Cache Along a Route to Pocket Query Not Working

ped-l-pwrd

works with no problem using Apple Safari on the PC

let me take that back... it works but seems to disregard the distance from route looks to be finding caches up to 5 miles away.. which if your route goes thru a major cache area, it wipe out the 500 caches before the route is done.

on a seperate note, it also comes back with over 700 caches... so I am assuming the 500 limit is not working?35jc9xy.jpg

Ok -- interesting details, but your explanation is a bit above my ability to understand... Is there something I can do myself, as an average IE user, to get around the snafu? Or will the Groundspeak folks have to make the fix on the website?

Unfortunately, no. The page will only generate a route if it is created by the geocaching.com server, and that page as it is created by the server fails to be rendered properly by IE. Average users who use IE, which is to say the vast majority of people, are just out of luck until the people who can do something about it decide to do something about it. Based on my testing, that something amounts to changing "v=2.x" to "v=2.118" on a few pages until Google and IE start playing nice again or geocaching.com puts the map link in the body element of its HTML.

Thanks, Seth. With all the other suggestions about using Firefox, I guess I'll have to give that a shot in the next day or two.

I'll download it on my kids' computer, in case it kills something. :laughing:

I downloaded and installed Firefox and didn't have any problems. During the install, it will ask you if you want to set Firefox as your default browser. Since I didn't have any experience with Firefox, I clicked "No". Firefox may indeed be a better browser than IE7, but I've been using IE for a very long time and know my way around it quite well; I don't know Firefox at all, yet. Firefox will also give you the option to copy your favorites (bookmarks in Firefox) over to the Firefox program. I would suggest doing that, it will give you the opportunity to play around with Firefox a little more.

On another note, I'm surprised how few people have come to this forum to complain about the inability to do pocket queries along a route. Either very few people use this option, or few people come over to this forum when they have a problem. With so few complaints, it looks like a fix will be slow coming and I guess I'm still not sure where the problem lies (IE, Google Earth or Geocaching.com).

Edited by Sierra Rat

[...]

On another note, I'm surprised how few people have come to this forum to complain about the inability to do pocket queries along a route. Either very few people use this option, or few people come over to this forum when they have a problem. With so few complaints, it looks like a fix will be slow coming and I guess I'm still not sure where the problem lies (IE, Google Earth or Geocaching.com).

I too have this problem, but I didn't complain about it. I read the forum, concluded that an answer to the IE problem was not going to come. Yet. In my experience, sites such as this often adress problems, but not as fast as the users could wish. I think it is a problem with the code on Groundspeak.com vs an update to IE (probably)

I totally sympathize with those that are anxious about switching to Firefox, since IE is (sadly) familiar ground.

But, as stated in a previous post, you can take steps to keep full IE functionality and still have firefox for Route query use. I must say, though, that I myself have firefox very agreeable to work with.

-Raekon

Ok, now what??? :laughing: I tried uploading three KML files (newly created) from google earth into pocket query along a route and keep getting a "your request has resulted in an error." This is while using the Firefox browser! Have any of you tired generating new route pocket queries verses running pocket queries with existing KML files???? :laughing:

I just ran 5 route queries as well (7:15 PM Pacific time, 24 Jul)... Got a few error messages, but still managed to get the queries through on IE7.

Groundspeak, if you've fixed the problem, thanks!

If it was a fluke, then I thank the vagaries of IE7 for their momentary willingness to cooperate in advance of my vacation.

At any rate, I'm still going to try Firefox...

[Am I allowed to say that, even though I live in NW Washington??? :D ]

It is a couple of weeks later, but I can't get a new cache along a route to run. The kml file uploads and saves and the route displays. But when I try to run the pocket query, I get the following error, "You requested has resulted in an error." I know the semantics are off, but that is what it says. Fortunately I have many previous routes saved and one of them overlaps this one enough that I can use the old one.

on edit: I figured it out. I had reached the max number of queries I am allowed with a premium account. When I tried to created a new regular query I got a better error message that clued me in to the problem. Strange that there is a limit like that as storage is so vast and inexpensive these days. But now I know.

Edited by Cheminer Will