Pre-Sale

mouse88621

Could someone please explain to me how pre-sale works. Like say I design a coin and I want 250 of them made and I choose pre-sale. Does that mean the website sells say 100 of them, deducts that money from my total, and I pay for and get the other 150 in the mail? Or does it mean they sell my coin and I still get 250 of them to sell on my own? Or maybe I'm just totally off base here. Thanks in advance for the help.

Could someone please explain to me how pre-sale works. Like say I design a coin and I want 250 of them made and I choose pre-sale. Does that mean the website sells say 100 of them, deducts that money from my total, and I pay for and get the other 150 in the mail? Or does it mean they sell my coin and I still get 250 of them to sell on my own? Or maybe I'm just totally off base here. Thanks in advance for the help.

I would suggest you contact the different companies directly that offer that service as their policies will probably vary from vendor to vendor.

Pre-sales are normally a sale for a coin that has not been made, and will be delivered at a later date. Normally the delivery date is 30-45 days after the end of the pre-sales. This is normally done when an individual does not have the money to fund the project outright.

If you are having 250 made, that is all they will make. If you have them do the pre-sale for you, you will have to work out arangements with them.

Depending on the mint you work with, so will offer to do the coin and sell it through their site and give you some coins, but they keep the rest of the profit. I'm not sure how that works really and someone that has done that would have to inform us.

I don't know if this helps, but the way you worded it I tried my best.

Please ask more questions.

maldar

A pre-sale can be done a number of ways:

Normally a pre-sale is offered by a vendor (someone who sells geocoins be it a company or individual). The vendor will showcase either the mint artwork or sample pictures of the coins (people have done it both ways). You as a customer would buy based on what you see (artwork/sample coin). A pre-sale lasts a certain amount of time and when the pre-sale is over, the vendor than places the order with the mint in China. As a customer you then wait for the coins to be made, shipped to the vendor and finally shipped to you. The period of time you have to wait can vary due to a number of factors.

If you wanted your own coin made each vendor from the approved list in the pinned threads above, has different options for you and you would have to contact each one to find out their policy.

You have several options if you want a coin designed:

1. You can give your design to one of the approved vendors and they will mint your coin for you (however many you want). You pay for the coin and they ship to you and you can run the sale of your coins however you see fit.

2. You don't have enough $$$ to buy a bunch of coins, so you give your design to one of the approved vendors and they work on your behalf (if they decide they want to mint your design). If they "pick up" your design, they normally give you a percentage of coins and sell the rest themselves, however they see fit. That is something you will have to discuss with the vendor yourself as each one does things differently. Many designs you see for sale on the vendor sites have been submitted by geocachers/graphic designers and most of them receive coins in lieu of monetary payment.

3. You can work directly with the mint and run sales/reservations/pre-sales, whatever.

Hope that helps a bit also :D

Pre-sale how does it work?

Not very well.

A pre-sale works by you selling the coin, then making it after and shipping it out to people. It often annoys people if there are delays. What you mention in your initial post is referred to as a split. Some vendors make your design, take a cut and sell them on their website and you buy the rest.

I have also seen some pre-sales where the quantity is yet to be determined

the seller will make a quantity of coins based on the number of pre-sales

such pre-sales often come with the condition "if I get enough orders for 250 coins, there will be an icon, otherwise not"

sometimes this is done via a "reservation" rather than a pre-sale

this way the maker can -

1. cancel the project if there is not enough interest

2. vary the price, depending on how many coins get made

(fewer made usually means higher unit cost - more made usually reduces the unit cost)

Not very well.

A pre-sale works by you selling the coin, then making it after and shipping it out to people. It often annoys people if there are delays. What you mention in your initial post is referred to as a split. Some vendors make your design, take a cut and sell them on their website and you buy the rest.

You beat me to it! my response when I read the title of the post..."they don't..." :blink:

:) pre sales.... be very afraid :unsure::D

Not very well.

You beat me to it! my response when I read the title of the post..."they don't..." :blink:

:) pre sales.... be very afraid :D:unsure:

LOL Thanks for the tip guys. Once you have it explained to you, the whole thing really does sound a little iffy, like for starters you don't have enough money for the project to begin with and then you have all kinds of people relying on you once those delays start rolling in. Yeah, definitely sounds like a bad idea.

I guess what I was referring to in my first post was specifically geared towards CoinsAndPins.com's pre-sale policy. It says use their pre-sale and you get free coins. So what I wanted to know was, do they sell some of your coins and that pays for the others that you get in the mail (which I was informed was a split), or do they take care of all of the order and you get unrelated free stuff? Does anyone know?