This Chaps Me

Tresco

I really like geocaching. I don't mind bumpy back roads. I like to get dirty. Long hikes on difficult routes are my thing. Snakes don't bother me. Tough trails or no trails are no problem. I eat this stuff up.What I don't like are caches that are "not at the posted coordinates". I don't want to solve puzzles with clues that tell me where to look. I want good reasonably accurate coords. Every GPS unit is a little bit different so your cords are not going to match mine exactly anyway. Why the extra grief? It used to be just a few caches were like this but now it is getting hard to find a straight-up cache that does not require "cute" extra bells and whistles.

I really like geocaching. I don't mind bumpy back roads. I like to get dirty. Long hikes on difficult routes are my thing. Snakes don't bother me. Tough trails or no trails are no problem. I eat this stuff up.What I don't like are caches that are "not at the posted coordinates". I don't want to solve puzzles with clues that tell me where to look. I want good reasonably accurate coords. Every GPS unit is a little bit different so your cords are not going to match mine exactly anyway. Why the extra grief? It used to be just a few caches were like this but now it is getting hard to find a straight-up cache that does not require "cute" extra bells and whistles.

Different people like different challenges.

I'm heading to Portland in a few hours and I am presently downloading all the puzzles and multis in the area. There are some interesting ones based upon the board game "Clue", as well as some "Inspector Gadget" hides involving some tools that you must find. I'm an asphalt guy who doesn't like poison oak and snakes.

I'm not sure what you're saying. You don't like anything other than traditionals? Or is it you don't like when folks post soft coordinates?

If it non-traditional caches you're complaining about then you're complaining about something that essential to what some folks think of as treasure hunting. The classic follow the map to the "X" or solve a riddle types like Indiana Jones or National Treasure movies is the bread and butter of some folks' adventures. You'd hate letterboxing.

If it's soft coordinates--coordinates that aren't that accurate--then I think most would agree. If one is looking to make finding a cache a challenge then intentionally posted "off" coordinates is not the way to do it. In fact, get a reputation for doing so and you'll more likely have your caches ignored simply because of who you are.

I have found that normally a group of caches in an area can be attributed to a certain cacher.

So if all the caches with poor coords are from one cacher, this should be quite simple.

You should be able to skip those by reading who hid the ones you don't like, and IGNORE all the caches from that hider.

Edited by ventura_kids

We started out geocaching disliking Puzzles & Micros, but with more experience these became our favorites. Even a so-so hide becomes enjoyable when you have to work at it a bit. :D

Not me! I'm a "BIG pile of sticks under the BIG tree in the middle of the BIG field" kinda guy! <_<

Geocaching........something for everyone! :D:P:D

I agree that Traditionals should be Traditionals with no extra puzzles, clues, ALRs, etc. needed once you get to the posted coordinates.

I have no problem with people hiding (or seeking) puzzle or mystery caches but they should be listed as such.

I would bet that this doesn't happen too often these days. Reviewers, well our's n Texas at least, keep a pretty good eye for things like this and will question the cache owner to make sure the cache is listed appropriately...

As far as puzzles go,, we really enjoy the majority of them but i will admit that some have certainly given me a headache. :rolleyes:

I don't really like puzzle caches either. I've got a few solved, found 1 so far, can see another but can't get it yet.

I say I, but it should be we. The wife likes the traditional cache and being the family stuff, we do those. Unless I solve a puzzle cache and we get it when we are in that area.

A few of the family caches I have out (5 total) none of them let the coords take you right to the cache.

Why? Because no 2 GPS's will take you right to the spot. So you get a hint that will get you right there. Its not a puzzle because it tells you.

I've only found 1 cache in my area that was spot on the GPS. All the rest leave a small clue to their location.

Example, the GPS takes you close to a tree, the clue says 5 to 10 south of tree, you walk 5 to 10 feet south of tree and there it is....

To me that is fun. Running right to the COORDS takes some of the game out of it.

When I took a trip north to Death Valley a few years ago, I ran into this on several older caches along the way. They were listed as Traditional caches, but were, in fact, Offsets. I DNF'd one because I looked for it at the coordinates instead of reading the long, detailed description in my Palm. When I am traveling, I usually don't put Multis or ALRs into my GPSr because I frequently just stop, look for the cache at the coordinates, and continue down the road.

If I ever got in the habit of reading the entire cache description before looking for a cache, this wouldn't be a problem . . . but after all this time I haven't been able to cultivate that habit . . . :rolleyes:

If I lived in an area where this was commonplace, I would probably contact the local Reviewer to have those caches reclassified as 3.gif or 8.gif.

What I don't like are caches that are "not at the posted coordinates". I don't want to solve puzzles with clues that tell me where to look

You're a premium member so you can just put these on your ignore list, or if you are running pocket queries you can easily filter them out. Problem solved.

Yes, but I believe what the OP is saying is that he caches are listed as Traditionals, but once he gets there, there's something else (a puzzle, an off-set, an ALR, or something) needed in order to find/log the cache.

I didn't take it that this was what the OP was running into but you may be right. There's no doubt that there are a few misclassified caches placed but unless they are granfathered somehow, they're listed wrong and need be changed to show the proper cache type. Of course changing a cache's type would mess with it's finders' history so would be difficult to implement. Not sure what the best solution for this would be...

Look, I've got nothing against puzzle caches. They are just not what I'm looking for right now.

So your OP is a troll to get people to flame you? ;):huh::lol:

Does someone need attention? :mad::wub:

Yeah man and you're killing my buzz. Don't hassle me. I'm just trying to connect with people. Why don't you harsh someone's mellow on the crapper cache thread. Man, I did'nt expect the Spanish Inquisition...

LOL :huh:

Look, I've got nothing against puzzle caches. They are just not what I'm looking for right now.

So your OP is a troll to get people to flame you? ;):huh::lol:

Does someone need attention? :mad::wub:

Yeah man and you're killing my buzz. Don't hassle me. I'm just trying to connect with people. Why don't you harsh someone's mellow on the crapper cache thread. Man, I did'nt expect the Spanish Inquisition...

LOL :huh:

You have 17 finds to your name and you are already in the forums complaining? As a premium member you can IGNORE a cache listing or run a PQ and filter out cache types you do not wish to seek. If you need help with either of these, ask and we will lead you through the steps.

Edited by wesleykey

You know Tresco here is something to ponder considering you mentioned the "Crapper Cache".....

Assuming that you are caching near your home. You and I are only about 40 miles from each other. In my immediate area I get traditional caches stuck down in crap (literally), hidden in a used "Wendy's" baked potato container, a dump site that's in a swamp, many debris piles and anywhere that transients live. We don't have many that lead you to a nice or interesting spot. Have a few, but not many.

You on the other hand you have some cachers out there, that care about quality. A good example is "Kit Fox". I really appreciate the time and EFFORT he puts forth.

If I may suggest; Stickier than a Gummy Worm on a hot dashboard! GC171ZN This is a good example of the "Thrill of the Hunt" No puzzle and the cords are correct. It's even dog friendly! Give it a try and let us know if you enjoyed it....

So next time your on your soapbox, consider what you have available. :lol: Many of us are not so lucky.