My funnyest\worst luck in the world Cache story

Parboy

last year I took may Daughter which was 8 at the time Geocaching with me to try to peak her interest a bit. She will go for the trade caches but is not to crazy about the "sign it" caches I often grab so I decided we would get some larger ammo can type caches for her to find. One in particular was in a rather large block of woods off of a power line that is used by some to hike and bike on. Well we were in a bottom and the GPS had me dancing all over the place. so as my daughter was searching she stopped to take a break Next thing I hear is a blood curling scream an I turn to se my daughter jumping around and flailing her arms. I run over to her to find that she has stopped to rest on a black ant mound and she was covered in those large black ants "not carpenter but the ones that do not bite thank god" She was crying and screaming so I grabbed her off the mound spun her around and pulled her pants down and began brushing the ants off her legs. I then look up to see a hiker 30 yards away looking at me . So Lets review. Here I am in the woods with my 8 yr old daughter with her pants around her feet while she is screaming and whailing. I Finished brushing her off and pulled her pants up . The hiker asked if he needed to call the police and I had to explain to him that she had black ants on her but she was OK. I also explained we were geocaching and and what it was. He confirmed with my daughter this was the case and I told him it must have looked bad from his point of view and understood his concern. We then found the cache and left. Its funny now but not as it was occuring

A local caching compadre went in search of one of my caches that involved a long hike around a lake. At one point in the hike you come within 500 feet of the cache - it's just on the other side of the creek but at least another mile hike around to the bridge on the trail. He thought he could bushwhack (wadewhack?) across the little creek and make record time. In a matter of three steps the water goes from ankle deep to knee deep to chest deep. He ended up falling in and frying his: GPSr, cell phone, camera and iPod! And one of the most ironic/sad things was that the cache wasn't even there - I had archived it just hours before because it hadn't been found in nearly a year!

Check out this cache, then read the story below.

Buckeye Pond NC

It took me over a month to crack the code, then I had to wait two more months before we went to Myrtle Beach. So you can imagin by the time the day came to go for it I was salivating like a dog over a steak.

We get to the park, and found the main clue was missing. No sweat that won't stop us, this park isn't that big. We will just hit all the little trails and we will have to find the right one. (cracking the code makes the right trail obvious)

Well after a nice five mile walk through the most spider infested place on earth we came across this old (I mean OLD) couple taking in the 90+ temperature. Their skin was reminiscent of an old elephant, and their tans would make Greek Gods cower in shame. "They have to know where the trail is" I told my caching partner. So we ask, and while he was giving us very vague directions I wondered how long he had the zipper scar down his chest. Anyhow we thanked them, and made our way (hopefully) to the booty.

I wondered what he thought when he saw my big behind coming up the trail soaked to the skin in sweat, holding a walking stick covered in spider webs.

It wasn't another mile when we found the cache, and rejoiced. That was the last one of the day, but we came back to the park the next day to grab a few more. Great place if you love spiders.

Funny I should happen on to this thread. My buddy El Nino De Tiburon were out last night caching around his house. There is a cool little park with a tiny beach where the cache is.

Well the cache is actually inside a very large bush where the inside of the said bush is quite spacious. The cache is inside a stump which is located directly in the middle of this bush.

When we arrived, there just happened to be a little muggle playing inside this bush. Well, the bush was dense enough that we couldn't see the kid but could hear her, so we waited for quite a while for the little muggle to wonder off to her dad who was about 50 meters away.

It was a good thing that we waited because when the muggle did come out, we realized that it was a little 4-5 y/o girl completely naked. Now, I should mention that my caching partners and I have a habit of capturing our caching adventures with digital cameras.

When this little muggle came out of the bush, we just out about pissed ourselves laughing. I mean, can you imgaine? My partner and I heading in to the bush with camera in hand and a naked little girls comes screaming out of the bush? Yikes!!!

Sorry dad! :laughing:

Well, recently I tackled a very difficult shelter hide. My first difficult hide attempt. Many people with 4 digit finds had a very rough time locating this little bugger - so I was determined!

Seemed to me that it might require a ladder. So on the second trip out I brought one with me.

I was up and down that thing a million times. Looking in every possible location.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a itty-bitty bat taking a nap in one of the rafters. I avoided his chosen camping spot. Didn't want to disturb the little fella.

Came up empty handed.

Went back an additional three or four times without the ladder. Racked up about 11 hours total searching.

The last time I went back, was able to bring a ladder, and found it!

Yay!

Why hadn't I seen it before?

Holy...

the BAT!

It was -directly- above where he'd been sleeping! I could even see the cache in one of the photos I'd taken of the little guy!

If he'd picked a different spot, I could have found it on my second try and looked like a caching wonder!

I would never dream of disturbing wildlife - but after this and one other attempt involving, what I can only assume, was a man eating spider, I'm convinced that critters guard caches. Beware! :(