What to leave?

So if you run across a cache that has broken toys and trash in it, is it OK to just remove and throw out? I know my kids would be disappointed to find broken toys . . . I think I would just be tempted to take all the broken ones and throw in some new ones.

(Sorry about the blank answer - still learning the pages... :anibad: )

After what I found in several caches this week, I'd sure be interested in what other cachers have to say about removing items. I'm talking about the filthy broken trash here, not the 'what's junk to one may be treasure to another' stuff.

Edited by Wayoutinleftfield

(Sorry about the blank answer - still learning the pages... :anibad: )

After what I found in several caches this week, I'd sure be interested in what other cachers have to say about removing items. I'm talking about the filthy broken trash here, not the 'what's junk to one may be treasure to another' stuff.

As far as actual trash goes (empty pop bottles/cans, lump of paper pulp from a pile of business cards, etc) CITO it. My opinion. I'll leave something anyway, but I don't think you have to.

EDIT: Wow three pages! Never thought a simple question would get that many answers! Yay! Hope this helps more people :blink:

Edited by Silfron Mandotheneset

I recently bought some flower and vegetable seed packets. I am an avid gardener and thought maybe someone else might share my passion. So far I have not seen any seeds in any of the caches we have found.

I was going to ask if anybody thought this was a good idea as well.

Here in the UK i'm sure many seeds would suffer through frosty/frozen weather and i wondered if it was worth it.

I was also thinking about recipe's laminated to prevent damp.

I'm glad i found this thread, it have given a total newbie...(me), some very good ideas.

I have only found a few Caches so far, but struggled without a GPS....so..... my first ever GPS arrives this Tuesday. I'm going to collect some cheap 'stash' and zip-lock bags.

Do you guy's have any advice for a lone female cache hunter...?? How do you explain your activities in hedgerows etc...? ;)

I recently bought some flower and vegetable seed packets. I am an avid gardener and thought maybe someone else might share my passion. So far I have not seen any seeds in any of the caches we have found.

I was going to ask if anybody thought this was a good idea as well.

Here in the UK i'm sure many seeds would suffer through frosty/frozen weather and i wondered if it was worth it.

I was also thinking about recipe's laminated to prevent damp.

I'm glad i found this thread, it have given a total newbie...(me), some very good ideas.

I have only found a few Caches so far, but struggled without a GPS....so..... my first ever GPS arrives this Tuesday. I'm going to collect some cheap 'stash' and zip-lock bags.

Do you guy's have any advice for a lone female cache hunter...?? How do you explain your activities in hedgerows etc...? ;)

Here's a first: Yesterday I found a cache with a condom packet in it. Though at first surprised, I realized what a good idea it was. It goes far beyond the usual cache swag criteria of small and inexpensive. As swag it also is sealed and wrapped, encourages safe sex, prevents unwanted pregnancy, and plays a small part in helping to eliminate the planet's scourge of AIDS. Far superior to Sponge Bob Squarepants erasers, used golf balls, and mardi gras beads.

--klsavp

Here's a first: Yesterday I found a cache with a condom packet in it. Though at first surprised, I realized what a good idea it was. It goes far beyond the usual cache swag criteria of small and inexpensive. As swag it also is sealed and wrapped, encourages safe sex, prevents unwanted pregnancy, and plays a small part in helping to eliminate the planet's scourge of AIDS. Far superior to Sponge Bob Squarepants erasers, used golf balls, and mardi gras beads.

--klsavp

Yes, but lots of cachers cache with their kids and don't want them to see that sort of thing. There's a hige debate on it somewhere... can't remember where though. So, for caches where you're fairly sure only adults are going to show up, it's probably ok (if a bit odd), the "kid friendly" caches really shouldn't have that sort of thing in them.

Well, since I got such a fast response from my question about muggles, I figured I might as well ask this while I'm thinking of it :ph34r:

What do you usually take to leave in a cache an/or what do you usually find in one?

Obviously small things, but I just have no ideas whatsoever :cry: I really want to get this more or less figured out before my GPS arrives in the mail at the end of the week :o

Thanks a ton for your help, you guys are just so darn... well, helpful!

:laughing: We have a really cool Bead store here and I find all kinds of charms and trinkets to put in caches. Also, the dollar store and I get a pack of Hot Wheel cars

Here's a first: Yesterday I found a cache with a condom packet in it. T-//-

and you would find it ok to use a condom "you found" rather then one from the store or pharmacy?

dang!!! i wouldnt and would strongly advice against it.

as i wont eat or drink anything i find in a cache not even if its in a "new wrapper"

same goes for dog treats, the dogs arent getting them.

all cases are a too big health risk.

