What tools do what?

I like tools and have a few. Nothing too fancy although I do have a mitre saw. :D But I'm not all that knowledgeable about what kinds of workshop tools do what. I see lots of homemade caches but have no clue what types of tools are used to make them. I have my own ideas for creating things but most likely I do not have the tools. Can anyone tell me what they use and if the tools are expensive?

1) What kind of tool do you use to drill big holes into something? (For instance, hollow out a tree branch or stick)

2) What kind of tool do you use to hollow out something metal like a big metal bolt? Some type of machinest tools?

3) What kind of tool do you use to cut shapes in wood...like say to give arounded end to a plank?

4) What kind of tool do you use to make larger hollows (say in a log for instance). [Chisel and mallet?]

5) What tool would best cut through stiff plastic? Some type of saw?

6) What other tools do you find useful for making your own cache containers? Dremels?

I can't afford any fancy stuff so more than likely these things are out my grasp. I'm sure there are tools that I've never heard of that do all kinds of interesting things .

I thought if I at least have an idea of tools people are using, I could look for them at yard sales or Craig's list or something.

1) What kind of tool do you use to drill big holes into something? (For instance, hollow out a tree branch or stick) A drill

2) What kind of tool do you use to hollow out something metal like a big metal bolt? Some type of machinest tools? A drill with a special bit for metal

3) What kind of tool do you use to cut shapes in wood...like say to give arounded end to a plank? Probably a jigsaw and a file

4) What kind of tool do you use to make larger hollows (say in a log for instance). [Chisel and mallet?]

I used a chainsaw for this

5) What tool would best cut through stiff plastic? Some type of saw? sheet metal shears may work for this

6) What other tools do you find useful for making your own cache containers? Dremels? don't know, never bothered with all the great, cheap containers that are available

A comment: Of course you would be drilling, cutting and sawing your own items because doing this to structures, trees or anything else in parks would not be allowed under the guidelines

I like tools and have a few. Nothing too fancy although I do have a mitre saw. :D But I'm not all that knowledgeable about what kinds of workshop tools do what. I see lots of homemade caches but have no clue what types of tools are used to make them. I have my own ideas for creating things but most likely I do not have the tools. Can anyone tell me what they use and if the tools are expensive?

1) What kind of tool do you use to drill big holes into something? (For instance, hollow out a tree branch or stick)

2) What kind of tool do you use to hollow out something metal like a big metal bolt? Some type of machinest tools?

3) What kind of tool do you use to cut shapes in wood...like say to give arounded end to a plank?

6) What other tools do you find useful for making your own cache containers? Dremels?

I can't afford any fancy stuff so more than likely these things are out my grasp. I'm sure there are tools that I've never heard of that do all kinds of interesting things .

I thought if I at least have an idea of tools people are using, I could look for them at yard sales or Craig's list or something.

1. Not really that easy to do. Try cluing bark to a PVC pipe instead. I've seen these hides and they can be very effective.

2. A CNC lathe would be nice...

3. A router

4. Router or chain saw

5. Yup, a band saw would be best.

6. Dremels are nice. Any type of wood shop equipment or machining tools.

None of the tools suggested are harmless to use. Especially under #5. Be sure to know what you are doing before you attempt to run tools you are not familiar with.

Good luck

Before you do a bunch of detailed machine work spend an hour or so checking-out the inventory in a good (old-fashioned) hardware store - not the "big-box" guys - and look at what is readily available with an eye toward what would make a good cache. You'd be amazed at the creative containers you can make from existing hardware - for example, I've seen great ones from hollow bolts and other unusual hardware, various electrical boxes (before slamming me, I'm not condoning them, just saying I've found them), magnetic strips, and so on.

1) What kind of tool do you use to drill big holes into something? (For instance, hollow out a tree branch or stick) A drill

I own a drill....I believe it's called a 3/8ths drill. It would not make a big hole. :D So I assume there is another type of drill that makes larger holes. If my drill made big holes...I wouldn't have to ask this question.

2) What kind of tool do you use to hollow out something metal like a big metal bolt? Some type of machinest tools? A drill with a special bit for metal

Again...a regular 3/8ths drill? I have metal bits but the largest one wouldn't hollow a bolt so I assume there is another type of tool to do that.

I'm not saying I'm going to make these types of containers. I just want to know how some of these containers are made so I can apply that to my own ideas.

1. A simple drill with a wood bit would do the trick here!

2. To attempt this with a drill would probably result in blood loss! Unless you was using a very heavy duty drill press. I would strongly recommend a metal lathe.

You'll want to use a spade bit or a forstner bit for a hole larger than the 3/8" chuck on your drill.

This is a tough one. Most standard drill bits today can drill into steel or iron, although they may get a bit overheated and dull. Make sure that the bold is fastened down VERY well, because if the drill bit jams, you don't want a flying bolt to hit you. Also WEAR EYE PROTECTION. Apply motor oil as your drilling.

3) What kind of tool do you use to cut shapes in wood...like say to give a rounded end to a plank?

Not quite sure what you're asking here, but I think that you'd be talking about a simple coping saw as a hand tool, or either a jigsaw or bandsaw as a power tool

Drill as much out as you can, using the spade bit mentioned in #1. Then it becomes a much simpler matter of using a sharp wood chisel and mallet to remove the excess.

There are many kinds of plastic, but the number one rule is to go slow enough that everything stays cool. If the saw heats up, the plastic will melt and gum up and you'll have problems. Depending on what you're doing, a hacksaw, coping saw, or even a simple cross-cut handsaw will do.

You know, I bought a Dremel tool many years ago, thinking that I'd be using it for everything. I use it for almost nothing.

Here's a link that should help with drill bits:

Edited by knowschad

In my shop I have a bandsaw, drill press, mitresaw, table saw, grinder and several woodworking clamps, vises and CHISELS.

Go to your local HARDWARE STORE, not LOWES or HomeDepot, but your small town hardware store and just start looking.

I use what we call "paddle bits" to drill larger diameter holes in wood. The match safes I am using are 1-1/8" round and I use a 1-1/8" paddle bit to drill those holes.

If I need to square up a hole, I use the chisels.

I've been accumulating tools since I was in high school, but you can make a nice workshop in short order.

I own a drill....I believe it's called a 3/8ths drill. It would not make a big hole. :) So I assume there is another type of drill that makes larger holes. If my drill made big holes...I wouldn't have to ask this question.

Again...a regular 3/8ths drill? I have metal bits but the largest one wouldn't hollow a bolt so I assume there is another type of tool to do that.

I'm not saying I'm going to make these types of containers. I just want to know how some of these containers are made so I can apply that to my own ideas.

You could use a forstner bit in your 3/8 drill.

Forstner bits are available in a wide array of diameters typically ranging from 1/4 inch up to over 3 inches. Like other drill bits, they are often sold in sets with an array of sizes. Here's what they look like.

forstner-bit.jpg

I own a drill....I believe it's called a 3/8ths drill. It would not make a big hole. blink.gif So I assume there is another type of drill that makes larger holes. If my drill made big holes...I wouldn't have to ask this question.

Use a regular drill with a paddle bit (aka flat boring bit).

They look like this:

48-27-1001.gif

Edited by briansnat

While it 'could' be done using a hand drill with spade or forstner bits, you'd have a very difficult time on a "big" hole with a 3/8 drill (underpowered). A better option would be a 1/2 drill press. The best option would be a lathe.

This operation would be very impractical with your 3/8 drill, no matter how you go about it. You'll never get straight and centered with a hand drill. A drill press will get you straight, even if not perfectly centered. A lathe is the proper tool for this task. When boring solid metal with a drill bit, you must start by drilling a 1/4" hole before you use any larger sized bit. This relieves the central web on the larger bit, allowing the outer cutting surfaces to do the work. The point of larger bits do not cut very well, if at all.

This would be a router, if I get what you're talking about. A good router is an invaluable wood working tool. What it can do for you is only limited by how much money you have to buy bits and guides for it.

4) What kind of tool do you use to make larger hollows (say in a log for instance).

Any number of cutting tools could be used here, including your chisel & mallet method (plan on taking a long time). Chain saws, circular saws, grinder with a cutting/shaping wheel, drills, explosives... you name it.

Depending on the shape of this piece of plastic, you would probably get the most control out of a fine-toothed hand saw or even a hack saw. Anything that will cut metal will cut plastic. While wood cutting tools will also cut plastic, the finish will be very rough and you'll have less control over the cut due to how aggressive the wood cutting teeth are.

Dremel tools are highly overrated. They are pretty good at cleaning and polishing small parts, but are rather difficult when it comes to cutting and shaping. It takes a lot of practice and experience to get decent results with a Dremel tool.

I haven't built my own cache yet, but I'm going to soon. I'm working over a few designs based on some of the stuff I've seen available through the cache shops online.

Depends on the size hole you want, drill bit for small, spade bits for bigger. Large holes can be done by drawing out a circle on the surface, and drilling a series of holes around it to depth. Then, cut between the holes and clean out.

Drill press is best, or put object in a vice and drill.

jigsaw

chain saw is good, beware of kickback.

depends on thickness. A sheet to quarter inch, score along a straight edge with a utility knife, and bend to break. Jigsaw or circular saw for thicker, use a fine tooth blade.

6) What other tools do you find useful for making your own cache containers?

Regular household tools good for most jobs.

Note: for many plastics and thin metals, such as siding panels, a medium circular saw blade mounted to spin backward works will. AND ALWAYS USE EYE PROTECTION WHEN USING A SAW

Edited by Trucker Lee

Home Depot is one of the big-box hardware retailers across the country that offer free tutorials both online and in their stores.

See http://www.homedepotclinics.com/ for numerous online clinics. Watch what tools they use for what jobs and how they use them.

Contact your local Lowes or Home Depot store for free clinics they have in their stores weekly.

Google "DIY" for all sorts of Do It Yourself project info... even if the project isn't what you want to do you can watch the many ways in which tools are used, and quickly get an idea which tool does what job.