Colorado Firmware 2.6

Dosido

I’m guessing you’ve had it and never noticed. I also have a 400t s/n18Z004XXX and a 300 s/n 169004XXX that I’ve seen it on both. You normally don’t notice it in geocaching mode unless the GPS is pointing at a 4 terrain and the cache is only a 1 ½ terrain. I can tell that mine are going into drift when the reported accuracy goes over 50’ and doesn’t come down. Problem is geocaching mode doesn’t show accuracy.

I know misery likes company. But I've accumulated tracks over many miles, traveling the same trails over and over. All varieties of tree cover and terrain, all kinds of different constellations. I've even consciously tried to duplicate the problem. I've never seen EPE over 30 feet. I travel with GPS accuracy on the map page and I pay attention. I've never seen a track variation any larger than 40 or 50 feet, usually much less -- consistent with the observed EPE at the time.

That's why I'm wondering if we're looking at some type of hardware problem with individual units.

Of course, I've probably cursed myself now... <_<

They don't list it in the list of changes, but the comments now show up for Custom POIs. Finally!!!!

Oh Happy Day! Release the doves!!! FINALLY!!!!! <_<

Scratch one major annoyance off the list. Many more to go. Progress is slow, but progress exists. A few months from now us GPS nerds will laugh this whole Colorado "beta" experiment off over a few beers. (:P

Edited by yogazoo

Anybody else having POI loader fail to find the CO? I can send using the folder option, but if I choose "Garmin Device" it fails to find it. Mapsource is OK, but POI loader, no worky.

I just used the latest version of the POI loader and it worked fine. This time it worked correctly using express mode to the gps. It didn't work in express mode using 2.54 beta.

They don't list it in the list of changes, but the comments now show up for Custom POIs. Finally!!!!

I just tried copying over the GPX from a NUVI macro into the CO.....

It works just fine. Colours, formating, everything.........

Edited by Red90

Oh Happy Day! Release the doves!!! FINALLY!!!!! <_<

Scratch one major annoyance off the list. Many more to go. Progress is slow, but progress exists. A few months from now us GPS nerds will laugh this whole Colorado "beta" experiment off over a few beers. (:P

Yes!!! 2.6 fixed a lot of the problems, waypoint deletion crashing was the biggest nuisance and finally we get a blessed firmware release from Garmin. Accruacy is about 11-13 feet on average which is comparable with the nuvi 350. Pretty pleased with this version. My confidence is gradually being restored with Garmin and my fears of this being one big beta experiment are going away!

on colorado 300 when updateing it asked me something when starting up

new software found

the software is older the..(cuts off )

an your current softwar...(cuts of)

no

yes

thats what it looked like i guess and clicked yes like yes i whant the new software but it rebooted my gps and whent to comp mode restarted it unpluged and my profile setting had changed software version still had 2.54 so i am trying to reupdate

clicking no worked says i have 2.60 now sad thing is it reset my odomater and all the stats there

on colorado 300 when updateing it asked me something when starting up

new software found

the software is older the..(cuts off )

an your current softwar...(cuts of)

no

yes

thats what it looked like i guess and clicked yes like yes i whant the new software but it rebooted my gps and whent to comp mode restarted it unpluged and my profile setting had changed software version still had 2.54 so i am trying to reupdate

clicking no worked says i have 2.60 now sad thing is it reset my odomater and all the stats there

I had the same problem. Apparently the update was copied to my SD card. I took out my SD card and the update worked with no problems. I then put my SD card in a card reader and deleted the update file off of it. Then I put my SD card back into the GPS.

I just tried copying over the GPX from a NUVI macro into the CO.....

It works just fine. Colours, formating, everything.........

I load my found caches as custom POIs. Does anyone know if there is a way to get GSAK to place line breaks between fields?

I load my found caches as custom POIs. Does anyone know if there is a way to get GSAK to place line breaks between fields?

With a macro you can get line break using $_NewLine.

Try using Pilotsnipes Nuvi Macro. It works very well with the Colorado. See my post with screenshots, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3564518

That is so cool. Thank you for pointing it out. Now I have everything for thousands of caches in my CO.

More importantly I did see a location drift error, about 100' for 15 minutes.

GO$Rs

I know it's a real stab in the dark, but did you ever exchange your unit? Always seems odd to me that some folks see this issue all the time and others never see it. Makes me wonder about some weird hardware issue like a bad antenna connection.

Okay, this is where I can come in. I just got a new 400t from Garmin in exchange. The old unit was s/n 18Z02nnnn and this replacement is only a little higher it seems...18Z03nnnn. I updated the Software version to 2.60. Is the unit ID important? The GPS Software version remains 2.60. Is this the firmware? Both version are currently 2.60. :rolleyes:

The principle reason I asked for and got a replacement with virtually no questions asked was because I was experiencing radical compass variations while stationary and also experiencing ratdical drifts off course at times while moving and while stationary. I wish I had at the time done more waypoint sets to see the positional errors--I guess I still could since I haven't returned the unit yet. But it may be moot and unnecessary.

The new unit seems to be working better but I still had one incident where the compass went S and stuck there until I recalibrated it a moment later. I haven't seen the location marker (blue triangle pointer thingy hence forth abreviated LM here) wander off while stationary but I have set waypoints at the LM, move off a ways, driven off even further, turned the unit off and later back on, and then revisited these exact physical locations used and discovered that the LM is in a different position. I've then set new waypoints at the new positions (Why not use WP for waypoint?). I've been using the 20 foot map scaled (zoomed in all the way) and using WAAS with the compass on...

**ATTENTION GARMIN** When you get around to fixing our complaint on saving the backlighting setting so we don't have to set it each time we turn the unit on, PLEASE combine the soft key press that first restores the backlight level with whatever function I intend to use a soft key for! Right now I have to click a soft key once to get the backlighting level back and a second time to get the real function I'm after--do both with just one press. Thanks.

(BTW, if some of you don't like this idea or if some software engineers at Garmin don't like the idea... instead of just not doing it make it a setup option! One of the great secrets never fully learned or appreciated by so many imho is it isn't just "one way or the other" it's "you pick the way you want" and if you want to pick a different way next week then you change it to that. These are called "options" and they are what most software companies can be totally blind too.)

Every time I spend talking to Garmin on the phone many techs have asked me to email my requests and problems, etc. to techsupp@garmin.com. I think they desperately need our input on all these matters and they know they are only getting a tiny bit of feedback that is out there. None the less their new product in-house beta testing just sucks.

**ATTENTION GARMIN** In the menu selection structure instead of hitting a dead end at one end of a list of items and having to scroll all the way down to find something at the other end of the list set it up to roll over to the other end of the list automagically.

...Where was I... Oh, ...using WAAS with the compass on Auto. I've looked at GPS Accuracy each time which usually runs between 14 to 20 feet. The position errors between WP on the map have been within a few feet to around 30 feet. The longest drift error so far is around 40 feet...but I don't know if it would have corrected itself after 15 minutes or a half-hour.

**MY QUESTIONS**

Does the GPS Accuracy have its own error tolerance and if so what is it?

If the GPS Accuracy was 20 feet when WPs were set would seeing around a 20 foot error between WPs be perfectly normal? Would a 30 foot error be normal?

If this repeatable WP error is exceeding the GPS Accuracy I think this would bother geocaching, then my next recourse is what--to exchange the unit again?

ADDENDUM:

I just finished standing in one spot for around 20 minutes on my driveway with a GPS Accuracy of 10 to 11 feet. I set a WP near a cluster of other WPs. After a few minutes I watched as the LM moved south about 18 feet. I turned off WAAS and it made no difference (as suspected). The LM would not move from this new location until I went back inside the house. The GPS Accuracy was still showing 10 feet.

Sooo...on different days with different satellites and different weather but with the same GPS Accuracy showing of 12' plus or minus 2' let's say what is an acceptable cache location error? If my 400t positions me within an 18' radius of the cache is that as good as it gets with a Colorado? I feel like it isn't and I should get all my money back and go hibernate for another six months.

Edited by Ratsneve

Your expectations may be unrealistic. There are times when I set a waypoint and can return within a couple of feet. There are other times when doing so I won't get any closer that 10 to 20 feet. There are a lot of variables that can effect your accuracy. Position of the satelites you have locked onto. how close you are to something that can cause signel relfection, like rock hillside or a building. How you hold the GPS. Everything will effect your GPS. I am told that if we want to spend $10,000 or so we can have really accurate GPS's, but I don't think that is in my budget.

