Garmin Colorado and Map Datum

Fort S

I'm hoping someone can help me here. Just got my new Garmin Colorado and am quite pleased. However, in addition to Geocaching, I am an Army Reservist and a GPS can be VERY useful in the bush. I am having difficulty getting the unit to display in MIL GRID format and to use either NAD 83 or WGS 84. It doesn't seem to have those options. I am also using Map Source Canada TOPO ver 6.13.7.

Thanks!

I'm hoping someone can help me here. Just got my new Garmin Colorado and am quite pleased. However, in addition to Geocaching, I am an Army Reservist and a GPS can be VERY useful in the bush. I am having difficulty getting the unit to display in MIL GRID format and to use either NAD 83 or WGS 84. It doesn't seem to have those options. I am also using Map Source Canada TOPO ver 6.13.7.

Thanks!

I think WGS 84 is the default on the Colorado, but it should be there in the setup somewhere... :-)

As far as the grid coords, this is from Garmin's FAQ:

Q. What Garmin units feature Military Grid Reference System (MGRS)?

A. Among others, the GPS 12, GPS 12XL, GPS 48, GPS 92, GPS 126, GPS 128, GPSMAP 295, eMap, eTrex, GPS III Plus, GPS 12Map, GPS 76, GPSMAP 76, GPSMAP 176, GPSMAP 176C, and GPS V support the MGRS coordinate system.

I don't see the COlorado on that list...

I think WGS 84 is the default on the Colorado, but it should be there in the setup somewhere... :-)

As far as the grid coords, this is from Garmin's FAQ:

Q. What Garmin units feature Military Grid Reference System (MGRS)?

A. Among others, the GPS 12, GPS 12XL, GPS 48, GPS 92, GPS 126, GPS 128, GPSMAP 295, eMap, eTrex, GPS III Plus, GPS 12Map, GPS 76, GPSMAP 76, GPSMAP 176, GPSMAP 176C, and GPS V support the MGRS coordinate system.

I don't see the COlorado on that list...

Because that list is old, it does say "Among others,".

Edited by coggins

MGRS is supported by the colorado fw 2.54.

frohes jagen.

Note that 2.54 is only available as a beta release. As a result, you cannot download it with web updater. You must fetch it directly from the Garmin web site and install it manually. Also note that no manual install is available for the Mac (as far as I know).

Just downloaded the new firmware update which now lists WGS 84 as an option. Perfect!

WGS84 is the default. WGS84 has always been available. However, prior to 2.54b, it was a little weird because the proper setting was the WGS84 spheroid with a datum of none. In 2.54b, they finally decided to stop confusing people and list it as a datum as well.

2.60 has just been released in non-beta. It is available via web updater.