New to geocaching - lamp posts?

Silfron Mandotheneset

I've read a lot about how geocachers supposedly know more about lamp posts than any other group of people. I assume this is because there are a lot of caches attached to/near/inside/whatever lamp posts? If so, could someone direct me to a lamp post cache in the KC or Wichita area? If none exist around here the Oklahoma City area (or north of it) would be fine too, as I travel down there a lot. I just want to see what all the hype is about :D

But if we told you where they were, then it would give away the hunt, now wouldn't it?!

Actually, I've never been to KC, but I'm sure it has its share of lampost caches. Look for caches that you think might be in parking lots (the google map feature might help with this)...maybe it will turn out to be a lampost.

A lot of cachers find these caches dull/annoying--I think that's why previous poster said be careful what you wish for. I personally don't mind, but then again have only found one in my short geocaching career thus far.

Good luck!

They are creative, but soon become quite annoying after finding a dozen 'skirt lifter' caches during a long day of caching. Instead of a fun find, they become another piece of paper to sign... That said, if you haven't found too many they can be a nice change from the norm. Follow honeybee77's advice and find a parking lot with a cache in it and try it out. Odds are good it's a lamp post.

In Oklahoma City there is a series called "SL?? - Skirt Lifter Series". Some 26 caches and a bonus. They are good for newbies, rainy days or a quick smilie. No real challenge. When they published, there was a guy that got allmost all the FTFs, so that's something else they were good for. :sad: