Page Titles not useful anymore

Walker Boh

Hi all,

some time ago Groundspeak changed the overall cache description template. Before the change, the page title used to contain a very brief summary containing waypoint and cache name, being very useful for bookmarking pages using the browser's bookmark feature.

NOW the page title is VERY verbose, for example:

GC1408E - A Traditional Cache in Baden-Württemberg, Germany called Maria Bickesheim created by candela4

GC14409 - A Traditional Cache in Baden-Württemberg, Germany called Alela s Medizinweg created by Alela

In bookmarks, or worse in the browser's history this results in

GC1408E - A Traditional Cache in Ba

GC14409 - A Traditional Cache in Ba

Thus: every cache in the same state looks just the same, bookmarks or browser history isn't useful at all anymore :)

Can we vote to revert this change?

Groundspeak could leave the page title this verbose, but change the order. If the cache name came first, the problem would be far less severe:

GC1408E Maria Bickesheim - A Traditional Cache in Baden-Württemberg, Germany created by candela4

GC14409 Alela s Medizinweg - A Traditional Cache in Baden-Württemberg, Germany created by Alela

Opinions?

P.S. I'm posting this issue here, because Groundspeak support told me to :huh:

Hi all,

some time ago Groundspeak changed the overall cache description template. Before the change, the page title used to contain a very brief summary containing waypoint and cache name, being very useful for bookmarking pages using the browser's bookmark feature.

NOW the page title is VERY verbose, for example:

GC1408E - A Traditional Cache in Baden-Württemberg, Germany called Maria Bickesheim created by candela4

GC14409 - A Traditional Cache in Baden-Württemberg, Germany called Alela s Medizinweg created by Alela

In bookmarks, or worse in the browser's history this results in

GC1408E - A Traditional Cache in Ba

GC14409 - A Traditional Cache in Ba

Thus: every cache in the same state looks just the same, bookmarks or browser history isn't useful at all anymore :)

Can we vote to revert this change?

Groundspeak could leave the page title this verbose, but change the order. If the cache name came first, the problem would be far less severe:

GC1408E Maria Bickesheim - A Traditional Cache in Baden-Württemberg, Germany created by candela4

GC14409 Alela s Medizinweg - A Traditional Cache in Baden-Württemberg, Germany created by Alela

Opinions?

P.S. I'm posting this issue here, because Groundspeak support told me to :huh:

I see your point, but it is a non-issue for me.

If I want to bookmark a cache, I use the bookmarking feature on the site...not via my browser.

I vote for the OP's suggested alternative.

This has been discussed much before, and I've pretty much given up trying to convince Groundspeak to change it back. The titles were perfect for years, then suddenly Groundspeak verbosified them. Why?

At least we were able to shout down the short-lived "Description written by Xxxx" misfeature, (which never took into account adopted caches). So sometimes they do listen.

It has been changed once, since the "big change", to put the waypoint ID at the front. But I agree, it does read like a (bad) novel, with way to much extraneous text.

The current template is:

[waypoint-id] - A [cache-type] Cache in [state], [country] called [cache-name] created by [owner-name]

Much better would be:

[waypoint-id] ([cache-type]) - [cache-name] by [owner-name] in [state], [country]

Since most people are usually looking at local caches, this puts the least important information at the back, and the cache identifier info at the front.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I too would prefer to see some unique identifier earlier in the title of the cache web page making it easier to distinguish it from other nearby pages/tabs. For example, I use a web browser with tabs - so each tab looks the same - stating that its a GCXXXX - A "xyz type" cache in New Jersey, USA called "cache name". Seeing the unique GC codes is confising when I've got more than 2 or three listing up in seperate tabs. I agree that the positioning of the cache name should be immediately after the GC waypoint designation - not at the very end. You've got my vote!

:D:D:D

I believe that the page titles are also indexed by the google search on the main page. A more descriptive title or having information from the short description may help in a better indexed search. I have given up using the google search box to find anything about a cache. There have been caches that have wanted to search for based on the name, or unique phrases in the cache description... But no luck actually finding the cache page with the search...

Prime's got it right. If I took the first 50 characters of one of my caches right now it would read

GCNAQ5 - A Traditional Cache in Illinois, United S

With Prime's example, that would be:

GCNAQ5 (Traditional) - Thumb Thing Elth by Markwel

Heck I bet the types could be truncated to a seven or less characters: Trad, Multi, PrAPE, Unknwn, Ltrbx , Wherigo, Event, MegEvnt, CITO, EarthCa, AdvMaze. That would make the title:

GCNAQ5 (Trad) - Thumb Thing Elth by Markwell in Il, and one of Prime's recent caches would be

GC11EYW (Multi) - Step Lively by Prime Suspect in

I believe that the page titles are also indexed by the google search on the main page. A more descriptive title or having information from the short description may help in a better indexed search. I have given up using the google search box to find anything about a cache. There have been caches that have wanted to search for based on the name, or unique phrases in the cache description... But no luck actually finding the cache page with the search...

