Cache placed in a "USED" septic tank

Recently I ran across a quite unusual cache placed near an condemned home. This is obviously used by the homeless. Graffiti and garbage everywhere. Just outside of the former dwelling is (for lack of a better term) an outhouse. Construction is a concrete septic tank with a 30 gal drum built in. Even has a toilet seat!

Well the cache is attached to a stick, and lowered into the tank. Tank is full of...Well I can only assume what is still in the tank but there is an odor. What would you think?

Considering "squatters" are definitely still using this tenement and there is no way of know when the last time this "facility" was used... Is this acceptable?

I couldn't find anything against this in the Geocaching guidelines. Thou I would think this qualifies as a health risk at the very least? The word "Disease" comes to mind!

What are your thoughts?

Recently I ran across a quite unusual cache placed near an condemned home. This is obviously used by the homeless. Graffiti and garbage everywhere. Just outside of the former dwelling is (for lack of a better term) an outhouse. Construction is a concrete septic tank with a 30 gal drum built in. Even has a toilet seat!

Well the cache is attached to a stick, and lowered into the tank. Tank is full of...Well I can only assume what is still in the tank but there is an odor. What would you think?

Considering "squatters" are definitely still using this tenement and there is no way of know when the last time this "facility" was used... Is this acceptable?

I couldn't find anything against this in the Geocaching guidelines. Thou I would think this qualifies as a health risk at the very least? The word "Disease" comes to mind!

What are your thoughts?

I've heard of a cache like this, or similar. What's the GC number for it?

It's OK per se to put out a cache like this, it should however havea terrain 5 rating.

PS

Don't tell Vinnie about this one, it might give him ideas...

:D

Edited by lrosell

What are your thoughts?

This sounds like a GREAT cache, and so long as the Terrain rating is sufficiently high, perhaps a 4.0 or higher, well then, all is okay, and in fact, it sounds GREAT! In fact, it could easily qualify to be a Psycho Urban Cache! I extend my sincere congradulatshuns (sic :D:D ) to the cache hider! :D

(Note: this is perhaps my last post to the forum for 18 days, as I am heading out to the airport for my flight to Malaysia in two hours...!)

What are your thoughts?

I'm waiting for the GC#. I think we all are!!

I'm sure there's nothing there that a plumber doesn't run into on a daily basis. Of course, a plumber does get paid for it.

Yes, walk away is right!

The person whom placed this cache is a strange character. Most of his hides have some sort of twist or humor involved.... To be honest I thought this was a play on words. Not this time...LOL

Funning aside, this hide (to me) is disappointing. I just don't see the "fun" in this.

Cache: GC1CQ1H

• GREAT IDEAS FOR CACHES AND THIS ONE DID NOT DISAPPOINT. THANKS.
  • THIS WAS ANOTHER GREAT KG6EAR HIDE. I CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON KG6EAR TO RAISE MY GEO-SPIRITS WITH ONE OF HIS HIDES AFTER BEING LET DOWN BY SO MANY OF THE LAME CITY HIDES I'VE BEEN FINDING.

Given that there have been 11 finds so far, that at least some of the finders logs that speak highly of the hide, and the fact that you have not yet claimed a find, I guess I'd like to ask how you know that it is attached to a stick and lowered into the tank. Are you certain that isn't a decoy? Sure sounds like a liar's cache with a rather odd decoy to me.

You know the more I think about it, why on earth would a cache be approved that was in an area where...

"vandalism near the cache"

and

"may indicate irritation of neighboring residents who can view the traffic near the cache"

This one would not make it to my to-do list.

Edited by OzzieSan

We almost found a cache in a similar situation. I started reading the description as we walked to the cache but after telling my wife about it, we turned around and left before making it there. I try to keep my logs positive, but I just couldn't when I wrote that DNF.

I'm okay moving sticks to find a cache but not used toilet paper.

• GREAT IDEAS FOR CACHES AND THIS ONE DID NOT DISAPPOINT. THANKS.
  • THIS WAS ANOTHER GREAT KG6EAR HIDE. I CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON KG6EAR TO RAISE MY GEO-SPIRITS WITH ONE OF HIS HIDES AFTER BEING LET DOWN BY SO MANY OF THE LAME CITY HIDES I'VE BEEN FINDING.

Given that there have been 11 finds so far, that at least some of the finders logs that speak highly of the hide, and the fact that you have not yet claimed a find, I guess I'd like to ask how you know that it is attached to a stick and lowered into the tank. Are you certain that isn't a decoy? Sure sounds like a liar's cache with a rather odd decoy to me.

The OP was FTF, but never bothered to log his find. I think this qualifies as the "crappiest cache in Victor Valley." I skipped it when I was in the area.

Yes, walk away is right!

The person whom placed this cache is a strange character. Most of his hides have some sort of twist or humor involved.... To be honest I thought this was a play on words. Not this time...LOL

Funning aside, this hide (to me) is disappointing. I just don't see the "fun" in this.

Cache: GC1CQ1H

Since it's an MOC, I'm sure this strange character will notice lots of visitors from all over the place now on his audit log. :D No, I'd skip this for sure; especially with that verbage about "vandalism near the cache", and "may indicate irritation of nearby residents".

Sorry, there are health implications with this stuff. Poison Ivy/Oak and so forth are one thing, but human waste is something entirely different.

This is something that Groundspeak should look into doing away with, banned and move on.

If your not smart enough to stay out of poo, there is that old saying about the monkey...we all know.

Sorry, there are health implications with this stuff. Poison Ivy/Oak and so forth are one thing, but human waste is something entirely different.

This is something that Groundspeak should look into doing away with, banned and move on.

If your not smart enough to stay out of poo, there is that old saying about the monkey...we all know.

Well said!

I work at a hospital and lets just say, I would avoid this one like the plague!

Especially w/ certain types of neighbors. :D

What are your thoughts?

My first thought is "double yuck".

My second though is "extra big double yuck".

The next time someone whines in this forum about there not being enough originality in geocaching, we should Markwell this thread. Give me an ammo can under a pile of sticks any day.

What's really sad is some people needed the smiley bad enough to put their health at risk.

:D WHAT A BUNCH OF PANSIES! :D

Oh, wait, some pansies would probably appreciate a bit of fertilizer! :D

Seriously, with a bit of preparation there should be no risk whatsoever...do a bottle of bleach and a pair of nitrile gloves count as special equipment? :D

The porta-john maintenance, and septic tank pump-out guys deal with this kind of crap every day! :D

:D WHAT A BUNCH OF PANSIES! :D

Oh, wait, some pansies would probably appreciate a bit of fertilizer! :D

Seriously, with a bit of preparation there should be no risk whatsoever...do a bottle of bleach and a pair of nitrile gloves count as special equipment? :D

The porta-john maintenance, and septic tank pump-out guys deal with this kind of crap every day! :D

Sorry, but I don't count having to wear a level 3 hazmat suite while caching to be a level 5 terrain rating, I think that is more like a level-IDIOT.

Ask people that empty septic tanks, portipoties and other human waste containers what the precautions they have to take are. Also, what is the rate at which they contract hep and other things? Its higher then what you think.

If you need the smiley that bad, so be it. To me there are larger implications to this cache, and the stupid factor is high. If you have to contact human waste for it, lets just emphasis that.

Sorry, but I don't count having to wear a level 3 hazmat suite while caching to be a level 5 terrain rating, I think that is more like a level-IDIOT.

Ask people that empty septic tanks, portipoties and other human waste containers what the precautions they have to take are. Also, what is the rate at which they contract hep and other things? Its higher then what you think.

Boy, when I first started here, there were a number of threads about caches that make this one sound like a walk in the park. Sure... I know now that most, if not all, were "liar's caches", but even among the uninitiated, most of the responses were like, "Wow! I'm going to take my summer vacation to do this one! Can anyone tell me where I can rent a radiation suit?"

Boy, when I first started here, there were a number of threads about caches that make this one sound like a walk in the park. Sure... I know now that most, if not all, were "liar's caches", but even among the uninitiated, most of the responses were like, "Wow! I'm going to take my summer vacation to do this one! Can anyone tell me where I can rent a radiation suit?"

Considering the author of the thread never qualified this as a liars cache......

Considering the author of the thread never qualified this as a liars cache......

How would one qualify as the author of a liar's cache?

Come on, people... several people have found the cache. How many do YOU know that would really retrieve a cache in a septic tank, much less post good reviews about it afterward?

(Note: this is perhaps my last post to the forum for 18 days, as I am heading out to the airport for my flight to Malaysia in two hours...!)

:D SIGNAL BULLETIN :D

To: All Groundspeak Forum Moderators

Date: 15 July 2008

Subject: Change in Forum Alert Status

Effective this date, Groundspeak Forum Alert status has been reset from DEFCON 2 to DEFCON 3. Backup moderators can stand down per Procedure 05-28.

Date of next Forum Alert Status review is set for 3 August 2008.

Contact the Lily Pad with any Alerts using codeword Blue Horse Shoe.

How would one qualify as the author of a liar's cache?

Come on, people... several people have found the cache. How many do YOU know that would really retrieve a cache in a septic tank, much less post good reviews about it afterward?

I've always said there will be an endless parade of smiley seekers to anything listed on this website. :D This is no liar's cache. I wouldn't lie, would I? :D

Sorry, there are health implications with this stuff. Poison Ivy/Oak and so forth are one thing, but human waste is something entirely different....

Well said!

I work at a hospital and lets just say, I would avoid this one like the plague!

Especially w/ certain types of neighbors. :D

Are you serious? I wasn't going to post until I saw this... if you work in a hospital you work every day in one of the deadliest environments in this country, but worry about a cache in an outhouse?

From http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/...tal_infections:

Shocking Hospital Infection Statistics

• 2 million patients get health care associated infections each year

• 100,000 deaths from health care/hospital infections each year

• $30 billion spent to treat health care/hospital infections each year

Hospital infections are commonly drug resistant and lethal. The bacteria in these infections replicate and mutate so aggressively that even the most potent antibiotics can not kill them.

Outhouses are much safer than hospitals! I grew up in the '60s using outhouses that were built in 1929. Standing side-by-side one had the lettering "White" and the other "Colored" on the doors. After we bought the property in '62 we used them until the mid '70s.

Somewhere along about '77 we found that campers on the property while we were gone had knocked down the colored outhouse and used it to cook chicken in the middle of the road. Nothing left but burnt wood scrap and chicken bones!

Outhouses never caused us any problem... but a post-surgical hospital infection cost me my left leg!

From the cache description:

UPDATE! For cachers who might read this listing and think something about the cache is unsanitary, let me flush out some info right now for you.. There is nothing known to be biologically active or more hazardous than normal dirt and sand at this site. In the desert, things aren't always what they appear to be. I can't say anymore without ruining the camouflage and surprise of the cache. Heck, I've said too much already!

I suspect that the OP is misinformed about this cache and that many people in this thread have overreacted. It's hard to believe that this would happen in internet forums. I guess there is a first (or 51,374,295,752nd) time for everything.

From the cache description:

UPDATE! For cachers who might read this listing and think something about the cache is unsanitary, let me flush out some info right now for you.. There is nothing known to be biologically active or more hazardous than normal dirt and sand at this site. In the desert, things aren't always what they appear to be. I can't say anymore without ruining the camouflage and surprise of the cache. Heck, I've said too much already!

I suspect that the OP is misinformed about this cache and that many people in this thread have overreacted. It's hard to believe that this would happen in internet forums. I guess there is a first (or 51,374,295,752nd) time for everything.

Would this be the appropriate time for me to say, "See? I told you so!" :):D:D

I think it is a pretty poor idea for a cache and personally I would ignore it, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be or shouldn't be listed. If someone want to go sticking their hand in an outhouse, more power to them. I'll pass on ever shaking that hand though! :D

I found a similar cache once. It was inside an outhouse. I had decided that if it were where I imagined it would be I would walk out with no regrets. I was pleasantly surprised to find I wouldn't have to "go there" to sign the log book and I got my smiley.

It does not happen very often, but a Reviewer can act on a cache that is in poor taste or otherwise "a bad idea". Personaly, I have only done that once. If the reports were all negative, this might be one of those times.

The cache owner deletes any negative logs on this cache.

I'm guessing you've never changed a diaper...?