frowned upon

village smithy

Ok, so I am a noob - only 1 cache to my name lol, and I have many questions but I chose just one for now. Why do some frown on night caching when the cache seems to be in open public locations? I don't want to upset anyone and make sure I play fair.

Its location may or may not allow night caching.

Cemeteries being one.

We have a local cache that is highly suggestive of a night cache. Its in an extreme muggle location and its better to try it after dark. Thus far I have logged a few DNF's and a few no logs because of muggles. No need to give up a great hide!

As the other poster mentioned ... it may be illegal (being in Cemetary after dark is against the law in most places) or it may run counter to posted hours (such as a park). It also could be a stipulation for placement of the cache (the land owner may have stipulated when it may be found -- for example, if someone places a cache in a residential neighborhood, searching for it at night could easily have you confused as being a burglar or other suspicious individual). We are playing a game and in an effort to keep those who participate safe as well as insure the community at-large that what we do is a wholesome and fun activity, no cache can encourage people to break the law.

There are caches that are available any time (owners are encouraged to place the 24/7 icon on them) and there are also caches which are specifically designed to be done after dark.

As the other poster mentioned ... it may be illegal (being in Cemetary after dark is against the law in most places) or it may run counter to posted hours (such as a park). It also could be a stipulation for placement of the cache (the land owner may have stipulated when it may be found -- for example, if someone places a cache in a residential neighborhood, searching for it at night could easily have you confused as being a burglar or other suspicious individual). We are playing a game and in an effort to keep those who participate safe as well as insure the community at-large that what we do is a wholesome and fun activity, no cache can encourage people to break the law.

There are caches that are available any time (owners are encouraged to place the 24/7 icon on them) and there are also caches which are specifically designed to be done after dark.

Thank you - makes perfect sense.

Lots of folk like to cache at night. It adds an element to the hunt not found in daylight.

Problem is that many areas have resrictions on available hours and many non-cachers don't care to see groups of flashlight toting strangers near thier property at 3am. Makes all cachers look bad. Night caching only really works in a small number of areas.

Thanks for all the posts - I can see everyones point - should have been pretty obvious to me, still learning though. I love the sport, and have the upmost respect for it and all who participate in it. Thank you again.

you're going to go far.

Its location may or may not allow night caching.

Cemeteries being one.

Cemeteries are probably the biggest no-no for night caching out there. Some states have laws prohibiting being in a cemetery at night, and some cemeteries have rules prohibiting it, and even if neither is the case, you'd be just asking for trouble. Jerks that like to go in at night and wreck up the place are the reason.

Also, most public parks close at dusk, and you could probably be arrested for trespassing after hours. Other than that, if it's in the middle of the woods, it's probably just fine to try at night.

crashco and i were once brought up short by the police when we were caching in a park in NH. it was winter and about 4:30 in the afternoon, which means it was dark out. the park entrance was over HERE while the sign that says the park closes at dark was over THERE.

the officer had to look for the sign a little with his light while he was asking us if we hadn't seen it.

well, no, we said. if it had been over here by the entrance...

nevermind that the caretaker had been standing havign a smoke under the NO SMOKING sign as he watched us go by. did he bother to tell us the park was closed? no. he just called the cops.

I remember being stopped while doing some night caching in the forest during an event. All was cool once we explained to the officer what we were doing. He explained that he thought we were a bunch of college kids getting ready to have a kegger. I could see his point after looking at about 30 of us running around in the middle of the night with flashlights, but I am sure that after a second look he noticed that we were all to old and had to many miles on us for that. Not that we couldn't put down a few, but I'm pretty sure that college was way behind all of us.

:)