Maybe you're doing it wrong.

Here's a site-specific search for Geocaching.com for the words Scuba and that seemed to net caches that had scuba in the text, not necessarily just in the title bar.

Prime's got it right. If I took the first 50 characters of one of my caches right now it would read

GCNAQ5 - A Traditional Cache in Illinois, United S

With Prime's example, that would be:

GCNAQ5 (Traditional) - Thumb Thing Elth by Markwel

Heck I bet the types could be truncated to a seven or less characters: Trad, Multi, PrAPE, Unknwn, Ltrbx , Wherigo, Event, MegEvnt, CITO, EarthCa, AdvMaze. That would make the title:

GCNAQ5 (Trad) - Thumb Thing Elth by Markwell in Il, and one of Prime's recent caches would be

GC11EYW (Multi) - Step Lively by Prime Suspect in

Good idea, but do you need the parentheses?

GCNAQ5 Trad - Thumb Thing Elth by Markwell in Illi

Yep - and we could even use the standard abbreviations for the US states and Country since it seems that the bulk of the caches are in the US (also drop the " - " in favor of ", "

GCNAQ5 Trad, Thumb Thing Elth by Markwell in IL,US

Yep - and we could even use the standard abbreviations for the US states and Country since it seems that the bulk of the caches are in the US (also drop the " - " in favor of ", "

GCNAQ5 Trad, Thumb Thing Elth by Markwell in IL,US

Let's get rid of some of those nasty vowels, too.

GCNAQ5 Trd, Thmb Thng Elth, Mrkwll, IL,US

It has been changed once, since the "big change", to put the waypoint ID at the front. But I agree, it does read like a (bad) novel, with way to much extraneous text.

The current template is:

[waypoint-id] - A [cache-type] Cache in [state], [country] called [cache-name] created by [owner-name]

Much better would be:

[waypoint-id] ([cache-type]) - [cache-name] by [owner-name] in [state], [country]

Since most people are usually looking at local caches, this puts the least important information at the back, and the cache identifier info at the front.

This gets my vote - or any of the variations that follow (although I prefer vowels included :D)

Let's get rid of some of those nasty vowels, too.

GCNAQ5 Trd, Thmb Thng Elth, Mrkwll, IL,US

You missed one...

GCNQ5 Trd, Thmb Thng Elth, Mrkwll, IL,US :D

Well, if that's the rule, then you missed three:

GCNQ5 Trd, Thmb Thng lth, Mrkwll, L,S

I can do even better than that:

:D

Problem solved... for Firefox users. As for IE users, well. they've got their own set of problems. :D

Customize Browser Title script for Greasemonkey

20080716004939wv7.png

By default, it reformats the title into the form specified in my message a few messages above (no, not the one with the missing vowels). However, if you don't like that format, you can create your own. From the Tools menu, select Greasemonkey and then User Script Commands. Instructions are on the dialog box.

Also, the script changes the favicon of the cache page (that's the little icon in the location bar, and on the tab) from the generic Geocaching.com icon to the cache type icon. That means you can save a little more space, if you like, by removing the cache type from the text altogether, since you have the icon to tell you what type the cache is. You can turn this function on and off from the same menu group.

By default, it reformats the title into the form specified in my message a few messages above (no, not the one with the missing vowels). However, if you don't like that format, you can create your own. From the Tools menu, select Greasemonkey and then User Script Commands. Instructions are on the dialog box.

"User Script Commands" is greyed out for me. Am I missing something?

You either haven't installed the script, or you're not on a cache page. You only see menu items that pertain to any scripts that run for whatever URL you're currently on.

You either haven't installed the script, or you're not on a cache page. You only see menu items that pertain to any scripts that run for whatever URL you're currently on.

hmm, this is puzzling -- I thought I had installed it, since I don't currently see the standard ugly title; I see a nice one with the cache-type favicon and the cache name near the front. After reading your post I was going to edit it to remove the GC number from the title, but just now I looked and I see that it's not there after all -- all I have is exactly what I want; the icon and the cache name. No GC number, and none of the extraneous text either. Perhaps it is being done by some other Greasemonkey script, just not the particular one you linked to? Or maybe I have an older version of it.

My vote for an improvement would include difficulty and terrain in the title so I can make quick decisions when I am notified (via Blackberry) of a new cache.

GC1234 - A Traditional 1/1 cache called Walk in the Park by Cacher

would be a cache I would dash off to whereas

GC1234 - A Traditional 3/4 cache called Walk in the Park by Cacher

would be a good candidate for more research beyond grabbing coords from my blackberry.

Problem solved... for Firefox users. As for IE users, well. they've got their own set of problems. :D

20080716004939wv7.png

Also, the script changes the favicon of the cache page (that's the little icon in the location bar, and on the tab) from the generic Geocaching.com icon to the cache type icon. That means you can save a little more space, if you like, by removing the cache type from the text altogether, since you have the icon to tell you what type the cache is. You can turn this function on and off from the same menu group.

Beautiful!!! You rock. Loaded and I love it.

And I love that it's customizable, so I've chosen to change the icon and have the title be %name% by %owner%. That's all I need.

hmm, this is puzzling -- I thought I had installed it, since I don't currently see the standard ugly title; I see a nice one with the cache-type favicon and the cache name near the front. After reading your post I was going to edit it to remove the GC number from the title, but just now I looked and I see that it's not there after all -- all I have is exactly what I want; the icon and the cache name. No GC number, and none of the extraneous text either. Perhaps it is being done by some other Greasemonkey script, just not the particular one you linked to? Or maybe I have an older version of it.

Go to a cache page, let it load, then right-click on the Greasemonkey icon in the status bar. That will show what script are set to run for that URL. The ones that are active will be check-marked.

Remember, if you're not signed in, you won't see the options in the Tools/Greasemonkey/User Script Command menu. That's because the script preferences are keyed to your geocaching name, so different people using the same computer can have their own settings.

Go to a cache page, let it load, then right-click on the Greasemonkey icon in the status bar. That will show what script are set to run for that URL. The ones that are active will be check-marked.

Thanks, I never knew about that.

I checked it, and it appears I'm using a script called "Cache Title". I don't have the "Customize Browser Title" installed.

But I'm happy with "Cache Title", since it's exactly how I would end up customizing it myself :)

This is all great, but for those of us stuck on a work computer without Firefox, it does little to help the current situation.

Not everyone can use Greasemonkey scripts - and it would be nice to have fixes integrated into the actual site.

Exactly. I agree with you. Much better to fix the problem at the source than to have every user kludge something on their on browser. (Reminds me of the people who always suggest we use GSAK every time we ask that the chronological log issue be fixed.)

Much better to fix the problem at the source than to have every user kludge something on their on browser. (Reminds me of the people who always suggest we use GSAK every time we ask that the chronological log issue be fixed.)

The original page titles were far better in this tabbed browser world. You used to be able to tell what cache was in an unopened tab, but now you just get the GC# A Traditional ... For every tab. Useless. Why the verbose title is considered an improvement I don't know. The point of the title is to provide information to help the user and the new verbose form doesn't do that.

JD

Exactly. I agree with you. Much better to fix the problem at the source than to have every user kludge something on their on browser. (Reminds me of the people who always suggest we use GSAK every time we ask that the chronological log issue be fixed.)

Several of my scripts have had their functionality later incorporated into the site; log totals by type on cache pages, and decoding hints without reloading the page, to name two off the top of my head. It's much easier to show the usefulness of something when you can actually see it in practice, rather than as an abstract idea.

Just because you may not be able to take advantage of an immediate solution is no reason to begrudge it of others.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Several of my scripts have had their functionality later incorporated into the site; log totals by type on cache pages, and decoding hints without reloading the page, to name two off the top of my head. It's much easier to show the usefulness of something when you can actually see it in practice, rather than as an abstract idea.

Just because you may not be able to take advantage of an immediate solution is no reason to begrudge it of others.

Actually, I didn't think people wer begrudging them. I think its great that there is a work around and hopefully your ideas will get incorporated into the site.

I do think the site should make sure that its changes improve functionality rather than requiring work arounds to get back to what people want. I also think its good that you and others help the rest of us out when its needed.

JD

20080716004939wv7.png

That's super for those who want to take the time to set up their computer that way, but how about for regular people. The question at hand is if the site can be changed back, noy how can one do a workaround.

I vote for listing the cache name towards the front.

Sorry about that. Apparently the script I uploaded didn't contain the necessary change. It's been fixed. Just use the link from my previous message.

Woo hoo, I forgot about this until today. Everything works great now, I can customize as I want and I have the custom icons too.