Garmin Oregon Wiki

I'm pretty sure the colorado does it too, but you can set up the oregon to go into offroad (if in onroad) when you get within a set distance (you set it up yourself)

so If I'm going to a cache, if I am within .3 (i have it set to 1500ft actually) it will then switch to an offroad and I can go to compass mode.

It exists on the CO as well but I was never able to get it to work. That would be great if it did work on the OR -- have you tried it?

GO$Rs

I tried it and am pretty sure it worked, but I'll test it some more in a little bit to verify.

Could someone rip apart their Oregon and see what chipset it has?

Weren't you paying attention to benh57's post. He loves to be ignored. You can only find up to 65535 caches and then you will get an overflow error and a random number. Since you already have over 14000 finds, this might not be the best unit for the ventura_kids.

Does anyone know what kind of battery life the Oregon gets?

I've only been one set of 2700mAh batteries since I had received it at the beginning of the week. That feels better than the CO to me but I didn't count hours.

Any idea how to get geocache names to show up on the map?

Nope, that appears to be broken. The only way to see them is select them with the pin. I've tried all the things you did earlier and nothing seems to work. Time to start an Issues List!

I've also noticed 2 freezes when connecting to the computer during the archiving of current.gpx. Both required battery pulls.

GO$Rs

I do always make a POI file of the Cache to use it on my Nüvi 760.

Loading this file to Colorado/Oregon will make the showing up on the map.

You can set zoomlevel for POI.

i do have a question, however.... in the colorado, when you are selecting a cache, and you select

"go to cache", and you are using CN 2008 NT, you get turn by turn directions to the cache.

do the same thing on the oregon, and you just get a line of sight line going to the cache... how

can you get the oregon to give turn by turn directions like the colorado does?

Do you have it in automotive mode (i.e city nav maps selected and routing set to On Road). It works on mine. And the nice thing about the Oregon is when you arrive at parking you can hit WhereTo->Recalculate off road and you'll get the straight line to the cache.

i played with it, and found you can toggle between on road navigation and off

road navigation once you've selected the destination.. thanks for the help.

Just picked it up from REI. When I plug it into a cigarette lighter I get the PC connection screen. Do I need a special adapter to run it off the power in my car?

You need to go into setup and find the serial interface or some such name and change it to "Spanner". The unit will then ask you when you plug it in.

Just got back from first full day of caching with the Oregon 400t, heres my mini review.

I think it did pretty well, coming from 60csx. Defintiely a few things to get used to, many of which are the same as on the Colorado. (I never had a Colo, so i can't distinguish :rolleyes:

Screen could definitely stand to be brighter. The different backlight on vs backlight off in the sunlight was a little, but not gigantic improvment. I actually turned the backlight off to save battery, and was able to read it fine through my sunglasses in medium bright sunlight - though i had to angle it properly.

After a find, it would be nice if "Find Next Closest" would say what cache that is like to 60csx, and there was an item to go to the geocache list instead.

Lack of geocache names on the map is annoying. If a cache is the current navigation, and you are in off road mode, the name DOES show up on the map, but only the current cache navigation, not any other nearby ones. And not when you aren't navigating to it. I think this is simply a bug which they will fix.

Automatic switch to off road based on distance did NOT appear to work properly. I'll have to test it some more.

Unfortunately City Navigator NT 2009 'hides' the built in topo 2008 in contour lines mode. Would be nice if the topo lines would show through.

The touch screen is awesome. It feels so much faster to navigate though the screens. The screen 'pushes in' a little bit, so you can solidly tap it with your fingernail which is nice. It's not 'hard' like the Palm TX touchscreen, feels softer. I don't forsee any dirt/grime issues with it, i think those concerns are overblown by people who haven't actually used touch screens in the field. We went to Tommy's after, and i tried it with greasy hamburger hands and it worked fine. :rolleyes:

However i think i might have put 2 tiny (almost not noticable) nicks in it already as we were doing some rock scrambling and the gpsr was on a lanyard. I'll have to get a screen protector. Since the touchscreen 'pushes in', i don't think a screen protector will make it any less accurate. It would have to be a flexible screen protector though, not a 'hard' one.

Geocache "field notes" worked beautifully and will save me so much time. It had all my finds and DNFs in the proper order. I used the add comments feature to put in TB numbers, but not my logs, and those came in too. This is an awesome feature, which I didn't think would be so useful.

All in all i'm liking it so far. No showstoppers yet. I think the battery life and screen brightness issues are overcame by the excellent UI and geocaching features vs the 60csx.

