Garmin Oregon Wiki

So is that what happened? As soon as you mark that they are found it will switch over to waypoint? I saw that some of my finds included the caching symbol still and the open treasure box under it.

The GPS game my cache logs a total of 22, but when I looked through the find list it only showed me about 17 of them. I'm a little confused.

Not a waypoint, they get added to the Found Geocache list. Check out the geocaching page on the Colorado wiki: http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Geocaching . The found Geocache list is visible through the Geocaching Tool.

Screenshot Mode?

On this page, http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+Oregon, I didn't see if the Oregon could capture a screenshot. Can it?

Thanks for this great tool.

Yes. Under Setup->Display there is an option called something like Power Button Screen Capture. Turn it on and you can capture any screen using the power button.

In this photo I see three different colors, please describe the textures.

Thanks

The dark gray is textured hard plastic, the black is as softer smoother plastic -- sort of like the back cover on the CO and the silver is smooth hard plastic (sort of looks like aluminum but I'm pretty sure it isn't).

Did I hear there was an update (2.2) somewhere?

Yes, check out the main page on the wiki I'm pretty sure there is a link.

GO$Rs

I am not normally an early adopter but the UI on the 60CSx is a frustration for me. Ever since I bought a car unit, I have been waiting for a touchscreen unit for backpacking.

I just got a Nuvi 205W which I plan to take backpacking. I did a hike a few days ago, excellent reception, but terrible visability in the sun. Therefore I'm going to use it in conjunction with my Venture Cx, excellent daylight visability, crappy reception.

I'm currently testing battery life and today I'll build a 4-AA re-charger. Supposed to work well, cheap to test.

The screen redraws are nearly instant even with the detailed Above the Timber Topos I've shown. The touchscreen is a delight, simple drag the map with your finger or tap to place the cursor anywhere on screen, sure beats buttons.

Sneffels.gif

This table shows the relative screen sizes of handheld Garmin's.

GarminCompare.gif

The Nuvi also has a photo viewer, these photos can be linked to the map via favorites.

ZoomPicView.gif

The Nuvi has 700MB of empty space for photos or maps, however I have my Topos on an SD card.

Not to drag this too much off of topic, but the 205 concerns me with battery life. It would need to be constantly recharged for any backpacking expeditions I do. That and no ability to load routes, which I do for ease of use in the field.

The Nuvi would also be bad for my kayaking, not being waterproof.

IMO the Nuvis are quite a few steps behing my 60CSx. Their only advatages being touchscreen, bigger screen and speech.

Having said all that, I will probably pick up a Nuvi 5000 when they get a bit cheaper. That would work well for my SUV.

Thanks for all the feedback! Sounds like I may be headed to REI this weekend.

Edited by Maximus XX!V

Okay...i lied...I do have another pet peeve with the Oregon. Maybe G O can help me, but I love on my 60CSx that it would ask me when I'm routing to a point if I want On road or Off road. with the Oregon, it looks like you have a standard method it defaults to, and if you wanted to change it mid travel you would need to go into Where to? and the select reroute (insert opposite way here).

Is there no where to turn on a prompt for that?

Also, I wouldn't mind turning off the bubble prompt telling me I arrived at a cache site or whatever, simply to touch okay and have it go away.

Okay...i lied...I do have another pet peeve with the Oregon. Maybe G O can help me, but I love on my 60CSx that it would ask me when I'm routing to a point if I want On road or Off road. with the Oregon, it looks like you have a standard method it defaults to, and if you wanted to change it mid travel you would need to go into Where to? and the select reroute (insert opposite way here).

Is there no where to turn on a prompt for that?

Also, I wouldn't mind turning off the bubble prompt telling me I arrived at a cache site or whatever, simply to touch okay and have it go away.

That's right. There isn't a prompted mode like the 60csx, although the OR is one step ahead of the CO in that it has the "reroute offroad/onroad" options. On the CO you have to switch profiles or change the routing setting in order to get the unit to recalc.

Your later request is a common one on for the CO and now probably the OR.

GO$Rs

I'm just glad I don't have too many quarks with it.

- Figure out why my found totals don't match the listed found caches

- Bubble prompt arrival disappear

- Prompt for On/Off Road

- Compass view similar to colorado with size and D/T

I don't think that is all bad. Those would only help ME in how I cache, but are not necessities. I know how to manuever to the screens I need, it would just be nice to bypass it.

the nüvi has 480x272 pixel but you have no full-screen of the map. Therefore you need some space for the buttons - and then, the colorado/oregon has nearly the same size.
Have to agree, those opaque buttons waste a lot of space. No reason Garmin couldn't make them smaller and/or transparent like the + / - buttons.

