Ideas for our Fall Geocaching Event

We'd like to think out of the box a little for our Fall event and offer seminars/breakout sessions for those that are interested. So far, we have:

* tech refresher--paperless caching, PQs, etc

* a puzzle FAQ

* fresh ideas to help us make our caches more creative

What kinds of seminars could we include? I don't think we'd offer too many topics, but it would be nice to have some ideas to choose from!

Edited by meralgia

We'd like to think out of the box a little for our Fall event and offer seminars/breakout sessions for those that are interested. So far, we have:

* tech refresher--paperless caching, PQs, etc

* a puzzle FAQ

What kinds of seminars could we include? I don't think we'd offer too many topics, but it would be nice to have some ideas to choose from!

Do you know anyone in the area that hides letterbox hybrids with hand-carved stamps? Perhaps they can demonstrate how to carve a stamp from a vinyl eraser or rubber material (e.g. Speedball's Speedy-Stamp).

I demo'd at a local annual geocaching event last year and had a great time - for ideas, you can read about it on my blog.

I'd think a "newbie hider" seminar would be helpful. Get a box full of containers, and explain how some common containers (plastic coffee cans, pill bottles, solo zip lock bags, etc.) aren't so great, due to water leakage, etc. (you get the idea), and work your way up to bison tubes, ammo boxes, and other traditional containers.

Maybe show how to creatively camo a container, complete with a "paint your own container" table, and let the participants keep the container the camo'd. That might spur some newer cachers to get out there and place some new hides in your area. Go over the do's and don'ts, and maybe stuff each container with a slip of paper that has the hiding guidelines URL on it.

Include an "art of the log book" segment, showing how a log book can be so much more than just a folded up piece of paper stuffed in a zip lock bag. Make up a few nifty custom log books with geocaching themed book covers (an 89 cent mini-composition book with a glued on computer generated cover glued on), etc. Cut a composition book to make a tiny log book that will fit neatly in a magnetic key holder.

Hide some containers around the area, and demo good vs. not-so-good concealment. Explain that it will be concealed/re-concealed repeatedly, and show the difference a little planning can make.

I hope this helps.

A short seminar on the proper handling of geocoins/travel bugs. The correct way to log and move them, what is acceptable to do with them, length of time held, virtual logging no-no's, lots of information on this topic to share, and even some seasoned cachers could do with a brush-up on knowledge, especially with some of the new trackables coming out now, like the geogems, trackable Signal figurines, etc.