Colorado Firmware 2.6

Dosido

This was buried in another thread, and it doesn't appear to be available online, but it is via the web updater.

Firmware 2.6

Not sure how much was already captured in 2.54, but they do say that they fixed the shutdown issue when deleting a waypoint from the map...

Changes from version 2.50 to version 2.60:

Added ability to turn elevation shading off, included in user profile settings

Added ability to log a comment with geocaching Field Notes

Added ability to save map selections to user profile settings

Added compass setting to saved user profile settings

Added tracback along current track

Added ability to determine public land survey or USGS Quad name for Topo 24k HD cartography

Added progress bar during software updates

Added error message when the max number of geocache or gpx files is exceeded

Added ability to search near a map point

Added ability to use the map to add a point to a route

Fixed shutdown when deleting a waypoint from the map

Improved odometer distance calculation

Improved Wherigo engine

Improved backlight behavior

Improved compass / GPS heading autoswitch behavior

Improved keyboard behavior in address & intersection searches

Improved behavior in low battery state

Improved behavior of turn-by-turn route recalculations

Improved map drawing to eliminate redraws when not necessary

Improved map drawing to reduce partial map draws

Improved map drawing to enhance appearance of trails

Improved usability of WGS84 by listing as a datum rather than just a spheroid

Improved automatic track archiving when archiving very lengthy activity segments

Improved button behavior when logging geocache attempt

Improved stopwatch timing

Improved distance precision when reviewing a point and tracks.

Improved inter-tidal color in non-marine colors

Improved readability of geocache_visit.txt

Increased maximum number of GPX files processed to 200

Corrected guidance text to not truncate streets when not necessary

Corrected behavior of proximity alarms in custom points of interest

Corrected potential issues that prevented user alarm from sounding

Corrected map drawing above 75 degrees latitude

Corrected potential issue when attempting to delete profiles

Corrected issue that generated extra waypoints at poweron when 'Mark Waypoint' was the first listed shortcut

Corrected potential issue preventing 'Waypoints' from being listed in 'Where to?'

Corrected issue that prevented poor signal strength messages from disappearing if a fix was achieved

Corrected calculated issue that prevented complete display of large numbers

Corrected specified schema path for GPX files

Corrected Dutch keyboard to include 'Z' for address searches

Corrected User Grid to retain settings between power cycles

Corrected User Grid to allow 'E' and 'W' for longitude origin entry

Corrected shutdown issue when unit has empty Saved.gpx file

Corrected issue of missing active route when you select 'GO' from the full screen map in geocache mode

Corrected issue when selecting a custom poi from the recent found list after it is removed from the system.

Corrected issue when selecting units on the stopwatch page using non-English languages.

Corrected issue when you spell a geocache and the list doesn't reduce when the keyboard auto-pops

Corrected issue where you can't get to a hint for a geocache once you set it to found then back to unfound

Corrected issue where the chart information option would show up incorrectly

Corrected duplicate entries in the other menu when in page loop mode.

Corrected external power lost message in non-English languages

Corrected issue with waypoint symbol selection shutdown

Corrected issue where the unit will hang when you try to restore a Wherigo cartridge.

Corrected potential shutdown going to mass storage mode when you have custom POI's loaded

Corrected issues with Cyrillic characters

Edited by Dosido

I have installed the update, but have not tried it out yet. I'll let you know what I find...

Quite a bit seems the same as v2.54, but there have been a few changes such as trackback etc.

It's going to take a while to check them all out, but the big thing is it hasn't locked up or crashed yet...

Edited by RonFisk

I just did mine, will test it out in the monring. While I was updating my 300 I saw there was an update for my 60CSx also that came out the July 2nd.

One thing I did notice is that the tide tables are no longer there. At least I can't find them. Also I noticed that the hint does not seem to come back. It may work with new caches. I tried it on some of the older ones and it doesn't work.

My mistake, the tide tables are still there. You can still only get them for the present day.

Edited by RonFisk

I just did mine, will test it out in the monring. While I was updating my 300 I saw there was an update for my 60CSx also that came out the July 2nd.

This fixed my power off when connecting to the computer issue. Also I notice the release notes state they fixed the Wherigo Save/Restore. Thank goodness as there is a 20km one near my town!

One thing I did notice is that the tide tables are no longer there. At least I can't find them. Also I noticed that the hint does not seem to come back. It may work with new caches. I tried it on some of the older ones and it doesn't work.

They are still there.

You need to have BlueChart installed with Tide and Marine services.

Shortcuts -> Where To? -> Tides -> Select the nearest place.

I do agree that Tides in 60CSx is at another level.

Grapics display and you can select date.

