Palm/GSAK/Vista operating system issue

This is probably an issue that was dealt with in past...but, I "upgraded" to a new computer with a MS Vista Home Premium operating system (silly boy...) and I had several issues. One of them is that I cannot get my caches in GSAK to send the cache info to my Palm M500 (old one) that has worked flawlessly for years.

I read where Version 6.2 of the Palm Desktop software is available for Vista...but only for the Palm Centro, Treo 755p, 700p, 680, 650, Palm Z22, TX and Tungsten E2.

When I try to use the Palm One Quick Install I get an error message: "No desktop users exist. Create a new user through Palm Desktop and thne start Quick Install again."

I believe that I do have a desktop user in Palm Desktop. What am I doing wrong? Some step-by-step instructions would be appreciated.

Also, would appreciate a recommendation for one or two models of the Palm that will work with MS Vista software. I would probably buy a used one on E-Bay. My M500 has a very nice hard case and it would be nice if there is a Vista Compatible that would fit that case....but I am probably being overly optimistic.

Thanks for your help in advance!! :rolleyes:

RNBLVER

...but, I "upgraded" to a new computer with a MS Vista Home Premium operating system (silly boy...) and I had several issues. One of them is that I cannot get my caches in GSAK to send the cache info to my Palm M500 (old one) that has worked flawlessly for years.

I read where Version 6.2 of the Palm Desktop software is available for Vista...but only for the Palm Centro, Treo 755p, 700p, 680, 650, Palm Z22, TX and Tungsten E2.

When I try to use the Palm One Quick Install I get an error message: "No desktop users exist. Create a new user through Palm Desktop and thne start Quick Install again."

I believe that I do have a desktop user in Palm Desktop. What am I doing wrong? Some step-by-step instructions would be appreciated.

Also, would appreciate a recommendation for one or two models of the Palm that will work with MS Vista software. I would probably buy a used one on E-Bay. My M500 has a very nice hard case and it would be nice if there is a Vista Compatible that would fit that case....but I am probably being overly optimistic.

Thanks for your help in advance!! :laughing:

RNBLVER

I had just acquired an older Palm M130 (swapped for a bottle of bourbon) and discovered the wonders of paperless caching when I too "upgraded" to Vista on a new notebook ... Palm would not sync. Vista was the problem, and I solved it by installing a "Virtual Computer" running XPPro on my Vista desktop. The software came free on a magazine cover CD - and works brilliantly!

It's called Virtual Machine Shop Lite, and the machine it creates runs with VMware Player. If anybody wants to try it, the Player is available as a free download from http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ , and the VMSL program is only about 4 MB were I to email it to you.

Regards, Sean

:mad:

I was recently given a Palm III.xe to use for paperless caching but I have been getting the error message form the desktop "No desktop users exist. Create a new user through Palm desktop and the start the Quick Install again" I have done this and the message is still coming up. I have tryed reinstalling and rebooting also and no luck.

Please, help if you can.

The reason for the "create new user" error is that Vista is causing the Palm Desktop to look in a different place for the data files. The Palm Desktop looks there and sees there are no data files yet and gives the error. I don't have my Vista laptop handy right now so I can't tell you exactly where to look for those files, but you can do it yourself. All you need to do is let the install create a new user for you. Then, if you know the names of any of the data files, use the Search feature in Windows Explorer to find them.

You will find the old files in C:\Program Files\Palm... I can't remember where the new ones will be in Vista.

Anyway, once you find out where the new ones are you can copy the old ones over the new ones and you should be back in business.

Make sure you have backups of the PC data files. Also make sure that you have the files on your handheld backed up to the SD card, if you have a model that has an SD card. I use CardBkup on the handheld and it works really well for total or selective restores.

Another trick that works in Vista is to force the installation program to run as Administrator and to run in XP compatibility mode when it does the installation. That will force it to use the old file locations when it's doing the installation.

If I recall correctly, you will also probably need to force the Palm.exe program and the Hotsync.exe program to run as administrator and run in XP compatibility mode.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

This is probably an issue that was dealt with in past...but, I "upgraded" to a new computer with a MS Vista Home Premium operating system (silly boy...) and I had several issues. One of them is that I cannot get my caches in GSAK to send the cache info to my Palm M500 (old one) that has worked flawlessly for years.

Thanks for your help in advance!! :unsure:

RNBLVER

Instead of installing in the default c:\Program Files\Palmone install under C:\Palm. I had the same probem and everything started to work. I am using Vista with Palm OS 4.14 and an old Palm III. Hope this helps.

:unsure:

I was recently given a Palm III.xe to use for paperless caching but I have been getting the error message form the desktop "No desktop users exist. Create a new user through Palm desktop and the start the Quick Install again" I have done this and the message is still coming up. I have tryed reinstalling and rebooting also and no luck.

Please, help if you can.

Instead of installing in the default c:\Program Files\Palmone install under C:\Palm. I had the same probem and everything started to work (Palm now knows where to look for the files). I am using Vista with Palm OS 4.14 and an old Palm III. Hope this helps.