:rolleyes:

...Where was I... Oh, ...using WAAS with the compass on Auto. I've looked at GPS Accuracy each time which usually runs between 14 to 20 feet. The position errors between WP on the map have been within a few feet to around 30 feet. The longest drift error so far is around 40 feet...but I don't know if it would have corrected itself after 15 minutes or a half-hour.

**MY QUESTIONS**

Does the GPS Accuracy have its own error tolerance and if so what is it?

If the GPS Accuracy was 20 feet when WPs were set would seeing around a 20 foot error between WPs be perfectly normal? Would a 30 foot error be normal?

If this repeatable WP error is exceeding the GPS Accuracy I think this would bother geocaching, then my next recourse is what--to exchange the unit again?

ADDENDUM:

I just finished standing in one spot for around 20 minutes on my driveway with a GPS Accuracy of 10 to 11 feet. I set a WP near a cluster of other WPs. After a few minutes I watched as the LM moved south about 18 feet. I turned off WAAS and it made no difference (as suspected). The LM would not move from this new location until I went back inside the house. The GPS Accuracy was still showing 10 feet.

Sooo...on different days with different satellites and different weather but with the same GPS Accuracy showing of 12' plus or minus 2' let's say what is an acceptable cache location error? If my 400t positions me within an 18' radius of the cache is that as good as it gets with a Colorado? I feel like it isn't and I should get all my money back and go hibernate for another six months.

Ummm, OK. First the question about GPS accuracy "error tolerance." GPS accuracy is the EPE (estimated position error). There are several accepted measures for EPE. Garmin won't say which one they use. All of them are probabilistic measures. One commonly used measure is CEP (circular error probable), which has a 50% certainty factor. For example, if your EPE (measured with CEP) is 18 feet, there is a 50% probability that your actual position is within a circle of radius 18 feet centered at your reported position. To put this another way, your actual position has a 50% probability of being within 18 feet in any direction from your reported position. To increase the certainty factor to 95%, you would have to multiply the EPE by 2 (approximately). So, if your unit uses CEP and your EPE is 18 feet, there is a 95% probability that your actual position is within 36 feet of your reported position.

But since we don't know what EPE calculation to Colorado uses, the best we can do is treat the reported GPS accuracy as a kind of qualitative measure of accuracy.

Next, the question about apparent movement when standing still. This behavior is characteristic of high-sensitivity receivers, especially in environments where multi-path reception is possible. Ideally, the signal from any given satellite would travel directly to the GPSr and would be "seen" only once. However, lots of things reflect the signal -- buildings, tree cover, hills, walls, etc. When this happens, the GPSr sees the signal from a single satellite more than once. Each reflected "copy" of the signal travels a slightly different distance to the receiver. For any given position sample, the GPSr picks one "copy" of the signal from each satellite. Its choices change from one sample to the next, based on its perception of the quality of the various copies.

The bottom line is that you will see apparently random position shifts because of this multi-path problem. In some cases, the shifts can be sizable -- up to 20 or 30 or more feet. If you watch your track while standing still, you will see straight-line "spikes" which, over time, will tend to cluster around your actual position. The worse the multi-path problem (heavier tree cover, nearby cliffs, etc.), the larger and more frequent the spikes.

Next, the question you did not ask. Does any of this affect pointer when navigating? Yes, it can. The biggest effect occurs just because of the random position shifts. If you are navigating and close to the cache or waypoint, a shift can actually move you from one side of the target to the other. Hence the pointer may swing. There is also a second-order effect which occurs because of the way the Colorado determines your direction of motion when the compass is on (in auto mode). At low speeds or when standing still, the unit uses the compass to determine your direction of travel (or which way you are facing when standing still). At higher speeds, the unit uses satellite data to determine your direction of travel. Either way, the pointer reflects the "difference" between the direction you are travelling (or facing) and direction you should be going. The random shifts in position can result in what appears to be high-speed motion. This can cause the unit to shift back and forth between compass and satellite data for direction of travel. This results in even less predictable pointer swing.

Bottom line is that this is why some cachers just ignore the pointer when they get close. And why some folks prefer to cache with the compass off.

