New MapSource version (6.14.1) released today 7-18-2008

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Notes:

* WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.

* This version of MapSource no longer supports Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows NT.

* Works with Windows Vista.

Change History

Changes made from version 6.13.7 to 6.14.1:

* Updated map rendering to provide visual improvements.

* Added support for U.S. National and Swedish SWREF99 grids.

* Fixed issue with setting the PC clock on Vista.

* Allowed user specified colors for routes.

* Added Brazilian Portuguese translation.

* Improved interface for managing map products and unlock codes.

It's painfully slow, and they added sort of a 3D view what distort the map view (and you can't switch back to the normal 'paper type map' or flat view).

bummer, going back to 6.13.7. Garmin is clearly on the wrong path both in software and hardware (Colorado) development. pity.

Edited by Mars Express

This problem was noted on the Beta version some time ago:

Scale 30 miles

v6.13.7-----v6.14.01beta

ms2ace2.jpgms1aqa5.jpg

The UK is 'stretched' West to East!!! <_<

If you are still experiencing this problem with today's version then I will not be bothering, as with the beta version I can use either!

Mapsource v6.14.1 beta] says there is no update!

The UK is 'stretched' West to East!!! <_<

If you are still experiencing this problem with today's version then I will not be bothering, as with the beta version I can use either!

Mapsource v6.14.1 beta] says there is no update!

the update is here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

and the stretching appear in this version as well as in the beta (I'd described it as sort of a 3D view). When you enter a proximity waypoint, the red circle isn't a circle but an oval...

Edited by Mars Express

Has anyone had problems with non-Garmin maps, as other posters experienced in other forums?

"Didn't work for me - I was glad I still had the last version stored away for

safe keeping as this new version would not start up, complaining about the

existence of non-Garmin maps. Back to 6.13.7 for me."

Cheers,

Jim

There are known and fixable problems with "some" custom maps not working.

What exactly seems to be causing the problems and what is the remedy? Thanks.

I had kept up, somewhat, with others complaining that the Ibycus maps would not work properly with the beta version so I never swithched to it. Looks like I'll still stay with v6.13.7 until they get 6.14.1 working properly. Sure hope Garmin is not intentionallly trying to complicate things for those of us using custom maps, if they are that would be enough to make me want to no longer be Garmin loyal. With all of the issues with the Colorado, and appears to be some with the Oregon, the drifting and odometer issues with the Extrex H's, and now issuses with Mapsource updates it leads me to believe that Garmin may not be the well run company that it once was.

I just downloaded 6.14.1 and I have the Colo 24K Topos from Above the Timber, theirs no problem with those maps on 6.14.1. On the contrary, theirs a class of road which was almost invisible on 6.13.7 which is now very much improved. Others have called this Nuvi-like. Whatever, a win for me.

I have not tried the Ibycus maps, too big of a download for me.

Why can't I install this software?

This has happened to me before with some versions of POI Loader too.

I click to launch the setup program and I get a screen saying click NEXT to proceed.

Well there is no NEXT button!

It just stays like this...

Anyone have this problem?

Any Fix ?

I just installed this update and now when I try to start mapsource I get:

There is a problem with the Product TigerData installation. Please reinstall Product TigerData and start MapSource again.

Anybody have an idea as to what I need to do?

The only thing that I currently have for maps is ibycus 1.4

thanks

Two problems I've seen with this new version of MapSource. One, it tries to draw the maps the same way Google Maps does, which really slows the process down. Two, with the BlueCharts, having the spot soundings turned on only makes one or two of them visible.

It really is sooooo slow at loading.

Why can't I install this software?

This has happened to me before with some versions of POI Loader too.

I click to launch the setup program and I get a screen saying click NEXT to proceed.

Well there is no NEXT button!

It just stays like this...

Anyone have this problem?

Any Fix ?

I've had this problem before and it was a screen size issue. The program doesn't resize the program window based on your selected screen size so the button isn't displayed in the window frame. Try resizing your screen to to a standard 1024x768 or even 800x600 and rerun the program and see if the "next" button shows up then.

