Cache Along a Route to Pocket Query Not Working

ped-l-pwrd

I've tried this both with a route I created in Google Earth, and, with public routes (including the route of the day). When I click on 'Create Pocket Query' IE displays a message box " Internet Explorer can not open the Internet site http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/urquery.a...70-2e94bca57d23. Operation aborted" on hitting "ok" the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage..." page.

I'd like to be able to create such a query for a road trip I'm taking Friday. Help please.

It worked for me. Must have been fixed?

BTW, I use Firefox, not IE.

Thanks - I just tried in Firefox and it works!

Also verified IE still has the same problem.

Yup! Same here. Must be the latest IE patch from M$

FWIW, I'm using Firefox and cannot upload a .kml file I created yesterday in Google Earth. It's a very short one, but after clicking the "upload" button get a general error screen from the site. This has been happening since yesterday at least, and unfortunately, my vacation is this weekend....

OK, well this is all well and good but what do you do if you don't have firefox and don't want to download ANOTHER!!!! :D program to get around this kind of stuff!

Using Firefox may solve a lot of problems, in fact...

I am having the same problems with the pocket queries in caches along a route. I have IE also. Tried yesterday and again this evening to do a pocket query. Got an error message...any ideas on what I can do? I 've never used firefox browser....sounds like it might be better??

I am so thankful for these forums! I'm trying to run my very first cache along a route... and I got the same error message too. I was using IE. I jumped on over to FireFox... I already had it on my PC. Lo and behold! Pocket Query scheduled no problemo.

So must be an IE thing. It never would have occurred to me that it was a browser issue. :rolleyes:

Thanks much!

We are leaving this weekend and I was hoping to use this also. I have tried all day and it does not work. I hope they fix it soon. This is the first time that I used find along a route and I thought I was doing something wrong. I even created a ticket to find out what was wrong and I got an email in return with a link to check on the status or further communicate; however, when I click on the link it states that I don't have access and I have to sign in (problem: no place to sign in). I feel like I am going in circles. It was sort of a relief to see others were having the same problem. :rolleyes:

I am having the same problem and I am four states from home on vacation. I only lost the ability to create one route for yesterday so it was not a huge issue. I used Firefox this morning and it worked fine. I hate it when things like this happen. Hopefully M$ will get it fixed.

I have uploaded a Google Earth file and am trying to create caches along a route. However, when I click on "Create Pocket Query", I get an error message that says:

"Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site XXX.

Operation aborted."

I have tried the process with a previously uploaded Google Earth file that I know I have (in the past) created a PQ from. I get the same result.

Is this something that can be looked at (quickly) as we have to leave for a trip in a few hours and I need the route info.

Thank you,

-TwoCs-

As I posted on a different thread elsewhere: Is it possible to get these things working with Internet Explorer, otherwise known as the browser 90% of people use?

I think everybody who uses IE and has paid for a Premium membership ought to start demanding credits or refunds. Or geocaching.com ought to publish that it is only compatible with a Firefox browser and that's it. PDFs are broken. Caching along a route is broken. What are the benefits of Premimum membership again?

I will be taking a short trip through unexplored territory tomorrow and I thought it would be fun to try the Caching along a route option. Only it doesn't work.

Would like to hear from a moderator or geocaching.com that you are aware of the problem and working with IE to correct it, Please.

Steps from the sticky section of this forum:

1. Works on Firefox 3.0.1

2. responding here

3. adding here

4. My OS, Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600

IE v7.0.5730.11

AOL v 9.1 rev 4334.34

Edited by cosninocanines

I got the error so I came here to find out if there was an issue - YUP - the IE frog has croaked.

Downloaded FIREFOX and what do you know - IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recommend this to anyone having troubles.

Edited by gvsu4msu

I've tried this both with a route I created in Google Earth, and, with public routes (including the route of the day). When I click on 'Create Pocket Query' IE displays a message box " Internet Explorer can not open the Internet site http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/urquery.a...70-2e94bca57d23. Operation aborted" on hitting "ok" the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage..." page.

I'd like to be able to create such a query for a road trip I'm taking Friday. Help please.

I used to get that error. I downloaded the newest version of IE with all updates and the error went away.

I used to get that error. I downloaded the newest version of IE with all updates and the error went away.

So, can this be narrowed down as an IE 6 issue?

That's what I have, and it doesn't work.

Can everyone else with the problem pipe up with what version of IE they're using.

Moving to Opera, Firefox, etc are a non starter for me. It has to be IE. I use my work computer a lot, and they don't allow anything but IE to be installed.

So, can this be narrowed down as an IE 6 issue?

That's what I have, and it doesn't work.

Can everyone else with the problem pipe up with what version of IE they're using.