Edited by benh57

With conflicting reports on the daylight readability of the Oregon screen it's tough to make a decision on whether it's a major concern. Some think it's ok if you angle it right and yet others say it's a major downer. I have seen the Wiki and judged for myself that the screen brightness in daylight appears to be pretty dull. What's the real consencious? Is the reduced readability worth the tradeoff for a touch screen? If you use the unit pirmarily under full sunlight would you still choose it over the Colorado?

I'm just looking for a few honest opinions. Screen readability is important but I can Live with it if it's only marginally worse than the Colorado.

We had a chance to go out and do some caching with the Oregon gps yesterday afternoon. I'm really impressed with the unit and the touch screen works great. I didn't have the Colorado long enough to really get to know it but in my opinion the touch screen is much better. I do like touch screens so that might make a difference. For those familiar with the nuvi's and street pilots the screen has the same feel as those units.

I had no problem seeing the screen in the bright sunlight. I think it's brighter then the Colorado, similar to the my 76cxs. Hold the angle just right without the backlight on and I thought it was very easy to read. I didn't put a screen protector on it yet which might dim it a little.

The Oregon appears to have a little better satellite accuracy then the Colorado. I was running from sixteen to twenty feet most of the time in the open and a light tree cover. When under dense tree cover it showed the same distance to the cache as my wife's etrex legend hcx

The batteries also last much longer on the Oregon then the Colorado. On the Colorado the battery bar would show half gone after a half hour and way dead in about a hour and a half. With the Oregon I had it on for about three hours yesterday and have been messing with it some today and the battery bars still show way full. I was using some cheap alkaline batteries in both units.

The only problem I've had is I can't get the found cache file field notes to upload to the geocache web site. I had the same problem with the Colorado. Thought it might be a Vista problem but also tried it on my XP machine and it won't work there either. I've got everything set right according to instructions but I must be missing something being I had the problem with both units.

In summary I'm very pleased with the Oregon. The touch screen is just great. I can do basically everything with my thumb and once I get the sequence figured out I think it will be much faster then the wheel

Edited by campingfarmer

And for every one that might be interested, this is the hardest GPS device to see out in the day light. Almost unusable. Very dissapointing :rolleyes::sunsure::blink:

:blink:

Screen could definitely stand to be brighter. The different backlight on vs backlight off in the sunlight was a little, but not gigantic improvment. I actually turned the backlight off to save battery, and was able to read it fine through my sunglasses in medium bright sunlight - though i had to angle it properly.

:lol:

I had no problem seeing the screen in the bright sunlight. I think it's brighter then the Colorado, similar to the my 76cxs. Hold the angle just right without the backlight on and I thought it was very easy to read. I didn't put a screen protector on it yet which might dim it a little.

:rolleyes:

I can imagine that the screen viewability in bright sun is a major factor in whether or not a number of people would be willing to jump in. As you can see above there are reports that run the gammut from "Very dissapointing" to "Brighter than the Colorado... Similar to the 76CSX".

I don't live in an urban area where I can run into the store to see the Oregon first hand so I rely alot on the folks here to check things out. Screen viewability in bright sunlight is pretty important to me. I have seen GO$RS photo's on the Wiki. What's the deal for real?

Edited by yogazoo

We had a chance to go out and do some caching with the Oregon gps yesterday afternoon. I'm really impressed with the unit and the touch screen works great. I didn't have the Colorado long enough to really get to know it but in my opinion the touch screen is much better. I do like touch screens so that might make a difference. For those familiar with the nuvi's and street pilots the screen has the same feel as those units.

The Oregon appears to have a little better satellite accuracy then the Colorado. I was running from sixteen to twenty feet most of the time in the open and a light tree cover. When under dense tree cover it showed the same distance to the cache as my wife's etrex legend hcx

The batteries also last much longer on the Oregon then the Colorado. On the Colorado the battery bar would show half gone after a half hour and way dead in about a hour and a half. With the Oregon I had it on for about three hours yesterday and have been messing with it some today and the battery bars still show way full. I was using some cheap alkaline batteries in both units.

The only problem I've had is I can't get the found cache file field notes to upload to the geocache web site. I had the same problem with the Colorado. Thought it might be a Vista problem but also tried it on my XP machine and it won't work there either. I've got everything set right according to instructions but I must be missing something being I had the problem with both units.

In summary I'm very pleased with the Oregon. The touch screen is just great. I can do basically everything with my thumb and once I get the sequence figured out I think it will be much faster then the wheel

It sounds as if you owned a Colorado but then returned it after a short while ...? If so, keep in mind that your experience with the Colorado was with an older firmware version so some of your comparisons may be unfair/incorrect/outdated unless you compared the Oregon with current Colorado firmware.

However, your comments about your touch-screen and brightness experience are good, thanks.

Nope, that appears to be broken. The only way to see them is select them with the pin. I've tried all the things you did earlier and nothing seems to work. Time to start an Issues List!

GO$Rs

with 821 caches on my unit, that's a God send.

I just went outside playing around with the Oregon and the 76 double checking on the readability of the screen in bright sunlight. I still say I have no problem in seeing the screen. The Oregon is nearly as easy to read as the 76 laying side by side in my hand. You do have to tilt it just right to get the two looking the same. If I slowly roll my hand the view on the Oregon will completely dull out but makes no difference on the 76.

I feel the "dull" issue relates back to the touch screen texture. It's simply a dull texture that the screen is made of. I took my street pilot out in the sun and that also has to be tilted just right in the bright sun to see the screen. If I lay the Oregon and 76 side by side powered off in the house the dull texture of the screen on the Oregon is very noticeable. This "dullness" just doesn't give me a problem in reading the screen. I also faced away from the sun and with the sun coming over my back shining directly into the screen there was no glare and the smaller print such as the cache descriptions and logs were very easy to read. Again I had to get the angle just right. Some might think having to get the angle just right will be a big pain but I had no problem finding the right angle nearly instantly.

I hope this all makes some sense. :rolleyes: It's hard to explain without actually seeing the unit. It's a pricey little toy but as of now I'm extremely pleased with the Oregon. Now if I could only figure out why I can't get my field notes to upload? :rolleyes:

Edited by campingfarmer

It sounds as if you owned a Colorado but then returned it after a short while ...? If so, keep in mind that your experience with the Colorado was with an older firmware version so some of your comparisons may be unfair/incorrect/outdated unless you compared the Oregon with current Colorado firmware.

However, your comments about your touch-screen and brightness experience are good, thanks.

I had the Colorado for about two weeks. I did have all the updates except the one that just came out. When I saw the Oregon was released I decided to return the Colorado. I had purchased it through Amazon and with there 30 day no questions asked full refund return shipment paid I thought why not. I really have nothing against the Colorado but when I saw touchscreen in the description I wanted it. :rolleyes:

You do have to tilt it just right to get the two looking the same. If I slowly roll my hand the view on the Oregon will completely dull out but makes no difference on the 76.

I feel the "dull" issue relates back to the touch screen texture. It's simply a dull texture that the screen is made of. I took my street pilot out in the sun and that also has to be tilted just right in the bright sun to see the screen. If I lay the Oregon and 76 side by side powered off in the house the dull texture of the screen on the Oregon is very noticeable. This "dullness" just doesn't give me a problem in reading the screen. I also faced away from the sun and with the sun coming over my back shining directly into the screen there was no glare and the smaller print such as the cache descriptions and logs were very easy to read. Again I had to get the angle just right. Some might think having to get the angle just right will be a big pain but I had no problem finding the right angle nearly instantly.

I hope this all makes some sense. :sad: It's hard to explain without actually seeing the unit. It's a pricey little toy but as of now I'm extremely pleased with the Oregon. Now if I could only figure out why I can't get my field notes to upload? :sad:

I did not use the 60 side by side with the OR but I think this description sums it up pretty well. The OR takes a little work to see. It also helps tremendously to turn the shading off. The shading causes a green screen, which is harder to see while removing the shading sets the maps to an off white color. The really sad thing Garmin could have solved all this by allowing some options for display scheme.

I am also pretty miffed that the OR allows for an avg speed while moving but my Edge 705 calculates avg speed even when I am stopped. Just shows that the designers of the unit have little idea of what their target markets want.

I am also pretty miffed that the OR allows for an avg speed while moving but my Edge 705 calculates avg speed even when I am stopped. Just shows that the designers of the unit have little idea of what their target markets want.

It should do both... One is called "Moving average" and the other "Overall Average".

Just shows you know not of what you speak..... :sad:

601.JPG

Edited by Red90

I played off and on with the Oregon 400t over the weekend, and I can't say the results were good. I will continue to use the Oregon and decide if it is going back to where I purchased it.

Location Drift Problem:

I live in forested / mountainous terrain and frequently saw the location drift problem occur on the Colorado 400t. It looks like I hit a similar problem on the Oregon 400t, but it was not as easy to hit.

The first picture shows a "GPS Accuracy" of 26 feet, but it is also showing me at the "B4R" (before reset) waypoint. I was actually at the "Big Rock" waypoint).

5452.png

The second picture I transferred the waypoints to my computer and saw that the error was 1,411 feet. I added some notes to this picture:

1. I looked at the display and knew there was no way I was at the location the Oregon was placing me. So I took a waypoint (B4R) and then reset the unit by doing a power-cycle.

2. When the unit came back on and acquired satellites (very quickly), it corrected itself and placed me at the ARST ("after reset") which is at the "Big Rock" waypoint where I was standing.

or400t_Drift_1.png

I did not see any other location drift problems on the Oregon, even on a trail where the Colorado would frequently lose its mind. I tend to think this is a buggy software problem (instead of a hardware fault), especially since the GPS chipsets are different in the Colorado and Oregon. So I speculate that Garmin should be able to fix the location drift problems on both series.

Unit Lock Up:

Twice today the touch screen stopped responding and the unit seemed to "hang". I was able to hold the power button down and it did shut off.

Map Redraw:

Like the Colorado, the Oregon doesn't always redraw a complete map. However, a few times I hit the problem below where the Oregon didn't have a map at all (I didn't have this problem on the Colorado). The workaround is to zoom in or out to have it draw the map.

9861.png

"GPS Accuracy":

I suppose the "patch"(?) antenna on the Oregon doesn't allow it to get as good of accuracy as the Colorado? With the Colorado I would normally see anywhere from 20 to 30 feet EPE (usally 30 feet). With the Oregon, I sometimes get as low as the teens, but I would say 80% of the time it is at 50 feet or greater, and it isn't uncommon to see higher numbers. For example, the screen shots below show 63 feet on a trail where the Colorado would have shown 30 or so (based on my memory).

EDIT: I have no idea how the Oregon / Colorado calculate "accuracy", and I don't have a Colorado to compare with the Oregon. So I don't know how far off the Oregon really is to what a Colorado would report.

6026.png

6033.png

Tracks:

This has already been pointed out elsewhere, but the tracks that the Oregon lays down are not as nice as the Colorado (ignoring the location drift problem). For example, if you hike up, and then back down a trail, the Colorado will lay the to/fro tracks pretty close to each other. This isn't so with the Oregon and the tracks are usually pretty far apart (e.g. 50 feet isn't uncommon in forested terrain).

Compass Calibration - Missing Instructions:

A few times today I was trying to calibrate the compass, and went to the screen where it tells you to rotate, but the screen was blank: the instructions to rotate didn't appear. Powering-off didn't seem to matter. I turned off the compass, and then turned it back on, and even that didn't work. Then I turned off the compass, and then powered-off the unit, and that seemed to work. I don't know what caused it to happen.

I'll try to get a screenshot of it if I see it again.

EDIT: I was using PowerEx 2700mAh batteries that were freshly charged. The batteries are about 5 months old and have been conditioned in the Maha charger.

EDIT: I was using an Oregon 400t running 2.2 software with the 2.42 GPS software.

J

Edited by jmedlock

Thanks to GO$Rs for another great job providing information for the Garmin GPS units. We finally gave up the ghost on our last Colorado today and took it back to REI for the new Oregon. I have not had the chance to do much with it yet but I really do like the touch screen. I also like having the description and logs on the same page. getting back to the hint is a little weird but we will see how that works out. Only a couple of initial problems to put out there to see if others can repeat them. First is that if I try to add a waypoint, when I get to the screen to change location the screen is grayed out and I can only move my cursor position on the coords at the top of the screen and the rest of the touch screen does not work. This locks the unit up and I have to pull the batteries to reset it. Second is that the vehicle power cable supplied by REI puts the unit into mass storage when you plug it in. This just maybe the wrong one but it is the one with the straight rather than 90 degree end.

Just a final rant on the Colorado. We have owned four of them now and none ever met our expectations. No, we did not give the final update a chance. Accuracy is not an issue that will be fixed with software IMHO so it was time to move on and see if the Oregon release has been handled any better...only time will tell.

Accuracy is not an issue that will be fixed with software IMHO so it was time to move on and see if the Oregon release has been handled any better...only time will tell.

You had better hope you're wrong because base on most of the early reviews, the Oregon is even less accurate than the Colorado, or at least just as drift prone.

It is my belief, based on previous model releases such as the 60 series, Vista series and so on, that the WILL fix most of the accuracy/drift issues with software/firmware updates. It may take some more time but they'll get it right or their name isn't Garmin.

Edited by yogazoo

Accuracy is not an issue that will be fixed with software IMHO so it was time to move on and see if the Oregon release has been handled any better...only time will tell.