A lot of the time it is TNLN because I drive 3 different vehicles & my Geocaching backpack is usually in one I'm not in! (GPS is always with my radio/personal protection device bag). When I do have it I leave caribiners (I have a ton of old ones from work), toys/trinkets for kids, tennis balls for dogs & our personalized wooden coins. I have left some of the $1 DVD's you can get now & such. I usually only take others wooden coins & caribiners as I collect them. If I know I will be out again soon or know I have a trip comming of some distance I will take/leave TB's.

Here's a first: Yesterday I found a cache with a condom packet in it. T-//-

and you would find it ok to use a condom "you found" rather then one from the store or pharmacy?

dang!!! i wouldnt and would strongly advice against it.

as i wont eat or drink anything i find in a cache not even if its in a "new wrapper"

same goes for dog treats, the dogs arent getting them.

all cases are a too big health risk.

Well, since I'm a 60 year old woman who has been married to the same person for 38 years, I don't have much use for a condom, and I do think that a chapstick or other item found in its original sealed package is safe. (Food and drink are never supposed to be left in a cache.) Even if a cacher doesn't take the condom, I do think its presence sends a good message and serves as a good reminder. -- klsavp

so does a "safe sex" or "just say no to drugs" flyer.

i appreciate and envy your trust in "human kind", but Ive lost that, its changed to

expect the worst, hope for the best

survival of the most paranoid :D

-//-original sealed package is safe.-//-

thats the thing, how you going to check that?

because its vaccuum? I can do that at home

because it "neatly" packed? again ^

can you see that insuline needleprick?

there's always one weirdo that snaps and blames the rest of the (caching) world.

how about over the counter medication?

would you trust that perfectly packaged box of "meds" found in the cache?

nah... not me

Edited by Guinness70

-//- I do cardmaking/scrapbooking as my other hobby, so the cards I make reflect that-//-

THAT's what i mean! something PERSONAL, something that can be linked to you.

i realise we're not all handy at crafting; but could be something you can get free/cheap at work.

or something that relates to your nickname.

i printed some code cards on fluo paper

each side had a roster : one side A=1Z=26 and on other side A=26 Z=1... you get the drift

had "greetings from Guinness70" on them and the link to our national GC site, some with my phone number.

cut them out buisness card sized, laminated them.

always have some in my wallet and sometimes drop them or hand them out when we meet a fellow cacher.

just pointing out that it doesnt have to be "art" or "super skilled".

I never traded these for anything, they werent' swag.

also did some geocache notices on same paper and laminated them. english and dutch ones. I put a bunch of these in one of my caches as swag. handy for someone planning a hide.

Edited by Guinness70

I am pretty much a newbie and in general I am the kind of person who gives way more than they receive, but up here on North Vancouver Island I have to say that a lot of the caches have been filled with just junk, even one with a pump from a bottle of lotion, paperclips...it isn't that I am out for swag but honestly it bugs me when people don't take the time to just put in something they would want. Sooooo...

:) I went out the other day to the dollar store and got HUGE amounts of swag for $15 - Which sounds like a lot but everything was a dollar or less and a lot of the things were packs of stuff.

I got:

Wet Wipes (mint, must be refreshing!) (3 for $1)

Nice Soft Socks with Canadian flags on them

Mini First Aid kits

SaniGel

Carbiners with little led flashlights attached

Carbiners/calculators

Bandanas

Really cool Large Canada Penny bottle openers (copper like)

Canadian Flag sew on patches (3 for $1)

and a whack of other stuff...my packsack was actually *heavy* enough to look sideways at my hubby as we were hiking through the woods! I think the best part was putting the stuff in the caches and thinking about the people who are gonna get it.

:)

Do you guy's have any advice for a lone female cache hunter...?? How do you explain your activities in hedgerows etc...? :)

Seacarrot, all you gotta say is "my kid lost his toy/ball/video game/whatever and I'm looking for it. Works whether or not you have kids, since they don't know if you do or not. I've never been questioned, but if I ever am that's gonna be my response. :)

Do you guy's have any advice for a lone female cache hunter...?? How do you explain your activities in hedgerows etc...? :laughing:

Seacarrot, all you gotta say is "my kid lost his toy/ball/video game/whatever and I'm looking for it. Works whether or not you have kids, since they don't know if you do or not. I've never been questioned, but if I ever am that's gonna be my response. :D

Cheers for that, i also read some good advice today that said to use your GPS as a pretend phone, people dont like to interupt you. I tried it out and it actually works.!! :laughing:

Cheers for that, i also read some good advice today that said to use your GPS as a pretend phone, people dont like to interupt you. I tried it out and it actually works.!! :laughing:

nobody is fooled. they give you a wide berth because you look like a lunatic, talking into a GPSr.

as for the condoms, aside from any controversy, latex degrades over time and condoms left in geocaches should not be trusted. i recommend against leaving one because it's just tempting fate.

I'm not sure this is such a good idea. Seeds=food for many small critters, and they may gnaw through the cache trying to get to them! It'd probably be okay in an ammo can, but I wouldn't trust putting seeds in a plastic container!

I like to leave the small/medium size carabeaners/clips. Most people have a backpack of some type when caching so a clip is a nice thing to get. I also get some cheap tweezers from time to time from the 99 cent store & leave them for those folks that have small logs in the micros. I also found the small play-dough in small cans and bought like 20 of them for 10 bucks. Kids loved them. I also like to leave the small costco waters in MY larger caches.

There was an interesting thread on play-doh a while back. Seems that some critters smell play-doh and think FOOD!, and will go to great lengths to get it. Apparently more than a few caches have been ruined by raccoons or other creatures trying to get the play-doh.

When I first started I used whatever toys my Daughter outgrew (as long as they were still in good condition) and that worked pretty well. Then along came the personalized wooden nickels and I was hooked. Not everyone has one so it makes them somewhat rare. I try to leave one in every cache I enjoyed finding (if there was room) and now look for caches that mention them being left. Heck, I even made a wooden nickel display board from one of those $1 plaques from Wal-Mart and have it hanging on the wall. So keep them nickels coming!!

from paracord and glowintehdark cord i make zipperpulls, fobs, sinnets ... sort of a relaxing mantra for me... anyway

I have loads of those so i drop these in the caches, small but also handy.

i put a load of em in my first hidden cache and added this collage to the cache page so people know what these things are and how to use em.

49fffe67-b921-4212-a5f0-e7c1f3c49f6d.jpg

IM NEW AND I FOUND ONE OF THEESE LAST WEEK BUT THE CATCH WAS RUINED WITH WATER AND SMEELED REALLY BAD,,,BUMMER!!

WE LIKE TO LEAVE NICE STUFF--THE LAST ONE WE DID WE TOOK A NEW WATER BOMB FRISBEE FOR SOME LUCKY KID, BUT ALSO FOUND A COOL TB:p

Great ideas, I'm still new at this (found 14 :D ), but am enjoying myself, and the time spent out with the kids. When I started I had some leftover parts for a craft I did at church and thought they might make great swag so I made up roughly 3" square leather covered blank journal book with a leather wrap around cord, similar to something I'd seen Lewis and Clark use on their journey (except much smaller :laughing: ). I used quality paper inside, and think they looked great and are useful. Considering making tiny ones for the smaller caches, but don't know how it will come out. Glad I've read this thread though because after being out and not finding any writing utensil in our minivan with three kids, I used a burnt match to leave my mark in the log, then thought maybe we could leave waterproof matches as a sig item, small, useful, easy to carry, but now I see it's not a good item. Love the idea of the mosquito wipes, especially in South Florida, sunscreen wipes also. Doogie items, how about small washcloths with a paw print on them to use for wiping off the dogs paws before re-entering the car for the drive home? I'd use it to wipe of the sweat here also :blink: .

I haven't started my caching adventures yet, but I've been going through my house looking for SWAG.

I found some cute things. I know this one may be a bit controversial but I found a never used shot glass with my towns logo on it. I was planning on leaving it much later in my caching when I'm out of town and it's a more difficult find, that a child may not find.

I also found some "travel" themed stickers (perfect for cachers I think), and some beach themed stickers for a cash I may find close to a beach.

I have some nice candle holders, some glittery (unused) hair clips, key chains, small travel tools, I figure the more I can find and the less I can spend at first is better.

For Canadians, those Tim Hortons Rim Roller key chains woudl be a great find. :ph34r:

I made up roughly 3" square leather covered blank journal book with a leather wrap around cord, similar to something I'd seen Lewis and Clark use on their journey (except much smaller biggrin.gif ). I used quality paper inside, and think they looked great and are useful.

I'd love to find something like that. I really like to find home made crafts in caches. My absolute favorite was a home made fabric cover for those pocket packs of kleenex tissue. It is really nifty and I love it for holding those tissue packets together, as they are prone to letting the tissues all fall out once they are opened and placed in a backpack!

Great ideas for swag! I have had fun finding stuff from Walmart, Target and dollar stores for swag. The bandanas are favorites of mine. I put each one in a baggie so they stay dry. Baggies of different sizes are in my pack for things such as batteries (I do leave batteries sometimes, though I know they can corrode.If the cache gets visited frequently I don;t worry about it.) Now that cold weather is coming those hand and toe warmers would be a nice find as sox, little scarves or mittens. Regarding junk in caches? I don;t like to find junk any more than anyone else, so may do a little cache CITO and cache maintenance if a new log is needed. It helps fellow cachers out to replace a log if one is full, then you put that in your log. I like to browse antique shops with my hubby. You can find some really cool and inexpensive things in those places too.

TBs and coins are fun to find. I guess that is the adult find I really enjoy. You find a cool coin, learn about its goal and its owner, enjoy it for a little bit, then pass it along for someone else to enjoy. :unsure:

So the suggestions go from one end of the spectrum to the other. The only thing that is agreed upon is to not leave "broken" toys in the cache.

I like the idea of "practical" items, I don't cache with kids, so generally don't take anything but just leave something. I get my swag from the Target $1 aisle. I guess I was always ok with not taking anything, knowing that some family would come along with kids and find this cool "treasure" I had left.

I am curious, is it better to leave "treasures", or more practical things?

I know I will now get a zillion responses.

Instinct for me, is telling me to keep dropping the "treasures", but then will the next cacher, slap their forehead and say not another one with only junk.

:unsure:

I made up roughly 3" square leather covered blank journal book with a leather wrap around cord, similar to something I'd seen Lewis and Clark use on their journey (except much smaller biggrin.gif ). I used quality paper inside, and think they looked great and are useful.

I'd love to find something like that. I really like to find home made crafts in caches. My absolute favorite was a home made fabric cover for those pocket packs of kleenex tissue. It is really nifty and I love it for holding those tissue packets together, as they are prone to letting the tissues all fall out once they are opened and placed in a backpack!

wait, wait!

you SAW lewis and clark? you are remarkably well-preserved and i doff my hat to you.

I have read over these posts, but didnt see this in there.

I have a few nice pocket kinfes Id like to leave in a cache, but i know this is a kid friendly sport, so i dont know if it would be ok the leave these?

knives are not considered acceptable. there have been a lot of threads about it, so i'll just give you the precis:

children might find them!

people should supervise their children.

convicts could find them!

convicts don't find geocaches.

convicts DO find caches while on work detail.

how often?

once is all it takes.

knives still don't represent a significant risk.

land managers won't allow caches on account of there being knives in them.

that's silly.

maybe so, but land managers have the final say.

well, that's different, then. let's not leave any knives.

--klsavp

Actually it's not useful, it's very dangerous. A latex condom shouldn't be exposed to extreme temperatures and they have an expiration date. ;) Using a cache-condom is probably a good way to get a surprise-illness or surprise-baby.

Surprise! Condoms are still a bad idea for caches!

how many dusty CD,s do you have... I love new music and some music I had never heard of before i have found in GC's...

True story... Myself, having worked in the music business for... too long.. i can honestly say I have thousands. After cherry picking the best of the best off on ebay, and putting the rest onto a WMC server, I'm happy to share the bulk with others. Weve only been GCing for a week and a half, but have enjoyed clearing out space in the garage, one disc at a time, by leaving them in any cache large enough to hold them.

Now if only we can find caches big enough to hold LPs and 12" singles, i can start moving those out, too...

What do you usually take to leave in a cache an/or what do you usually find in one?

These are the things we most like to find and leave.

signature items

coins

bracelets (especially hand-made ones)

hot wheels or matchbox cars

glow sticks

keychains (for some reason my kids go nuts for those "buckle-up" keychains. We're starting to have a collection of them.)

I don't want to be redundant as many good comments have been posted but here's my $.02. First, when it comes to swag, keep in mind that these are the "treasures" that the kids are anticipating after trekking for the cache. We are a family team and our routine when finding a cache is the log book immediately gets handed to me and the kids go through the cache for the treasure. We get disappointed with the fast food toys even if they are in the original plastic bag. We keep a small backpack that my youngest son wears while caching. We frequently stock it from the dollar store. I like to think of things that other cachers would appreciate. One of our favorites are the mini glow sticks. The kind that you bend to activate. The boys also love the TB's but it is important to keep future caching in mind before you grab them. I will ALWAYS ask them how long it will be before we cache again so that the TB does not go dormant for too long. More people need to be responsible when moving TB's. After all, they are supposed to travel and not sit in somebody's back pack!

When my family geocaches together it's the exact same thing -- I get the log book while the kids check out the swag :laughing:. Travel bugs are a separate category and I have explained to the kids how they work and how they are different from swag. I recently went to the local party store and picked up some party favors to include in some caches we will be placing and to use as swag for finds.

I've only been geocaching since September and I never take signature items. Yet I can see that if everyone left signature items and they were never removed the cache would quickly fill up. So are signature items considered swag or are they meant to remain in the cache?
Signature items are considered trade items, not a replacement for signing the log. Finders can trade for them. (I trade for them to add them to my collection, and they're really the only thing I trade for now.)