As far as cache placement goes, this is one of the reasons why we'd all like to see waypoint averaging added to the Colorado.

Finally, note that there is a recognized (by everybody except Garmin :rolleyes: ) problem with large "drift" errors with the Colorado. From what you describe, you are not seeing this problem. When it occurs, your reported position gradually drifts away from your actual position as you move. While this is happening, your EPE will be much higher than normal (more than 50 or 60 feet, sometimes 100 feet or more). The cumulative error over a few tenths of a mile of travel can be hundreds of feet. The only way to clear the problem appears to be to power-cycle the unit. Be thankful you're not seeing this one.

Finally, note that there is a recognized (by everybody except Garmin :rolleyes: ) problem with large "drift" errors with the Colorado. From what you describe, you are not seeing this problem. When it occurs, your reported position gradually drifts away from your actual position as you move. While this is happening, your EPE will be much higher than normal (more than 50 or 60 feet, sometimes 100 feet or more). The cumulative error over a few tenths of a mile of travel can be hundreds of feet. The only way to clear the problem appears to be to power-cycle the unit. Be thankful you're not seeing this one.

So, stationary drifts of 10, 20, 30, even 40 foot errors sometimes are of "normal" nature that the geocacher lives with from good to bad days regardless? I did experience some drifts while moving with the old unit but they seemed to correct themselves--maybe. But I haven't experienced any moving drifts with the new unit so far. Sounds like I might keep this one for a while then?

I noticed one thing different when I looked at my myGarmin account and the new 400t... they have dropped the First Satellite Acquisition Date.

To bad Garmin won't tell us more--we could probably help them more.

Oops, I'm running the Diagnostics and noticed that the GPS Version isn't 2.60 as I listed at the top but Version 260. While in diagnostics you can step through 0%, 50%, and 100% backlighting by hitting the power button.

I am cautiously optimistic that they may have corrected my sudden poweroff on 12V disconnect issue.

I went yesterday for three caches before coming home, and disconnected the 12v power source at least twice while still in routing mode. It did shut down on me once, but maybe I accidentally hit turn off when disconnecting it - I did do that once before. I'll have to pay more attention in the future.

Yes, ensure you are in 'Mass Storage'!

I tried it without being in mass storage and it said said no update!

Hi. I can not reach the 2.6 version too. I have tried in mass storage and other different conexion modes without good results. Somebody can tell me what I must do?

Thanks

I wonder why they've only released this as a Webupdater update. The 76CSx firmware released on July 2nd can be installed either using Webupdater or as a standalone update (which is how I've done it).

I think Garmin is trying to transition to using Webupdater excusively for updates of newer products.

I am cautiously optimistic that they may have corrected my sudden poweroff on 12V disconnect issue.

I went yesterday for three caches before coming home, and disconnected the 12v power source at least twice while still in routing mode. It did shut down on me once, but maybe I accidentally hit turn off when disconnecting it - I did do that once before. I'll have to pay more attention in the future.

I had the same problem and it started the day before the update was released! While on our cross country trip it seemed that it would shut down when recalculating a route, and at times it would just turn off. I had to do a reset to get started, and it didn't work until the third try. After I ran the update I too noticed that it shut off on its own, and I too thought that maybe I had done something.......perhaps not. Time will tell.

I installed 2.6 this Sunday and three new PQs and everything seemed to work just fine. Hit a bunch of caches near the casa and was very happy with the results. Will probably do some more caches this week.

I do like the features they added in 2.54 -- especially being able to set the map for each profile. Need to check out some of the newest features to see if they will help out.

Deleting waypoints -

I upgraded to 2.6 on Sunday morning. Then went in, deleted a route and its associated waypoints thru route planner. Turned unit off. Came back to do some other programing and noticed the waypoints were still there but the route was gone. I didn't have this problem with previous 2.51(?) software version and in fact didn't upgrade to 2.54 because others had described the unit crashing when deleting waypoints thru the waypoint manager.

So, I was wondering if in Garmin's haste to fix the crashing problem with waypoint deleting in 2.54, if they inadvertently changed the waypoints from being deleted from a route thru route planner in 2.60.

With a macro you can get line break using $_NewLine.