You had better hope you're wrong because base on most of the early reviews, the Oregon is even less accurate than the Colorado, or at least just as drift prone.

It is my belief, based on previous model releases such as the 60 series, Vista series and so on, that the WILL fix most of the accuracy/drift issues with software/firmware updates. It may take some more time but they'll get it right or their name isn't Garmin.

If I am wrong then I will take the Oregon back to REI and get another 60csx (the GPSr that I use) for my wife and all will be well. It is really to early to tell how the Oregon is going to work out, but fool that I am, I am willing to give Garmin another chance...The PN40 will be out soon though :sad: Lets give the Oregon at least a few weeks out in the real world before we send it to the same graveyard the Colorado is destined for.

Strange, looks like Garmin is experimenting by releasing halfbaked products. First the Colorado, then MapSource version 6.14.1 and now maybe in some ways the Oregon.

Among a lot of good products they have made 60CS and 60CSx and proved that they can do much better. Did they get too good at this GPS technology? Did they get too big? What happened? Anyway, it's interesting, and they do not have much competition. Could be they need a lot more of the latter.

I have an eTrex Vista HCx and I like it. It has a bit more position drift than my 60CS.

Thank you for the reviews and comments :sad:

First is that if I try to add a waypoint, when I get to the screen to change location the screen is grayed out and I can only move my cursor position on the coords at the top of the screen and the rest of the touch screen does not work. This locks the unit up and I have to pull the batteries to reset it.

It starts in 'select cursor position' mode. You touch the little arrows and check box under the numbers to set your cursor position, then you enter the numbers.

I don't really like the UI for editing the coords of a waypoint.

Same as colorado, it's ridiculous that the entire set of coords don't show on the same screen.

Also, it's possible to accidentally erase the 'N' or 'W' letters when editing a waypoint coords, then there is no way to get them back other than resetting the waypoint. (since it only allows you to type numbers..)

I have to say i still prefer the Oregon even with the flaws in this thread.

Backlight is certainly dimmer, but worked out fine in the field.

Accuracy wasn't significantly off my partner's 60csx.

It should do both... One is called "Moving average" and the other "Overall Average".

Just shows you know not of what you speak..... :sad:

601.JPG

That looks like an OR screen. If you read my post again, you will notice I said the OR does do this but my Edge does not. Much more important to me and other cyclists that the Edge does this.

Edited by Maximus XX!V

First is that if I try to add a waypoint, when I get to the screen to change location the screen is grayed out and I can only move my cursor position on the coords at the top of the screen and the rest of the touch screen does not work. This locks the unit up and I have to pull the batteries to reset it.

It starts in 'select cursor position' mode. You touch the little arrows and check box under the numbers to set your cursor position, then you enter the numbers.

I don't really like the UI for editing the coords of a waypoint.

Same as colorado, it's ridiculous that the entire set of coords don't show on the same screen.

Also, it's possible to accidentally erase the 'N' or 'W' letters when editing a waypoint coords, then there is no way to get them back other than resetting the waypoint. (since it only allows you to type numbers..)

I have to say i still prefer the Oregon even with the flaws in this thread.

Backlight is certainly dimmer, but worked out fine in the field.

Accuracy wasn't significantly off my partner's 60csx.

Thank you very much, that helped. Still kinda weird that you have to edit the entire coord but I can live with it. Just another learning curve to overcome.

Regarding the location drift issues for both the Colorado and Oregon:

Are these huge drift problems only when viewing the saved track log or are the coords out this much when out in the field? Just wondering if the bug is in their coord calcs or of the bug is in their track compression code.

Cheers

911turbos

If you go into alpha-num entry mode and hit left arrow once you'll get to the alpha screen where you can reenter the N or W.

GO$Rs

Regarding the location drift issues for both the Colorado and Oregon:

Are these huge drift problems only when viewing the saved track log or are the coords out this much when out in the field? Just wondering if the bug is in their coord calcs or of the bug is in their track compression code.

Cheers

911turbos

Rightyo.... On the Colorado, the "normal" drift is a little worse than a 60CSX. I've carefully reviewed tracklogs from hiking trips in heavy forest against my companions carrying a 60csx.

The "problem" that is discussed is a strange, and rare calculation error that occurs. It is not really "drift". The unit starts thinking you are in an incorrect location. I've seen it 3 times since I purchased the unit. It has always been fixed by turning the unit off and the on again and has never returned that same day. It is very obviously a software bug. And yes, the tracklogs match your current reported position when in the field. There is no track compression. It saves what you see, 100%.

