COINTEST: Help me plan my cross country road trip!

ThirstyMick

I'm planning a roadtrip across the US/Canada with my boyfriend (who is also a cacher :D) ~ Help us plan it!

We have a rough plan of where were going and will be narrowing in on the details in the next couple weeks before leaving on the 31st. I'm looking for suggestions from all of you on things we should make sure to not miss! From all of the suggestions I get, I'll make a list of things we want to try and visit. Whether a suggestion makes the list or not will depend on what the suggestion is as well as how closely it falls along our planned route (which is still changing) so please don't be offended if we don't go to your suggestion. When I compile and printout my list I will not include the usernames of who posted the suggestion, I might happen to remember, but I will base my decision entirely on the place :D Even if a spot makes the list, we may or may not make it there depending on our schedule, which will probably change as we go.

There will be five winners (minimum) based upon my (and the boyfriends) favorite spots.

The prizes will be: 2 (or more) ThirstyMick nerds, 2 LE Antique Silver I-80 NJ coins (I thought it was appropriate since this is where we're starting out) and a 2008 Earth Turtle. I may add some other coins to the list depending on how many suggestions I get/use :D

So what kinds of suggestions am I looking for? All sorts of things. Your suggestion can be anything: your favorite geocache, your favorite geological feature, or a specific spot in a park, a really great hole in the wall restaurant, your favorite brewpub, a bizarre roadside attraction. Mostly I'm looking for things that aren't already on my list :D Secrets that a local or a regular visitor might know :D As an example (that I'm now disqualifying) "Yellowstone" wouldn't be an appropriate suggestion but "GCXXXX" or "Old Faithful" would be, some lesser known spot would be even better :) We're basing the general route of our trip around national parks, but if there is a state or a local park that you think is worth stopping at, that would be perfect (I can't tell you how many times we drove up I-93 past Franconia Notch in New Hampshire before looking up and seeing the Indian Head, doh!) If you suggest a specific spot that is already on my list, it still qualifies. Please also post a little description of why you think the spot is great (or a photo :D).

I'm going to leave the suggestion period open until next Monday, but I'm limiting each poster to 2 suggestions, so please take some time to think about your recommendation. If you post a suggestion and scroll up to see someone already posted it, your post is disqualified but you can post another suggestion. Please don't edit your posts. If we make it to less than 5 of the suggestions, I'll use a random number generator to pick random posts for the difference. I'll announce the spots we're visiting before or on the 31st of July and the winners will be announced when we get back at the end of August.

That was a lot of writing :D So whats our general (tentative) route? We're taking I-80 west to I-90, across to WY, and North to MT, and AB, West to Vancouver and South (depending on time) to CA.. East to CO, and then Back home along I-80. We'll be going to just about every national park (US and Canadian) we can squeeze in.

I think I covered everything, but please feel free to ask questions! Thanks for your recommendations!!!

If your taking Bicycles be sure to explore rail trails and parks with easy roads as you can cover alot more ground in a lot less time If you have amountain bikes be sure to get a rack and a slide on & Off trunk as it is real convienent if you are not taking bikes ignore this post.

Two places I would definitely hit are Yellowston NP and Mt Rushmore. You can take 90 to Mt Rushmore and then make your way across Wyoming. You will not be disappointed with Yellowstone. There are several Virtual Caches there to feed the geocache fix. Plus they're both in the northern half of the US so it's a quick drive up to Canada. Have fun on your trip!

While heading south from Vancouver to California, I suggest a fairly quick detour (30 minutes east of Portland, Oregon) to Crown Point:

040530-199..jpg

With stunning views of the Columbia River Gorge. You can easily grab GC1CJDC (and nearby Benchmarks) and Shop99er's Earth Cache GC19NTV.

Don't forget a stop to nearby majestic Multnomah Falls:

MultnomahFalls.jpg

There you will find GCKXV7 and Earth Cache GC14VG2. Be sure to bring a sweatshirt - it gets cold up there!

I hope you enjoy your vacation. It sounds very fun and very ambitious!! :D

[edit to add] thanks for the cointest!

Edited by ThePetersTrio

Well, you'll be close to our little neck of the woods!! I'd love to suggest a stop out here to our cacher paradise known as Hayes State Park! Hayes offers boating and fishing, camping, picnicing and CACHES!! You could spend the day or weekend here having fun with some of our caches (ranging from kinda simple to adventurous bushwacking type treks).