This fixed my power off when connecting to the computer issue.

Yes it did on mine to. Now I do not need to remove the SD card before connecting.

Edited by jotne

It appears as Wherigo Restore has been fixed BUT I was unable to restore a cartridge to a state saved prior to installing 2.60. So maybe the format or something has changed.

Also verified that the problem with searching for caches by spelling and having the list revert to full list if search criteria is too specific has been fixed.

Has the GPS firmware version changed? Are the accuracy issues still there?

Sorry to bang the same drum again, but it's really the only big issue I have with the Colorado.

Nope

Is that "nope" to both, or "nope" followed by "yup"?

Is that "nope" to both, or "nope" followed by "yup"?

Actually it's nope and I don't know. I'm going out right now for a test run.

Looking for

* Added support for customizing track colors.

which is in the Oregon (WebUpdater) software version 2.20. :rolleyes:

I agree completely! This is one feature we want on the CO! Come on Garmin!!

To get track colors we are going to need the entire Track Manager on the Colorado (its a sub-feature of the Track Manager). I'm guessing that might be a bigger task than they were willing to take on going from 2.54 to 2.6. I am happy to see a lot of new bug fixes, but like Crid said its really the location drift errors we need fixed. I'm hoping for a GPS Software update really soon.

GO$Rs

More importantly I did see a location drift error, about 100' for 15 minutes.

GO$Rs

I know it's a real stab in the dark, but did you ever exchange your unit? Always seems odd to me that some folks see this issue all the time and others never see it. Makes me wonder about some weird hardware issue like a bad antenna connection.

GO$Rs

I know it's a real stab in the dark, but did you ever exchange your unit? Always seems odd to me that some folks see this issue all the time and others never see it. Makes me wonder about some weird hardware issue like a bad antenna connection.

I haven't, but a number of people have replied on the location error thread who have newer units and still see the problem. I'm pretty sure I saw a post from someone with a 300 series in the 5xxxx range the other day -- this is one of the highest serial numbers I've seen. On the 400t I've heard of the error as high as the 3xxxx range.

GO$Rs

Added ability to search near a map point

WhereTo?->Options->Search Near->Map Point will bring you to a map page so you can select a search start point. Not quite as convenient as allowing this from the map page but a good start.

Added ability to use the map to add a point to a route

Route Planner->Create Route->Select Next Point->Use Map

Improved button behavior when logging geocache attempt

Soft buttons are now Cancel and Done. Done completes the log, cancel aborts.

Improved distance precision when reviewing a point and tracks.

Selecting a point or track now seems to give distance in hundreds of whatever unit is used (miles, meters, feet).

I haven't, but a number of people have replied on the location error thread who have newer units and still see the problem. I'm pretty sure I saw a post from someone with a 300 series in the 5xxxx range the other day -- this is one of the highest serial numbers I've seen. On the 400t I've heard of the error as high as the 3xxxx range.

GO$Rs

I have a 400t unit in the 34xxxxx range, and I've seen periodic location drift problems. Very periodic but I have had the thing go out by 150 metres and stay there until a reboot (not patient enough to wait 15 minutes when I'm caching).

It'll be interesting to see how things shake out on the 2.6 firmware. My unit did seem to be happier on the 2.54 firmware than it was before. While I'd like to see a GPS software update, just a reminder that the problem could actually be in another module - if there is a race condition on the map draw for example, it might bog the processor just enough to throw the timing out of whack, and thus the GPS position.

Is anyone else a bit surprised to see the jump from 2.54 (beta) to 2.60 (release) that quick?

Wow! Just in time! I am in the middle of a road trip out to Californis from Missouri and my Colorado just started shutting down when I perform Wheret to--Recent Find--go. The only thing that would get it started is a hard reset. Hopefully this takes care of it!! Seems to............so far.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

I have a low SN 400t (18Z004xxx) and have never seen the problem. Was thinking more of defects with single units, not a design or systematic manufacturing issue.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

I have a low SN 400t (18Z004xxx) and have never seen the problem. Was thinking more of defects with single units, not a design or systematic manufacturing issue.

It seems that serial number may not have anything to do with which units drift because newer units seem to be doing also. I went out this morning with 2,6 software loaded on my colorado and took my 60CSx to compare tracks and they were almost identical. My tests have been pretty consistent with my 300. Still have not experienced the drift. Going out this weekend on a long hike, will test it again.

The only thing I experienced , and I am not sure if it was a drift but on the way to a cache it showed me 10 ft away then jumped to 45 ft and it consistently did this in one paticular area, I was on a hillside looking near some rocks for a cache in a canyon. I chalked it up to area because once I left the area everything was back to normal. I went back to the same location and it happened again. Which confirmed the area was the issue. Both my colorado and my friends colorado was doing the same thing.

