The FTF Joker: Has He/She Been Identified?

Decoski

I came across a cache once which wasn't logged into the geocaching.com log, but when I got there found that somebody had already been there, placing a joker card with their initials on the second page. I'm thinking that this is his/her signature card and plays it on all their FTF's as a joke. Has anyone else seen this played and has this person been identified yet?

Since you mentioned that they signed on the second page ... it's possible that this person was somehow involved with the hide prior to it's publication. I routinely have a fellow cacher "test find" a hide before I publish it (and have done so for others as well) just to make sure the coordinates are accurate, the hide/search occurs in a manner I would have expected, and in the case of puzzles/multi's that the stages and puzzles actually solve correctly. In such cases, I will sign the log book (afterall, it was a "find") but will do so on the second page noting that I'm not claiming "first to find" since it wasn't yet listed. I'll then log the cache online after the first person truly finds it.

Since you mentioned that they signed on the second page ... it's possible that this person was somehow involved with the hide prior to it's publication. I routinely have a fellow cacher "test find" a hide before I publish it (and have done so for others as well) just to make sure the coordinates are accurate, the hide/search occurs in a manner I would have expected, and in the case of puzzles/multi's that the stages and puzzles actually solve correctly. In such cases, I will sign the log book (afterall, it was a "find") but will do so on the second page noting that I'm not claiming "first to find" since it wasn't yet listed. I'll then log the cache online after the first person truly finds it.

This wasn't the case. The owner too was puzzled as to why they would have done this.

I came across a cache once which wasn't logged into the geocaching.com log, but when I got there found that somebody had already been there, placing a joker card with their initials on the second page. I'm thinking that this is his/her signature card and plays it on all their FTF's as a joke. Has anyone else seen this played and has this person been identified yet?

Sounds to me like somebody that enjoys "getting" FTF hounds. He doesn't post online so that they'll still go out for the cache thinking that it hasn't been found yet, only to get there and find that "The Joker" has already robbed them of their FTF status.

Did the joker later claim FTF? If so then I would agree that it was kind of a gotcha log. I have seen that some are obsessed with being FTF to the point that others become annoyed. I have one FTF. I logged it in the cache as FTF. I did wait a few hours before I logged online. A FTF hound logged under me and didn't notice my signature. He claimed FTF online. I found it a little amusing when I saw what had happened. :rolleyes:

Did the joker later claim FTF? If so then I would agree that it was kind of a gotcha log. I have seen that some are obsessed with being FTF to the point that others become annoyed. I have one FTF. I logged it in the cache as FTF. I did wait a few hours before I logged online. A FTF hound logged under me and didn't notice my signature. He claimed FTF online. I found it a little amusing when I saw what had happened. :rolleyes:

He never logged online.

There are a couple of cachers in my area that very rarely log online. And when they do it's generally notes about a problem with the cache.

I've been second to find behind one of them once. I doubt that they're even aware that this (not logging online, not going online to log a FTF) is anything out of the ordinary.

Of course, the Joker imay be a clue ;-)