Garmin Oregon Wiki

The smallest type on the Oregon display is the legalese. At least with UTM coordinates, the next smallest type is the location!

Not only is the location very hard to read, you can only find it in one place, the rather cluttered satellite page.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Oregon had a page (which could have different-sized fields) onto which the user could put any information from any other page? Kind of a "home page". Perhaps you could even display time in seconds. It is a pity to own what is almost a portable atomic clock that only tells time in minutes.

Agreed about the size of the type.

But, you can customize the data fields on any of the existing screens, including the Map, Compass and Trip Computer screens - and you can configure any of those fields to show the current coordinates in standard format or in the selected Position Format. The trip computer makes a good place to set a bunch of data fields that you want to commonly see - kind of like your "home page" concept. It doesn't make it any more readable, but makes it more easily accessible.

BTW, I find it odd that the default setting on the OR for "Setup->Map->Show data fields" is "Never" in the geocaching profile. The first thing I'd do when I get an OR (I had one and then got a replacement so I've broken in 2 now) is to change this setting to "When navigating" and then configure the fields to show data I'd like to see when hunting a geocache (like distance to Dest at least). The default setup that the units I got had out of the box just wasn't very helpful for geocaching...

Edited by flarbear

I am out the door to walk in a Labor Day parade so I can not read everything on this topic. I have skimmed through this topic and the Wiki page the best I could. I am returning my Colorado 400t to REI tomorrow. Should I opt for the Oregon 400t or go repurchase a 60csx.

It depends on why you are returning the CO. Since this is REI, it would be worth getting the OR as a replacement to try it out - you can always return that as well. The paperless geocaching is even better on the OR and its accuracy seems to have fewer issues. I've never used a 60csx, but I am perfectly happy with my OR (then again, I was happy with my CO until I used the OR) - maybe I'm just a victim of "ignorance is bliss", but please don't educate me in that case... :blink:

Edited by flarbear

I've been using the Oregon for several weeks now, and went geocaching for the first time with it this last weekend. I think its accuracy is better than my 76CS, but there are a few things that frustrate me. I have taken note of the new firmware that was released recently, and will upgrade that tonight. However, here are some issues that I had:

1. Using the automotive profile, on my 76CS it would allow me to search "Exits" and would show me upcoming exits on the highway I was on and their services. On the Oregon, it lets me search for "Fuel Services" or "Food" or whatever, but it gives me results in every direction, most of which are useless. Am I missing something, or has this feature been overlooked?

2. The compass seems to need calibrated every single time its used. I believe this was a similar problem with my 76CS, but was hoping it would be fixed. Why does it require calibration so often, even as often as every stage of a multi-cache (sometimes with less than 30 minutes in between)? Am I doing something wrong?

3. I can't edit a geocache, nor can I hand-enter a geocache for multi-caching. We did a geocache this last weekend with 13 stages. I created a waypoint for each stage, but they are not listed as "Geocaches", even when I assign it the type with the treasure chest icon. What if I want to hand-enter a geocache rather than download the GPX file?

4. I have not figured out how to delete or edit a geocache yet. What happens when I near the 2000 mark?

I think one of my biggest frustrations was the compass requiring calibration so frequently. My dad was using his 76CS to find a cache while I'm standing in the middle of the woods spinning in circles. Is this a common problem?

That and editing coordinates. I'm hoping that screen has been improved in the new software version.

All I can say is that REI rocks! I just returned my Colorado 400t and exchanged it for an Oregon 400t. I had the Colorado for six months and they took it back, no questions, no problems. I am now trying to enjoy my brand spanking new Oregon.

Would love to hear of any screen brightness/readability differences you note between the CO and OR screens please?

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has "created" an external 5 V portable source to increase the backlight intensity of either the CO or OR and used it in full sunlight and/or poor viewing conditions? Is it worth it? My theory says yes.

i joined the club tonight. after being so thoroughly disgusted with my Colorado while out geocaching yesterday, i decided to take the plunge. Took my Colorado 400t to REI and swapped it for a brand new Oregon 400t.

so far, it seems ok, but i already found a problem. So on the way home from REI i stop and pick up a 4gb microSDhc card (this is correct?) i had the gps on while driving home and discovered my plug from the Colorado (not made by Garmin, but some other aftermarkey company) worked just fine in the Oregon. I get home, and pop in the microSD card and some batteries, then decided to plug it in to the computer (mac) to make a complete backup of it before i even start playing with it (worth the 2 hour effort to save a week of downtime or so later!!).

well, the thing crashes when i plug the cable in at the connected screen!!

ok...i figure it's a bug, and decided to take out the batteries and the SD card since they are the only variables i have at the moment.

plug it back it, and it loads right up.