I’m guessing you’ve had it and never noticed. I also have a 400t s/n18Z004XXX and a 300 s/n 169004XXX that I’ve seen it on both. You normally don’t notice it in geocaching mode unless the GPS is pointing at a 4 terrain and the cache is only a 1 ½ terrain. I can tell that mine are going into drift when the reported accuracy goes over 50’ and doesn’t come down. Problem is geocaching mode doesn’t show accuracy.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

It seems that serial number may not have anything to do with which units drift because newer units seem to be doing also. I went out this morning with 2,6 software loaded on my colorado and took my 60CSx to compare tracks and they were almost identical. My tests have been pretty consistent with my 300. Still have not experienced the drift. Going out this weekend on a long hike, will test it again.

The only thing I experienced , and I am not sure if it was a drift but on the way to a cache it showed me 10 ft away then jumped to 45 ft and it consistently did this in one paticular area, I was on a hillside looking near some rocks for a cache in a canyon. I chalked it up to area because once I left the area everything was back to normal. I went back to the same location and it happened again. Which confirmed the area was the issue. Both my colorado and my friends colorado was doing the same thing.

I just took it on a hike with my 60csx as well. nearly identical tracks. also, i have a relatively low number unit and havent seen it drift at all. and as seen in post #22 i always seem to have great EPE.

I’m guessing you’ve had it and never noticed. I also have a 400t s/n18Z004XXX and a 300 s/n 169004XXX that I’ve seen it on both. You normally don’t notice it in geocaching mode unless the GPS is pointing at a 4 terrain and the cache is only a 1 ½ terrain. I can tell that mine are going into drift when the reported accuracy goes over 50’ and doesn’t come down. Problem is geocaching mode doesn’t show accuracy.

You can set one of your data fields in the full screen map to GPS accuracy... or one of the fields in the Trip Computer.

Hi all Im sorry but I can't reach the 2.60 version via webupdate. I have 2.54 in my Co300 and when I run the webupdater it found no update, just some text update. Do I need to downgrade to 2.51 ? I guess not. Did anybody encoutered such problem ?

Yes, ensure you are in 'Mass Storage'!

I tried it without being in mass storage and it said said no update!

I’m guessing you’ve had it and never noticed. I also have a 400t s/n18Z004XXX and a 300 s/n 169004XXX that I’ve seen it on both.

Just something to note - the Colorado reports a different serial number on the Setup->System->Options->Software Version ( mine is 340552xxxx there). The serial number inside the battery compartment on mine is 18Z00xxxx. Bought mine in May. This may bring some issue when comparing hign / low serial number models, as people may be reporting one or the other.

I have my accuracy right on my compass screen in geocaching mode. I also can tell since I download my tracks and compare them between the the 60Csx and the colorado.

I have my accuracy right on my compass screen in geocaching mode. I also can tell since I download my tracks and compare them between the the 60Csx and the colorado.

apologies in advance for the thread hijack. How do you load multiple tracks in Mapsource? I have separate GPX files for eack track, but when I can only see one at a time in Mapsource.

TIA

... the Colorado reports a different serial number on the Setup->System->Options->Software Version ( mine is 340552xxxx there). The serial number inside the battery ...

no the CO doesn't. the first reported entry is the unit id.

frohes jagen

Just something to note - the Colorado reports a different serial number on the Setup->System->Options->Software Version ( mine is 340552xxxx there). The serial number inside the battery compartment on mine is 18Z00xxxx. Bought mine in May. This may bring some issue when comparing hign / low serial number models, as people may be reporting one or the other.

Good point - Unit ID is different from Serial Number. Probably all serials start with 18Z. I believe all Unit IDs start with 34.

apologies in advance for the thread hijack. How do you load multiple tracks in Mapsource? I have separate GPX files for eack track, but when I can only see one at a time in Mapsource.

TIA

I use google earth and not mapsource. Bu if you want to use mapsource you have to run multple instances of mapsource and keep a clean one then load the tracks into one copy and then copy and paste them into the other. Then load up the next track and cut and paste that one also into the other mapsource.

Edited by storm180

Good point - Unit ID is different from Serial Number. Probably all serials start with 18Z. I believe all Unit IDs start with 34.

Oh great, they are taking Magellan's lead. Why can't they just use one number for consistency?

Edited by ryguyMN

I use google earth and not mapsource. Bu if you want to use mapsource you have to run multple instances of mapsource and keep a clean one then load the tracks into one copy and then copy and paste them into the other. Then load up the next track and cut and paste that one also into the other mapsource.

Thanks for that tip.