especially prevalent threat in the area of the cache, it should be described in the cache listing.

Agreed.

How about because you can filter though. Bitting/Stinging Insects, Venomous Insects, Bitting Reptiles, Venomous Reptiles and Aggressive Mammals. you don't have to break it down animal by animal.

Ever been chased by a moose you didn't know was in the area? It is only fun after the fact.

I'm actually torn on the issue of filter if truth be told.

On one hand those of us placing a cache should be expected to know the area better then the person seeking it and warn them about potential dangers in a manner that gives them the ability to never even see that cache if it has an attribute they don't want to deal with. Just writing it in the description doesn't make it get filtered out.

However if a person gets killed looking for a cache because he/she relied on somebody else to do the research for them then it is their fault.

In Brighton Rec. we have leaches in our low land areas that will drop onto you from the trees at night. I know they are not insects but if we had a "Bitting Insect" attribute I would check it.

Agreed.

How about because you can filter though. Bitting/Stinging Insects, Venomous Insects, Bitting Reptiles, Venomous Reptiles and Aggressive Mammals. you don't have to break it down animal by animal.

Ever been chased by a moose you didn't know was in the area? It is only fun after the fact.

I'm actually torn on the issue of filter if truth be told.

On one hand those of us placing a cache should be expected to know the area better then the person seeking it and warn them about potential dangers in a manner that gives them the ability to never even see that cache if it has an attribute they don't want to deal with. Just writing it in the description doesn't make it get filtered out.

However if a person gets killed looking for a cache because he/she relied on somebody else to do the research for them then it is their fault.

In Brighton Rec. we have leaches in our low land areas that will drop onto you from the trees at night. I know they are not insects but if we had a "Bitting Insect" attribute I would check it.

Admittedly, I have never tried to filter my PQs by attribute. I have read, however, that the functionality was 'somewhat ineffective' (it didn't work properly). That issue may have been resolved since then, so perhaps there might be some use in a 'Dangerous Creatures' attribute which should at least alert the seeker that they need to do a little reading.

Not to many reports of Moose attack here in Arizona, but I understand they can kick the batteries out of your GPSr if you mess with them. Normally we don't have much of a leech problem either. The wash beds can harbor a few Sand Leeches, but the Sand Trout population keeps them under control. If the wash gets choked with trash, the Sand Trout population declines, and the Sand Leeches can really get out of hand. Nothing worse than pulling off your boots to find a nest of Sand Leeches in there! :sad: