Colorado Firmware 2.6

Dosido

Mine has shut off once or twice...I initially blew it off as user error, but now I don't think so.

I have a recent replacement 400t from Garmin and have installed the 2.6 version. I haven't used it much but I experienced one screen lockup requiring battery removal; one compass going 180 degrees off and sticking there; and one unscheduled shutdown when I was playing around zooming out in the 3D View. The principal reason it was replaced was for the erratic compass behavior and the location point extreme wandering while moving. With the new unit the later hasn't happened once and the compass is fine except for the one hiccup so far.

Has Garmin told anyone yet that these shutdowns and lockups are softare only and not hardware? If hardware replacement fixed the location point wandering way off and fixed the erratic compass then I'll start wondering now if we are going to get by with software updates fixing these other two issues?

If Garmin releases another software update we can start off with a shorter thread again. :laughing:

Edited by Ratsneve

I have also had several shut downs but I think it is due to maps. I installed 2.6, did some driving and some caching and navigating and all was well. We got to a new geographic area around Seattle and the unit shut down repeatedly. I am using North America City Select version 6 on a Colorado 300. We are staying very near the boundary of two map segments. I switched back to version 2.54 and had the same problem. Switched back to 2.6 and still had the problem. Turned off City Select and turned on the base map and it stayed on just fine with no shut downs. Once we get a mile or two away from the map boundary the GPSr stayed on no problem with City Select on. So I think our shutting down problem is actually a map issue and not a firmware issue.

Confirmed issue in ver 2.6

I have received my replacement Colorado 300 from Garmin with a serial number up in the 55*** range and THE UNIT STILL DOES NOT RECORD PRESSURE DATA WHEN POWERED OFF.

In light of this development, I now do not believe anyone has a unit that records dynamic data when powered off and I am challenging EVERYONE who claims to have a working unit to post some screenshots of overnight trend data.

This issue is a potentially huge one for Garmin. The Colorado manual is rather vague in many respects but to this feature it is really quite specific (page 32 of the online PDF manual).

I am calling Garmin this morning about this issue, again (6th time). We wil see where this goes but as far as I'm concerned, I'm in the drivers seat. They clearly advertised a feature when they began selling the units back in January that does not work, has never worked. I believe there are legal protections against this type of thing? Frustrated.

Edited by yogazoo

I may have run across something new. We went on a road trip from St. louis to San Francisco and back through Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. At one point the entire unit shut down and would not reboot. Thankfully that was the same day the 2.6 update was released. Anyway, after the update I added the Hunt and Fish to the shortcuts, and ever since then it seems when I run a route and it goes to recalculate the Colorado screen goes to the hunt/fish screen. At one time it went to another screen, but I don't remember which one. Can anyone reproduce this?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the switch to a new screen happens when viewing the active route screen not the map screen.

By any chance, when you added the Hunt and Fish to the shortcuts, did you add it at the top? If so, that would be your default screen.

--Marky

I may have run across something new. We went on a road trip from St. louis to San Francisco and back through Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. At one point the entire unit shut down and would not reboot. Thankfully that was the same day the 2.6 update was released. Anyway, after the update I added the Hunt and Fish to the shortcuts, and ever since then it seems when I run a route and it goes to recalculate the Colorado screen goes to the hunt/fish screen. At one time it went to another screen, but I don't remember which one. Can anyone reproduce this?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the switch to a new screen happens when viewing the active route screen not the map screen.

By any chance, when you added the Hunt and Fish to the shortcuts, did you add it at the top? If so, that would be your default screen.

--Marky

Good thought, but I added it to the bottom.

...I am challenging EVERYONE who claims to have a working unit to post some screenshots of overnight trend data.

Yogazoo, I'm with you on this so here's a thought. Why not put this challenge directly to the Garmin folks who say it works?! :D If they say pressure trend recording works for them let's see their screen shots, eh?

I have received my replacement Colorado 300 from Garmin with a serial number up in the 55*** range and THE UNIT STILL DOES NOT RECORD PRESSURE DATA WHEN POWERED OFF.

In light of this development, I now do not believe anyone has a unit that records dynamic data when powered off and I am challenging EVERYONE who claims to have a working unit to post some screenshots of overnight trend data.

This issue is a potentially huge one for Garmin. The Colorado manual is rather vague in many respects but to this feature it is really quite specific (page 32 of the online PDF manual).

I am calling Garmin this morning about this issue, again (6th time). We wil see where this goes but as far as I'm concerned, I'm in the drivers seat. They clearly advertised a feature when they began selling the units back in January that does not work, has never worked. I believe there are legal protections against this type of thing? Frustrated.

I have not been following what the issue is. How can you tell if it is working? I have a 400T and have it set to record. Every once in a while I will see the screen flicker on. I have figured it was coming on to record the baramoter. I have data on the plot continioulsy when I scroll through the data. How do you include a picture in the post? I tried Insert image and it says I need a URL.

From the Colorado Wiki...