So...

either I bought the wrong card (i should be able to use a 4gb MicroSDhc card, correct? There is no such thing as a 4gb SDcard that is NOT an SDHC...correct?

Once the backup is completed, I will update the oregon from the Garmin page...and see if i still have that issue with the connecting and the card.

It's going to be weird getting used to a gps with no buttons again! But I am hopeful that this Oregon will be better than my just 'ok' Colorado.

EDIT!!

OK, so after the backup, i went to the Garmin page and discovered my Oregon came loaded with 2.2 software. I uploaded to 2.3.

then, after i made sure it turned on again, i loaded in the SD memory card again and connected it to the computer, and voila! no problems...loaded right up.

Also, i noticed a new file i haven't seen before, (not on the Colorado at least), gmaptz.img - and was wondering what that was?

Edited by mightywarlock

either I bought the wrong card (i should be able to use a 4gb MicroSDhc card, correct? There is no such thing as a 4gb SDcard that is NOT an SDHC...correct?

I know this didn't end up being the problem you had and a little off-topic, but actually there are a few 4GB regular SD cards that are getting scarcer and scarcer. I know because I use one in my regular-SD camera. They were hit and miss as far as compatibility goes - it depended on whether or not your device would expect a certain field in the FAT FileSystem structure to go as high as they were setting it or not - but they did work in an SD-only device as long as the software was written flexibly.

Now that the SDHC standard is out and in widespread use these regular 4GB SD cards are disappearing. Luckily I only needed the one...

Oregon 400t

Colorado 400t + City Navigator NA maps

Nuvi 200

Bit OT but if you would indulge me . . .

I notice from your sig that you own both a Nuvi and a Oregon. If you would, please compare the sunlight display useability with no BL of the Nuvi and the OR.

I have a Nuvi 205W, I love the touchscreen but I find the display totally unreadable in sunlight w/o BL, whereas my eTrex is great.

Thanks

Oregon 400t

Nuvi 200

I notice from your sig that you own both a Nuvi and a Oregon. If you would, please compare the sunlight display useability with no BL of the Nuvi and the OR.

I have a Nuvi 205W, I love the touchscreen but I find the display totally unreadable in sunlight w/o BL, whereas my eTrex is great.

Thanks

Do this with what you remember about the CO too please.

Oregon 400t

Nuvi 200

Thanks

Do this with what you remember about the CO too please.

I don't need to remember - I still have all 3. I'm a bit buried under work so I'm not sure when I'll next have them all together in daylight to do the comparison (hopefully I won't get around to returning the CO until I do).

I do remember tilting the CO just right to catch the reflected light and then you couldn't tell if the backlight was on or off as the reflected light drowned it out. The OR is also very visible if you catch the reflected light with it, but I don't remember if it is better or worse than the CO, or how they compare using their backlights and not using reflected light.

I haven't used the Nuvi very much at all (bought it for a song to use as a travel rental car navigator).

1. Using the automotive profile, on my 76CS it would allow me to search "Exits" and would show me upcoming exits on the highway I was on and their services. On the Oregon, it lets me search for "Fuel Services" or "Food" or whatever, but it gives me results in every direction, most of which are useless. Am I missing something, or has this feature been overlooked?

Nope, exit services aren't supported by the OR or CO.

2. The compass seems to need calibrated every single time its used. I believe this was a similar problem with my 76CS, but was hoping it would be fixed. Why does it require calibration so often, even as often as every stage of a multi-cache (sometimes with less than 30 minutes in between)? Am I doing something wrong?

The compass shouldn't need to be calibrated that much. I calibrate when I change batteries or move long distances, basically anytime the magnetic field affecting the compass might change. For me it was very similar with the 60cs, 60csx, OR and CO -- the compasses all work about the same and require the same amount of calibration. If you have to calibrate more frequently than the battery changes the unit might be defective.

3. I can't edit a geocache, nor can I hand-enter a geocache for multi-caching. We did a geocache this last weekend with 13 stages. I created a waypoint for each stage, but they are not listed as "Geocaches", even when I assign it the type with the treasure chest icon. What if I want to hand-enter a geocache rather than download the GPX file?

4. I have not figured out how to delete or edit a geocache yet. What happens when I near the 2000 mark?

You can't add, edit or delete geocaches on the CO. If you need to add something in the field you'll need to use waypoints.

That and editing coordinates. I'm hoping that screen has been improved in the new software version.

This hasn't changed in 2.3 but I agree it could be improved.

