Garmin Oregon Wiki

I have not gotten a D for any sats on mine ever, even after having the unit on for over 2 hours. And although I've gotten a bar for 48 and 51 its never been locked (ie. green). I am pretty much getting a bunch of nonsense from the Garmin customer service folks now. I would hope they are working to fix it but who knows. I'll hang on a little longer and give them a chance, but at some point I'll have to consider sending it back to the place I bought it.

I'll apologize in advance if these are dumb questions... Did you set the GPS mode to WAAS? If you're done a reset since then, did you remember to set it back? Are you on the latest firmware? Are you sure? I loaded the latest firmware but it didn't 'take' for some reason. I didn't realize it until I checked a few days later. Had to load it again and this time it 'stuck' good. Are you inside a faraday cage? Are your batteries good? Have you tried a reset (make sure to turn WAAS back on if it resets itself)? Have you tried a 'hard' reset?

If you still have your old GPSr handy, have you left them both to 'settle' for 20 minutes or so and then compared coordinates? Are they close? This would indicate that at least the antenna and software knows what it is doing.

Just trying to eliminate sources of potential issues.

Did you set the GPS mode to WAAS? Yes and verified while testing

If you're done a reset since then, did you remember to set it back? Yes, and I have noticed the Oregon likes to reset itself often.

Are you on the latest firmware? Are you sure? Yes, I verified on the info screen that the new firmware version 2.2 did take.

Are you inside a faraday cage? No, open and clear skies with no obstructions except for a 15ft pear tree in my front yard which I don't think counts ;) .

Are your batteries good? Batteries are good (full) PowerEx 2700 mah

Have you tried a reset (make sure to turn WAAS back on if it resets itself)? Have you tried a 'hard' reset?

What is the procedure for a hard reset on this unit, I only know how to do that on the 60CSx

If you still have your old GPSr handy, have you left them both to 'settle' for 20 minutes or so and then compared coordinates? Are they close? Somewhat

This would indicate that at least the antenna and software knows what it is doing.

Thanks for the suggestions.... I appreciate any help I can get!! ;) I've got less than a week now before I need to decide if I can take this unit on vacation with me (or return it for another model) so I can get back to geocaching.

Cool! But I pre-ordered mine at GPSMart.ca, at 460$ CAN instead of 500$

That is interesting, because Garmin has mandated a minimum allowable sale price of $499. Let us know if you get it. It will be interesting to see how long they are allowed to sell Garmin products...... No mailing address... Not the place I'd be sending my credit card info.

Edited by Red90

If you're done a reset since then, did you remember to set it back? Yes, and I have noticed the Oregon likes to reset itself often.

Are you inside a faraday cage? No, open and clear skies with no obstructions except for a 15ft pear tree in my front yard which I don't think counts ;) .

Are your batteries good? Batteries are good (full) PowerEx 2700 mah

Have you tried a reset (make sure to turn WAAS back on if it resets itself)? Have you tried a 'hard' reset?

What is the procedure for a hard reset on this unit, I only know how to do that on the 60CSx

Thanks for the suggestions.... I appreciate any help I can get!! ;) I've got less than a week now before I need to decide if I can take this unit on vacation with me (or return it for another model) so I can get back to geocaching.

I would blame the pear tree. The OR reacts poorly to pitted fruit. Try somewhere where are citrus trees...

Seriously, if yours if resetting itself, that's weird. Did you specify your battery type (>>Setup >>System >>Battery Type) to nimh?

To do a hard reset, press and hold on the top left corner of the screen while starting the unit. Hold that spot, and you should get a dialog about resetting the unit.

hth,

Wes

Cool! But I pre-ordered mine at GPSMart.ca, at 460$ CAN instead of 500$

That is interesting, because Garmin has mandated a minimum allowable sale price of $499. Let us know if you get it. It will be interesting to see how long they are allowed to sell Garmin products...... No mailing address... Not the place I'd be sending my credit card info.

Minimum of 499 ???? In Quebec, you can buy it at 470$ here https://catalogue.horizonsnordsud.com/produ...422-Oregon_300/ and this store is really reliable!

g-o-cashers, has anyone asked the $64,000 question yet?

