Garmin Oregon Wiki

- you don't have a map with elevation data ( topo ) - it won't show you the profile if you have City Navigator

- your CX must be updated ( only units updated after July 2007 will have this feature )

The profile of the track/route is based on a map data, not by the GPS reading.

I have v2.90 dated 2-19-08, but I suspect you mean DEM data, not contours. DEM data would require Topo 2008. I have Above the Timber's Topos. While their maps are derived from USGS elevation data, that data is not embedded in the file/maps.

Does that explain things? Perhaps you could post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Thanks

I don't know what DEM data means....I have an official Garmin map ( topo & road routing details included ) and I will post a screenshot few hours later.

Give me your email address on PM to send the screenshot...this is an Oregon topic.

Edited by xcyrus

Regarding the Oregon's display brightness/readability, if you go to the Oregon mini-site at:

Garmin Oregon Mini-Site

And then go to the Image Gallery, there is a shot of them using the Oregon out in the bright, direct sunlight (reminds me of the Sedona, AZ area). Anyway, the screen looks very readable in the picture. Is this what it really looks like in reality? I've seen the photos on g-o-cashers wiki site (and thanks for all the great work), but sometimes pictures dont do reality justice. I wonder if Garmin doctored the pictures on their min-site or what, because their photo and what I read here just doesn't jive......

Heh and do you like that....my first post in 6 years since joining :mad:

Edit: Here is a picture I can link to of the same shot, only a cropped version, from Garmin's blog:

oregon_touch.jpg

one more pic with excellent screen quality :ph34r:

9326_518342.jpg

pic from garmin.blogs.com

and here is the reality ;)

IMG_0561.jpg

picture from http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/First+Impressions

They may be the future of electronic devices but I'm still not sold on their use in a handheld GPS. Winter will be the true test. On the mountain, dense tree cover, snow storm, -10 F, with frozen elk blood on my thickest winter gloves. Lord knows I ain't takin my gloves off for anything.

Agreed. The way I look at is Garmin made the first hurdle, they designed a user interface that works well with a touch screen, but there's a second hurdle which is how will the unit perform outside in rain, snow, ice and cold. I'm less worried about gloves, I have tried it and it seems to work pretty well.

Speaking of that second hurdle, has anyone tested an oregon in actual raining conditions?

I realize the screen is suppose to need a little push, but I was wonder if falling rain would be enough to set it off...

Also, any idea on how well, or not, the screen would work with foreign substances on the screen? (like greasy sunblock, quick drop in the mud, etc) A touch screen sounds good, but if get the screen dirty would I have to spend and hour carefully cleaning the screen before it works correctly again ?

Good writeup Manatee, I'm happy to see some more users on the Oregon to get some more viewpoints out there. I'll be curious to hear about your (and others) experiences with the GPS receiver. Still not major drifts like the Colorado for me.

I used it in the pouring rain today and found it to be very good. I actually think its harder to use in light rain because it feels sort of sticky. The screen is slippery in the rain but it performed very well.

Have any of you found a place where you can see seconds as part of time of day? On the CO you could see it on the trip computer, but the OR screen layout has changed so the long fields aren't available any longer.

GO$Rs

Ok guess I should have read more than the first five pages ;)

Maybe the mud question is answered somewhere out there too :mad:

What is the largest microSD card which people have tried in the Oregon? GPSNow lists the Oregon as 4GB+, has anyone tried an 8GB or 16GB card loaded full of maps?

I have an 8GB in mine, it works fine.

Haven't filled it with maps though.

If you are taking it OUT of data storage mode, then that's why it isn't working for you. You WANT mass storage mode. Spanner mode isn't for transferring caches.

GSAK works fine with the Oregon & Colorado. You don't even need to use the macro. Just export as GPX and drag your GPX file into the GPX folder on the drive. (which you will see in windows explorer/ My Computer, or the finder)

Ok, I did get the geocache info in the unit that way, but it has a side effect. The unit now instead of having the treasure chest icon has the GC icons for the different cache types. This wouldn't be an issue, but I am thinking that the ability to have the geocaches marked as found (open chest) will no longer be an option.

Also, I have to admit not playing around much with the Nuvi GPSr, so how do you highlight a cache on the map which you would want to go to without chasing the little red pin around? Navigation with this unit has been a challenge to say the least.

So far my best accuracy is 22ft.... seems it likes to hang out in the upper 30's. Buildings are also a problem, any cover at all and you're in the 100ft accuracy range. UGGGG

The thing I have not had a problem with is the screen, I've been able to tilt it so that its ok out in normal sun. Could it be better.. absolutely.

:mad:

Edited by Patuxent Pirates
So far my best accuracy is 22ft.... seems it likes to hang out in the upper 30's. Buildings are also a problem, any cover at all and you're in the 100ft accuracy range. UGGGG

Ya, I get the same results. But I got hold of a 60CSx and took it out to the forest yesterday to compare with my Oregon 400t: some rough impressions below from only playing around for about an hour before the rain came.

WAAS: of course, the 60CSx picked up WAAS and kept it locked (satellite #51), whereas the Oregon never achieved WAAS lock (it reported seeing #51, and then #48, for a brief period of time). So far, in my experience, the Oregon only seems to lock on WAAS in very open / clear conditions.

EPE: I know you shouldn't compare EPE between two different GPS series, but the 60CSx usually reported a lower EPE than the Oregon, but not significantly so. The worst sample was a 22 foot difference, but on average, it turned out to be about a 10 foot difference yesterday. Note that this is without the Oregon being able to lock on WAAS, whereas the 60CSx was receiving WAAS correctional data.

POSITION: I suppose I trust the 60CSx position over the Oregon, but the most variation I saw in forested terrain was about 60 feet; on average the two units varied about 30 feet E/W and 36 N/S, which should be well within consumer GPS tolerance levels?

TRACKS: I was somewhat surprised in this area. At the worst point on the hike, there was a 50 foot difference between the track that the 60CSx put down vs the Oregon. While I can't say which unit is correct, the Oregon seemed to lay a better track overall since the trail is narrow, and the Oregon track was narrower than the 60CSx; the 60CSx seemed to wander a bit more than the Oregon.

Here is a SMALL-sized version of the track:

080729_400t_60csx_SMALL.jpg

And here is the Full Sized Version

RAIN: I got caught in some (temporarily) heavy rain while trying to get back to my car [so that is what cut the trip short since we've had massive flooding and it is not safe to be up a canyon due to ground saturation levels], and I used the Oregon a bit with rain falling on it without a problem.

I'll do more 60CSx/Oregon comparison later this week, but I was surprised by how well the Oregon appeared to perform yesterday, even without WAAS.

J

Ya, I get the same results. But I got hold of a 60CSx and took it out to the forest yesterday to compare with my Oregon 400t: some rough impressions below from only playing around for about an hour before the rain came.

WAAS: of course, the 60CSx picked up WAAS and kept it locked (satellite #51), whereas the Oregon never achieved WAAS lock (it reported seeing #51, and then #48, for a brief period of time). So far, in my experience, the Oregon only seems to lock on WAAS in very open / clear conditions.

EPE: I know you shouldn't compare EPE between two different GPS series, but the 60CSx usually reported a lower EPE than the Oregon, but not significantly so. The worst sample was a 22 foot difference, but on average, it turned out to be about a 10 foot difference yesterday. Note that this is without the Oregon being able to lock on WAAS, whereas the 60CSx was receiving WAAS correctional data.

POSITION: I suppose I trust the 60CSx position over the Oregon, but the most variation I saw in forested terrain was about 60 feet; on average the two units varied about 30 feet E/W and 36 N/S, which should be well within consumer GPS tolerance levels?

TRACKS: I was somewhat surprised in this area. At the worst point on the hike, there was a 50 foot difference between the track that the 60CSx put down vs the Oregon. While I can't say which unit is correct, the Oregon seemed to lay a better track overall since the trail is narrow, and the Oregon track was narrower than the 60CSx; the 60CSx seemed to wander a bit more than the Oregon.

Here is a SMALL-sized version of the track:

080729_400t_60csx_SMALL.jpg

And here is the Full Sized Version

RAIN: I got caught in some (temporarily) heavy rain while trying to get back to my car [so that is what cut the trip short since we've had massive flooding and it is not safe to be up a canyon due to ground saturation levels], and I used the Oregon a bit with rain falling on it without a problem.

