What kind of GPS to buy?

Nibsie

Welcome to the Forums! :rolleyes:

When I first started caching I got a GPSr that connected with the Serial Port, then I got a laptop that didn't have a Serial Connection. :rolleyes:

When I first started caching, the GPSr I bought couldn't do auto-routing, and then I found out how useful that was, for me.

So I upgraded to a GPSr that connected with USB and could auto-route with the optional City Navigator maps installed. I got the Vista HCx.

I recommend either the Legend HCx or Vista HCx if your budget for the GPSr and maps is less than $300.00.

What do you consider a lot of $$?

I am looking to buy a GPS today too! Do they all come with USB to download from the computer? The old one I had for my classroom didn't have that feature. What other features should I be looking for?

Some older models have a serial connection so you will need an adaptor.

Some nice features are color display, expandable map memory, geocaching mode, turn by turn driving directions and durability and water resistance.

I'm going to kind of go the other direction...

I have a vista hcx and with its street navigation abilities and its ability to take external memory cards its a great unit, however if those things have little value to you then I also have a summit hc thats every bit as good and performs just as good as the vista hcx does but doesnt have the on-road auto routing features and doesnt take external memory cards, it does however have 24mb of internal memory which is capable of holding alot more area of maps than it seems, I have ibycus's street maps on my summit and can fit almost the whole state of wisconsin on it, thats not the whole universe worth of maps, but plenty for what I need it for, and if need be it only takes my laptop and a few minutes to down load whatever other area I may need onto it...

another plus for the summit hc is that its cheaper than the hcx's, quite a bit if you look around and find a deal, I paid $155 shipped to my door for mine, my vista hcx was $240 when I bought it and I have yet to see them much below $210-$230...

if having the electronic compass isnt important to you then the venture hc is basically the summit hc without the compass and altimeter and IMO is every bit as capable as the hcx units too, I've seen them for $115 with free shipping(and they still are), thats $100 less than the hcx's, you could buy a topo map and still have 1/4 of the money you saved left over...

I picked up my summit hc just for a spare/workhorse for my vista hcx but for $115/free shipping I'm right on the verge of picking up a venture hc myself, just for a spare/workhorse for my summit hc... :rolleyes:

Edited by wasted

If you are really looking to go bare minimum you can get an old school GPSr like mine (Magellan GPS 300) for less than $30. It doesn't have any fancy features, you can't even connect it to a computer. But it tells you where you are (Coordinates only) and tells you which way to go (Waypoints entered manually). As far as features that's about it. It's very basic but very cheap, and it always puts me pretty close to the caches... In most cases right on!

The only reason I'm using it is because it was free (intercepted a "Good Will" box from family member) if I weren't poor and/or the GPSr didn't work I would make sure to get one that could connect to your computer because entering points in by hand is no fun.

:rolleyes:

I agree with USU ENGINEER. If you are just trying geocaching out and not sure if you will like it (you will :-), then a basic GPSr works well. A unit like a Magellan eXplorist 100 or 210, or a Garmin eTrex Yellow or Legend, can be acquired for little money. I've seen Yellow eTrex units for under $40 bucks at a pawn shop.

When I started, I bought a orange eXplorist 100 brand new for under $100. Does not have maps and you have to enter the coordinated in manually, but the GPSr was very accurate. Really is easy to enter coords manually - only takes a minute.

I did over 200 caches with the Magellan before buying an eTrex Legend. Even though my Legend has computer connection and maps, I still like to use my eXplorist 100 for quick cache hunts.

(I'm even thinking of carrying my eXplorist in my backpack to and from work. You never know when a cache will be newly approved and close to work - lunchtime caching maybe?)

Edited by Fuzzywhip

(I'm even thinking of carrying my eXplorist in my backpack to and from work. You never know when a cache will be newly approved and close to work - lunchtime caching maybe?)

Hehe, i have done this a few times while at school, im currently using (borrowing) a Garmin 76s and seem to be having a little trouble with it. Looking at getting my own (sorry to hijack the thread) but whats available in Australia that you would recommend?

I think i have seen those orange Etrex around at dick smith.

Good buy?

Edited by PacketStorm4

I agree with USU ENGINEER. If you are just trying geocaching out and not sure if you will like it (you will :-), then a basic GPSr works well. A unit like a Magellan eXplorist 100 or 210, or a Garmin eTrex Yellow or Legend, can be acquired for little money. I've seen Yellow eTrex units for under $40 bucks at a pawn shop.

When I started, I bought a orange eXplorist 100 brand new for under $100. Does not have maps and you have to enter the coordinated in manually, but the GPSr was very accurate. Really is easy to enter coords manually - only takes a minute.

I did over 200 caches with the Magellan before buying an eTrex Legend. Even though my Legend has computer connection and maps, I still like to use my eXplorist 100 for quick cache hunts.

I originally had the explorist 100 and didn't like it, it was to hard to get used to the interface anf just was annoying typing in all the coords manually, I upgraded to the Garmin Vista C and that worked great awesome userablity and easy functions