Earthcache Geocoin

Carbon Hunter

Ordered a couple as well.

We're taking a road trip in June to Yellowstone and will be hitting a lot of Earthcaches there.

Since there are no physical caches for my little one to trade in/out, her reward will be one of these.

Great place Yellowstone. There are still many opportunities for listing more EarthCaches in that park. I didn't get a chance to get to all the locations I wanted to.

There is actually a single "traditional" in the park. From what I understand it is really a NPS trail log. I can't explain how it got set up though.

Thanks for the link and everyone's help. I am going to wait for availability on the EC pages.

me 2! :laughing:

nice coin, cant wait to see it in person...

@daniel

can you please contact me if the coins go online on earthcache.org

often dont have the time to check all the pages i'm interested in...:lol:

thanks for the info @ all

Thanks for the link and everyone's help. I am going to wait for availability on the EC pages.

me 2! :laughing:

nice coin, cant wait to see it in person...

@daniel

can you please contact me if the coins go online on earthcache.org

often dont have the time to check all the pages i'm interested in...:lol:

thanks for the info @ all

I got mine from the Groundspeak store. I received them within 7 days.

Is this it? Should we place our orders? I thought it would be for sale on th Earthcache.org site only?

earthcachecoin_500.jpg

Are you sure this is the offical EarthCache coin? Am I the only one that sees what is wrong with the coin? :anitongue:

I think this is the official Groundspeak Earthcache coin - not the official Earthcache.org coin. They just both happened to be released around the same time.

so what's the obvious mistake? :huh:

The conspiracy theorists are out and about. And I can understand why.

After months of waiting and speculation we find out that there is a EARTHCACHE geocoin by some very keen and awake web hunter instead of....Geoaware.

Now that it is confirmed that it is official, let's get some and get them traveling....or not.

After months of waiting and speculation we find out that there is a EARTHCACHE geocoin by some very keen and awake web hunter instead of....Geoaware.

Now that it is confirmed that it is official, let's get some and get them traveling....or not.

I will get one of the three I bought out for circulation. How can I get it to Portugal?

Just my two cents worth, the EARTHCACHE side is great but the Groundspeak side leaves something to be desired. GSA gets a 9 1/2 for art but the Groundspeak side look like it was printed off a printing press. Give 'em a 1 1/2!

Those numbers are out of 10!

Don't anybody get mad. Overall, I like the coin. :)

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

I will get one of the three I bought out for circulation. How can I get it to Portugal?

Just my two cents worth, the EARTHCACHE side is great but the Groundspeak side leaves something to be desired. GSA gets a 9 1/2 for art but the Groundspeak side look like it was printed off a printing press. Give 'em a 1 1/2!

Those numbers are out of 10!

Don't anybody get mad. Overall, I like the coin. :)

Sent you a PM!

I agree with you about the "tails" side of the coin.

I'm sorry about my mistake but I was sure that I read somewhere in these forums that the correct spelling of EarthCache was spelled that way. Maybe I read it wrong so now I will spell it EARTHCACHE. :)

Let's slow down a bit.

As far as I can remember what Geoaware said was that if the name is spelled fully in capitals then it is correct in this form: EARTHCACHE. However, if you opt for capitals and small letters then it should be spelled like this: EarthCache.

Hopefully there will be a way for those cachers not in the USA to buy one.

None of the Aussie Groundspeak stores stock them and don't seem interested in doing so either.

Any chance of them being in the store on EarthCache.org Geoaware?

I just tried to order mine. I can't place an order outside of the US. Anyone know of an alternative place to buy these coins that does international shipping?

Have a look here http://www.coinswag.com/ofgrea.html :)

I got mine ordered and shipped outside of the US by these guys too.

I see there is a South African coin store that is also offering outside US order.

http://www.geocacheshop.co.za/index.php?pa...rt&Itemid=3

I'm sorry about my mistake but I was sure that I read somewhere in these forums that the correct spelling of EarthCache was spelled that way. Maybe I read it wrong so now I will spell it EARTHCACHE. :)

Let's slow down a bit.

As far as I can remember what Geoaware said was that if the name is spelled fully in capitals then it is correct in this form: EARTHCACHE. However, if you opt for capitals and small letters then it should be spelled like this: EarthCache.

I wasn't going to fast was I? I did find this though. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=203448&hl=

I knew that I did read it that way some where and no where does it say that it is supposed to be spelled in caps but the offical way to spell it is EarthCache. B)

Let's slow down a bit.

I wasn't going to fast was I? I did find this though. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=203448&hl=

I knew that I did read it that way some where and no where does it say that it is supposed to be spelled in caps but the offical way to spell it is EarthCache. B)

Let Geoaware cast the final and deciding vote on this matter.

I would think that geoaware has already specified what the correct spelling is and how to write it. (Color emphasis mine)

This is the official EarthCache coin...it was designed and approved by both Groundspeak and EarthCache.org.

The name is spelled perfectly....when using all caps EARTHCACHE is correct.

EarthCache when using mixed upper and lower case letters, in normal everyday writing.

EARTHCACHE when using all caps (as quoted above) like on the coin.

I would think that geoaware has already specified what the correct spelling is and how to write it. (Color emphasis mine)

This is the official EarthCache coin...it was designed and approved by both Groundspeak and EarthCache.org.

The name is spelled perfectly....when using all caps EARTHCACHE is correct.

EarthCache when using mixed upper and lower case letters, in normal everyday writing.

EARTHCACHE when using all caps (as quoted above) like on the coin.

Did you not go to the thread titled," How to use the name...., EarthCache not Earthcache or earthcache"

Not one time does it show to use it the way it was placed on the coin. "EARTHCACHE"

I was just showing that that was the reason that I believe that this wasn't the offical EarthCache Coin. I just figured that we was going to get a different stlye of coin that was a EarthCache coin and not a Groundspeak coin. I still have a great idea for a EarthCache series of coins that would have the earth on the front and a EarthCache view on the back maybe even pictures of interesting EarthCaches that are already published.

I agree with you :) . I was expecting more on the design considering how long it took to make the coin and all the hype :D . And whats up with EARTHCACHE spelling? Was it not discussed several months back by geoaware that the correct spelling was EarthCache?

Looks like any spelling of EaRtHcAcHe is ok now :D

I don't like it. It took how many months to come up with that design? The front looks like another geocoin that came out and the back now appears to be the standard for geocaching.com. With all the delays I really expected something spectacular.

I think we all have to agree that an official EARTHCACHE geocoin would have the official EarthCache logo on the front, which it does. Moreover, I agree that the back side could be improved a whole lot. However, it is the only EARTHCACHE geocoin available so make the most of it and if it really hurts you to look at it's backside, don't turn it over, ever. :)

I think we all have to agree that an official EARTHCACHE geocoin would have the official EarthCache logo on the front, which it does. Moreover, I agree that the back side could be improved a whole lot. However, it is the only EARTHCACHE geocoin available so make the most of it and if it really hurts you to look at it's backside, don't turn it over, ever. :)

Except to get the tracking number :D

I also admit - I am over the moon to finally get an Earthcache coin (I ordered 4)! But after all the hype and wait (much self inflicted) I was really hoping for a little more innovation and creativity.

I love the EarthCache logo up front - big and bold like it should be. Was hoping for a bit more 3D relief - or unusual shape or other "artifacts" included like a geo map or similar.

But still really happy to have our own coin.

I also agree that with all the hype of this coin the design is average at best. I was expecting something more artistic. I would have been cool to issue a set of geocoins that were made of black marble with the design and artwork engraved into it. It would have been a harder coin to make and mass produce. It would also cost a lot more than $9.99 but it would have been a one of a kind coin to own and it would have been made with a natural hard stone. This kind of coin would have been a collectable and most people would not let these out of their collection.

I would then have made a coin for trading, just like the one they issued for $9.99. If they issue a 2nd coin down the road I hope they hire an artist or designer to make it.

Saying that I still ordered two of them because I'm sure they will sell out quickly and once there gone good luck getting one.

I like EarthCaches and am a coin collector (for coins that are caching related anyway) and I was bit disappointed when it arrived. While I like the simplistic and clean design, the orange section seems to be coming OUT from the coin instead of being recessed (visually). I thought it could use some more 3d layers to make it better.

In the end, it's a coin and I like having one in my collection.

I'd like to comment further but I still haven't got one to look at :D

You will soon! Look for the Tooth Fairy to put one under your pillow! :P

YES! I have one in my hands now.

I agree that the backside is a bit bland but overall it is just perfect. And there are another 3 yes votes in the house.

THANKS

Now, why is it still not on sale at the EarthCache store?

Edited by danieloliveira

I'd like to comment further but I still haven't got one to look at :rolleyes:

You will soon! Look for the Tooth Fairy to put one under your pillow! :P

YES! I have one in my hands now.

I agree that the backside is a bit bland but overall it is just perfect. And there are another 3 yes votes in the house.

THANKS

Now, why is it still not on sale at the EarthCache store?

Maybe I can answer your question. A careful examination of the coin will denote that it is made out of iron. Well, Marge and I bought up all of the iron ore rights in the contiguous United States and we haven't successfully negotiated a proper mineral depletion contract with Geoaware!

Even though we have the highest quality iron ore available (the only available) please don't get the coin wet! While we are not sure how long the iron will hold up, we did guarantee that the paint is lead free (we don't have the lead rights!) Just kidding everyone. Marge and I did not try to extort an unreasonable price. We ended up caving in because Geoaware holds the keys to the EC vault!

A little humor, I know very little!!!!! :D

I have to say, I was abit dissapointed with the coins design. It looks too much like the generic Signal coins.

A nice 3d Earth showing topography and maybe something from the GSA would be nice.

A special design maybe in a variety of metals and finishes would have made a nice extension to the EarthCache Masters program.

Oh well, at least we finally got an EarthCache coin!

Edited by PaRacers

...they sold out in 12 hours!

So anther batch has been ordered.

AND......new EarthCache Masters coins are on their way. There is a special coin for each level. We will you posted!

Wow - great news - you snooze you loose - my basket still has "2" coins in it - but they are not available.

Way to go GSA!!!!

Please consider adding Bronze and Silver car stickers and pins to the shop inventory too.

Pretty Please :wub:;):P

...they sold out in 12 hours!

So anther batch has been ordered.

AND......new EarthCache Masters coins are on their way. There is a special coin for each level. We will you posted!

I hope the earthcache.org store will have them in stock. It's been an absolute nightmare to get the EC geocoins. Were it not for the kind heart of konnarock Kid & Marge I would still be taking Alprazolam :D .