Colorado 300

OK who can tell me what I am missing. From reading various threads it seems that one should be able to find a cache with the compass turned off. Is this right or wrong? When I turn my compass off and go into Geocaching mode nothing moves on my screen (arrow or cache line). I know I am missing something very simple here but I am not sure what it is. As you can tell I am fairly new at this and the Colorado 300 is my first GPS which I bought primarily for Geocaching. Can anyone straighten me out?

OK is that the simple part I am missing? You have to move. Yes they do. But it does not seem to be as responsive (ie slower refesh rate?) as when the compass is turned on. Is this normal? With the compass on you don't have to move... Is this it?

OK is that the simple part I am missing? You have to move. Yes they do. But it does not seem to be as responsive (ie slower refesh rate?) as when the compass is turned on. Is this normal? With the compass on you don't have to move... Is this it?

Yes. With the compass off you are using the GPS to determine your direction of movement. If you aren't moving, the GPS doesn't detect any change in position so nothing will happen. The e-compass works differently it will move like a regular compass -- no need to move (actually it works better when you aren't moving!)

GO$Rs