"Alarm and/or barometric pressure data collection sometimes does not work with the unit is powered off. This has been confirmed by Garmin engineering to be a hardware problem. If you configure the barometer to Save Always, turn the unit off overnight and fail to see dynamic data in the barometer graph then the unit is defective and should be returned."

Basically when you look at the graph in the morning you will see a straight line between when you turned the unit off to when you turned it on. The line may slope up or down depending on the current pressure compared to the pressure when you turned it off, but the line will be straight (no peaks, valleys, curves).

One thing about this issue that makes it a little different than most of the other issues is the fact that this feature is described quite clearly and in detail in the Colorado PDF manual that you can download from Garmin's website.

Page 32 is explicit."PRESSURE TRENDING - select Save Always to record pressure data every 15 minutes, even when the Colorado is turned off."

Edited by yogazoo

I claim the prize whatever it is. This post has pictures that it does work.

Edited by Michael

This is exactly what I have suspected. Sorry Michael, but thank you for confirming my suspicions, your plots actually show exactly what I've been trying to describe. Your unit does not log dynamic data when powered off. You can see my complete analysis in the post under yours in that thread.

I'm now convinced entirely that there are no working Colorado's in this respect.

Edited by yogazoo

Yep, you are correct-it did not work. I got the straight line. I wonder why the unit comes on about every 15 minitues when I have powered off. I always thought it was recording the pressure. If it is coming on and just not recording the pressure, would not that be a software issue?

This is exactly what I have suspected. Sorry Michael, but thank you for confirming my suspicions, your plots actually show exactly what I've been trying to describe. Your unit does not log dynamic data when powered off. You can see my complete analysis in the post under yours in that thread.

I'm now convinced entirely that there are no working Colorado's in this respect.

It works fine on my unit. I have it running all the time. If your unit flashes the screen every 15 minutes when powered off, it is recording the pressure. Look at the below screen shot, it is from this morning when I was still asleep. As you can see, the pressure was dropping yesterday (we had a storm move through last night) and is on the rise today. The steep drop is when I drove home with the unit powered on.

66.jpg

I'm sorry, but that looks like a straight line between power cycles to me.....

1) Write down the time when you turn the unit off.

2) Leave it off overnight.

3) Write down the time when you turn it on.

4) Post a screen shot with the cursor on the power down time and a second one with the cursor on the power up time.

Edited by Red90

I'm sorry, but that looks like a straight line between power cycles to me.....

What would a correct image look like? If the unit is stationary and pressure drop is steady, a straight line is what I would anticipate seeing. I will leave the unit off this weekend to record pressure.

You can see the straight line from when you shut it down to when you powered up again. It's not recording any data in between, simply drawing a line, connecting the dots if you will between power cycles.

Mine flashes on at night too. That doesn't mean it's doing anything but flashing.

See my post in this forum to see the difference between Dynamic and Linear Data.

Edited by yogazoo

When the unit is ON the pressure trend line can and does change direction and degree of slope both before turning the unit OFF and after turning it back ON but while off it is one linear line. Can someone explain the sense in this? Is this it...when you turn the unit ON again does it recalculate the this linear trend line based on the ambient pressure when the unit was first turned OFF to when the unit was turned ON again? The only points of the line that are accurate then are the start and end points--and this is the trend?

Thanks. Hope Garmin reads this.

Exactly! The Colorado's do not record barometric data when powered off. Thats the straight "linear" line, thats why it does that. They simply connect the dots and ignore all data between the power on cycles.

Put another way, the claim in the manual that the device records data every 15 minutes even while powered off is false.

See this thread for more

What is the difference between "plot ambient pressure" and "plot barometer"?

"Ambient pressure" is the actual pressure...

"Barometer" is the ambient pressure corrected to sea level altitude.

Shoot, I use to know this. It is very important when flying to determine your actual AGL (above ground level). It is coming back now...

So if you are at sea level the ambient and barometric pressures are the same--always.

...I am challenging EVERYONE who claims to have a working unit to post some screenshots of overnight trend data.

Yogazoo, I'm with you on this so here's a thought. Why not put this challenge directly to the Garmin folks who say it works?! :rolleyes: If they say pressure trend recording works for them let's see their screen shots, eh?

I tried the "overnight" trend data test. When I got up in the morning, the batteries were dead and the unit would no longer start up. It displayed "System Software Missing" and hung there.

It is now back at Garmin for repair, hopefully replacement, even more hopefully full refund.

USE AT OWN RISK

I tried the "overnight" trend data test. When I got up in the morning, the batteries were dead and the unit would no longer start up. It displayed "System Software Missing" and hung there.

It is now back at Garmin for repair, hopefully replacement, even more hopefully full refund.

USE AT OWN RISK

He meant overnight with the unit OFF, not ON!!!!

Yogazoo, I'm with you on this so here's a thought. Why not put this challenge directly to the Garmin folks who say it works?! :rolleyes: If they say pressure trend recording works for them let's see their screen shots, eh?

USE AT OWN RISK

I think this is the third time I read about leaving the unit on and letting the batteries drain out do the same thing and come up witht he system software missing. Sounds like a pretty serious bug none the less.

Hmm, I left mine ON for 3 hours, have the "mountain range" graph. I turned the unit off overnight (left it plugged in to computer), turned it back on about 8 hours later. All I had during the time it was off was a big ZERO.

Did I set something wrong?

Hmm, I left mine ON for 3 hours, have the "mountain range" graph. I turned the unit off overnight (left it plugged in to computer), turned it back on about 8 hours later. All I had during the time it was off was a big ZERO.

Did I set something wrong?

No, the function simply does not work in 99.99% of units.

But everyone else has a straight line to the next point. Mine dropped off to nothing, then came back up when I turned it on. I had set it to save while off...

Mine does that sometimes as well. I must stop putting it in a pure vacuum... :D

One more bug persistent since the Colorado release is that the intermittent waterbodies still don't show up on the GPS. I just verified in ver.2.6.

Anything tagged as intermittent water will look tan like city limit polygons on CityNav. Barely visible.

On every other color GPS Garmin ever made (Oregon too?) the intermittent water shows as a blue crosshatch.

One more bug persistent since the Colorado release is that the intermittent waterbodies still don't show up on the GPS. I just verified in ver.2.6.

Anything tagged as intermittent water will look tan like city limit polygons on CityNav. Barely visible.

On every other color GPS Garmin ever made (Oregon too?) the intermittent water shows as a blue crosshatch.

Can you send me some coordinates? I'll verify on the OR.

GO$Rs

Not on my colorado intermittent water shows as blue.

After some tests I noticed another problem that seems to be related to version 2.60:

When I select a geocache as target on a map the pink line appears and I start moving towards the cache. The triangle moves at first. But sometimes the map suddenly freezes. So the blue triangle (my current position) does not move anymore.

But the unit still processes the correct position internally when I take a look at current position values. Only the map does not work anymore.

The problem appears from time to time and on different caches or map areas. Only a restart of the unit helps.

Did anyone else see this problem?

I have had this happen once using 2.51b. It was a micro under moderate tree cover and I had been searching in a small area, for quite a while, with the unit hanging on my belt, when it froze. I did not notice whether or not my position was still being updated as the entire unit froze. Had to pull the batteries. May or may not be the same problem.

After some tests I noticed another problem that seems to be related to version 2.60:

When I select a geocache as target on a map the pink line appears and I start moving towards the cache. The triangle moves at first. But sometimes the map suddenly freezes. So the blue triangle (my current position) does not move anymore.

But the unit still processes the correct position internally when I take a look at current position values. Only the map does not work anymore.

The problem appears from time to time and on different caches or map areas. Only a restart of the unit helps.

If you quit out of geocaching mode and goto the cache again are things still stuck or does the problem clear itself?

GO$Rs

If you quit out of geocaching mode and goto the cache again are things still stuck or does the problem clear itself?

GO$Rs

Mine will do the same thing. Also sometimes the blue triangle will point say south and I know the cache is north. Walking north will cause the distance to decrease but the triangle will stil point south. Most of the time the triangle will eventually swing around and point the correct direction.

Exiting the geocache mode doesn't help. If I turn it off and back on sometimes it's fixed and sometimes it's not.

It doesn't seem to be as much of a problem since I switched to NiMH batteries as long as they at half strength or better.

I was hoping the latest update would have fixed the problem but there was no change. I suppose I'll have to call Garmin and get an RMA.

xshooter

No, the function simply does not work in 99.99% of units.

Hey where do I sign up to be a GS lackey, so that I too can get one of those hand picked by the development team units? :unsure:

For the record. Garmin does not know I am a lackey. I replaced mine through customer service like anyone else.

For the record. Garmin does not know I am a lackey. I replaced mine through customer service like anyone else.

No need to get all serious. It is just a joke.

I understood but wanted to be sure that everyone else knew it was not a "special privilege" :unsure:

I have also had several shut downs but I think it is due to maps. I installed 2.6, did some driving and some caching and navigating and all was well. We got to a new geographic area around Seattle and the unit shut down repeatedly. I am using North America City Select version 6 on a Colorado 300. We are staying very near the boundary of two map segments. I switched back to version 2.54 and had the same problem. Switched back to 2.6 and still had the problem. Turned off City Select and turned on the base map and it stayed on just fine with no shut downs. Once we get a mile or two away from the map boundary the GPSr stayed on no problem with City Select on. So I think our shutting down problem is actually a map issue and not a firmware issue.

In my experience it IS a firmware issue. Since upgrading to 2.60 I have frequent shutdowns when connected to external power. I think I have found a workaround though, if I change the backlightlevel to anything but the default (off by day/low by night), it seems to stay on.

Did not have this issue on 2.50. (I skipped the betas)