Earthcache Geocoin

Carbon Hunter

Hi folks,

I was out yesterday scouting for a possible EC location and found a most unusual cave. In it was a chest filled with half dollar size coins. They looked new and were gold, silver and copper. We jumped up and down thinking we had discovered an old pirate's treasure with many pieces of eight. After closer examination we found the EC logo on one side of each coin and a Latin phrase on the other. Roughly translated the Latin phrase reads, "Don't wait for Groundspeak".

The mystery of the lost EC coins continues! :D

Hi folks,

I was out yesterday scouting for a possible EC location and found a most unusual cave. In it was a chest filled with half dollar size coins. They looked new and were gold, silver and copper. We jumped up and down thinking we had discovered an old pirate's treasure with many pieces of eight. After closer examination we found the EC logo on one side of each coin and a Latin phrase on the other. Roughly translated the Latin phrase reads, "Don't wait for Groundspeak".

The mystery of the lost EC coins continues! :anicute:

AAAARRRGGHHHHH - don't you just hate that. Get to a wonderful EC site - and someone has dumped a whole bunch of garbage near Ground Zero!!!! :)

Edited by Carbon Hunter

Should be moved to forum section "Geocoin Discussions"

Lots of people should know in there.

I frequent the coin forums, and there has been no discussion about an EC geocoin in there. My guess is that it is more appropriate to keep the thread here, since those that would be minting it are probably affiliated with the GSA (and hang out here, not in the coin forums).

I am not big into coins and just now found how much I love earthcaches but I would like to get one. Where do i go?

You are not the only one. I want a whole sack full! :)

Sounds like when they do come out we'll have to snatch them up quick before they are gone.

Hi folks

The coin is still in production - but should be here shortly. Sorry for the delay! The design is fantastic....and they will make a great addition to peoples collections.

Geoaware

The EarthCache name and logo are the copyright of the Geological Society of America. The right to use them is very restricted, and GSA does not give permission for any group to use them without express written permission. As a general rule, permission is not given for the EC name or logo to be used for trinkets (pins, coins, shirts etc). GSA will use the full force of the law to protect its copyright.

I can't seem to order them from GS. The site gives me a message that international orders must be fulfilled by official GS distributors. However, when I searched the official GS distributors I can't find the geocoin. Can anyone help?

Same problem here. Could not find any german (or other european) distributor that sells the coin

I just tried to order mine. I can't place an order outside of the US. Anyone know of an alternative place to buy these coins that does international shipping?

Have a look here http://www.coinswag.com/ofgrea.html :lol:

And at half the cost! :sad: I should have waited for this posting so I could get twice as many. Hopefully I can cancel my order with Groundspeak.

Edited by TerryDad2

I just tried to order mine. I can't place an order outside of the US. Anyone know of an alternative place to buy these coins that does international shipping?

Have a look here http://www.coinswag.com/ofgrea.html :blink:

And at half the cost! :huh: I should have waited for this posting so I could get twice as many. Hopefully I can cancel my order with Groundspeak.

They are both 9.99 aren't they? How much of a difference is shipping for you?

And at half the cost! :huh: I should have waited for this posting so I could get twice as many. Hopefully I can cancel my order with Groundspeak.

:D

I put my order in yesterday and the receipt showed:

Official Groundspeak EarthCache Geocoin 900113 GEO Earth for $19.98

They must have changed the price overnight.

I got the order cancelled and now I'll reorder.

:D

I put my order in yesterday and the receipt showed:

Official Groundspeak EarthCache Geocoin 900113 GEO Earth for $19.98

They must have changed the price overnight.

I got the order cancelled and now I'll reorder.

Odd I ordered one yesterday at 2:30 ish and it came thru as $10 Are you sure you didn't order 2? I know thats not likely that you overlooked that but the price would match.

[Odd I ordered one yesterday at 2:30 ish and it came thru as $10 Are you sure you didn't order 2? I know thats not likely that you overlooked that but the price would match.

I wouldn't put it beyond me. That's math. This will at least give me the opportunity to purchase through GSA.

Thank you - done

The new coins will also be available form the EarthCache store (www.earthcache.org) as soon the stock arrives. They are the same price ($9.99). Shipping and handling from GSA is a set price ($5.00) anywhere in the world.

Can't wait - please keep us in the loop.

[Odd I ordered one yesterday at 2:30 ish and it came thru as $10 Are you sure you didn't order 2? I know thats not likely that you overlooked that but the price would match.

I wouldn't put it beyond me. That's math. This will at least give me the opportunity to purchase through GSA.

hee hee - old age creeps up far faster than geological time!