Dear God Please help...

Munny

First off I have to say that I had an Explorist 600 and I loved it to death, literally. I was sad to find out that Magellan was no longer supporting the product so after buying the maps and getting well acquainted with the unit, gsak, and the such I went about my way geocaching and turning new pwople on to the sport. I was sad to find that Magellan no longer supported the product but would offer me a trade in for the new Triton. I went with the Triton 500 and found it to be a big piece of crap.I am now gpsless and at my wits end for a new unit. please help. I need a unit that can do these things.

1) handheld

2) Mount to a bike/motorcycle

3) work with GSAK

4) Load detail maps so I can use it around town

5) NOT BE A MAGELLAN PRODUCT

6) around $200

any help would be appreciated all the information is overwhelming.

Edited by Munny

First off I have to say that I had an Explorist 600 and I loved it to death, literally. I was sad to find out that Magellan was no longer supporting the product so after buying the maps and getting well acquainted with the unit, gsak, and the such I went about my way geocaching and turning new pwople on to the sport. I was sad to find that Magellan no longer supported the product but would offer me a trade in for the new Triton. I went with the Triton 500 and found it to be a big piece of crap.I am now gpsless and at my wits end for a new unit. please help. I need a unit that can do these things.

1) handheld

3) work with GSAK

6) around $200

well... now the garmin oregon is out, wait a couple weeks, and buy a

used colorado from someone who's just moved closer to the bleeding

edge of technology.... <_<

fulthrotl

well the best bang for your buck around $200 is the vista hcx IMO. Its not large, but not small either.....good on battery, good reception, I find it a better sturdier fit on my bicycle than my 60csx

edit:

you meant motorcycle, then I guess any larger unit would do......60csx is tried and true, colorado is somewhat of a let down.......and the oregon may be too who knows

Edited by gratefulHIKE

well the best bang for your buck around $200 is the vista hcx IMO. Its not large, but not small either.....good on battery, good reception, I find it a better sturdier fit on my bicycle than my 60csx

Actually I prefer the Legend HCx. I have no use for the altimeter, and rather use a 10 dollar magnetic compass than the one built into the Vista. Otherwise they are the same. You can get the Legend for around 190 bucks if you look around.

1) handheld

3) work with GSAK

6) around $200

I suppose you know that the "detailed maps" themselves will be an additional cost of around $100.

Yep... I think for that money, I'd get the LegendHCX and buy the maps of the city streets.

...and I've had a Magellan colorsportrac, and Garmin Legend, and a Garmin 60CS.

The next price jump would be up to $500+ for the Garmin 60CSX or the Colorado.

Then the ultimate latest, greatest today would be $700 for the Garmin Oregon.

Edited by ventura_kids

For your price and specs, the refurb Delorme PN-20's at TigerGPS might be worth considering...GPS and maps for $200.

The scale tipper for me (putting myself in your shoes) would be how much autorouting you intend to do. The Legend will calculate routes more quickly, and the PN-20 can really bog down trying to calculate routes of great length or in urban congestion. If you're doing short routes and/or something other than big city stuff, the PN-20 should be ok.