Comparing Garmin Handhelds

In the fall I'll be going to Germany for a semester of study. Of course I'm planning to bring a small GPS for geocaching and general navigation.

Based on available maps of Europe, I've decided to go with Garmin. I have to watch the pennies, since I'm still a student, and will not be working while in Germany. I'll likely be purchasing something used or refurbished.

I'm looking at the GPSMaps 60Cx, the eTrex Legend HCx, and the eTrex Vista HCx.

At least according to Garmin's own website, there is virtually no difference between any of these three units. When I look at the comparison chart, they have exactly the same specifications other than size and weight.

Is form factor the only difference?

Basically, I'm looking for a small handheld with good battery life, color screen, ability to load maps of Europe, autorouting capability, good price.

Are there any other models I should consider?

Jamie

Any one of those would do what you're looking for. Your right…the form factor is the biggest difference. The capabilities of the 60CX and Legend HCx are very closely matched. The Vista HCx would add an altimeter and electronic compass.

"....small handheld with good battery life, color screen, ability to load maps of Europe, autorouting capability, good price...." Get the Legend HCx....I just picked one up a few weeks ago for $183.00

Free maps of Europe here…… http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ and here http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/

EDIT: Free street maps here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Main_Page

Edited by ryleyinstl

The other noticable difference between the 60's and the Etrex's is the antenna, quad helix in the 60 & patch in the Etrex,, although I don't think either antenna design is currently superior to the other (years ago quad was better,, but no longer now)

As far as watching the pennies.. hear hear! I've been scratching my head about the Colorados & the new Oregons.. WOW they're expensive!! Why are they 2x the price of a Vista/Legend???? Sorry if this is off topic :rolleyes:

Edited by IVxIV

The etrex line and the 60 series offer virtually the same features with the primary differences being the form factor, chips, and antennas.

60Cx = [EDIT] Legend HCX (these do not include a compass or barometric altimeter)

60CSx = Vista HCX (these include a compass and barometric altimeter)

The primary differences are:

The 60 series have buttons on front (easier for car navigation); the etrex series have a click stick on the side (allows smaller form which is better for backpacking).

The 60 series use the SirfStar III chip with a quad helix antenna, whereas the etrex use a MediaTek chip with a patch antenna. In theory, both setups should perform equally well, but the MediaTek chips have bugs that are still being worked out. The SirfStar III has been on the market longer and has benefitted from more product development.

My personal preference is for the tried and true 60CSx; the used prices will probably be similiar to the used Vista.

GW

Edited by Glenn W

There are a few other differences, such as the 500 vs. 1000 waypoint limit. See: http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries...csx/models.html

I've seen too many of the eTrex models with the rubber banding thing around the edge coming off to get excited about them for heavy use.

If a Garmin fits your need and 24MB will hold the maps you care about, the Venture HC is an interesting model. Priced at less than a yellow B&W etrex with a cable, the feature set is about the same as the models above, minus expandable memory. It has some compatibility problems w/ non-Windows OSes, though.

...I've seen too many of the eTrex models with the rubber banding thing around the edge coming off to get excited about them for heavy use...

And the problem with the 60's is the buttons protruding from the body. The rubber coating is thin and will wear down to where all you see is the white light that lights the button. On my 60CS, the cover is what wore out the buttons from the friction.

Some other differences: the 60 has an external connection for an antenna; the 60 has both a USB and serial PC interface connection. The 60 is larger and heavier. The Etrex have longer battery life and are better suited than the 60s for bicycles.

I don't need a compass or altimeter.

Do these models support custom POIs?

Thanks for all the help so far. You've all cleared up much confusion I had.

Glenn, you meant Legend HCx, right? Far as I can tell, there's no such thing as a Venture HCx.

Jamie

[edit] Crap, I'm confused again. Is there a Venture HCx? If there is, what's the difference between the Venture and the Legend?

Edited by Jamie Z

If you don't need a compass or altimeter, I recommend getting the Legend HCx. It supports auto-routing, POIs, and can hold lots of maps, depending on the size of the card you get. I have the Vista HCx and like its small, convenient size.

I have a Venture HC and really like it for caching, but I don't use it for driving. It only has the 24 mb internal memory, no card slot. From reading other threads, apparently the 24 will hold a lot of topo maps, but perhaps not enough space for detailed road maps?? (Check on that before you choose that one because I don't really know.) I don't have any additional maps loaded on mine, use a Nuvi 350 for the car.

The person is correct that there is no Venture HCx--the "x" means a card slot, "C" means color screen, "H" means the newer high-sensitivity receiver, or so I've read. The Venture is HC. There is a Legend HCx. The rest of the eTrex line are the Summits & Vistas, which have the altimeters, I think. The Garmin site will compare all these and the 60's. Amazon among others has much lower prices than the suggested ones on the Garmin site. I've never used a 60, but have seen those--they are bigger and heavier than the eTrexes. HTHS--

Enjoy your time in Germany, it's a pretty country!

Edited by busternfruss

All the Garmin handhelds with an external media card support customized POIs. As do the Venture HC and Summit HC with the appropriate softwate update.

I have a Venture HC and really like it for caching, but I don't use it for driving. It only has the 24 mb internal memory, no card slot. From reading other threads, apparently the 24 will hold a lot of topo maps, but perhaps not enough space for detailed road maps??

NA MetroGuide is the appropriate mapping software for the Venture HC. The mapsets are small - most average between .5-2 mb. As an example, from Atlanta, GA, going up and down 50 miles and 70 miles to the sides, takes 17.4 mb with maps from MetroGuide v8. That'll leave you room for 6mb for customized POIs. About 3mb holds about 15000 waypoints.

All the Garmin handhelds with an external media card support customized POIs. As do the Venture HC and Summit HC with the appropriate softwate update.

I have a Venture HC and really like it for caching, but I don't use it for driving. It only has the 24 mb internal memory, no card slot. From reading other threads, apparently the 24 will hold a lot of topo maps, but perhaps not enough space for detailed road maps??

NA MetroGuide is the appropriate mapping software for the Venture HC. The mapsets are small - most average between .5-2 mb. As an example, from Atlanta, GA, going up and down 50 miles and 70 miles to the sides, takes 17.4 mb with maps from MetroGuide v8. That'll leave you room for 6mb for customized POIs. About 3mb holds about 15000 waypoints.

Sorry if too OT, but--

Where do you get NA MetroGuide, and how detailed is it? Does it clutter the screen too much when you get near the geocache? Just wondering; it would be nice if the map in my Venture HC had more roads and streets. Can't use it at all to get to the general location of a cache unless I know where that is. Would be nice if I didn't have to bring the Nuvi when just caching in fairly nearby areas. (Love it for trips, though! But I only put the Nuvi in the car if I need it, not all the time.) Thanks