Traveling the historic US 12 (used to be the main stagecoach route between Chicago and detroit), you'll find much to marvel at...one such attraction is where we've hidden Michigan's Cache Across America GCXK0G! McCourtie Park used to be Al Capone's "hole-in-the-wall" hideout when coming from or going to Detroit. The hills truly do hold secrets...the underground hideout, the mysterious concrete trees....this place is awesome! Some say they can still see the ghosts (this park was also showcased as one of the most haunted in the USA).

While in the Irish Hills area, enjoy the laid-back feeling of a hay-ride at Stagecoach Stop or feel the wind in your hair at Michigan International Speedway (MIS)...you can even experience the thrill first-hand with a ride around the track in a real race car!

And best of all, if I can break free, I'd be more than happy to come out and play tour guide for you!!

Well, you'll be close to our little neck of the woods!! I'd love to suggest a stop out here to our cacher paradise known as Hayes State Park! Hayes offers boating and fishing, camping, picnicing and CACHES!! You could spend the day or weekend here having fun with some of our caches (ranging from kinda simple to adventurous bushwacking type treks).

Traveling the historic US 12 (used to be the main stagecoach route between Chicago and detroit), you'll find much to marvel at...one such attraction is where we've hidden Michigan's Cache Across America GCXK0G! McCourtie Park used to be Al Capone's "hole-in-the-wall" hideout when coming from or going to Detroit. The hills truly do hold secrets...the underground hideout, the mysterious concrete trees....this place is awesome! Some say they can still see the ghosts (this park was also showcased as one of the most haunted in the USA).

While in the Irish Hills area, enjoy the laid-back feeling of a hay-ride at Stagecoach Stop or feel the wind in your hair at Michigan International Speedway (MIS)...you can even experience the thrill first-hand with a ride around the track in a real race car!

And best of all, if I can break free, I'd be more than happy to come out and play tour guide for you!!

Thanks for the offer to play tour guide :D I'd have to talk it over with my boyfriend though, we were planning on buzzing through most of the close states :D

Going-to-the Sun-Road in Glacier National Park (if you are deeply affected by Mother Nature and all her gifts, your soul will be touched by heaven on earth). Words and pictures are not adequate to describe the way this place will make you feel. My dream is to move to Whitefish, MT which is very close to Glacier :) Have I ever mentioned that Montana is wonderful? :D You can always stop in Helena too and see me :D

DSCN1520sizedjpgexc.jpg

GlacierNationalParkMontana.jpg

meadow.jpg

Assuming you will be using the Trans Canada Hwy from Calgary to Vancouver there are tons of places to stop and I won't comment on any hides in Calgary just yet....

Here's a favorite....our first puzzle cache GCR06W. It is near a cave in the mountains but is not a heavy hike. The cave was created during the Cold War to house important government documents. Our family had a blast finding this one.

HPIM0650-1.jpg

And of course if you are stopping in Banff National Park near Lake Louise, please stop by my Earthcache at Moraine Lake GC16PVR. It is the site of the Valley of Ten Peaks...the scenic view used on the old Canadian Twenty Dollar Bill.

Oh! that is so great!!!

Sorry I do not know much about caches, places there etc, but how about making a trip with adventure?

With motorcicles, riding against the wind, free of stress, exploring the areas where ever you want, seeing beautiful nature mirracles, camping near lakes, fishing, making barbeque (collect branches and light a fire - but be careful with it!), sleeping under the stars.... awake with the singing of the birds....

You can create a base in a place like that for some days, (a place that will make your heart beat, a place blessed by God), and you can go hiking or making canoe rides (is that the correct way to say it?), in lakes for geocaching....

What I mean with all that? Live in adventure, explore the nature, be romantic......explore your inside world... (I do not mean anything.... you know! :) ).....

Well if you make it to Yosemite NP, you will want to sneek out the back door and visit Bodie State Historic Park. (GC1E38), it is a real ghost town, not a tourist ghost town. While driving from Yosemite to Bodie you must stop to eat at the Whoa Nellie Deli (GCPG70), it is a world class restaurant in a Mobile gas station. Have a wonderful trip and I am sure you will see many places you will want to visit again.

If you get up that far Glacier National Monument is a sight to see.

Take the Road to the Sun Tour

It was snowed in when we were there.

Start with Old McDonald had a Lake GC9859 on Glacier Rte. 1.

Then up the tour to GC9865 Swim Hole,GC9872 Wall of Fame,GC9877 Waterfalls,GC9871 Top O the Pass,GC9869 Baring Falls,GC986F Sun Point.

Now if your near Cut Bank, Montana across the Blackfeet Nation where Lewis and Clark had their only fight on their Tour The Two Medicine Fight Sight which is a Waymark is on the way to:GCJCCY Ruins of Cut Bank,

and GCPFEQ DINOSAUR COULEE CACHE.

If your route take you through Great Falls where ther is also some great Lewis and Clark History and have a few travelers with you see:GCR5G5 GREAT FALLS TRAVEL BUG INN.

That gives you a few up next to the Canadian Border as well.

I have a bunch more we did on our vacation and many we missed as well.

Have fun and most of all

HAPPY..........................................................................................GEOTRAILS

PA: Yes I know these 2 are mine, but they are either right next to I-80 or close enough. Gotta check out GC1BJ4J. It is one of the last few remaining Drive-ins around. It is right off the Brookville exit. The other is just a short little drive from I-80. It is right in my yard, and the only reason why I suggest it is that I like to meet new people, especially cachers. It is GC1D4YP. I know of more, but they are a little further drive and dont know how far from I-80 you are willing to go.

Oh Tsun - I'm drooling at those pictures. I so cannot wait to get there!

Ok for the real post -

Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado is off the beaten path and a NP that not many know about. When we travel by car (which we do alot) we scour each state's map to see what might be different & interesting.

Sand Dunes was one of those places. It's a fantastic park you can experience fully in just one day, and its a place you will never forget! We went there last year on our return trip from Sequoia & King's Canyon NPs. Sand Dunes is worth the trip!

You can climb the tallest sand dunes in North America that are nestled at the base of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. Its a very user friendly park. Bring a bathing suit & good water shoes & hiking shoes as well.

Here's a Virtual cache and an Earthcache, that could help you earn an Earthcache Pin.

A Day at the Beach

Got Your Buggy?

We climbed fairly high but the lightening in these clouds - while awesome - was too much of a risk for us with the kids to keep going. But we had a blast!

cad71e18-6972-483a-8e51-969308c2afdb.jpg

a15468a5-3f53-40bd-8356-34ffebc23392.jpg

If you can afford to get muddy with stinking ooze, goo, and a memorable experience, then I highly recommend:

GCJ7VH - "The Bloated Festering Head of My First Victim " .

And then, further south, say down in Portland, Oregon :

GCW6EM "DR. Who" by goblindust (Or actually any of his since he is a pretty clever cacher).

Where ever you decide, I know you'll have fun.

Wow :) I'm getting so excited (I've been giddy for a few days ~ since I started researching basically) I have no idea how I'm going to get through the next couple of weeks at work :blink:

Tsun, those pictures are breathtaking; you do live in paradise :D

Thank you guys for all the suggestions :unsure:

(that joker polskikrol is my boyfriend, I sent him a link to the thread :lol: )

My suggestion for the trip back, is to stop at Arches National Park in Southeast Utah, just South of I-70 near Moab. In particularly, Delicate Arch (GCJG49 and GC177KB) Then as you head on East through Colorado, stop at the great divide, and stand on top of the world. (GC1DBA a short walk at 12,000 feet).

sorry i can`t help you whit this because i`m from the Netherlands but i hope you have a wonderful trip.

i`m a little glad that you post it here because this way i can see a lot of beautiful picture`s....... :D

now i wish that i could travel whit you. :D

If you make it to Vancouver, a "must see" is Vancouver Island and the city of Victoria!! There's an awesome cache series there called Victoria Brewpubs and offers a wonderful tour of the city (and pubs!) On a side note, Landsharkz - the geocoin and geocaching company - is apparently there, as well.

Sounds like so much fun!

:D

I'm sure this one is on your agenda if you are going the way I think you are. Another not oft mentioned or visited park but one of amazing beauty. We found it on the map one year and were curious so we visited. We've been back several times over the years and every visit shows us something new, including a really great hike along the rocks that you can only reach by a wooden ladder nailed into the formation.

Badlands National Park located in SD. Lots of history both of man & geology and its located right on the way to Mt. Rushmore. Not a park to be missed. Best times for pictures is early morning or late evening. It gets hot so bring plenty of water. And then visit Interior, SD for the best fry bread around. Yeah the place looks like a hole-in-the-wall but that is part of the charm. And don't miss the prairie dog town on the way in.

And you absolutely cannot miss the town of Wall & Wall Drug. Some great history there, crazy fun shopping and actually really good food. I think coffee is still a nickel a cup. Its a place you have to experience and its all part of the Badlands.

Couple caches for ya including another Earthcache.

Badlands Cache

Buffalo Pie - Badlands National Park

Mr Green II

Heck Table II

b7a2684b-69bb-4da7-9658-fbc37a2c79db.jpg

248a0caa-fcdd-4069-b65f-8e748b74d282.jpg

a2f51e54-7a22-4a1c-8507-c78fcddd39d5.jpg

493e02a2-6dd7-4692-a8c1-52a5752f0a6f.jpg

I'm going to make two very general recommendations. Since I have taken long road trips in both manners(heavy duty planning, and lazy days) I will say that the Strictly planned trip can sometimes end up being very stressful. My suggestions are:

1. Leave some extra time to just take it easy, and do things like discovering the nice little local coffee/ice cream shop/restaurant and things like that.

2. Consider the possibility of Attending an Event if you see one along your route, and if you don't see one but you can nail down a time and place where you're sure to be, consider hosting your own. Just a simple pizza/coffee/icecream type gathering with local cachers can leave you with great memories and some more friends too. I've done this both ways, Attending Events along the way, and also hosted some of my own.

Let me know if you want some ideas on how to do that.

Well if you make it to Yosemite NP, you will want to sneek out the back door and visit Bodie State Historic Park. (GC1E38), it is a real ghost town, not a tourist ghost town. While driving from Yosemite to Bodie you must stop to eat at the Whoa Nellie Deli (GCPG70), it is a world class restaurant in a Mobile gas station. Have a wonderful trip and I am sure you will see many places you will want to visit again.

Hey! What about Nicely's(greasy spoon?) and Latte' Da(Espresso)??

While heading south from Vancouver to California, I suggest a fairly quick detour (30 minutes east of Portland, Oregon) to Crown Point:

040530-199..jpg

With stunning views of the Columbia River Gorge. You can easily grab GC1CJDC (and nearby Benchmarks) and Shop99er's Earth Cache GC19NTV.

Don't forget a stop to nearby majestic Multnomah Falls:

MultnomahFalls.jpg

There you will find GCKXV7 and Earth Cache GC14VG2. Be sure to bring a sweatshirt - it gets cold up there!

I hope you enjoy your vacation. It sounds very fun and very ambitious!! :rolleyes:

[edit to add] thanks for the cointest!

Or you could continue east through the Columbia River Gorge after visiting these and then turn right on US97 to go visit a few things on the back roads(like the Living MemorialSculpture garden)

Wow, some incredible suggestions.... one of these days we're hoping to head from the Lake Tahoe area up to Portland, Oregon and thereabouts. I've seen some great suggestions that we can try to incorporate into our trip.

Some of my favorite places in California have already been mentioned... Lake Tahoe, Yosemite top the list, as well as Big Sur (perhaps a bit too far south).

If you happen as far south as San Francisco, a must do cache is GCGH5J, Columba. I had it on my "to do" list for a couple of years and it was well worth the 7 hour roundtrip drive we recently took just for the one cache!

If you get as far south into CA as SF or even Lake Tahoe, give a holler. We're halfway between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, in the gold country foothills.

I noticed that you said you two will try to squeeze in as many National Parks....you may want to purchase (about $10) the passport stamp book. This little book has places to collect stamps (think like a postage cancellation circle type stamp) for all of the parks and national areas.

Here's a link to the wiki that tells more.

Passportstamp.jpg

Have fun on your trip!

You have to visit "America's Hometown" in Hannibal, MO. This is the home of renowned American writer Mark Twain. Known for the classics "The adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "Huck Finn". While here stop at a cache on Lovers Leap (GC141TY) for a majestic view of the Mississippi and stop in a beatiful city park called Riverview. Many caches to seek in this park and in town. This place is a nice place to just slow down for a day.

While passing through Colorado, you should stop in Estes Park. It's a really awesome town, right on the edge of Rocky Mountain National Park, which is perfect if you are planning on seeing national parks. GCJVET is an awesome cache, up on a hill, just a short walk from an overlook where you can see downtown Estes Park and Lake Estes. Plus you should check out the Stanley Hotel, and stay in the room where Stephen King got the idea for The Shining!

Hi again! Well, I do not know if it will be on your road, or if it is close or far from you, or even if you have visited the place, but there is a place I would love to go too, so I believe it is a "must see"

I am talking about Grand canyon and Colorado river!

img_0065.jpg

gc_6.jpg

I think the grand canyon sky walk is ready, so you can have a great experiense with that!

hualapai_02_550x367.jpg

321skywalk550x367.jpg

Thought I'd make one last push for Glacier National Park, lol.

If you can afford it (at least 1 night), try and stay at the Grouse Mountain Lodge, it's in Whitefish, minutes from Glacier NP. Minimum, just go inside and look around :laughing:

glacier_national_park.jpg

02345sm.jpg

Going-to-the-Sun Road just opened about 2 weeks ago but here is a pic of June 6th, 2008 where they are still plowing the road :unsure:

videoimage.jpg

I'm not really entering your contest, I just want you to see GNP :laughing:

I put together a list of your suggestions that we may be able to get to.. Some are further out of the way than others but time permitting we'll change the route b/c they look good!

Many of these we're on the list already :laughing: I was actually looking at the gallery for one of these a few days before it was posted, and it solidified our plan to go to that park (several hundred miles out of the way) B)

Some I had no idea about and am grateful for the tip :D and of course I KNEW there would be things I knew about but completely forgot to put on our list!

But I'm not saying anything more specific than that for now :) I can see you all are going to make this a really difficult choice for me :)B) THANK YOU!!! and thank you for all the good wishes :D

So without further ado.. The list:

Project Ape Cache (Tschakko)

Groundspeak headquarters (Tschakko)

Crown Point (ThePetersTrio)

Multnomah Falls (ThePetersTrio)

The Original Stash Plaque (jcar)

Ebey Bluffs (jcar)

Lake Tahoe/ Womack's (C A Royal Flush)

Going-to-the Sun-Road, Glacier NP (Tsun)

Grouse Mountain Lodge (Tsun)

Valley of Ten Peaks (gardengorilla)

Bodie State Historic Park GC1E38 (fossillady)

Whoa Nellie Deli GCPG70 (fossillady)

Limestone Hoodoos in Banff (SuperNewbiePro)

Great Sand Dunes National Park A Day at the Beach (GPX Navigators)

The Bloated Festering Head of My First Victim (fairyhoney)

DR. Who (fairyhoney)

The Continental Divide (cache_in_hand)

Victoria Brewpubs (Leaky Spoon)

Badlands National Park Badlands Cache Buffalo Pie - Badlands National Park Mr Green II Heck Table II (GPX Navigators)

Interior, SD for the best fry bread around (GPX Navigators)

Wall Drug (GPX Navigators)

Carhenge - Sacred Tourist Trap (Toojin)

Aladin Tipple Cache (Toojin)

Columba (chancerider)

The Stanley Hotel (xboxcrazy33)

The Ultimate Smiley in Iowa (surteb)

edit to add: Arches National Park/Delicate Arch (cache in hand) ~ We weren't planning on passing by here, but I think our route is changing

When I print the list out, I'll remove the names to keep it fair :) Some people posted more than 2 things, but I'll let it pass B) We're planning on camping most of the way but I may be able to convince PK to check out the hotel suggestions, so we can shower and sleep in a real bed :)

I'm sooooo excited. Thank you guys for all of your help and wishes :) It really is going to be a tough decision.

Edited by ThirstyMick

Carla,

I'm so envious! I hope you have a great time and take lots of pictures!

I'd be happy to pass along my cell phone number, so when/if you're in MT you need some help/questions/etc., you have someone to call. Just drop me an email.

Day dreaming right now of where I could take off to..... :laughing:

Sounds like a wonderful trip!!

We'll be right behind you at GNP at the end of next month. I so cannot wait. That park has been on our radar for the longest time and somehow we found a way to make it work this year.

You are going to have so much fun and see so many amazing things. Keep a small notebook with you so you can jot down the day's activities. It will help with sorting your pictures later and keep your memories clear. And of course caching helps with that too. LOL.

Have a blast! :laughing:

I know it's too late for the cointest but if you're going to be in the Lake Tahoe area, I highly recommended Elev. 6555 (GCVRDA). Check out the photo gallery for the views you'll be able to take in. Have fun!

I've been putting together a rough schedule and am getting so overwhelmed by how little time 3 weeks is! Right now, Tahoe is in the plan, but it's toward the end of the trip so we might just end up needing to go straight home!

Carla,

I'm so envious! I hope you have a great time and take lots of pictures!

I'd be happy to pass along my cell phone number, so when/if you're in MT you need some help/questions/etc., you have someone to call. Just drop me an email.

Day dreaming right now of where I could take off to..... :laughing:

Sent you an email :)

When we get back I'll probably post a link (if that's okay with the mods) to a photogallery :)

I'm sooo excited! But there's sooo much left to do B)

Sounds like a wonderful trip!!

We'll be right behind you at GNP at the end of next month. I so cannot wait. That park has been on our radar for the longest time and somehow we found a way to make it work this year.

You are going to have so much fun and see so many amazing things. Keep a small notebook with you so you can jot down the day's activities. It will help with sorting your pictures later and keep your memories clear. And of course caching helps with that too. LOL.

Have a blast! :)

A notebook is a good idea :laughing: Thanks!!