How would I go about removing the ibycus maps so that I can get mapsource running?

Run uninstall.exe from C:\Program Files\IbycusUSA - Make sure that MapSource is not running when you do this.

or

Install the older version again.

Edited by ryleyinstl
How would I go about removing the ibycus maps so that I can get mapsource running?

Run uninstall.exe from C:\Program Files\IbycusUSA - Make sure that MapSource is not running when you do this.

or

Install the older version again.

Thanks, uninstalled just fine. Now I just have to find some maps that will work for my area (CO, NM) until ibycus maps have been updated.

The old (fast) and new (stupid slow) version of Mapsource will easily coexist in the same folder.

What the new version of Mapsource gains in aesthetics it looses in usability. I'm running a quad core 3GHz on a high end system and I find it annoyingly slow to redraw. I can't imagine how this might run on an older system. It would be nice if the old rendering method was an option in the settings.

Well until Garmin address this there is an easy fix. Before you install make a copy of the mapsource.exe file (old one) and put it aside. Install the new 6.14.1. When the install is complete copy the old mapsource.exe (renamed of course) mapsource_old.exe for example to your mapsource folder. Note you only need the mapsource EXE. Its about 10meg.

The last step is to create a shortcut to the old mapsource executable.

If I want to capture a screen with a nice map, or print a nice looking map I load the new mapsource, Mapsource HD ;-). If all I'm doing is searching for locations or messing about I load the older version.

What I would really like to see is Garmin add a simple render button to the button bar. Then I could simply pan around in the less CPU intensive version and once I have what I want on screen, I simply press render (click) and the pretty map appears.

I'm not sure why this thing runs so slow. Seems to me their render engine needs some tweaking.

I've got several none Garmin maps and the all appear to work.

I played around with the font size in 6.14.1, because some of the MapSource text shrunk and is rather hard to read, like the blue text for POI's got smaller. After messing with the font size I noticed the text on my waypoints no longer were displayed. I tried all the options but no waypoint text. So I decided to reinstall 6.13.7 without uninstall 6.14.1 first. This went fine, but I still get the 6.14.1 multicolor/larger icons?? So I then uninstalled 6.13.7. Thus no MapSource on my computer, and then reinstall 6.13.7. Now I still see the 6.14.1 icons. I don't have a problem looking at the new icons but if anyone knows how I can go back to the 6.13.7 icons please tell me, in case I want to have a complete 6.13.7 system.

I just updated the new version to my Vista laptop. No problems with the download or install. However, not sure I like the look of the new version. Might play with it for a week or so before deciding if I want to go back to the older version. It does run slower than the old version.

I just updated the new version to my Vista laptop. No problems with the download or install. However, not sure I like the look of the new version. Might play with it for a week or so before deciding if I want to go back to the older version. It does run slower than the old version.

The old (fast) and new (stupid slow) version of Mapsource will easily coexist in the same folder.

As posted in my earlier post you don't need to make it an all or nothing preposition. Just get a copy of the mpasourse.exe from your desktop presumably a 6.13.x version, rename it and copy it to your new install. Make a shortcut to this file, and there you go you have both. Only ads 10meg to the size of the install.

I'm not keen on the stupid slow render either. I'd much rather have the old render and then have the option of clicking on a button to "enhance" the map.

By the way there is no reason this thing runs so dadgum slow. If it took advantage of any hardware acceleration this thing would be lightning fast. It appears to use old visual basic APIs that are notoriously slow!

Edited by Quiet-Tiger

I'm not going to upgrade until I hear that they got the bugs worked out. What was Garmin thinking?

Bug? it is a feature. That's what Garmin is thinking.

It is fine to have both version co-exist. On rare occasion I need to print the map, the new version looks better. So I treat it as a bonus tool, not replacement one.

On one of my machine, all the waypoint names is not displaced though (as some posts reported here ). That map database contains non english characters on some waypoints, perhaps any of one them can become a show stopper