If you had to choose one or t'other, which would it be Or or Co?

Also regarding the text entry, being a competent typist (although not as good as hemmingway) I loathe and detest keyboards in alphabetical order, how hard can it be to have a setup choice configurable as qwerty?

I got 13 FT of Accuracy with my Oregon today WITHOUT a WAAS satelite locking on!

I only had my GPS on for about 3 minutes!

If I can figure out how to post a picture on this site, I'll upload 2 screenshots from my Oregon.

Edited by BetaMan

I finally had a chance to play with one of these in a store and I'm impressed. Don't think I'll switch over from my 60CSx until the bugs are worked out and the price drops.

Does anyone know what Ripoffs/U.S. Armor brand pouch works best for the Oregon series? Since there's no external antenna there should be a number of velcro flap pouches that will more or less fit the Oregon.

Also regarding the text entry, being a competent typist (although not as good as hemmingway) I loathe and detest keyboards in alphabetical order, how hard can it be to have a setup choice configurable as qwerty?

I'll add the 60csx to the mix because there are still times when I go looking for that unit. When I go out here's roughly how it breaks out.

OR: 70%. For most of my geocaching where I can live with the accuracy of the OR (which isn't great), just about all of my hiking, all of my biking and all of my driving I use the OR because the touch screen makes it so easy to use -- especially for geocaching, biking and driving. After living with it for several weeks and with some optimization on the Main Menu I can get around very fast and I'm really starting to take advantage of the text entry in the field. Also on the bike the OR is much easier to use. I've learned to live with the dim screen by turning off the relief shading when it is bright outside (I have a "Bright Sun" profile).

CO: 20%. I still take the CO with me geocaching sometimes and almost always have it as a backup. If it isn't having a drift event its accuracy is better than the OR. Screen brightness is better but not enough that I would take it over the OR in most cases. This might change during the winter months depending on the performance of the touch screen with gloves, snow, ice, etc. I can see the CO being my foul weather GPS, but the OR has been good enough in the rain that I haven't had to use the CO yet.

60csx: 10% There are still cases like yesterday when I was hunting multiple locations in dense forest that I just brought out the 60csx because of its location stability, while the CO was off on one of its drifts and the OR was wondering around the 60csx was solid. If Garmin can fix the CO drift issue I can see getting rid of the need for the 60csx because much of the time the CO works just as well, I just can't trust it yet. I'm worried about the OR ever getting to this level of stability, but I'm hopeful.

I got 13 FT of Accuracy with my Oregon today WITHOUT a WAAS satelite locking on!

Same here, I was on a wide open lake and I saw an accuracy of 14 feet and I was shocked. At least around here I'm surprised whenever I see accuracy in the teens and low twenties.

Left my Oregon 300 on with 100% BL. It took six and a half hours before the batteries were empty. (2700 mAh NiMH rechargeable)

How did you get hold of a 300 already?

It was available in Europe this week or last.

Some shots from Poland: http://www.garniak.pl/viewtopic.php?t=3687

GO$Rs

I had a pretty bad geocaching experience with the Oregon yesterday. I found multiple flukes in the software, one significant. It seems, atleast in my unit, that it doesn't always like to re-route to off road. I had an instance yesterday where it cost me going after a cache bacause after 20 minutes sitting idle on the trail turning it off and on, and other various resets I still could not get it to change from street routing. To me that's a BIG flaw. I have to believe it had something to do with the accuracy which was an abismal +/- 35 almost consistently. When I got out from under the trees (not really that many considering this was a clearcut trail) and back into the car it did better re routing. So my lesson yesterday was I must be able to do all geocaching from my car.

With my week vacation coming next week I am really close to sending this back and getting a CSx to replace the 60 I broke. Not nearly as much time as I would like to make a decision.

Edited by Patuxent Pirates

Position Marker?

On my eTrex, when I use the cursor, the position marker dissappears. However, on the Nuvi, using my finger to reposition the map, the position marker (Vehicle) does not dissapear. What happens on the Oregon and Colorado with regard to the Position Marker?

Here's some Position Marker examples from Above the Timber's website:

VenableCabin.gif

PosiPointer4516.gif

Thanks

I'll add the 60csx to the mix because there are still times when I go looking for that unit. When I go out here's roughly how it breaks out.

OR: 70%. For most of my geocaching where I can live with the accuracy of the OR (which isn't great), just about all of my hiking, all of my biking and all of my driving I use the OR because the touch screen makes it so easy to use -- especially for geocaching, biking and driving. After living with it for several weeks and with some optimization on the Main Menu I can get around very fast and I'm really starting to take advantage of the text entry in the field. Also on the bike the OR is much easier to use. I've learned to live with the dim screen by turning off the relief shading when it is bright outside (I have a "Bright Sun" profile).

CO: 20%. I still take the CO with me geocaching sometimes and almost always have it as a backup. If it isn't having a drift event its accuracy is better than the OR. Screen brightness is better but not enough that I would take it over the OR in most cases. This might change during the winter months depending on the performance of the touch screen with gloves, snow, ice, etc. I can see the CO being my foul weather GPS, but the OR has been good enough in the rain that I haven't had to use the CO yet.

60csx: 10% There are still cases like yesterday when I was hunting multiple locations in dense forest that I just brought out the 60csx because of its location stability, while the CO was off on one of its drifts and the OR was wondering around the 60csx was solid. If Garmin can fix the CO drift issue I can see getting rid of the need for the 60csx because much of the time the CO works just as well, I just can't trust it yet. I'm worried about the OR ever getting to this level of stability, but I'm hopeful.

Same here, I was on a wide open lake and I saw an accuracy of 14 feet and I was shocked. At least around here I'm surprised whenever I see accuracy in the teens and low twenties.

Left my Oregon 300 on with 100% BL. It took six and a half hours before the batteries were empty. (2700 mAh NiMH rechargeable)

GO$Rs

I read in a Norwegian forum that a guy had bought it in a shop in Oslo called Malfix. I made the ten minute drive, walked into the tiny shop, and asked the only person who worked there if he had the Oregon 300. "Of course!", he said. "I have had it for about two weeks..!" I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I had preordered it from tigergps, but was able to cancel without any problems. In a way this makes sense, because Europeans have no use for the pre-installed North American maps on the 400-models, and in order to protect European retailers from American competition, it's probably a good idea to give those selling these type of products a head start, especially because of the weak dollar, and the fact that European and American 300-models are identical with all languages and a world base map available.

Hi,

I have some impressions regarding tracklog accuracy between the 60CSx and the Oregon 400t at the site below:

http://gps.wmsar.info/

I plan to run more tests this week to help me decide if I can live with the Oregon 400t, or if it is going back! The two things holding me back from returning it immediately is the DEM maps and the touchscreen. Either way, I'll update the site above with whatever else I learn.

P.S. I also encountered a number of crashes when connecting the unit to my computer via USB. It would crash after it archived the current.gpx data. I had freshly charged batteries in the unit (PowerEx 2700) and nothing in the microSD slot. My tracklog wasn't full, so I really don't know why it crashed, but I had to pull/re-insert the batteries to recover.

P.S.S. I almost came face-to-face with a mountain lion as I was out comparing the Oregon with the 60CSx. I should have listened to my dog since he wanted to leave the area immediately....

Regards,

J

Edited by jmedlock
Hi,

I have some impressions regarding tracklog accuracy between the 60CSx and the Oregon 400t at the site below:

http://gps.wmsar.info/

I plan to run more tests this week to help me decide if I can live with the Oregon 400t, or if it is going back! The two things holding me back from returning it immediately is the DEM maps and the touchscreen. Either way, I'll update the site above with whatever else I learn.

Regards,

J

After the problems I had with signal and routing this weekend I am sorry to say the Oregon went back to TigerGPS today. Back to the ole 60CSx for me. I'll revisit this in a year once the kinks are worked out.

Did some geocaching yesterday for the first time with the Oregon and it worked out fine but I have a question, when you find a geocache and mark it found it lets you add a comment, where does the comment show up ?

If you upload "Field Notes" to geocaching.com to log your finds (whcih is awesome) the comment will be in the log box for the cache. I write something small like "gd hide, lft coin" then write out the whole comment onto the log.

Did some geocaching yesterday for the first time with the Oregon and it worked out fine but I have a question, when you find a geocache and mark it found it lets you add a comment, where does the comment show up ?

If you upload "Field Notes" to geocaching.com to log your finds (whcih is awesome) the comment will be in the log box for the cache. I write something small like "gd hide, lft coin" then write out the whole comment onto the log.

This is the geocache_visits.txt file, located on the GPSr, that wavesprite is talking about - one of the killer features of the Colorado/Oregon units.

I just got off the chat window from a GPS company that also likes frosted flakes. Here is what was said:

Me: Hello, I am wondering if there is a new ship/release date for the Garmin Oregon 300? Thanks in advance!

Dude: release date is 11/03/08

Me: As in November, no longer in the beginning of August like the description states?

Brandon: that is correct

Dude: If you were to purchase now your wait time would extend into November

Me: Is that because you guys have a crazy back order on them, but the unit will be released by Garmin before hand. As is people who ordered them in July may get them in a couple of weeks or no one will get them until November? I hear there are some people in Europe who have them in hand already.

Dude: nope, this is across the board, Garmin has been having trouble filling orders so now they do it in batches, those who purchase in jury and onward will be on the list for Nov. batches

Thanks brings me to my next Question:

There is some one selling the Oregon 400T for ~$520 on Amazon ("This Item Ships same Day!! Brand New Full Factory Warranty") is that deal to good to be true?

I just got off the chat window from a GPS company that also likes frosted flakes. Here is what was said:

Me: Hello, I am wondering if there is a new ship/release date for the Garmin Oregon 300? Thanks in advance!

Dude: release date is 11/03/08

Me: As in November, no longer in the beginning of August like the description states?

Brandon: that is correct

Dude: If you were to purchase now your wait time would extend into November

Me: Is that because you guys have a crazy back order on them, but the unit will be released by Garmin before hand. As is people who ordered them in July may get them in a couple of weeks or no one will get them until November? I hear there are some people in Europe who have them in hand already.

Dude: nope, this is across the board, Garmin has been having trouble filling orders so now they do it in batches, those who purchase in jury and onward will be on the list for Nov. batches

Thanks brings me to my next Question:

There is some one selling the Oregon 400T for ~$520 on Amazon ("This Item Ships same Day!! Brand New Full Factory Warranty") is that deal to good to be true?

Oregon 300 in stock here http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/oregon-300.html

Just an update on my Oregon 400t. I've been caching with it now for about three weeks and have had no issues whatever with the unit. Have now found seventy caches with it and the Oregon has been very accurate in getting me to ground zero quickly. The touchscreen is great, very fast to get around with. I have no problem with reading the screen in the bright sunlight at all. I'm running background light at about 30%. The screen readability is not an issue. I've only used the unit for geocaching which is why I bought it. This is the sixth gps that I've owned and it is by far the most easy and usable unit that I've owned.

GO$Rs

Ok, for the 65,000 dollar question. I'm in the market and I'm either gonna buy a Colorado or the Oregon. I have no place to check out the Oregon, so I'm looking for any help I can get. Which one should I get. I'm not looking at the 60csx (I'm a sucker for graphics :lol: ).

Well, we had a Colorado since March, bought from REI, we had asked at the Garmin event whether touch screen handhelds were in the near future, the answer was no. :lol:

When we heard about the Oregon, the Colorado went back in the box and was returned. The Oregon is sweet! The touchscreen is so much nicer then the rocker roller (IMO), the menu's are nice, and I like that you can personalize each menu the way you like it (in profiles). Our accuracy hasn't been a problem yet, but we've only went for a couple caches with it.

Oh and at REI the Co and Or are both the same exact price.

GO$Rs

Ok, for the 65,000 dollar question. I'm in the market and I'm either gonna buy a Colorado or the Oregon. I have no place to check out the Oregon, so I'm looking for any help I can get. Which one should I get. I'm not looking at the 60csx (I'm a sucker for graphics :lol: ).

I have a few ? about the Oregon 400t which I own. Has anyone figured out a way to reset odometer without having to go all the way back to settings? I wish there was just a way to reset it from the dashboard.

Anyone have any idea when new software update will be? I talked to Garmin yesterday and the guy I talked to acted like it was already out and that the Waas problem "waas" to be fixed in the newest update. Anyone else hear of that?

I asked about proximity circles and he said that he thought they were added to the latest release of the Colorado and should probably be added to the Oregon in a future update.

The one feature this thing really needs is waypoint averaging. I don't understand why they neglected to put it on their latest and greatest gps's. I was told by one tech that the accuracy being better in the Colorado made it so that there was no need for an average tool. Ha!

My temp fix for the waas is to toggle waas off then back on to activate the waas satallite. It seems to work for me.

Also, I was trying to figure out how to project a waypoint. I called and the same tech from above was stumped. It is also not in the manual. He asked a supervisor and you project a waypoint by going to mark a waypoint, save and edit, then by selecting the project waypoint at the bottom of the menu list-pretty cool. I could not find it because no other Garmin I have seen does it like that!

As a side note: I had the 60csx, I had the Colorado. I am a true believer that the Oregon is way better than the other two. It might have a few issues that can be worked out. But the user interface is so awesome. It is a joy to use. I might end up getting another GPS for accuracy if it comes to that but the features on the Oregon are very cool and so easy to use. It is a true shame that accuracy is an issue. I wonder why.

Pop quiz to all you Oregon users out there. What feature is missing from the Oregon that almost every Garmin GPSr has had all the way back to the eMap days. It is located on Nuvis and even the colorado had it but it is not and will not be on the Oregon.

Any takers?

Buttons? hahahahahaah

Anyone have any idea when new software update will be? I talked to Garmin yesterday and the guy I talked to acted like it was already out and that the Waas problem "waas" to be fixed in the newest update. Anyone else hear of that?

As a side note: I had the 60csx, I had the Colorado. I am a true believer that the Oregon is way better than the other two. It might have a few issues that can be worked out. But the user interface is so awesome. It is a joy to use. I might end up getting another GPS for accuracy if it comes to that but the features on the Oregon are very cool and so easy to use. It is a true shame that accuracy is an issue. I wonder why.

I spoke with Garmin tech support countless times last week about the accuracy issue and I can tell you that the only thing which was similar between them was that they all said that there was NO pending firmware update showing up for the Oregon units. According to one person at Garmin, they are aware there is an issue with WAAS, but are still testing to understand why. He made it sound like it could be a while before they figure it out and issue a fix. I really saw the full effect of the poor accuracy this past weekend when it began to impact other things like the ability to recalculate a route for offroad or when it would not put any arrow or distance on the compass for the cache I was after.

I now have a new 60CSx by my side which works well as I would expect, but I have a real lack of any enjoyment of having this unit knowing that "better" technology is out there. I had to make a decision and go backwards for the sake of my geocaching sanity (what little I have left). My techno geek side is so completely unsatisfied.

:lol:

The one feature this thing really needs is waypoint averaging. I don't understand why they neglected to put it on their latest and greatest gps's. I was told by one tech that the accuracy being better in the Colorado made it so that there was no need for an average tool. Ha!

I'm not convinced that waypoint averaging is needed on the Oregon. See the picture below where I stopped to talk with friends for about 15 minutes. The 60CSx wandered, whereas the Oregon track stayed put. The Oregon s/w must somehow realize (better than 60CSx) that it is stationary and discard redundant trackpoints. I would think the same logic would apply to waypoints and waypoint averaging (but maybe I'm smoking crack and am wrong).

comp_ec_1secTrack_noWAAS_sample5.jpg

In case there is any confusion: I'm not suggesting that the accuracy of the Oregon is better than the 60CSx. I'm still not convinced one way or the other (even thought the tracklog above is one example showing the 60CSx outperforming the Oregon).

I asked about proximity circles and he said that he thought they were added to the latest release of the Colorado and should probably be added to the Oregon in a future update.

