Garmin eTrex Legend (Non-Color) Wanting better street maps

Ok, I finally got my GPS to use a PC cable instead of hand inputting each waypoint. But I really want better street maps for this. I know that it can only hold so much information (8mb I believe), but where can I get more detailed street maps for say California (southern).

Is there "free" sites or am I putting out $20 or so.

If there is a site where I can get please let me know.

I went to Garmin and they have TOPO maps but that is not what I am looking for nor their marine maps (I don't think I am going scuba diving for any caches in the near future)

Any help here would be great

Ok I got Ibycus loaded in my PC but they are just images. What next.

I see on the site that I need mapsource or something. Is there a freebie version that I can use with Ibycus that I then can DL into my Garmin eTrex Legend (blue one without color screen).

Any more help would be great.

Thanks

Ok I have Ibycus images on my PC and I have tried to DL Garmins Training Center like the Ibycus web sites says and it wont load or see my Garmin

What am I missing?

I have tried loading the software 3x's.

Is there a softeware out there (free hopefully) that I can use the images from Ibycus and DL to my Garmin?

Ok I have Ibycus images on my PC and I have tried to DL Garmins Training Center like the Ibycus web sites says and it wont load or see my Garmin

What am I missing?

I have tried loading the software 3x's.

Is there a softeware out there (free hopefully) that I can use the images from Ibycus and DL to my Garmin?

1. OK, you don't run training center, you just install it. You have to install it to be able to install the MapSource update.

2. Then you install MapSource v6.13.7, and not the new version. A link to v6.13.7 is here:

http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe

3. Then install Ibycus' maps. Make sure to get the USv1.4 The link is here:

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/IbycusUSA14.exe

4. Then you run MapSource to load your maps into your unit.

Edited by coggins

This may not what I am looking for. From what I can tell I have to use geocaching.com and find each way point that I want then tell Mapsource with Ibycus Maps what waypoints I want and add it to mapsource, then DL it to my GPS.

I am confused.

I want to load the maps to my GPS, then use my pocket query to DL to my GPS.

Can I not do it this way.

This seems to be needless moves to get this done.

HELP!

After following the steps above, MapSource will have the Ibycus maps installed. Here is Temecula:

7103cd0a-dbc8-45ad-8e2b-f3fd80cdb4a1.jpg

And here is the load on a GPS:

f2225fa5-a841-4c6a-96ec-b126fe2e1e1a.jpg

Just follow the steps, it works, and you will have the maps in your GPS.

After that, getting the PQ's loaded will be the next step. The other option would be to purchase Garmin maps...

Edited by coggins

Refering to the following picture: The top toolbar has a Hand Tool, two icons to the left of this is a yellow Map Tool, directly to the right of the Send To Device Tool. You use the Map Tool to select map tiles. The selected tiles will show up in the left User Data Map Tab. There is no need to unlock these maps, they are not locked. You can not send the maps because you do not have any maps selected yet. Select some and then you can send them.

7103cd0a-dbc8-45ad-8e2b-f3fd80cdb4a1.jpg

I must be doing something wrong.

I can see the maps from Ibycus in Mapsource. It shows the areas with street names, but I attempted to load and it tells me that I need to pick a map.

Reading the help menu in mapsource it shows that I need to unlock the maps?

When I go to send information to garmin it will not allow me to check the "Maps" box on information that I need to send. Could this be the reason why?

I have been able to load FULL maps onto my Garmin. Boy it is almost time for me to update my GPS so I can fit more.

Just one thing:

I have not been able to figure out how to only load certain sections (parts of cities/streets) from the maps onto Garmin. Los Angeles takes up ALL my memory and I have finds that I want to do in two different maps. If I can just get it to only transfer certain sections of maps that would be great.

Any way of doing that?

I have tried just using the map tool to highlight a section and it does not seem to work.

No, you're probably stuck there. The Ibycus maps are broken up by county, at least in my area. LA will have a lot of data, so I'm not surprised it takes up your 8 MB. Be glad you can load anything at all...the new City Navigator separates map tiles by state. I'm pretty sure CA wouldn't fit. :unsure:

That said, if you are considering upgrading, take a look at the Legend Hcx. Similar to what you're used to with the Legend, but has a color screen, the high sensitivity receiver, and removable memory.