GO$Rs

Nope, exit services aren't supported by the OR or CO.

Is there a feature request? I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to implement something like that, and that is one feature while driving I used to use ALL the time.

The compass shouldn't need to be calibrated that much. I calibrate when I change batteries or move long distances, basically anytime the magnetic field affecting the compass might change. For me it was very similar with the 60cs, 60csx, OR and CO -- the compasses all work about the same and require the same amount of calibration. If you have to calibrate more frequently than the battery changes the unit might be defective.

I just put new lithium batteries in it and will try using the compass more. I certainly hope its not a problem with the unit, but will post results when I have time to test.

You can't add, edit or delete geocaches on the CO. If you need to add something in the field you'll need to use waypoints.

Hmm, so if I happen to forget my USB cable or am using a computer without the garmin development kit, its impossible to create new geocaches? Does anyone else think this is a flaw?

This hasn't changed in 2.3 but I agree it could be improved.

GO$Rs

I haven't tested this in 2.4 either, but if there is a feedback location, I would provide that as a request too. I can't believe how horrible the interface is, with 7/8 of the screen still empty.

Thanks for your responses.

gnj

I've been playing around with my new Oregon for a day now and have come across a few interesting things:

If you in the "panned map" mode, and North Up is not set, you can immediately (and temporarily) switch to North Up by tapping on the north arrow at the top left corner. Very useful.

I've found the most usable combination for geocaches is using the Colorado GPX macro from GSAK (WITHOUT child waypoints) and then outputting the child waypoints using the Custom POI macro I still have set up for my 60CSx.

Playing around with this, I noticed that when the zoom level detail settings are set to auto for both map points and user waypoints, items in a Custom POI database have the same threshold as map POIs -- e.g., 80m for the area where I was testing.

HOWEVER, if you change these settings, then Custom POIs appear at the threshold set for user waypoints -- not map points. A bit unexpected, but quite welcome for what I'm doing with it.

I am on the east coast visiting family in NY, and have been doing a ton of caching with my Oregon 400t, and i have a couple of issues.

1st, not once since buying it have I noticed any WAAS working.

2nd, i know this is a weird issue, but i always seem to be just slightly off from the caches...

in upstate NY, under a lot of tree cover, i am consistently 15-20ft off from every cache. unsure if it has to do with my gps, or the person who placed it however, but it seems the same almost every time i am under trees.

3rd, the topo maps and tracks...they hardly ever seem to match up.

The Oregon is getting me close, and then i have to look real hard to find the caches...but just wondering how we are doing with Garmin and the WAAS situation?

very hard to find caches when you never get past 23-30 ft accuracy in the woods.

Can anyone tell me how to add your own coordinates to the 300? Still learning.

Use Mark Waypoint>Save and Edit>Change Location and edit the location of the waypoint to the coordinates you want.

GO$Rs

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! This will be a huge help tomorrow.

I posted this question/issue in another thread, but thought I'd add it here:

Received my Oregon 300 three days ago and have had this issue occur on 10 out of 10 caches since - As I approach the cache, the approach notification comes on. After hitting 'OK' and returning to the map or compass screen, the receiver's orientation locks up. Distance to the cache continues to count down (inaccurately due to the loss of orientation), however, the blue arrow and purple indicator on the map screen, and the azimuth on the compass are frozen. Each time this has occurred, I have had to power off/on the unit, locate the cache again, and 'Go,' which does the trick.

Has anyone else experienced this, or any thoughts on a solution?

I noticed something that COULD have been this tonight (compass/heading frozen while at ground zero, although I think distance to cache was also stuck), but at the time I chalked it up to the batteries being very low, and since I was next to where the hint indicated I wasn't really paying attention to the compass. It started to work again a minute later -- I did not have to cycle power.

How well do touch screens work in the cold/ wet/ dirty/ ect.?

For me, that is a big question too. The OR feels very solid, I really like the construction and think that Garmin did a much better job than the CO. Looking at the physical design I would say that this unit will stand a much better chance of keeping water out. The seal is very solid and the cover over the USB port is very good.

However, time will tell how the screen does in the dirt, rain, ice and snow. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to use this with gloves on. 60-70% of it, yes, but some of the finer touch screen selections would be difficult.

GO$Rs

These caught my eye while perusing CNET's Crave Blog

Hmm, so if I happen to forget my USB cable or am using a computer without the garmin development kit, its impossible to create new geocaches? Does anyone else think this is a flaw?

No, i don't.

And you don't need any 'garmin development kit' to mount it. It's a standard USB drive.

It might be 'nice' to be able to create geocaches manually but i don't see it as critical. Waypoints work fine.