Now on the Oregon....from the tracklogs that I'm seeing the "normal" drift is quite high. Probably a bit worse than what I would have seen with the older 60CS. Not horrid, but a lot worse than the newer units. IMO, it looks like the sensitivity of the Oregon is a large step back in time at least with the current firmware.

Edited by Red90

I played off and on with the Oregon 400t over the weekend, and I can't say the results were good. I will continue to use the Oregon and decide if it is going back to where I purchased it.

Location Drift Problem:

I live in forested / mountainous terrain and frequently saw the location drift problem occur on the Colorado 400t. It looks like I hit a similar problem on the Oregon 400t, but it was not as easy to hit.

I did not see any other location drift problems on the Oregon, even on a trail where the Colorado would frequently lose its mind. I tend to think this is a buggy software problem (instead of a hardware fault), especially since the GPS chipsets are different in the Colorado and Oregon. So I speculate that Garmin should be able to fix the location drift problems on both series.

Yuck. I was really hoping that this wouldn't show up on the Oregon but from what you describe it certainly sounds almost identical the Colorado issue. In a week of using my OR under pretty heavy cover and seeing my Colorado drift while I was using them at the same time I was hopefully that the Oregon might be immune to the issue.

Unit Lock Up:

Twice today the touch screen stopped responding and the unit seemed to "hang". I was able to hold the power button down and it did shut off.

I'm assuming you checked the screen lock? I'm only asking because I fooled myself a couple of times.

Map Redraw:

Like the Colorado, the Oregon doesn't always redraw a complete map. However, a few times I hit the problem below where the Oregon didn't have a map at all (I didn't have this problem on the Colorado). The workaround is to zoom in or out to have it draw the map.

I've seen a lot of partial map redraws, similar to what I saw on the CO in the early going, but nothing this bad. Can you reproduce it?

"GPS Accuracy":

I suppose the "patch"(?) antenna on the Oregon doesn't allow it to get as good of accuracy as the Colorado? With the Colorado I would normally see anywhere from 20 to 30 feet EPE (usally 30 feet). With the Oregon, I sometimes get as low as the teens, but I would say 80% of the time it is at 50 feet or greater, and it isn't uncommon to see higher numbers. For example, the screen shots below show 63 feet on a trail where the Colorado would have shown 30 or so (based on my memory).

EDIT: I have no idea how the Oregon / Colorado calculate "accuracy", and I don't have a Colorado to compare with the Oregon. So I don't know how far off the Oregon really is to what a Colorado would report.

I wouldn't worry much about GPS accuracy numbers as means to compare different units. What Garmin does to calculate these numbers on different GPS's is something we'll probably never understand!

Tracks:

This has already been pointed out elsewhere, but the tracks that the Oregon lays down are not as nice as the Colorado (ignoring the location drift problem). For example, if you hike up, and then back down a trail, the Colorado will lay the to/fro tracks pretty close to each other. This isn't so with the Oregon and the tracks are usually pretty far apart (e.g. 50 feet isn't uncommon in forested terrain).

This probably isn't a track issue but just a general issue of GPS accuracy or drift. I see this as well and if I overlay the OR's tracklog on a 60csx or CO tracklog there is much more variation in the OR log against itself and the other units.

I called Garmin tech support this morning to switch maps from the CO to the OR. While on the phone I also asked about the car adapter issue, being that the 90 degree fitting does not work with the OR. The tech person was very helpful and took the time to go and get one of the adapters to see what I was talking about. It does connect and work but it does not lock in like it should. This was recognized as a problem and has been given to the engineers. The tech support guy even called me back later to tell me that he had checked the car kit and found that it is different than the one for the CO. Unknown at this point if it is the cable that is different or the mount but we will see as I went ahead and ordered one. If anyone has the car kit perhaps you could shed some light on the subject.

I tried to get information about the chipset and found that this has been a common question being asked. For some reason the chipset appears to be a closely guarded secret now just as it has been for the CO. It is beyond me why what chipset is being used in a product already released to the public has to be a trade secret?? Other GPS companies rlease this information even before public release (Delorme PN40 for one). Still have not had the opportunity to really put the OR through it's paces and am trying to get used to the new way that it does things. Hopefully I will have something to add to the discussion soon.

Question about drift verses accuracy. The problem I always had with the CO was that it was consistantly 30 to 50 feet off of gz of a cache. When you have drift is it more of an issue of losing contact with sats for whatever reason such as cover or poor reception? It just appears to me to be apples and oranges so I wanted to throw it out there to see what folks think. :unsure:

I have a touch screen phone! They really are not all they are cracked up to be. screen is always dirty!

some times it won't respond after it has been a sleep for a while. I would be corius how this works next year! at 600+ it better last.