Nah, the latest Colorado s/w doesn't have this. Maybe the next version will?

Also, I was trying to figure out how to project a waypoint.

Be careful since there is a bug and the "Current.gpx" may get corrupt data in the "<desc>" field of the waypoint you projected. You can delete the projected waypoint to correct it, else edit the "Current.gpx" file and remove the garbage characters.

Regards

Edited by jmedlock

Also, I was trying to figure out how to project a waypoint. I called and the same tech from above was stumped. It is also not in the manual. He asked a supervisor and you project a waypoint by going to mark a waypoint, save and edit, then by selecting the project waypoint at the bottom of the menu list-pretty cool.

Then you have to enter a bearing. WTF?!

I may have found a new bug. I prepped for an out and back hike the other day, creating a route with some waypoints at anticipated trail junctions (locations taken from USGS quads).

In the field, as often happens, the trail junction locations weren't where I had them marked. I used Reposition Waypoint to change them to the correct location. So far, so good.

But the original route waypoints still showed on the map, along with the new ones with the same name. I should have looked in Waypoint Manager to see if both showed up there but I didn't think to.

On the return trip, the distance to next was calculated on the basis of the original waypoints. I don't remember this behavior on my 60CSX or other units.

When I got home, the repositioned waypoints were on the unit, but not the old ones.

Anyone care to try and replicate this?

And we (Oregon users) also have a barometer bug (similar to the colorado), in essence, it doesn't work when the GPS is shut down.

When I ran a test with mine several weeks ago it seemed to work. Although given the problems with this on the CO it might work on some OR's and not others.

GO$Rs

And we (Oregon users) also have a barometer bug (similar to the colorado), in essence, it doesn't work when the GPS is shut down.

When I ran a test with mine several weeks ago it seemed to work. Although given the problems with this on the CO it might work on some OR's and not others.

GO$Rs

Could be it’s hardware issue, although I personally think it’s a software problem considering the hardware (the pressure sensor in this case) works just fine on both the Colorado and the Oregon with the GPS fully powered on.

I just bought one today, max out the brightness, i've had no problems seeing it. not experience with other models to compare to, but for me i see it just fine.

GO$Rs

And for every one that might be interested, this is the hardest GPS device to see out in the day light. Almost unusable. Very dissapointing :laughing::wub::wub:

I'm usually pulling 10 sat connections within 5-10 minutes of bootup (4 within under 2 minutes)then by the end of 10 minutes about 8 will had the D at the bottom.

Garmin says that they have heard no complaints concerning the lack of good WAAS functionality on these units until I brought it up. If you have an Oregon and are not receiving WAAS you should call them and let them know. I am suppose to be getting a follow up tomorrow, but so far I have spoken to several customer service folks and not heard anything back concerning the software folks and what they know.

also, just make sure you 'check' you must activate the WAAS it doesn't come with it standard checked.

goto Setup>System>GPS, it comes out of the box set for 'standard'

change it to WAAS and you should be good to go.

It seems clear that there is an issue with the Oregon and WAAS!

Maybe ( A ) they simply don't show "D" when the unit is correcting the GPS signal using WAAS (the manual doesn't show specifics), or ( B ) WAAS isn't working at all on the 2.2/2.42 software.

Either way, it looks like a fix is needed.

I'm going to email Garmin and see what they have to say.

Thanks

I noticed a few quirks today with my Oregon 400t:

1st, while in "GeoCaching" profile, when navigating to a cache, then switching to "off road", the arrow doesn't move AND the "Feet to Destination" shows "0" and never updates!

If I switch to "Automotive" profile and tell it to go to "offroad" it works FINE!

2nd, I was at another cache and switched to "off road" mode and the unit just shut off!

I started it back up again and tried it again with the same results. This happened 3 or 4 times!

3rd, I was in a client's office, in the basement with NO windows or doors (except the one that goes back upstairs!) and I turned my Oregon on and fot FULL SATELITES! And I KNOW it was for the right area because when it was on last, it was approx. 45 miles away! When the satelites locked on, it showed that I was in the right place! How'd it get satelite lock without ANY windows or openings to the sky???

:laughing: