Beacon Hill Trail Network Survey

Lookout Lisa

The Beacon Hill Advisory Committee is a local effort to formalize the Spokane Beacon Hill Trail Network for future enjoyment by the public for generations to come; I have been on the Beacon Hill Advisory Committee now for over a year representing my Spokane neighborhood (Minnehaha) and geocaching.

We are in the process of gathering some usage data for our planning and the upcoming design charrette (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charrette) this October, and would like to ask interested folks to take a survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/beaconhill

The Fat Tire Trail Riders Club is leading this effort in partnership with the City of Spokane, Spokane County, Avista, private landowners, developers, International Mountain Biking Association, bicycle advocates, the Mountaineers, the American Society of Landscape Architects, Wheelsport East, Wintersport, Inland Northwest Trails Coalition, Spokane County Regional Health District, Minnehaha Neighborhood Council, REI, and Mountain Gear. Technical Assistance is being provided by the National Park Service's Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Assistance Program.

The survey will close end of July. If you haven’t done so and are interested, please take the time (5 minutes or so) to fill it out online: http://www.surveymonkey.com/beaconhill. So far, there are 170 responses from many different users, and mountain biking does seem to be the main user activity so far.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions/concerns or would like to help out.

Edited by Lookout Lisa

Our design charrette is this weekend! I'd like to put out the invitation for the open house this Saturday evening in Spokane at the new Mountain Gear Corporate Headquarters:

Beacon Hill Trail Network Design Charrette

October 25 Open House Draft Agenda

Mountain Gear

6021 E Mansfield

--Draft Agenda--

6:00 Welcome by Mike Aho

- City’s Vision for Spokane and how this fits in

- Value of Beacon Hill to City & Olmsted’s vision for Upriver park

- Future vision for Camp Sekani

- How the charrette work will be used in the future

- Thank to participants & sponsors & everyone for coming

6:10 Overview of the Beacon Hill Effort - Penny Schwyn

- Goals & Status

- How the charrette work will be used (next steps – document & map)

6:15 Charrette & Open House Overview - Craig Anderson

- What a charrette is

- Team work & ASLA facilitators

- How the Open House is Set-up (Introduce sticky dot voting and comment cards)

6:20 Design Team Presentations

- Two presenters (one ASLA and one local community member)

- Each team gets 10 minutes

7:10 Questions/Comments/Discussion

7:35 Sticky Dot Voting & Comment Cards

8:00 Wrap-up and Close

This will be the culmination of two days of tours (hiking, biking and geocaching), work-shopping and collaboration from lots of local stakeholders, land managers and state-wide participants. Come on down and hear how our work went, see the presentations and let us know what you think. I hear there will be door prizes too :anicute: