Need help with Colorado and USB

Howdy all,

I upgraded my Colorado to 2.60 yesterday and now when I connect the USB cable I can not find my Garmin in "My Computer". I can open a window in my web browser and direct it to F:\ and see the files. From the browser I can not delete, move or add files. I need to get access to it in "My Computer". I can not map the drive as I do not have an ip address for the drive.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Tamaral1

I suppose you might be in Spanner mode rather than mass storage mode. Spanner mode allows you to use the unit to drive GPS software (such as mapping software) which is running on your PC. Mass storage mode allows you to access your unit (both internal memory and any installed SD card) as disk drives from your PC.

I thought the default was mass storage, but I guess that could have changed with 2.60. To check, power up your unit without connecting to the PC. Go to Setup->System->Interface. If it is set to Garmin Serial, you will automatically go into mass storage mode every time you connect the USB cable to the PC. If it is set to Garmin Spanner, you will get a choice each time you connect the USB cable. When you connect, you can choose either Spanner or Mass Storage on the unit. You should choose Mass Storage.

Let us know if that's the problem.

When I was attempting to install 2.60 with Garmin Updater on the devices page it would only show N:/Garmin (or something similar), but it would never show "Colorado 400t" like it always had before. I tried several things with no success. I finally decided that the drive "N" was actually the Colorado unit itself (and it was) so I uploaded 2.60 to it. And it worked fine. I don't know why this changed. I had taken the SD chip out, so I was pretty sure that the "N:" was not referring to it.

Tried suggestions. Did a reset. Now when I try to connect to pc it starts to go into USB mode, flashes white screen with some information (looks like the screen that I used to see that indicated percentage of data saved) then shows GARMIN screen - light is dim, and the screen fades to nothing - unit shut down.

At this point I can not go back to old version, and I can't work with current version.

Any help is appreciated.

Tamaral1

Problems like this were introduced in the 2.54 beta. Thought they had been addressed with 2.60, but perhaps not.

If you have an SD card installed, remove it before connecting.

If at all possible, turn the unit on and allow it acquire a satellite lock before attempting to connect. Even if you cannot acquire lock, turn it on first.

Both of these things are aimed at reducing power consumption at the time you connect. There was speculation that there is a power management problem at the time of connection.

You might also try a different computer and/or a different USB port on the same computer. All USB ports are not created equal with regard to the amount of power they can deliver.

Edited to add: If none of that works, might be time for a call to Garmin tech support.

Edited by twolpert

Reset again. Start unit and wait for it to log on. Connect to pc - now it connects and seems to work. I can now see the Garmin in "My Computer". Disconnected and tried to reconnect - unit must be turned on and locked onto sat. to work. This seems like a BIG step backwards to me. Unit used to connect to pc with no problem on or off. I wonder what else no longer works that used to be fine. At least on my unit 2.60 is junk. I was better off with previous version and beta.

Just about ready to dump this piece of junk and get a 60CSx. From what I read, it works.

Thanks for the help. Guess I will have to call Garmin next week and talk to someone in service to get a better fix for this. Shouldn't upgrade to released software and find it worse than previous beta versions.

Thanks

Tamaral1