You don't have the iPhone?

I told you people that touch screens are the future! I'm glad some of you have learn to like it.

They may be the future of electronic devices but I'm still not sold on their use in a handheld GPS. Winter will be the true test. On the mountain, dense tree cover, snow storm, -10 F, with frozen elk blood on my thickest winter gloves. Lord knows I ain't takin my gloves off for anything.

Been there with the 60CSX, tried and true. Going there with my Colorado. I'm hoping for the best.

Edited by yogazoo

Unit Lock Up:

I'm assuming you checked the screen lock? I'm only asking because I fooled myself a couple of times.

It was very strange: the screen wasn't locked and simply stopped working (e.g. I didn't get that message that will display when the screen is locked and you try to do something). I saw this happen twice on Sunday, but haven't been out with the unit since then.

I've seen a lot of partial map redraws, similar to what I saw on the CO in the early going, but nothing this bad. Can you reproduce it?

I only saw this happen a few times on Sunday, so it was reproducible yesterday! I'll see if it happens again.

This probably isn't a track issue but just a general issue of GPS accuracy or drift. I see this as well and if I overlay the OR's tracklog on a 60csx or CO tracklog there is much more variation in the OR log against itself and the other units.

Hmm.. well, I'm somewhat disturbed by the variation in the Oregon track. The Colorado did a much better job laying down a track.

I was going to open a trouble ticket with Garmin to report some of the issues I've seen, but their online submission tool doesn't recognize the Oregon yet. I want a paper trail, so I'm not going to call Tech Support.

So far I'm not very impressed with the Oregon. I expected better.

J

Edited by jmedlock

One note and a question...

Note: Keep in mind the Oregon clearly uses a resistive type touchscreen. This may not mean much to some of you, so I will try my best... This type of touchscreen is made to work by having a couple layers ABOVE the glass/plastic of your screen (IE they are the topmost layers) and as you press down, it changes the resistance in this area by pushing the layers together. This has two disadvantages and one advantage.

Advantage: You can use it with gloves. Since it operates using the force of you pushing, it can be used with your hands, a stick, a stylus, etc.

Disadvantages: You get, at most, roughly 80 percent of the visibility of the screen. MAYBE 85 if they used the very newest bleeding edge touchscreen. This means that you are losing 20 percent of the brightness of your screen from the backlight, and probably quite a bit more from the sun since it has to pass through these layers twice.(40 percent?) Also, no software update or even future revision of the device can improve this since it is an actual limitation of the current state of the art for resistive touchscreens.

The other disadvantage is these types of touchscreens can be more fragile. Since the touchscreen layers are on top, any good scratch that gets through the top protective plastic can essentially ruin your touchscreen.

Despite this, this is probably the most common type of touchscreen used in the mobile world. Treos use this, the new Samsung instinct uses it, etc.

I personally would prefer a capacitive type touchscreen. It lets all the light through, it is under the plastic/glass, it is much more responsive and essentially indestructible unless you actually smash your display. The disadvantage here is you cannot use it with gloves, it needs skin contact. I would personally be willing to make the trade-off, many people probably would not. Especially in colder climates.

The iPhone is an example of a device that uses a capacitive touchscreen.

Phew! OK time for my question...does it support the 3D POV that the colorado series did? IE give you a 3d view of what your current location looks like on the gps?

Similar to this:

Garmin_Colorado_400t_3D_scr.gif

or this

garmin_colorado_400t_037.jpg

Thanks!

They may be the future of electronic devices but I'm still not sold on their use in a handheld GPS. Winter will be the true test. On the mountain, dense tree cover, snow storm, -10 F, with frozen elk blood on my thickest winter gloves. Lord knows I ain't takin my gloves off for anything.

Agreed. The way I look at is Garmin made the first hurdle, they designed a user interface that works well with a touch screen, but there's a second hurdle which is how will the unit perform outside in rain, snow, ice and cold. I'm less worried about gloves, I have tried it and it seems to work pretty well.

I only saw this happen a few times on Sunday, so it was reproducible yesterday! I'll see if it happens again.

Did you upgrade to 2.2 after Sunday? I remember seeing more problems like this on 2.1.

I was going to open a trouble ticket with Garmin to report some of the issues I've seen, but their online submission tool doesn't recognize the Oregon yet. I want a paper trail, so I'm not going to call Tech Support.

You can email them directly at productsupport@garmin.com . Just make sure you fill out the stuff they normally ask through the forms interface: unit type, version, etc.

Phew! OK time for my question...does it support the 3D POV that the colorado series did? IE give you a 3d view of what your current location looks like on the gps?

Thanks for the information on touch screen types. And yes, if you are using Topo2008, 3Dview is supported. This means that the 400t will support it out of the box, you'll have to buy Topo2008 and load it on the other models in order to use it on them.

GO$Rs

Not on the Oregon but I saw this on the Colorado. I believe it happens the first time the unit needs to create an archived tracklog (i.e. [drive]:\Garmin\GPX\Archive). I'm guessing if you look the Archive folder will have been created and you'll have a file called 1.gpx inside.

I've never seen the message again and I've wrapped around (20 file max limit) on my Colorado.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers
Keep in mind the Oregon clearly uses a resistive type touchscreen. This may not mean much to some of you, so I will try my best... This type of touchscreen is made to work by having a couple layers ABOVE the glass/plastic of your screen (IE they are the topmost layers) and as you press down, it changes the resistance in this area by pushing the layers together. This has two disadvantages and one advantage.

Advantage: You can use it with gloves. Since it operates using the force of you pushing, it can be used with your hands, a stick, a stylus, etc.

Disadvantages: You get, at most, roughly 80 percent of the visibility of the screen. MAYBE 85 if they used the very newest bleeding edge touchscreen. This means that you are losing 20 percent of the brightness of your screen from the backlight, and probably quite a bit more from the sun since it has to pass through these layers twice.(40 percent?) Also, no software update or even future revision of the device can improve this since it is an actual limitation of the current state of the art for resistive touchscreens.

The other disadvantage is these types of touchscreens can be more fragile. Since the touchscreen layers are on top, any good scratch that gets through the top protective plastic can essentially ruin your touchscreen.

Despite this, this is probably the most common type of touchscreen used in the mobile world. Treos use this, the new Samsung instinct uses it, etc.

I personally would prefer a capacitive type touchscreen. It lets all the light through, it is under the plastic/glass, it is much more responsive and essentially indestructible unless you actually smash your display. The disadvantage here is you cannot use it with gloves, it needs skin contact. I would personally be willing to make the trade-off, many people probably would not. Especially in colder climates.

The iPhone is an example of a device that uses a capacitive touchscreen.

Thank you so much for Touchscreen 101, I needed that lesson.

I just got a Nuvi 205W, and your resistive explanation clearly explained all the symptoms I experienced.

- almost impossible to see in bright sunlight, w/o heavy backlight.

- through a padded case I was hearing the touchscreen beep from just casual touching the case.

Thanks again.

When I first saw the Oregon I just about soiled my pants. Now, my B-day was about two days after the Oregon was set loose on the public and the next occasion for me to receive a gift will be in December. I cannot wait, so I'm just going to buy me one, but my dilemma is between the 300 and 400T. I checked the Wiki and other comparisons charts, and the only real difference I see is the Topo chart. I own the '08 Garmin Topo maps DVD. So, it is better to save 100 smackers and get the 300 (plus I like the orange color) and just upload my current Topo maps or is there some advantage worth 100 smackers that the 400T has that I am unaware. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

When I first saw the Oregon I just about soiled my pants. Now, my B-day was about two days after the Oregon was set loose on the public and the next occasion for me to receive a gift will be in December. I cannot wait, so I'm just going to buy me one, but my dilemma is between the 300 and 400T. I checked the Wiki and other comparisons charts, and the only real difference I see is the Topo chart. I own the '08 Garmin Topo maps DVD. So, it is better to save 100 smackers and get the 300 (plus I like the orange color) and just upload my current Topo maps or is there some advantage worth 100 smackers that the 400T has that I am unaware. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

A lot of my Canadian buddies bought the Colorado 300 because the topo maps on the 400t were only for the US, not useful for them. You are in a similar situation with already having a set of topo maps. I'd go for the 300.

off-topic from your post ...

I have an Oregon 400t as I live in the US and so far am very impressed with the Oregon units ( I also have a Colorado 400t ). One nice thing that I like ( it's prolly in the Wiki ) is that I can be in the Automotive profile, select the Geocache button, pick a geocache and route to it. Then I can select the "Where To?" button and select "Recalc off-road" ( a la "Menu" -> "Recalculate" on the 60CSx ). I can toggle the recalculating between "Recalc on-road" and "Recalc off-road". That is SO nice! I'm sure that this feature will be added to the Colorado soon.

What I don't like is that I can't seem to select a geocache that's on the screen and "go to" it. I need to select the Geocache button and find the cache that I want to find. Plus the geocache name doesn't show on the screen ( I'm sure that this will be fixed tho ).