What do buyers want from Vendors?

Eric K

With the recent angst going around lately I think it's time to start a productive thread.

Please use the following guidelines in this thread.

1. Only post what things you like or would like to see from vendors/sellers.

2. Please do not mention vendors/sellers by name so this won't turn into and advertising thread.

3. Please do not post 'horror stories' or bad things that have happened as examples.

4. Please do not post what 'you do as a seller/vendor to avoid this turning into an advertising thread.

I think this could be a good thread for vendors/sellers to actually see what customers want if it doesn't turn into personal attacks and is kept on topic.

Edited by Eric K

1. If pre-orders are taken, I would like my coins within 30 days, and if that is not possible, I would like to be kept updated on their progress

2. Minting numbers esp LE need to be kep to what was promised

3. I would love it if the websites were set up so I can add multiple items to my cart at one time, or always have a "set" sold so purchasing will be easier

Updates and information are priority one for me. While I don't expect an update every day a once a week, "We checked on things and they are progressing 'xyz' " would be great. Particularly if the delivery date is overshot. Otherwise the void of silence is one that makes me very nervous and less likely to do business with an individual again in the future.

For those of you saying better updates. How would you prefer those updates.

Website?

Forums?

E-mail?

Other?

Communication would be a top priority for me.

I think via email is best - but forum updates are also a good idea. And updating the website page seems to make logical sense.

I don't think there can be too much communication outside of being blasted with daily updates or something. Somehow I don't think that would ever be likely anyway.

[edit] spelling

Edited by ThePetersTrio

Website?

Forums?

E-mail?

Other?

All of the above. If there is a forum thread then update there for sure. A newsletter works very well. Many people may not go to the website all the time but for me a notice there is required.

I would like to see

--minting numbers and if a remint is possible in the future

--timely updates = good communication

--reservations but no presales. I don't like my money held up for a long period of time

--shopping carts that don't dump out what you put in them if you can't hit the pay button quick enough. i.e. if you put something in there it should stay there for a given period of time to allow you to finish shopping. I have had it dumped before I had time to go back and add the second coin I wanted.

--I also don't want a bad toupee :D

Reservations over pre-sales over scheduled feeding frenzies. !!!PLEASE!!!

If unwilling to set up Reservations for hot coins limit the numbers available per customer per day.... 3 is plenty for traders, releasers and collectors.

Set up your inventory control through the customers' shopping cart not the final checkout. This allows for a shopping experience not a frenzied one. Maybe place a reasonable time limit or expiration on the cart, say 20 minutes. If the cart's not checked out by then the inventory is returned to the bin.

For pre-sales to deliver within 30 days or offer refunds if you can't make your deadline AND weekly updates for those who are willing to wait. If you're going to communicate to your paid customers I think you should commit to that communication. Post regular updates on the website and newsletter any new developments directly to those customers if you want them to feel that you care about keeping them informed. If you post updates to an old thread on the Forums it shows a lack of commitment to communicating to your customers as your message is buried in a pile of old posts.

Variety is nice. Some vendours have their prefered designer and the coins tend to look a lot alike. Switch them around for variety's sake. There are so many different tastes for coins among us you can't please all of us all the time but at least keep it spicy and varied.

The ability to combine orders would be nice to reduce on shipping costs and even waste of shipping materials.

Many vendours have it and some don't; the ability to look at past orders with links to the coin's sale page. Porfolios of the coins sold and sold out is very helpful to those looking for pics of their coins. Watermark them if you don't like your storage used by other commercial vendours or re-sellers.

Forget the hairpiece. Can you imagine the crud that gets tangled in it when the coin sits in a swag bag or worse an old ammo can? Euww.

I like email updates. Remints don't bother me. I don't understand why some people think that their coin is so much more cooler b/c it's LE. I say if 1000 people like your coin, but you only made 200, then why not make the other 800 people happy too. This would limit people from buying in bulk just to resale on eBay and list it as "SOLD OUT", "HTF", "LE". For example, I was lucky enough to get a coin last year that I bought for around 9 bucks that are now going on ebay for over 50. Although I have a so called "rare" coin, it wouldn't bother me if that person decided to do a remint when there are so many more people that like it and want it.