Try using Pilotsnipes Nuvi Macro. It works very well with the Colorado. See my post with screenshots, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3564518

Red90, this is a great find that I missed during this series of posts this weekend. I tried it and but I'm not seeing anything after the last found date in the description and I'm not seeing any special colors/fonts. I notice on your screen shots you get something like "hit options to see more". Did you do anything special to load the poi database onto your Colorado? When you ran the macro in GSAK which Nuvi did you pick?

Edit: Nevermind> I realized I had the macro pointing and an older POILoader.exe. Works fine now.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

Red90, this is a great find that I missed during this series of posts this weekend. I tried it and but I'm not seeing anything after the last found date in the description and I'm not seeing any special colors/fonts. I notice on your screen shots you get something like "hit options to see more". Did you do anything special to load the poi database onto your Colorado? When you ran the macro in GSAK which Nuvi did you pick?

I used a 2xxW, but all that does is control the maximum amount of characters. Other Nuvis allow more characters. I have not tested to see the limit on the CO.

What version of POI loader are you using? You MUST use the newest version as the earlier versions get the results you are seeing. All of the "data" and formatting is in the "hit options to see more".

GO$Rs

Mine did this until I updated POI Loader to 2.52. I used the default 2.xx choice. It works great! In my case at least 2.52 will not communicate with my 300, so I export my file using Advanced, putting the Poi.gpi in a temp folder to copy and paste into my 300.

In my case at least 2.52 will not communicate with my 300, so I export my file using Advanced, putting the Poi.gpi in a temp folder to copy and paste into my 300.

Same with me. I did ask somewhere if anyone else had this problem. I can use Advanced to put it straight in the correct location on the unit, but if I choose "Garmin Device" it fails to find it.

edit: Oh yah post #59 above.

Edited by Red90

Yep, that was it. I had installed 2.5.2 but the macro was still pointing at an older version in C:\Garmin.

Works on my Colorado and the Oregon. The Oregon displays it a little differently -- no summary screen, it just displays the entire POI description as soon as you select it.

2.5.2 found both my Oregon and Colorado when using the Garmin Device option.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

At some point didn't the Colorado display geocache names on the Map page? People have been complaining about this bug in the Oregon so I checked on my CO running 2.6 and I don't see them there either. I could of sworn they were there at one point.

If anyone has 2.4/2.51/2.54 loaded can you run a quick check?

GO$Rs

No, there has never been names on the map screen unless you hover over the icon and thank god for that.

Why wouldn't you want names on the map screen?

Not having them is painful.

it would of course be configurable per zoom level - or off entirely if you wish - just like any other waypoint.

That's how the 60csx works.

It clutters the screen with unneeded information. If it were properly configurable, that would be fine. BUT with the other Garmin units such as the 60CSX, it is NOT properly configurable. But this is not the place to talk of 60csx bugs.....

I may have run across something new. We went on a road trip from St. louis to San Francisco and back through Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. At one point the entire unit shut down and would not reboot. Thankfully that was the same day the 2.6 update was released. Anyway, after the update I added the Hunt and Fish to the shortcuts, and ever since then it seems when I run a route and it goes to recalculate the Colorado screen goes to the hunt/fish screen. At one time it went to another screen, but I don't remember which one. Can anyone reproduce this?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the switch to a new screen happens when viewing the active route screen not the map screen.

Edited by Evshro & son

Hmmmm. Power problem has morphed on my unit.

The poweroff at 12V disconnect has happened a couple times, nothing near what was happening before. What's interesting is that now I've noticed that the unit will shut off if I have a long route running (ie Freeport, ME to St John, NB) and I make it auto-calc too many times (by leaving the highway for lunch for example) the unit will just shut off during one of the re-calcs. Turning the unit back on resumes the route in progress.

Not as annoying as the 12V disconnect shutoff though.

Hmmmm. Power problem has morphed on my unit.

The poweroff at 12V disconnect has happened a couple times, nothing near what was happening before. What's interesting is that now I've noticed that the unit will shut off if I have a long route running (ie Freeport, ME to St John, NB) and I make it auto-calc too many times (by leaving the highway for lunch for example) the unit will just shut off during one of the re-calcs. Turning the unit back on resumes the route in progress.

Not as annoying as the 12V disconnect shutoff though.

Mine has shut off once or twice...I initially blew it off as user error, but now I don't think so.