Moving to Opera, Firefox, etc are a non starter for me. It has to be IE. I use my work computer a lot, and they don't allow anything but IE to be installed.

It doesn't work in IE 7 either.

I'm having the same problem, too. Been over a week since I could do a route query! Can't do it at work or at home, so it's not VPN, network, or specific computer-caused, as near as I can tell, since I used different computers on different networks, in and out of VPN.

Also tried via IE 6 and IE7 and got the exact same error...

Does anyone know what the source of the problem is, or when it will be fixed?

Thank you for the detailed reports, everyone. We are aware of this issue with IE and plan to have it sorted out as soon as possible. If it isn't too much trouble you may want to download a copy of Firefox in the meantime so you don't miss out on your routes.

I realize some of you are unwilling to switch browsers, even temporarily, for good reason so we'll try to work fast. Until then I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you for the detailed reports, everyone. We are aware of this issue with IE and plan to have it sorted out as soon as possible. If it isn't too much trouble you may want to download a copy of Firefox in the meantime so you don't miss out on your routes.

I realize some of you are unwilling to switch browsers, even temporarily, for good reason so we'll try to work fast. Until then I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Good Show! We'll be waiting with a worm on our tongue, (baited breath). Thxs for the reply

Microsoft Knowledge Base article id 927917 seems to match the symptoms, but I couldn't say for sure whether that's the problem here. If it is, Microsoft says that it affects IE 5.5, 6.0 and 7. Even though it is identified as an IE bug, the only suggestions are to recode apps in the manners suggested. There does not seem to be a fix, or any suggestion that one is coming. :unsure:

Thanks for the fast response! Glad you folks are already on this. Looking forward to the fix.

Still WORKS with Mozilla Firefox!

You might as well say it works for 1 out of 10 people. You'd be saying the same thing.

To those who want to fix the problem and not just ignore it (and reality), this post links the same KB article mentioned above:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost....75&SiteID=1

It is document.body.scrollLeft where body is undefined that is causing the problem, at least according to my debugger, which does look like the problem in the KB article.

Should body be defined? Yeah, probably, but oh well, it's not. Does it work in Firefox? Probably not. The part that I think is failing probably isn't supported by Firefox.

The real problem appears to be version 2.119 of the Google Maps API existing in the header:

<script src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=2.x&key=ABQIAAAAJgGMKHyR9XoIcK-3DmCRHBRO4G3HCJ4w_V4wt439o4UygXv9mhSzv2kAJjrfphjN0BPFWxW5Tx2Ljw" type="text/javascript"></script>

If I change to v=2.118, no problem, header or body. If I put the above tag in the body, no problem. But when the tag above exists in the header, up pops the error.

See the discussion here:

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps...9af0cd79b96ec8d

Still WORKS with Mozilla Firefox!

You might as well say it works for 1 out of 10 people. You'd be saying the same thing.

To those who want to fix the problem and not just ignore it (and reality), this post links the same KB article mentioned above:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost....75&SiteID=1

It is document.body.scrollLeft where body is undefined that is causing the problem, at least according to my debugger, which does look like the problem in the KB article.

Should body be defined? Yeah, probably, but oh well, it's not. Does it work in Firefox? Probably not. The part that I think is failing probably isn't supported by Firefox.

The real problem appears to be version 2.119 of the Google Maps API existing in the header:

<script src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=2.x&key=ABQIAAAAJgGMKHyR9XoIcK-3DmCRHBRO4G3HCJ4w_V4wt439o4UygXv9mhSzv2kAJjrfphjN0BPFWxW5Tx2Ljw" type="text/javascript"></script>

If I change to v=2.118, no problem, header or body. If I put the above tag in the body, no problem. But when the tag above exists in the header, up pops the error.

See the discussion here:

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps...9af0cd79b96ec8d

Ok -- interesting details, but your explanation is a bit above my ability to understand... Is there something I can do myself, as an average IE user, to get around the snafu? Or will the Groundspeak folks have to make the fix on the website?

Ok -- interesting details, but your explanation is a bit above my ability to understand... Is there something I can do myself, as an average IE user, to get around the snafu? Or will the Groundspeak folks have to make the fix on the website?

Use IE to Google FireFox. Download and install the free FireFox web browser. Use FireFox for your web browser.

Life will be better.

Unfortunately, no. The page will only generate a route if it is created by the geocaching.com server, and that page as it is created by the server fails to be rendered properly by IE. Average users who use IE, which is to say the vast majority of people, are just out of luck until the people who can do something about it decide to do something about it. Based on my testing, that something amounts to changing "v=2.x" to "v=2.118" on a few pages until Google and IE start playing nice again or geocaching.com puts the map link in the body element of its HTML.