PICLENS - a plea to GC.COM

kewfriend

Just when you thought there was nothing new under the sun, along comes PICLENS for FF3 and IE7. Just imagine how wonderful it would be to view your own (or anyone else's) geo-gallery in PICLENS.

For PICLENS to work the website needs to be PICLENS enabled - so here's the plea .....

GET GC.COM PICLENS ENABLED PLEASE

If you would like to support this plea to GC.COM - add your name and comment below.

Just installed the plugin. Neat! So then downloaded the album creater and a few minutes later got all our geocaching pictures onto my website. If you've got Piclens on your browser have a look....

But sometimes it won't display saying Piclens is not installed and sometimes it crashes my browser. So not totally convinced yet...

Our geocaching pics

Chris

Edited by The Blorenges

Every other request for a response from Groundspeak here in the last month or two has been totally ignored so good luck with this one.

Not sure why you are ASSUMING that they have been ignored.

I would think this would be a great idea as well.

Sorry, but I oppose Groundspeak spending time on browser-specific solutions. I'd much prefer that they spend their time on making all pages conform to W3 standards. If this also enables FF to do things with plugins, great! But I clicked on the link earlier in the thread, and all I got (in Opera) was a page full of unlabeled images which linked to pages with larger images.

Furthermore, if you design your display for a FF feature, then you cut out everyone using other browsers. Thus even "enabling" a browser-specific solution is a Bad Thing.

The history of the web is a history of people designing for IE. I've been using Opera for nearly ten years, and have always objected to browser-specific design. Let's not go from IE-specific design to FF-specific design.

Edward

Sorry, but I oppose Groundspeak spending time on browser-specific solutions. I'd much prefer that they spend their time on making all pages conform to W3 standards. If this also enables FF to do things with plugins, great! But I clicked on the link earlier in the thread, and all I got (in Opera) was a page full of unlabeled images which linked to pages with larger images.

Furthermore, if you design your display for a FF feature, then you cut out everyone using other browsers. Thus even "enabling" a browser-specific solution is a Bad Thing.

The history of the web is a history of people designing for IE. I've been using Opera for nearly ten years, and have always objected to browser-specific design. Let's not go from IE-specific design to FF-specific design.

Edward

Piclens runs on both FF and IE7. If you don't have it loaded, the image gallery looks exactly the same as it does now. It's just a display enhancement for those who do have it loaded. No one is "cut out" of anything. Everyone sees the same pictures.

Edited by Prime Suspect
Piclens runs on both FF and IE7. If you don't have it loaded, the image gallery looks exactly the same as it does now. It's just a display enhancement for those who do have it loaded. No one is "cut out" of anything. Everyone sees the same pictures.

I think the important thing to note is the display of the HTML content doesn't change one iota. Piclens uses an enhanced RSS feed--instead of just text, it adds images and Piclens displays the image thumbnails. There is only a single line of change in the HTML document and your browser will ignore it if there is no plug-in that uses it.

Creating the feed would be fairly straight forward as well as most of the work is already done, only the presentation of the data would be different in the RSS feed.

If only it had made the release today.. oh wait. It did!

If you visit any cache listing or the main gallery page you should see you CoolIris (aka PicLens) icon turn blue.

Visit http://www.cooliris.com/ to download the nice little browser add-on and feast your eyes on the beauty that it is! :anicute:

-Raine

Cache galleries seem to be freaking out. See this, for example.

Also, Cooliris doesn't seem to be working for profile galleries.

If only it had made the release today.. oh wait. It did!

If you visit any cache listing or the main gallery page you should see you CoolIris (aka PicLens) icon turn blue.

Visit http://www.cooliris.com/ to download the nice little browser add-on and feast your eyes on the beauty that it is! :D

-Raine

Cache galleries seem to be freaking out. See this, for example.

Also, Cooliris doesn't seem to be working for profile galleries.

If you're talking about the large and little pictures, that was happening before the cooliris and even before the latest releases. The large pictures are the ones that were uploaded by the owner during cache page creation. or later.

What I found odd was the thumbnails won't show the cooliris arrow, but the full-sized pictures will.

Certain greasemonkey scripts can interfere with Cooliris. I had one for google images and it would not allow Cooliris to work with google images. I know there are several GS scripts out there GC cache listings. Try temporarily disabling GS and see if Cooliris works. If it does, then you just need to reenable GS and figure out which script is causing the problem.