I'll do more 60CSx/Oregon comparison later this week, but I was surprised by how well the Oregon appeared to perform yesterday, even without WAAS.

J

I spoke with Garmin this morning and they are actively looking into the WAAS issue with the units and why the accuracy is not what they expected. I can tell you that so far its no 60CSx. In my building with large glass walls going up a 5 story atrium I could not get but one lone sat and no position lock. I had to go outside and wait a good 10 minutes for it to finally click down to +/- 30 or so ft accuracy. The 60CSx had a much easier time inside here. :mad:

This guy I spoke with today said he couldn't confirm anything but he led me to expect we'll see a firmware update very soon. They are aware, as you would assume, about most of the big issues we've been discussing. He said they were even looking at the screen visability which is truly poor.

I also asked them about the push of the GPX file from GC and the icons which are transferring over. I showed him the chests and explained that these pushed over icons were not "active" on the map and when you find a cache there is no change in the marking.

I think next time Garmin wants to put out a unit for geocachers they need to fly G-o-Cashers to Olathe Kansas for a week and let him find the holes. ;) We would be so much better off. He made reference to the Wiki on the unit and mentioned that they are using that to collect issues.

What? You mean Garmin would actually listen to Joe Q. Public about issues? They are actually looking at G-O-Cachers Wiki?

There IS a God!

Yes that is a positive, but they should be proactive, not reactive to the communities they are building these units for. I am somewhat serious when I say they need to fly in some geocachers to test these units with the folks would will be using them, not trying to train technicians to be geocachers to figure out problems. Hopefully a lesson learned, but who knows.

I also asked them about the push of the GPX file from GC and the icons which are transferring over. I showed him the chests and explained that these pushed over icons were not "active" on the map and when you find a cache there is no change in the marking.

Can you explain this one a little more?

How are you putting caches on the Oregon? PQ, Send To GPS?

What is the issue with the icons, that they aren't changing?

GO$Rs

Can you explain this one a little more?

How are you putting caches on the Oregon? PQ, Send To GPS?

What is the issue with the icons, that they aren't changing?

GO$Rs

Sure...

The caches are a PQ result which I am dragging into the GPX folder on the unit. That is putting the geocache info into the unit, but its also dragging the GC icons along with it. This is different from the chests which are the standard on the 60CS and are also present on the Oregon. The problem will arise when you find a cache and mark it as found. The icon will still be the "custom" GC icon and not the open chest. If you're in a cache rich environment it may cause a bit of difficulty when you look to caches you may have already found. I cant seem to get it to give me the GC code above these icons.

PS. I am sure now... this unit is NOT getting WAAS

Thanks for the excellent comparison.

Please add one more to your comparison, Screen Visibility.

Since you were in a mix of weather from sun to rain, compare the BL settings and ease/difficulty to see the screen(s). You might also comment on the touchscreen UI vs. buttons. Your hiking use is identical to mine, hence more relavent.

Thanks

The caches are a PQ result which I am dragging into the GPX folder on the unit. That is putting the geocache info into the unit, but its also dragging the GC icons along with it. This is different from the chests which are the standard on the 60CS and are also present on the Oregon. The problem will arise when you find a cache and mark it as found. The icon will still be the "custom" GC icon and not the open chest. If you're in a cache rich environment it may cause a bit of difficulty when you look to caches you may have already found. I cant seem to get it to give me the GC code above these icons.

Double check this. I just looked at 6-8 caches I found this weekend and they all look like open treasure chests on the map page, regardless of the type (i.e traditional, multi, etc).

Are you running the latest 2.2 software?

GO$Rs

Please add one more to your comparison, Screen Visibility.

Since you were in a mix of weather from sun to rain, compare the BL settings and ease/difficulty to see the screen(s). You might also comment on the touchscreen UI vs. buttons. Your hiking use is identical to mine, hence more relavent.

Well, there's no question that the screen readability on the Oregon is awful compared to the 60CSx (unless you work in Garmin marketing, in which case your Oregon will get absolutely stunning results in all conditions).

On the Oregon, I keep the backlight on FULL and have it automatically turn off after 15 seconds; yesterday I had the 60CSx on full too, but probably didn't need it that way.

Even with the above said, I do like the Oregon and (if I keep it), will have to learn to live with the sometimes difficult to read screen (where "sometimes" will vary depending on outdoor conditions).

I like the touchscreen quite a bit compared to the buttons on the 60CSx: it is very fast and easy to get around. In an earlier post, I commented on how I was able to use the Oregon with gloves on (including heavy ski gloves -- had to use the edge of the glove in that case). Also, I am able to use it one-handed (left-hand or right-hand) by using my thumb to navigate.

I don't like the finger smudges that show up, since it can make the screen more difficult to read depending upon your viewing angle. But I carry small packets of lens wipes to clean the screen; I also found some "finger cots" (finger condoms?) that I tried, but they leave behind a smudge as well.

If the DeLorme PN-40 was coming out now (instead of October??), then I would be taking a serious look at that unit too.

Regards

Quick question. How did you make the picture you posted? I want to do the same thing -- a picture with multiple tracks on it.

I use DeLorme Topo USA 7.0 and a simple graphics editor: I import the .GPX files from the GPS(s), and then grab a screen shot, and then edit the screen shot in the graphics editor.

Regards

I like the touchscreen quite a bit compared to the buttons on the 60CSx: it is very fast and easy to get around. In an earlier post, I commented on how I was able to use the Oregon with gloves on (including heavy ski gloves -- had to use the edge of the glove in that case). Also, I am able to use it one-handed (left-hand or right-hand) by using my thumb to navigate.

I don't like the finger smudges that show up, since it can make the screen more difficult to read depending upon your viewing angle. But I carry small packets of lens wipes to clean the screen; I also found some "finger cots" (finger condoms?) that I tried, but they leave behind a smudge as well.

I have gotten in touch with both NuShield and Clarivue Screen Protectors and both are slowly addressing the new Oregon unit. I gave the specifications (38mm W x 63mm H 76mm diagonal) to NuShield and for now they said to use the shield for the Samsung i300 phone; however its only available in clear. Non glare for the Oregon will have to come later. Clarivue has no screen protectors that would currently work for the unit, but will be making a new cut available next week.

If anyone orders from either of them, let them know you're buying it for a Garmin Oregon unit. Both have been very responsive.

Well, there's no question that the screen readability on the Oregon is awful compared to the 60CSx (unless you work in Garmin marketing, in which case your Oregon will get absolutely stunning results in all conditions).

On the Oregon, I keep the backlight on FULL and have it automatically turn off after 15 seconds; yesterday I had the 60CSx on full too, but probably didn't need it that way.

Even with the above said, I do like the Oregon and (if I keep it), will have to learn to live with the sometimes difficult to read screen (where "sometimes" will vary depending on outdoor conditions).

Those comments closely reflect my experiences with a recently aquired Nuvi; difficult to see, love the touchscreen, and yep the screen smuges.

If the DeLorme PN-40 was coming out now (instead of October??), then I would be taking a serious look at that unit too.
Clearly Delorme is a up and coming player in this market. Unlike brand M which is fading fast.

Thanks for the reply.

Those comments closely reflect my experiences with a recently aquired Nuvi; difficult to see, love the touchscreen, and yep the screen smuges.

Clearly Delorme is a up and coming player in this market. Unlike brand M which is fading fast.

Thanks for the reply.

I returned my Oregon today to the same place I returned the Colorado. As soon as Garmon comes out with a new unit with equal (or I hope, better) accuracy than the 60scx - I'll buy it and may actually keep it.

The WAAS issue was the last straw. I am deeply disapointed in Garmin.

I returned my Oregon today to the same place I returned the Colorado. As soon as Garmon comes out with a new unit with equal (or I hope, better) accuracy than the 60scx - I'll buy it and may actually keep it.

I bold statement for sure. I wonder what percentage get returned? If anything over 10% I'd expect Garmin to sit up and take notice. I for one am on the sideline waiting for a better GPS.

Hmm....

On the Colorado 400t, I used to open the "Current.gpx" file, but if I try to do the same on the Oregon 400t, I get an error message saying the file is invalid (I'm using DeLorme Topo USA 7.0). I have to save the current track, and then I am able to open the track .gpx file in DeLorme Topo. Is this normal behavior?

Also, without using MapSource (it gives an error -- also upgrading to the latest MapSource software fails with some error message I need to google), how do I get the waypoints transferred to my computer in .gpx format? The saved tracks seem to only have track data, and no waypoints. On the Colorado, I think the waypoints were part of the "Current.gpx" file, but I don't really remember.

J

I've had this happen once on the Oregon. Normally gpx files should open just fine Mapsource or Topo, however, on one occasion I saw a case where the Oregon exported illegal characters in the waypoint name (or description I don't remember) field. Most gpx parsers seem to fail to open the file when they see this.

My suggestion would be to open up the gpx file with notepad or some other text editor and scan through any of the waypoints you have edited or added. Look for strange characters in any of the text fields and delete them. Whenever I've seen this the characters look like little squares.

If you can remember what you did create/modify this waypoint let me know, this is some sort of bug but I can't figure out how I got mine in that state. I think it might have had to do with editing the comment field of the waypoint and quitting without making modifications or something similar.

GO$Rs

I bold statement for sure. I wonder what percentage get returned? If anything over 10% I'd expect Garmin to sit up and take notice. I for one am on the sideline waiting for a better GPS.

I queried TigerGPS about that today and they claim so far none. I have not returned mine, but continue to have discussions with Garmin techs about the issues.

On the Colorado 400t, I used to open the "Current.gpx" file, but if I try to do the same on the Oregon 400t, I get an error message saying the file is invalid (I'm using DeLorme Topo USA 7.0). I have to save the current track, and then I am able to open the track .gpx file in DeLorme Topo.
This is a longshot. but an easy test.

On my Nuvi, I couldn't open Current.gpx until I checked both tracks and waypoints. After that no problems.

HTH

My suggestion would be to open up the gpx file with notepad or some other text editor and scan through any of the waypoints you have edited or added. Look for strange characters in any of the text fields and delete them. Whenever I've seen this the characters look like little squares.

If you can remember what you did create/modify this waypoint let me know, this is some sort of bug but I can't figure out how I got mine in that state.

Yep! Thanks....

Please try the following testcase to see if you can reproduce the problem:

1. Create a waypoint.
  2. Go to "Waypoint Manager"
  3. Select your waypoint.
  4. Scroll down to "Project Waypoint"
  5. Enter a bearing.
  6. Enter distance to bearing.
  7. Save the new projected waypoint.
  8. Put the Oregon 400t in mass storage mode and try to access the "Current.gpx" file -- it will fail to open due to an error. The "<desc>" area for the projected waypoint has invalid (garbage) characters.

The best workaround is to delete all projected waypoints. The other workaround is to open the Current.gpx file and edit it as you suggested (kind of a pain, eh...)

J

Ah yes. Projecting a waypoint. I was playing around with that feature so that makes sense. I'll try to reproduce later but I'm sure that is it. A good one for the Issues List.

BTW, a user on the wiki boards came up with these this morning:

1. Master Reset: Press and hold upper left corner of display while powering on.

- You'll get a question if you want to delete all user defined data.

2. Diagnostic Page (a la Colorado): Go to satellite page and press and hold upper left corner of display for 5 or more seconds.

I'll add them to the FAQ which is starting to take shape.

GO$Rs

812.jpg

About 10 minutes later (a total of 40 minutes now), I saw the WAAS "D" show up to my amazement!

2090.jpg

Satellite2.gif

I'm trying to learn more about the info provided by the satellite screen. This Nuvi screen was after ~30 min on and I see no WAAS D's. Hence I assume the Nuvi will never see a WAAS satellite.

Anything of note in comparing these?

Thanks

812.jpg

About 10 minutes later (a total of 40 minutes now), I saw the WAAS "D" show up to my amazement!

2090.jpg

Satellite2.gif

I'm trying to learn more about the info provided by the satellite screen. This Nuvi screen was after ~30 min on and I see no WAAS D's. Hence I assume the Nuvi will never see a WAAS satellite.

Thanks

OOOPS

Edited by JayPeg

Thanks

Nuvis don't do WAAS. Automotive units have no use for WAAS. There is no need for the accuracy increase.

Garmin says that they have heard no complaints concerning the lack of good WAAS functionality on these units until I brought it up. If you have an Oregon and are not receiving WAAS you should call them and let them know. I am suppose to be getting a follow up tomorrow, but so far I have spoken to several customer service folks and not heard anything back concerning the software folks and what they know.

