Favorite Positive logs in your caches

weathernowcast

I like posting flattering long logs for my favorite caches. Today, I received such a complement. Although the cache is "just" a cemetery cache in the town where I live, I wanted to share the log as it is my all-time favorite log (Thanks Ramapo) because of its visualization and also because it reminded me of my father playing in the hills around his old farmstead in the Midwest.

Please post your favorite POSITIVE log here and a link to your cache if you wish.

ramapo found the forgotten of Brockhuizen Lane (Unknown Cache) at 7/16/2008

Log Date: 7/16/2008

This was a real blast from the past. In order to duplicate my treks of yesteryear, I parked by the Rea Mansion off Goffle Rd and walked down through the park and then up the steep hill of Brockhuizen Lane. Just the name, Brockhuizen Lane, is pretty eerie. Although it has been 40 years (ouch!) or so since I was last here, I experienced many of the same thoughts during my visit today as I did then. These included:

1) Watch out for sunken graves, you might fall in.

2) Watch out for coffins that have floated up to ground level, you might find something that you didn't want to. (A few summers working in a cemetery pretty much cured me of this fear).

3) Keep your eyes open for bones and such.

4) One of the neighbors will come out and yell at you.

5) One of the neighbors will call the cops on you because you're nosing around an old graveyard.

6) Ghosts! (not really)

Well nobody, living or dead, bothered me. I was able to answer all the questions and found the cache without any trouble.

The Jewish cemetery is in better shape than I remember it. Some local congregation must maintain the grounds as a mitzvah. I was surprised to see some relatively recent burials (if you think the 1980s are recent).

The other cemetery is nearly lost to the ages. It is definitely in worse condition. Sunken graves and all. Only a few stones can be found.

The cemeteries were the first stop on our hikes up to the then quarry above. There was a spot we called Indian Cave which was a decent sized crevice in the side of a cliff. It was large enough to actually enter and seemed pretty cool to a kid. We'd visit that, than scale the cliff to the top, which brought you near the rim of the quarry. Of course, this was a forbidden zone and there were tales that men in trucks were always on patrol and they would be directed to your location by other men in small planes. So whenever a small plane was in the area, you had to seek cover. I didn't like getting to close to the edge anyway, it was a long drop.

For a few minutes last night, I thought about how I'd like to continue up the hill in search of Indian Cave after finding the cache, completely forgetting about the ensuing decades of development since I was last here. A look with Google Earth reminded me what I knew too well; the orchards, quarry, and forests that were once here are long gone. There are new homes only a few dozen feet west of the cemetery. The quarry is no great loss but there were some very nice woods and cliffs here.

After getting back to the car, I drove around the streets above the cemetery trying to catch a glimpse of Indian Cave.

There are still a few steep slopes that might hide it, or it might've been closer to Rea Ave Ext., where the orchard once stood. But I think it was likely blasted away. The quarry development is actually pretty amazing.

I usually have a flash of the cemeteries of Brockhuizen Lane whenever I drive past (probably thousands of times over the years) and I'm glad I finally made it back up there for a visit.

TFTC.

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...6f-c5ff7a1f4290

not a long found log but I really enjoyed reading this one. it's a cache called now let's swap hidden by my boyfriend and I. GCQC2G (it'll be archived sept this year as dcnr permit expires). this area will host a new cache inspired by this post when the old one is archived. have a wedding ring (fake) sitting around as part of the new cache.

December 22, 2007 by dakdesigner (3 found)

I thought Moraine would be a great place to finally pop the question to my long time girlfriend and what better way than geocaching! It was a nice quiet walk and it only took a little scrounging to find the cache buried in the remnants of the snow. She took the three leaf clover luck charm exclaiming "Look! Today's my lucky day!". What timing! I asked her to marry me and she said yes! I think it was MY lucky day! Merry Christmas everyone!

[view this log on a separate page]

not a long found log but I really enjoyed reading this one. it's a cache called now let's swap hidden by my boyfriend and I. GCQC2G (it'll be archived sept this year as dcnr permit expires). this area will host a new cache inspired by this post when the old one is archived. have a wedding ring (fake) sitting around as part of the new cache.

December 22, 2007 by dakdesigner (3 found)

I thought Moraine would be a great place to finally pop the question to my long time girlfriend and what better way than geocaching! It was a nice quiet walk and it only took a little scrounging to find the cache buried in the remnants of the snow. She took the three leaf clover luck charm exclaiming "Look! Today's my lucky day!". What timing! I asked her to marry me and she said yes! I think it was MY lucky day! Merry Christmas everyone!

[view this log on a separate page]

thanks for sharing a great log from someone who still only has 3 finds! Perhaps the wedding plans got in the way of caching

I go this log on my Pathfinder Night Cache. It always makes me feel good when I learn that the experience of finding one of my caches has brought people closer together.

June 6, 2008 by MatireMind

#119 - Was out with my 11yr old son tonight and we had a blast!!! When it was light out he was up for it, but when driving down the dirt road to the bridge in the dark he'd say when seeing a car heading toward us that was leaving I wish I was in that car. We laughed and continued on. We both loved it, it was the first night cache we'd ever done. What a GREAT time I had with my son!!! Thanks For The Cache and we Signed the Log. We took a button, Thanks so much!

I go this log on my Pathfinder Night Cache. It always makes me feel good when I learn that the experience of finding one of my caches has brought people closer together.

June 6, 2008 by MatireMind

#119 - Was out with my 11yr old son tonight and we had a blast!!! When it was light out he was up for it, but when driving down the dirt road to the bridge in the dark he'd say when seeing a car heading toward us that was leaving I wish I was in that car. We laughed and continued on. We both loved it, it was the first night cache we'd ever done. What a GREAT time I had with my son!!! Thanks For The Cache and we Signed the Log. We took a button, Thanks so much!

sounds like they had fun.

I always KBer's logs. Here is one of my favorites of his:

Call me Ishmael."

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair."

"The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting."

American literature is replete with wondrous opening sentences, they set the stage, flavor and tone for the experience to come.

It is not my intention to equalize this cache with Melville, Dickens and Crane, but when you turn the bend on the trail from the Grace Lord parking area on Morris Avenue, the opening visual of the cache is presented, and you identify that this is going to be an distinguished geocache experience.

I will be circumspect with my comments to preserve the experience for others.

I observed the remnants of the railroad turntable. I believe that the many historical ruins around the area are not from the same time period. Each ruin should be taken on its own.

I arrived at the first stage, mitigated the bounce and found the cache. I observed the kiln and what I believe is a storage area for finished product or the material waiting to be processed.

The coordinates for the second stage were very accurate, combined with the hint, made the recovery of the second stage cache a fun challenging task.

The final cache was hidden in the expected location, the coordinates, after some bounce settled nicely on the GZ.

TNLN, SL.

Thanks for a superlative multi cache, well done

Still my all-time favorite :laughing:

"June 4, 2006 by The Pirates of Wallenpaupack (1054 found)

052906 Captains Log

Came across a map today, Old Robinson Pond. Legend has it, it holds treasure beyond anyone’s wildest dreams. Loaded up with supplies (water, juice, GPS, ect…). Stowed them aboard ship (jeep). First mate (wife) came along. The crew (kids) stayed behind because of foul weather (school). Finally we set sail. Arriving at the pond we found no water, it dried up. I get the supplies from ship and set out across land. The first mate stayed to guard the ship (read a book). Is that rain? No it be those caterpillars pooing all over the place. The trail wasn’t too bad, had to fight off the mosquitoes and the caterpillar webs. Arrived at first clue location. Took awhile to find. Off to the next location. Passed another small pond and some orange lizard creatures. The next location proved a lot more difficult. Could not find, must be over looking something. Getting late had to return to ship then port. Studied map for a clue (emailed Fox and the Hound) but not a spoiler.

053106 Captains Log

Had to stay a port till the storm blew over (had to work). Stocked up on more supplies and set sail again. This time with additional clue, I found after a few minutes. I had checked this spot, but not close enough! Off to the next clue. This one was easy, way too easy. Later I found, it wasn’t in its original spot. Lucky me! Off to the next location. Again, this one proved harder. Could not find. Getting late. Had to return to ship and home.

060206 Captains Log

Again foul weather (work) searched, and searched the area. No luck. What am I looking for and where could it be. Again getting late. Searched map some more (e-mailed Joe Hook, and jconway23). Received clue from Joe, but not a spoiler.

060406 Captains Log

Returned alone. Found with no problem. How Did I miss this one. I must have walked past it, over a 100 times. If it were a snake, it would have bitten me. Final clue, again I searched, and searched. So I tried in the opposite direction. After about 15 min I finally found it. YAHOO!!!!!! What a hunt this was! Again I searched this area earlier also. SL/took “IRON CELTIC CROSS TB”, “TO PROTECT AND SERVE” TB, “#1 USA GEOCOIN” and “WHITE JEEP TRAVEL BUG””BRETTA”. I will move them along ASAP. Thanks Fox and the Hound for such a well thought out adventure! I’d also like to thank the other cachers for their advice without spoiling the adventure. I hope the next Cacher has just as much fun!"

It's logs like these that make all the time and effort of making a quality cache worthwhile...... :D

GC165HM Shickshinny Valley

December 13, 2007 by mtndave (262 found)

Mental Health Day from work.

I never put any trust in the weatherpersons so since it was early and it wasn't snowin yet I'd decided to give it a go. Met up with Bear and we headed on down Rt 11. Of course by that time the sleet and sno had begun. No turning back now.

Arrived at parking and proceed to part 1. By now there was a good inch or two and coming down so hard I has to keep swiping the GPSr screen while entering coords for part 2. Off we went and what a nice walk in this newly found part of Penns Woods. The falling snow on the Hemlocks and ground only added to this journey.

Spied part 2 with no trouble.....getting it was a different story. Now this is a very clever hide that will escape those that don't pay attention and think too much.

On the way to the final we sidetripped (I do a lot of that) to take in the strong flowing stream. WOW !!!! What a drop and I love the keyhole below. Continuing on we explored some of the non-natural features and imagined it back then.

Found final without trouble (good hide) and did that thing we all do. Yes, it was still snowing hard and now about 4 inches.

As is my custom I now went into explorer mode. Hey, if it brings you to a neat place take it ALL in.

Spied some lower trails and bushwacked our way down. Made our way along the trail around the ledge (tricky in the snow) for a better view of the falls over the dam only to discover that I was directly above the second falls thru the keyhole. I took the risk and bellied out on a snow covered rock for a fantastic view directly down the falls. The water was running strong and it seemed to go down a series of "steps" but at the bottom must be striking an obstruction that launched the torrent up into the air launching the flow to land about 40 yards down stream. VERY COOL and I suspect the water has to be just right for this effect.

The snow only added to this marvelous scene by framing the waters in a white frame of beauty. I did take pictures but the heavy snowfall seems to have added a popcorn effect. RATS.

I fully intend to return to this cache area in the near future for yet more exploration and some real photo work. (PAWaterfalls - NEPAG cacher/photographer would love this spot)

Thanks so much for placing this cache. This is a true cachers cache. I look forward to discovering the other nearby soon. This I will save for just a little more snow and don the snowshoes for what I expect to be another fine adventure.

I don't usually write a book on a cache find but this really deserves all it can get. For those who wish for a true geocache with a great hike, cleaver hides and a journey to another treasure on Mother Nature. "Here's your Sign".

MtnDave

:D