I don't mind a few newsletters a month as long as you have something important to say.

Presales should be delivered on time or don't do a presale. I prefer reservations over presales, b/c there's no money involved.

How many newsletters do you like from a vendor per month?

One per new project or even combine the projects if they're evolving close together.

How many are to many and you start to consider them spam and annoying?

What information do you like in the newsletters?

Good point. For delayed pre-sales I should think fortnightly newsletters to those who paid, not your entire registered database. Useful information may include causes for the delay (no excuses please) and anticipated timeline for remedies being implemented. HONESTY!

For upcoming projects pics of samples are great, art not so much. Finishes, quantities for those who need them, price and availability timeline including reservation dates, or starting line for the feeding frenzy including guidelines for keeping it fair and civil.

Selling a coin out in 5 minutes may be a good ego boost but it pisses off a lot of customers who must then resort to the black market especially if there is not to be a remint. Imagine if your kid wants the latest PlayStation but come sale time the company did not make enough to meet the demand but dozens and dozens come available on Ebay. Suddenly Sony products don't look so good because of fishy marketing practises intended to drive up demand. The intelligent unmanipulated buyer will find the Xbox or Wii to be the better product.

I prefer communication from the vendor. Like someone else said; if they were primarily advertised via this thread, then post here. If they were primarily advertised via website, then update the website, etc.

I don't prefer presales but if the vendor chooses to go that route and I trust them and I REALLY want the coin, I'll go ahead with a presale but most of the time, I'll trade for them down the road instead.

Side Note: This thread just proves that no matter what a vendor does or doesn't do, there is no way to please everyone. A vendor can only do what is right for them in the end BUT they do have th capability of changing some things (communication being one of them).

Now, could you please start a thread about; "What do vendors want from their customers?" I bet that would be very interesting! :D

I think fair prices would be nice. I went to the MOGA mega event this year where a vendor was selling newer coins for 15.00-30.00 each. Seems kind of high but maybe that is the going rate at mega events. I have had coins made before and know they don't cost that much. :D

make only a single edition of a particular coin

no variants, finishes, versions, metals, etc

if there is too much temptation to do otherwise -

make equal numbers of each variant

no LEs, SEs, AEs, XEs, etc

if there is too much temptation to do otherwise -

make sales such that your customers have a chance to get the "rare" versions

sell the ?Es only as part of a set that includes all versions

limit sales of the ?Es to one to a customer

or, better still, both of the above

Communication....even if it's bad news.

The GOOD news is: I received your paypal payments :D

The BAD news is:

......I've moved to Tahiti with my new friend :D Mauruuru for the help :D

huahine-te-tiare-beach-reso.jpg

DanielCraig.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist, I'm in frisky mood. I hope it was ethically/morally ok for me to post this, lmao. :D

Communication....even if it's bad news.

The GOOD news is: I received your paypal payments :D

The BAD news is:

......I've moved to Tahiti with my new friend :D Mauruuru for the help :D

huahine-te-tiare-beach-reso.jpg

DanielCraig.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist, I'm in frisky mood. I hope it was ethically/morally ok for me to post this, lmao. :D

All, let's please keep this on subject before it gets to silly.

This just may be me but... I like to purchase geocoins for what they were initially made for to travel from cache to cache and for other geocachers to enjoy finding them. If geocoins didn't have a limited number made would they be less likely to get stolen from caches. I can understand some special coins (there are alot of cool ones) but how about some coins that are still very cool but not limited in number made.

reasonable mailing costs and response to e mails on the subject.

Bob

Grrrrr

Here, here. I hate jacked up mailing cost. I understand that there is packaging and time involved, but when you are charged $10 for the first item and $5 for each additional for a total shipping of over $100 dollars don't expect me to pay. Yes, true story, I was looking to refurbish some PDAs for resell. I know we are talking coins, but when all I was getting was the PDA, no stylus, charger, craddle; just about 25 PDAs bulk packed in a box. It cost less than half that to send my 17in CRT monitor in for repairs.

maldar

A packing list with my coins! I only know of one company that includes this with my order. For those without a list, I look at the coins and think...what's the official name of this one so I can get the activation code?! There was actually one occasion when I e-mailed the vendor because I couldn't find anything that I would have called it.

I like email updates. Remints don't bother me. I don't understand why some people think that their coin is so much more cooler b/c it's LE. I say if 1000 people like your coin, but you only made 200, then why not make the other 800 people happy too. This would limit people from buying in bulk just to resale on eBay and list it as "SOLD OUT", "HTF", "LE". For example, I was lucky enough to get a coin last year that I bought for around 9 bucks that are now going on ebay for over 50. Although I have a so called "rare" coin, it wouldn't bother me if that person decided to do a remint when there are so many more people that like it and want it.

I don't mind a few newsletters a month as long as you have something important to say.

Presales should be delivered on time or don't do a presale. I prefer reservations over presales, b/c there's no money involved.

How much would it 'not bother you' if you were one of the people who had forked out over 50 bucks for a coin only to see it for sale again weeks later for nine.

Stating minting numbers and sticking to them is important to me. For one, it's a matter of integrity, for two it allows everyone to know what to, and what not to, expect.

How about an agreed upon set of numbers that would justify calling a coin LE/XLE Etc.

One person may mint 25 coins and call them XLE, while another mints 70 with the same designation?

While you have a good point there, I think that the number should be based on a percentage of the coins made. Though we could say: Starting at 10 coins or 5% of total production run, which ever is greater. Can be XLE.

This is in now way what I say should be the number, but just an example of what it could look like for having limits.

I do really like the idea of having some sort of standard.

maldar

How about an agreed upon set of numbers that would justify calling a coin LE/XLE Etc.

One person may mint 25 coins and call them XLE, while another mints 70 with the same designation?

This was tried at one point. There was a thread started to discuss terminology and there was never agreement on LE, RE, XLE, AE, etc.

As for what I want: Caching related coins.

And I don't like reservations or pre-sales. If you're not confident enough that a coin is going to do well, don't make it. I don't like the idea of doing it IF there's enough interest, having the money upfront, etc. unless there are special circusmtances that would warrant it.

This was tried at one point. There was a thread started to discuss terminology and there was never agreement on LE, RE, XLE, AE, etc.

As for what I want: Caching related coins.

And I don't like reservations or pre-sales. If you're not confident enough that a coin is going to do well, don't make it. I don't like the idea of doing it IF there's enough interest, having the money upfront, etc. unless there are special circusmtances that would warrant it.

About the agreed upon set numbers to designate LE/XLE etc., who would enforce it? I'm not saying it's not a good idea, I just don't think people would follow it. Look on eBay - you see people doing all sorts of things - such as saying a coin is sold out when it's not. I'm fairly certain sellers on eBay aren't going to follow any type of designation criterea any of us agree upon, you know?

And Kealia, I'm confused about what you said about reservations. I'm taking reservations for my coin but I have paid for all the coins up front and will not take a cent from anyone until the coins are in hand. The reservations are made for people to ensure they will be first in line when the coins are in hand....like taking reservations for a table in a restaurant. I am like the owner of that restaurant. I'm holding the table and taking a risk that the person making the reservation will show up. If they don't then either I give the table to the next person in line or I close my restaurant for lack of interest. But my customers aren't out anything and when you think about it, I'm the one taking the risk that people will follow through on the reservations.

And that was a risk I was willing to take to avoid problems that are common to pre-sales. :D

Ok, I get the reservations now. You took the risk on the coins and are taking reservations for them when they come in - but they've already been ordered and paid for. No problem there unless the reservation is 6 weeks out and the nturns into more :D .

Thanks for clarifying.

Website?

Forums?

E-mail?

Other?

Communication, communication, communication - if the coin has a thread in the forum, I would like to see the tread updated. If I have been communicating with the vendor via email, updates via email would be welcome.