Mapsource TopoGB vs CN + transp. topo

stfish

Mapsource TopoGBV2 vs CN + transp. topo which is most useful (accurate, updated, editable..)?. I am moving to UK and looking at map availibility. Looking at Garmins Topo GB compared to topo for other countries Im not too impressed - seems to be based on 1:50k, has v few paths, roads are hard to pick, streets are not named and contours are not removed on declutter. How about transparent topo over CN ? - (this works in au - where I am now - only near cities). Are Nasa contours more accurate ? I am interested in long distance fpaths mostly Scotland, coastal England..

For caching, the wife and I use a Vista Cx loaded with Topo 2 GB. This steers us to near the caches by road then, as we transfer to shank's pony, we switch over to "off-road".

While the unit is nowhere near as detailed as an Ordnance Survey map, we have experienced no difficulty in using this methodology. It saves us having to set up the Streetpilot in the car then taking it down every time we park the car. Usually the footpaths and water features are detailed on the small screen. It's fine.

As an aside, we have recently signed up to a safety camera database service:

SCBD European Speed Cam Database

...this site lets you download for any device for a modest annual fee. I was delighted to find I was able to upload the waypoints (5201 for the UK) into the eTrex - and it worked just like the Streetpilot.

Mapsource TopoGBV2 vs CN + transp. topo which is most useful (accurate, updated, editable..)?. I am moving to UK and looking at map availibility. Looking at Garmins Topo GB compared to topo for other countries Im not too impressed - seems to be based on 1:50k, has v few paths, roads are hard to pick, streets are not named and contours are not removed on declutter. How about transparent topo over CN ? - (this works in au - where I am now - only near cities). Are Nasa contours more accurate ? I am interested in long distance fpaths mostly Scotland, coastal England..

I can't answer many of your questions because I don't recognise the terms you use, but I'll do the bits I can <_< .

You are correct, the UK Topo maps are not very good, but they do have street names (and numbers). They also do routing, including on the device. They have many footpaths, but not all, and there is no indication of rights of way.

There are is also an open mapping system that is being built up by public contribution (I don't know if that is what you mean by CN). This is much more detailed than Topo, but currently is considerably less complete (e.g. lots of roads aren't named). At present it doesn't do routing, which is why I don't use it, as I use the eTrex as a SatNav on my motor-bike. I understand that is being worked on, but I have no details. I expect that if the open system gets routing, then in the long term I am likely to convert to using that instead.

Edited to say the open system is called openstreetmap. I also have found a URL for downloading compiled UK maps, but it is a low bandwidth server and it's not clear to me if I'm allowed to publish the URL openly. I can email it to you if you need it.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

If you have a pocket PC for caching (with GPS) then Memory Map is the best. This is the government Ordnance Survey and is the most detailed. But they don't run on Garmin units. I've got Topo GB on my Garmin and am not that impressed. As commented it is isn't detailed with regard to topo features which I find amusing considering what it is called. I use Memory Map on my PC and Pocket PC (Mio P550) most of the time now. If you have seen the Ordnance Survey maps you can view them on their website. The normal scales walkers/cachers use are the 1:50K scale (1km = 2cm) and 1:25k scale.

Chris

MrB

Edited to say the open system is called openstreetmap. I also have found a URL for downloading compiled UK maps, but it is a low bandwidth server and it's not clear to me if I'm allowed to publish the URL openly. I can email it to you if you need it.

If you are talking about the UK maps I compile from the OpenStreetMap data, then the URL can be posted; they are now also available on a high-bandwidth site: http:// http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/garminoverlays/index.php

There are two versions of the UK maps available there; one with contours [using the SMC data gathered fron NASA] and one without contours. These cover the whole of the UK as well as all of Ireland. Most long distance trails are already on these maps, it is local [small] footpath that tend to be missing most.

Also, instead of MemoryMap on a Windows Mobile PDA/SmartPhone you can use Quo from Mapyx instead, as it is cheaper and seems pretty good too. You an get both the desktop and Windows Mobile software for free from http://mapyx.com you only pay for the maps, unless you want the extra features of the Pro version instead. Either way, it still works out cheaper than MemoryMap.

No I don't work for Mapyx, but I do assist OpenStreetMap by uploading my tracks and making changes to the map where I have been.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for replies - sometimes hard to make out info for maps from Garmin sites. I think I will try City navigator for W Europe and put transparent topo tiles for the regions Ill be hiking in. SMC seems good but does large latitude slices of topo slow redraw rate (on CX60). Open Street Maps has great maps (in some areas) + i like the editability of them - but files are .img - how do you get to see them in Mapsource? (I use M3 to go from .img to Mapsource which for OSM adds jagged roads + seems to lose close detail).