New MapSource version (6.14.1) released today 7-18-2008

The big icons are the worst, followed closely by the screen redraw time.

Importing Geocaches completely covers the maps.

For Example, there are three caches in a nearby park.

With 6.137, I can tell which corner of the park they are in.

With the new one 6.141, I can't even see any of the park through the new symbols.

I went back to 6.137.

By the way, you can get the old versions off the Garmin server.

Just copy the link for the latest:

http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6141.exe

And replace the 6141 with the version number of your choice.

For example:

http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe

I have two problems after the update:

1.) When you drag the map, it is very slow.

2.) When I enter the program, it tells me to insert the topo CD. When I click cancel, it pops up and asks me to insert the topo CD again. This was not a problem before the update. Before the update, when the box pops up, I would just click cancel and continue with the software without a problem. Then I found out that my USB Drive (RoboForm2Go) that automatically fills out my username and password was causing the problem. When I disconnected the drive, the insert CD box did not pop up.

Also I don't like the big icons.

Who tested this stuff!

Apparently no one! Garmin's software releases seem consistently buggy in significant ways now. Minor bugs are one thing but these make software close to unusable. Someone in quality control and software development isn't doing their job. Come on Garmin, fix your software and your processes. :ph34r:

Also, can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong trying to go backwards to 6.13.7 Everytime I try it I lose the Mapsource.exe file and a new (old 6.13.7) one is not installed. I just get that the mapsource.exe is missing. Rerun 6.14.1 and that version does install the mapsource.exe. Wish I'd backed that up before the upgrade.

JD

To go back:

Open Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, uninstall any/all programs saying Mapsource or Garmin Mapsource. Now install Mapsource from CD or Training Center. Then upgrade to 6.13.7.

If not on your HDD, download first and save to your HDD.

HTH

Thanks. I was hoping it was less involved but oh well.

JD

Definitely don't like the slowness of this new version. Wish I never deleted 6.13.7 from my computer. I have the older version on my desktop, think I'll see if I can delete 6.14.1 from my laptop and transfer the older version to it.

I am having problems with mapset map overlays & downloads to my 76csx, so the garmin software techs had me load 6.14 1st & then 6.14.1 & reformat the sd card using NTFS. Neither of them fixed my problems & 6.14 won't even run on my xp pro laptop with 512 ram. out of memory memory errors. Does run on my desktops including a high end vista machine with 4gbs of ram but excruciatingly slow (takes 5 sec + to redraw each curser move) & eats up the cpu. It appears the USB interface is screwed up also. Not a good release on garmin's part.

Turns out u can rename 6.13 & load 6.14 into the same garmin folder & they will both run. Then u can compare.

I must say garmin has been very response with my problems, so the louder we scream the more sensitive they will be to their customers!

I agree that the map rendering looks better; but I also agree that the screen redraws are far too slow on all but top-end systems. I also don't like that the new version won't start unless I uninstall the custom topo maps I created.

Lately, Garmin has been badly slipping. First they took away the second unlock code on CityNav. Next, they released the HCX series with malfunctioning odometers. Then, they released the Colorado series with too many bugs to list, and no touch screen. To add insult to injury, they then pissed off many Colorado owners by releasing the Oregon series shortly thereafter with the missing touch screen. Now they release a Mapsource product that only top-of-the-line computers can use. What's next?

GW

I agree that the map rendering looks better; but I also agree that the screen redraws are far too slow on all but top-end systems. I also don't like that the new version won't start unless I uninstall the custom topo maps I created.

Lately, Garmin has been badly slipping. First they took away the second unlock code on CityNav. Next, they released the HCX series with malfunctioning odometers. Then, they released the Colorado series with too many bugs to list, and no touch screen. To add insult to injury, they then pissed off many Colorado owners by releasing the Oregon series shortly thereafter with the missing touch screen. Now they release a Mapsource product that only top-of-the-line computers can use. What's next?

GW

I agree with you completely and have always been a loyal Garmin consumer, but Garmin is not the company that they were just a few short years ago. Their product developement group may be as good as ever, but it is very apparent that their Software Division is lacking the professionalism that they were once known for. If the type of software problems that exist in their recreational handheld units existed in their aviation units or even in their automotive units their market share in the GPS industry would plummet just as quick as their stock came down from 120. Usually when this type of change occurs their was a change in top managemnent within the group or a completely new strategic direction that the company is heading in and it usually takes 2-4 years for the effects to fully appear and we are now suffering the results of poor decision making. I sincerely hope Garmin realizes the value that their Customer Support Division is contributing to overall sales. Good Customer Service is PRICELESS and in Garmin's case adds significantly to their overall sales (even if it is indirectly) because of their reputation for excellent customer service . If Gamin's customer service falters or the level of support is downgraded for cost savings then DeLorme will become the "Toyota" and Gamin will be the "General Motors" among the GPS manufacturers.

I agree on the SW quality issues on Mapsource and the devices, but disagree with the Colorado touchscreen issue. I'm extremely glad that Garmin didn't completely jump into the touch UI hype and that there still are units with the tried and proven input method (e.g. for winter use). Touch UI also takes its part of the screen for soft keys (like zoom) and it is difficult to position the location arrow accurately when your finger covers half of the screen.

Touch user interface based devices have their segments, but since they're not suitable for all environments, I'm glad there are options.

Edited by affetus

Also, can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong trying to go backwards to 6.13.7 Everytime I try it I lose the Mapsource.exe file and a new (old 6.13.7) one is not installed. I just get that the mapsource.exe is missing. Rerun 6.14.1 and that version does install the mapsource.exe. Wish I'd backed that up before the upgrade.

JD

To go back:

Open Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, uninstall any/all programs saying Mapsource or Garmin Mapsource. Now install Mapsource from CD or Training Center. Then upgrade to 6.13.7.

If not on your HDD, download first and save to your HDD.

HTH

I just installed 6.13.7 over the top of 6.14.1. The mapsource.exe file wasn't there, so I installed 6.13.7 a second time. 6.13.7 working just fine again.

Man I wish I read this thread before upgrading :D

I'm downloading 6.13.7 now since I was a few versions behind.

One other BIG problem with this new version is that with BlueCharts, it does not show the water depths !

I reported it to Garmin many months ago and there has not been any new version yet to correct the problem.

Tim

I would like to run both versions 6.14.1 & 6.13.7

Can someone explain how (I need the really dumb person instructions please) I have read how in the other posts but syill have no clue.

I did have a previous version installed but since I updated the maps to City Navigator 2009 it automatically installed the new version (6.14.1)

Please and Thank you

Easy. Don't feel bad Red90 had to explain it to me too.

Simply rename the Mapsource.exe file of one version to another name. Then create a new shortcut and call that renamed file. The Mapsource.exe is inside the zip file you downloaded, just unzip it.

Easy. Don't feel bad Red90 had to explain it to me too.

Simply rename the Mapsource.exe file of one version to another name. Then create a new shortcut and call that renamed file. The Mapsource.exe is inside the zip file you downloaded, just unzip it.

Thats very funny, easier said then done.

I`ve downloaded (saved) version 6.13.7 from gpsinformation.........now what?

Find where the 6.13.7. "Mapsource.exe" program is located on your computer. Next, using Windows explorer, rename it to something like "Mapsource6137.exe". Then when you install the 6.14.1 version from the zip file, it will create a new "mapsource.exe". You will now have two .exe programs: the 6137 version, and the new (6141) version. You can create a shortcut to each.

Find where the 6.13.7. "Mapsource.exe" program is located on your computer. Next, using Windows explorer, rename it to something like "Mapsource6137.exe". Then when you install the 6.14.1 version from the zip file, it will create a new "mapsource.exe". You will now have two .exe programs: the 6137 version, and the new (6141) version. You can create a shortcut to each.

To make things easier, I've uploaded the Mapsource.exe file for 6.13.7 to my site.

Download http://www.calgarycachers.net/red90/MapSource_6137.zip and extract the file MapSource_6137.exe and place it in your Mapsource directory. Make a shortcut to it and that will be version 6.13.7. The existing Mapsource.exe in that directory will be 6.14.1 and will run like normal.

WOW, that was easy!!!!

Many thanks.