Can A GPSr's accuracy deteriorate over time?

BilboB

I have noticed that my 4+ year old Etrex Vista just does not seem to cut it lately. Is it possible that over time, the receiver portion may deteriorate and the GPSr accuracy goes down? I remember when first starting out caching, I could find caches a lot easier. I have looked for 1/1 caches with no luck (I am a good cacher with 1007 finds) and 4/4 caches that were right on. I know that caching skill comes into play, but the original question still remains. Can the accuracy deteriorate over time?

I know where you are is where you're at and that doesn't change, but you are dependent upon the GPSr itself to tell you where that is.

I have noticed that my 4+ year old Etrex Vista just does not seem to cut it lately. Is it possible that over time, the receiver portion may deteriorate and the GPSr accuracy goes down? I remember when first starting out caching, I could find caches a lot easier. I have looked for 1/1 caches with no luck (I am a good cacher with 1007 finds) and 4/4 caches that were right on. I know that caching skill comes into play, but the original question still remains. Can the accuracy deteriorate over time?

I know where you are is where you're at and that doesn't change, but you are dependent upon the GPSr itself to tell you where that is.

I'd try going to the satellite page, hit the menu button, pick use with GPS off option, hit menu again, and then pick New Location. Do this in a wide open space and just let it sit for a 1/2 hour or so. I've run into this before and that fixed the problem.