Garmin says that they have heard no complaints concerning the lack of good WAAS functionality on these units until I brought it up. If you have an Oregon and are not receiving WAAS you should call them and let them know. I am suppose to be getting a follow up tomorrow, but so far I have spoken to several customer service folks and not heard anything back concerning the software folks and what they know.

Nah, Garmin is wrong - I've emailed with tech support (and provided links to this discussion thread), and so have others. I also emailed them info on some other problems and their latest reply today said, "Thanks for all the great information! We will look into what is causing the issue." (Not sure about the use of the singular word "issue"; ah well...)

I recently posted a comparison track between the Oregon & 60CSx where the Oregon was nicer:

Previous Post

Here is a picture from yesterday showing the 60CSx doing a better job:

July 30: Oregon 400t vs 60CSx

Given the two comparisons above, I think the Oregon is doing a decent job, huh? Of course there is room for improvement...

J

Edited by jmedlock

Double check this. I just looked at 6-8 caches I found this weekend and they all look like open treasure chests on the map page, regardless of the type (i.e traditional, multi, etc).

I've noticed this ocassionally and I think it only happens immediately after marking a cache as found. It is just a refresh issue on the map screen. Once you mark a cache found it puts the open treasure chest on top or under the other icon, so both appear. Sometimes one, sometimes the other shows up.

I think once you start navigating to the next cache the map refreshes and the old cache shows as an open treasure box.

I don't have the unit here to document steps but I can do it later for the wiki.

The lack of names above the icons is a known issue which I discovered a couple weeks ago, hopefully they will fix that.

I've noticed this ocassionally and I think it only happens immediately after marking a cache as found. It is just a refresh issue on the map screen. Once you mark a cache found it puts the open treasure chest on top or under the other icon, so both appear. Sometimes one, sometimes the other shows up.

I think once you start navigating to the next cache the map refreshes and the old cache shows as an open treasure box.

I don't have the unit here to document steps but I can do it later for the wiki.

The lack of names above the icons is a known issue which I discovered a couple weeks ago, hopefully they will fix that.

This is true. I've noticed this and a similar problem on the CO when you change the symbol of a waypoint or geocache the map still shows the old icon (or both new/old). Panning the map so that the cache falls off the screen and back on fixes it.

GO$Rs

This is true. I've noticed this and a similar problem on the CO when you change the symbol of a waypoint or geocache the map still shows the old icon (or both new/old). Panning the map so that the cache falls off the screen and back on fixes it.

GO$Rs

I'm also seeing the icon problem on the Colorado.

This is after about 3 minutes outside on my front porch with my OR 400t...

2721646522_12640db015_o.jpg

Edited by Wesbo

I have not gotten a D for any sats on mine ever, even after having the unit on for over 2 hours. And although I've gotten a bar for 48 and 51 its never been locked (ie. green). I am pretty much getting a bunch of nonsense from the Garmin customer service folks now. I would hope they are working to fix it but who knows. I'll hang on a little longer and give them a chance, but at some point I'll have to consider sending it back to the place I bought it.

Any word on when the Oregon 300 will be shipping? I heard somewhere it was supposed to be on July 28th. Garmin has no clue... ;)

Now, GPSCity is displaying expected date as August 11th.

I have had the Oregon 300 for a few days now. Originally I ordered it from Tigergps, but then I found it in a shop in Oslo, where I happen to live, and then my waiting days were over. Generally, without going into too many details, I’m very happy with it. It’s my fourth Garmin, and I rate them as follows: 1: Oregon 300, 2: 60CSX, 3: Colorado 300 4: 60CS. I was pretty disappointed by the Colorado, and I’ve missed my 60CSX ever since I sold it. However, after having purchased the OR, I’m content and happy, and the Colorado now looks a lot like something Doc Emmet Brown might have built in 1985 after having returned from 2008 were he had seen people with Oregons.

Any word on when the Oregon 300 will be shipping? I heard somewhere it was supposed to be on July 28th. Garmin has no clue... ;)

Now, GPSCity is displaying expected date as August 11th.

I just heard, from one of the big GPS websites, that the last they heard that the OR 300's ship date is 08/03/08.