New States

Excellent - at last I can see the reasoning.....

00d5063b-b97a-4ed0-ae21-91ebbd259ab7.jpg

Look - Bristol's no longer in the South west.

Now how are they going to explain away their tractor-driver accent...?? :rolleyes:<_<:)

Nah, that drawlen sain rite issit. I nowse where to find ee. Bristle taint en souf of England look, iss in the soufwesst! :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh bah.... I thought I was ahead of the game changing all my Bristol ones to SW England and now I realised I got the wrong area... best change them again......

Dead again

now getting

"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Geocaching.UI.geocaching_nearest.ShowCountryState(Int64 StateID, Int64 CountryID) at ASP.seek_nearest_aspx.__DataBind__control5(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren() at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.DataBind() at Geocaching.UI.geocaching_nearest.ProcessResults(OriginWpt OriginWpt) at Geocaching.UI.geocaching_nearest.DisplayPageResultData()"

Seems that this error is being generated to all profiles that have amended the Zones on their caches.

Seems also the page that any of the changed caches appear on can't be viewed, frog needs that VET NOW!

Still dead, more and more caches are being hidden!!

Edited to say it's all working again now ......and I'm just going to sedate me ol' man with a big whisky so he doesn't look again........and I'll tell him to leave off the red print . :rolleyes:

Edited by t.a.folk

Looking at the map Yorkshire is not named... is a "state" in its own right or has it another name? MaxKim

It's Yorkshire and Humber in the drop down box in the submission page. It should be Humberside :rolleyes:

Also has anyone noticed that the coordinate location is now shown in a Google Map on the cache page as well. Another thanks to the developers for that :rolleyes:

Oh and Croaghan is tiding up a site which has a copy of the static map for quick reference and a link to download the GE overlay

I think your missing my point, I choose not to include this value, it has no value to me. I am not "asked" to provide this "value". I am in fact compelled to provide this value. Try listing a cache without it!

Since when did the North West become a state? It is in a state I will grant that!

:rolleyes:

But it may well have value to the people wishing to find your caches! I thought caches were placed for the benefit of the finders, not the placers. :rolleyes:

Lisa

Yup they are placed for the finders, they have been found perfectly well without this feature, go on convince me how this feature will benefit them?

:rolleyes:

Well, personally (as I stated in the previous thread on this subject) I would dearly love to have an easy way to eliminate London and Essex caches from my PQs, as I don't often venture into these areas. London especially is a high-density area so PQs centered in Kent will get quickly filled with London caches, as opposed to caches in the further reaches of Kent. Of course, I could play around with the centre point of my PQ to take this into account but wouldn't it be nice to set the centre point in my local area and not have the protracted process of trial and error in order to find the optimum centre point - which will change as time passes? Some of my current PQs would pick up caches in France and Belgium but luckily I can select UK only and eliminate those!

OK I accept that this feature will have limited use until all caches are amended to take use of it but I hope at some point that natural cache turnover will force more and more caches to include the 'state'. If it wasn't implemented there would be no chance of this happening at all.

If you are living further inland with no geographical reason to eliminate a particular direction of travel, I fully accept this change will be of much less benefit to you.

Maybe what I have said won't convince you (I'm not hopeful) but I'm convinced that, if all caches had the 'state' field completed, it would benefit me personally!

Lisa

Well.... I for one am happy with the change! Eventually I will be able to exclude South Wales caches from my PQ for caching trips up towards the Severn estuary (that great big barrier between England and Wales), and likewise when I go to South Wales for a visit to my sister I can exclude caches in Southern England.

Now all we need to do is get the State attribute added to all the old caches so it can be useful.

(and before anyone asks I know this can be done with polygon filters in GSAK - but it will be nicer to do it with a PQ)

Isn't it wonderful? For months lots of people have been asking for this and the moment it's provided the complaints start. It makes even me think that maybe Groundspeak may have a good reason for not responding to requests. :rolleyes:

Well I am happy :rolleyes:

PS that lovely little teddy does not go with the GOG title! :rolleyes:

Ooh - already there are 14 caches (not including mine) in the southeast that have had the region added - and not all the owners are forum regulars! :rolleyes:

Lisa

A new cache listed in North West yesterday has been updated to Northwest England and the owner does not venture on here, plus my two up there thats at least three :rolleyes:

Okay - some people might not be happy where certain towns and cities are located or which region they've been plonked into BUT - I think its a good concession to common sense. I like it - I can't think of a practical use for it with the method of caching that I do - but more information is always a good thing. And besides we all play the game differently... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Isn't it wonderful? For months lots of people have been asking for this and the moment it's provided the complaints start. It makes even me think that maybe Groundspeak may have a good reason for not responding to requests. :rolleyes:

Now the frog is feeling better I'm happy, it will come in useful at some boundries. If cache owners can't be bothered to select one dropdown box to update their listings, well it's another useful filter in an unintended way I guess :rolleyes:

Oh bah.... I thought I was ahead of the game changing all my Bristol ones to SW England and now I realised I got the wrong area... best change them again......

Leave them in the south west. You're right, maps wrong, users will be selecting the south west in Bristol I reccon :rolleyes:

Philip

I'm confused...

According to that map I live in "North West England"

This was mentioned before. The pin for North West England is to the left of the N. The diagram needs to be better than that if it is to be used as a guide.

Oh! Pardon me for breathing! Not bothered about "pins", just need to know where I live, or at least where my caches are... none of the labels on the map seem to cover West Yorkshire

I'm confused...

According to that map I live in "North West England"

This was mentioned before. The pin for North West England is to the left of the N. The diagram needs to be better than that if it is to be used as a guide.

Oh! Pardon me for breathing! Not bothered about "pins", just need to know where I live, or at least where my caches are... none of the labels on the map seem to cover West Yorkshire

"oh! Pardon me for breathing!"? Bad week Ian? hehe

Isn't it wonderful? For months lots of people have been asking for this and the moment it's provided the complaints start. It makes even me think that maybe Groundspeak may have a good reason for not responding to requests. <_<

Not got a problem with them providing it but why do I "have" to use it?

drop down box, not chosen, dead easy!

Isn't it wonderful? For months lots of people have been asking for this and the moment it's provided the complaints start. It makes even me think that maybe Groundspeak may have a good reason for not responding to requests. <_<

But there were also lots of people who didn't ask for it - or vocally (in here, and other forae(?)) argued against the need for it.

Now it seems that everybody has to have it, whether they wanted it or not...

People aren't complaining because it's now an option - they're complaining because they now have no choice!

Edited by keehotee

Still can't see a use for this feature at all, yet now we have to choose a region when placing a cache. Why?

Can anyone really give me a proper explanation of the use of this feature, it strikes me as they have it so we must have it.

OK I don't really mind having it their for other people to use if they want to......Just why oh why do I have to be compelled to use a feature that is rock all use!

Not being a whiz at using GSAK, this feature could be very useful for me once it gets going.

As an example, when I get back from the Mega Event in a few weeks time, it would be very useful for me to be able to 'clean up' my GSAK database by removing any unfound caches in 'Yorkshire and Humberside'. This is because I don't get up that way very often and it would help prevent me looking for caches that have been archived next time I visit because of an out of date GSAK record (as happened to me last time when I was in London with GC14X7V).

So for someone like myself who doesn't have time to become a GSAK sensei, this feature has at least one obvious utility.

Of course, the usefulnes of this feature is somewhat negated if people choose to chose 'not chosen' ( <_< ) as a location for their listings!

Mike

Edited to add the odd full stop - its still rather early in the morning after all!

Edited again because I'm a muppet without (and some would say with) my morning coffee inside me...

Edited by Von-Horst

People aren't complaining because it's now an option - they're complaining because they now have no choice!

I don't see the big deal? People spend lots of time preparing cache boxes, researching an area, getting permission, typing the cache page.... What is the problem with selecting the part of the UK that the cache is in? It takes a few seconds. So what if it is mandatory?.... so are the difficulty/terrain settings etc. and some people probably objected when they were first introduced but they are useful now to some people at least.

let's look at it this way if it was not introduced what would the serial complainers have to complain about yesterday?

Don't worry about something far more important will happen for you to have a moan about later...I'm sure.

Think of us over in in Northern Ireland, I don't really know where it leaves our caches which are logged as UK at the minute because we have to pick Ireland then Ulster.

I have some cahces logged in both the UK and Ireland. So do all my caches ahve to be in Ireland now and from now on?

You know when the UK Reviewers made the use of Additional Waypoints Mandatory [well before Groundspeak did], there was the same sort of Negativity towards them. It's a "site feature" which takes 2 seconds when creating a new cache page, and whilst of no use for those with the negative attitude,will be of great use to others.

Once there is a full Reviewer team for the UK, I'll be doing exactly the same as I do for caches created before Additional Waypoints became Mandatory and which don't have them. And add the details to the cache page. Why because to have full benefit the majority of caches need to have the correct region. If you object to me doing this to benefit of the community,please feel free to make a official complaint to Groundspeak!

Not being a whiz at using GSAK, this feature could be very useful for me once it gets going.

As an example, when I get back from the Mega Event in a few weeks time, it would be very useful for me to be able to 'clean up' my GSAK database by removing any unfound caches in 'Yorkshire and Humberside'. This is because I don't get up that way very often and it would help prevent me looking for caches that have been archived next time I visit because of an out of date GSAK record (as happened to me last time when I was in London with GC14X7V).

So for someone like myself who doesn't have time to become a GSAK sensei, this feature has at least one obvious utility.

Of course, the usefulnes of this feature is somewhat negated if people choose to chose 'not chosen' ( <_< ) as a location for their listings!

Mike

Edited to add the odd full stop - its still rather early in the morning after all!

Edited again because I'm a muppet without (and some would say with) my morning coffee inside me...

It's as easy to filter for unfound caches within x mile of the Mega and then delete them all as it is to fiddle about with this new feature. If you can't do it all you have to do is ask here :P

It's as easy to filter for unfound caches within x mile of the Mega and then delete them all as it is to fiddle about with this new feature. If you can't do it all you have to do is ask here <_<

Thats.....brilliant!

And obvious.

Really, really obvious.

I feel like such a fool!

Many thanks for the hint. Presumably you just filter the caches, tick the check box and delete the entries, yes?

I'm so embarrased that it had never even occured to me to try it.

Mike (who's off to try and get his head around the 'exciting' world of NMR spectrometers for the day...)

Once there is a full Reviewer team for the UK, I'll be doing exactly the same as I do for caches created before Additional Waypoints became Mandatory and which don't have them. And add the details to the cache page. Why because to have full benefit the majority of caches need to have the correct region. If you object to me doing this to benefit of the community,please feel free to make a official complaint to Groundspeak!

Let me get this right.... You're going to personally go through 30 odd thousand UK caches and edit the location onto each cache page... :D:P:D

'kin 'ell.... and I thought you'd stepped back from moderating this forum because you were short of time <_<:D

Rearrange these words to make a well known phrase or saying:-

the time of the you all cant please and of all of the the of time some people you some of the of please time people all can the but you people can please all.

Well I think it will be useful, would have been better to have counties but I see the problems there and this is a reasonable compromise IMHO. It's only going to be useful though if people use it, I don't see it as any different to having to rate your cache for difficulty/terrain/size all of which are also compulsory.

I've update my caches already.

You know when the UK Reviewers made the use of Additional Waypoints Mandatory [well before Groundspeak did], there was the same sort of Negativity towards them. It's a "site feature" which takes 2 seconds when creating a new cache page, and whilst of no use for those with the negative attitude,will be of great use to others.

Our caches, our choice surely!!!!!!!!!

That's a very good point about the Additional Wayponts Deci <_< When they were first implemented I thought it was a right PITA, but I use them all the time now and think they are excellent. When the business of the counties first started I wasn't overly enthused, but I can see how they will be beneficial, and it will make no difference to me to click an extra field when submitting a cache. If it was a change for change sake then I might take umbrance, but it's a useful feature for some. When I get a chance I will update my existing listings, and I will even put in the additional waypoints that I should have sorted ages ago. Liane :P

Why is the naming inconsistent?

For example, it's Scotland North but North Wales, and Northeast England but Southeast of England.

I agree, yes. They are a pain to find in the list of States for PQ's as they are all lumped in together with every state/region in the world. If they were called UK Southwest England, UK North Wales, UK SouthEast England etc. they'd be easier to find as they'd all be grouped together.

It's as easy to filter for unfound caches within x mile of the Mega and then delete them all as it is to fiddle about with this new feature. If you can't do it all you have to do is ask here :P

Thats.....brilliant!

And obvious.

Really, really obvious.

I feel like such a fool!

Many thanks for the hint. Presumably you just filter the caches, tick the check box and delete the entries, yes?

I'm so embarrased that it had never even occured to me to try it.

Mike (who's off to try and get his head around the 'exciting' world of NMR spectrometers for the day...)

IIRC first you run a filter, then right click on a waypoint and select delete. At this point you get an option to delete all the waypoints in the filter.

TOP TIP don't make my mistake of not making a backup before playing with these features <_<

I have 3 existing puzzle caches (Hole Numbers...) which require cachers to find 2 TBs, and sort out the correct coordinates by placing them together. Because I live in Hemel Hempstead I am near the point where East of England, South of England and London meet, and in theory the caches could be in any of these three regions. Am I going to have to change the listing on these caches to make them easier? If existing listings don't "have" to be changed, what about if I set some others on a similar line in the future?

(Note, this is not intended to be self promotion of my own caches, it applies equally - or even more so - to caches like 'Interception', and 'All about the UK')

edit to state that the rest of my caches have all been updated

Edited by The Bongtwashes

in theory the caches could be in any of these three regions.

I would have thought that the "right" thing to do with mysteries and multis is to use the published coords to define the region.

It shouldn't make the caches any easier, or difficult, to know which region the dummy coords are in.

I have 3 existing puzzle caches (Hole Numbers...) which require cachers to find 2 TBs, and sort out the correct coordinates by placing them together. Because I live in Hemel Hempstead I am near the point where East of England, South of England and London meet, and in theory the caches could be in any of these three regions. Am I going to have to change the listing on these caches to make them easier? If existing listings don't "have" to be changed, what about if I set some others on a similar line in the future?

(Note, this is not intended to be self promotion of my own caches, it applies equally - or even more so - to caches like 'Interception', and 'All about the UK')

edit to state that the rest of my caches have all been updated

Set the region to that of the Posted Coordinates [those at the top of the page]. If it's one of the caches mentioned, searchers will be aware that from reading the cache page. If it's a puzzle cache searchers should already have read the page, so as to be aware of any requirements with the cache if it has a Mandatory Additional Logging Requirement.

Let me get this right.... You're going to personally go through 30 odd thousand UK caches and edit the location onto each cache page... :D:D<_<

'kin 'ell.... and I thought you'd stepped back from moderating this forum because you were short of time :D:D

I did say when there is a Full UK Reviewer Team ie: more than 3 people :P

As it's a site feature exactly the same as Additional Waypoints, Groundspeak consider the lack of AW's to older caches, before the use of them became mandatory. To be a lack of maintenance, I'm taking the same line with UK regions. It's a site feature which will benefit members of the UK whether they be PM's or not. Please remember just because you and several other people who have been negative about this, are PM's have GSAK and are techno savvy enough to make use of many of the features. Not all are,and the majority do not even visit this forum.

Has anyone got a link to the full-sized Google Map please?

Some of mine are close to the border and I can't tell in which region they should be B)

Thanks,

Russ

We've got a Web page being sorted out and I'm hoping to arrange hosting of it soon. I've PM'd you a link to download the Google Earth Overlay. Sorry it's on someones private hosting,who doesn't have the bandwidth to make it publicly available.

Set the region to that of the Posted Coordinates [those at the top of the page]. If it's one of the caches mentioned, searchers will be aware that from reading the cache page. If it's a puzzle cache searchers should already have read the page, so as to be aware of any requirements with the cache if it has a Mandatory Additional Logging Requirement.

Thanks for that Deci. Now I'm just wondering what happens about U-110 <_<:P

Let me get this right.... You're going to personally go through 30 odd thousand UK caches and edit the location onto each cache page... :D:DB)

'kin 'ell.... and I thought you'd stepped back from moderating this forum because you were short of time :P:D

I did say when there is a Full UK Reviewer Team ie: more than 3 people B)

As it's a site feature exactly the same as Additional Waypoints, Groundspeak consider the lack of AW's to older caches, before the use of them became mandatory. To be a lack of maintenance, I'm taking the same line with UK regions. It's a site feature which will benefit members of the UK whether they be PM's or not. Please remember just because you and several other people who have been negative about this, are PM's have GSAK and are techno savvy enough to make use of many of the features. Not all are,and the majority do not even visit this forum.

Has anyone got a link to the full-sized Google Map please?

Some of mine are close to the border and I can't tell in which region they should be :D

Thanks,

Russ

We've got a Web page being sorted out and I'm hoping to arrange hosting of it soon. I've PM'd you a link to download the Google Earth Overlay. Sorry it's on someones private hosting,who doesn't have the bandwidth to make it publicly available.

Dave, prove the point to me, give me a practical/real example of how this is going to be of benefit!

Whatever happened to Grandfathering?

Oh, n can you get your other half to ring me about a completely unrelated matter please <_<

Dave, prove the point to me, give me a practical/real example of how this is going to be of benefit!

Just do as you are told Tony :P hehe <_<

Lol, yer right Stuey I will have to. Not a big deal really just can't see a point. Would be nice to see the evidence though :D

Here is my example.

Well.... I for one am happy with the change! Eventually I will be able to exclude South Wales caches from my PQ for caching trips up towards the Severn estuary (that great big barrier between England and Wales), and likewise when I go to South Wales for a visit to my sister I can exclude caches in Southern England.

Now all we need to do is get the State attribute added to all the old caches so it can be useful.

(and before anyone asks I know this can be done with polygon filters in GSAK - but it will be nicer to do it with a PQ)

Just do as you are told Tony :D hehe <_<

Lol, yer right Stuey I will have to. Not a big deal really just can't see a point. Would be nice to see the evidence though :D

Here is my example.

OK, for example you visit the Wirral (yeah I know no one in their right mind) your nearest cache .7m cool, still in the same region and only a 15 mile drive :P

Like all boundaries, this feature may be of benefit to some, but it will also be a nuisance to people who live or cache very close on the boundaries.