The Nuvi does have one huge advantage $200 vs. $500.

That's right. There isn't a prompted mode like the 60csx, although the OR is one step ahead of the CO in that it has the "reroute offroad/onroad" options. On the CO you have to switch profiles or change the routing setting in order to get the unit to recalc.

Your later request is a common one on for the CO and now probably the OR.

GO$Rs

Where is this "reroute offroad/onroad" option on the OR i can't seem to find it?

Thanks

EDIT: I think i found it go back to main screen and select where to, then then select recalculate on or offroad

Edited by teamdw

I've had the Oregon 400t less than 10 minutes and here is a complete and thorough review :D

I haven't upgraded to the 2.20 software yet.

It seemed to acquire satellite lock much faster than the Colorado 400t that I used to have; I'll watch and see how it does as I play with it more.

So far I really like the touch-screen. Out of curiosity, I tried using it with (1) a pair of thin wool gloves, then (2) the wool gloves with an outer glove, and then (3) I took those off and put on heavy ski gloves. I found no problems using the touch-screen with (1) and (2), and believe it or not, I was even able to use the touch-screen without problem using (3), although I had to use the edge of my finger/glove instead of a direct downward press.

I like the body of the unit and it seems much more resistant to water intrusion compared to the Colorado; in fact, I think it has a much nicer finish to it and feels very nice in the hand.

I have the backlight on full. It is rainy / heavily overcast and getting dark, so I have no problem viewing the screen. I'll see how it does in other conditions.

I'll put the unit through some real tests this weekend to see if I am able to reproduce the location drift (accuracy problem) that plagued the Colorado 400t that I used to have.

tis all.... for now...

EDIT: I forgot one thing. I have the Garmin Colorado "case" and the Oregon will fit inside of it, but the case is much taller than it needs to be (of course). I saw that Garmin has an Oregon case on their website for backorder (no pictures though). I might eventually get an Oregon case (it will probably be a bit lighter in weight), but for now will just use the Colorado case.

Edited by jmedlock

Some things I noticed while glancing through the Oregon users manual:

The Oregon must have a different GPS chipset than the Colorado.

The Colorado users guide says "12 channel WAAS enabled/High sensitivity" whereas the Oregon users guide says "more than 12 channel WAAS enabled/High sensitivity" (emphasis mine). So I'm guessing, as someone else had previously guessed, that the Oregon has the STM Cartesio 32-channel GPS chipset. It makes perfect sense since 32 is "more than" 12. :D

The "aquisition times" that Garmin provides in the manuals are equivalent between the Oregon and Colorado: < 1 sec (warm start), < 33 sec (cold start), < 36 sec (autolocate).

Unlike the Colorado manual, which explicitly mentions a quad helix antenna, the Oregon manual does not provide any antenna details.

J

The OR doesn't support the same Geocaching interface as the CO. The summary screens with bearing, distance, etc aren't there. This is because the OR treats geocaches more like regular waypoints. Once you select a geocache from the list all the tools like the map, compass, altimeter, 3d-view, odometer, etc are available once you start navigation to the cache. In this sense there really isn't a geocaching mode on the OR. You pick a cache to navigate to and you end up back at the Main Menu to select the tools you want next.

IMO this is an improvement over the CO's dedicated geocaching mode. Yes, you don't get the clever little summary screens but 75% of the time I found myself doing a Go To Location so that I could access other functions and then I had to return to read the description, etc. The other benefit of this is that geocaches seem to get the same treatment as waypoints in that they show up on the recent finds list and you can do a search near using recent finds. You can also pan and zoom the map when selecting a geocache which allows you to easily find child waypoints.

I'm sure that there will be debate over this one! I'll try to post some screen shots on the geocaching mode to better show the flow but the link below shows some of what I'm talking about.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/First+Impressions#toc6

GO$Rs

GO$Rs, maybe I'm mis-understanding what it is you aren't fond of about the Colorado's geocaching mode (besides the lack of geocaches on Recent Finds, I get that) but this is what I've found.

If you are in the Geocaching profile on the Colorado go Shortcuts > Geocaches, select a cache, hit Options > Go To Location. This brings up your normal map view without cancelling the navigation to the cache. At this point you can access all of your favorite goodies like Trip Computer and Calculator while navigating to the geocache.

I haven't had my CO for even a week so forgive me if you already knew this stuff...

Reading all of this makes me even more upset Garmin has not fixed the problems with the CO yet. Looks like they lied to me when they said fixing the CO was thier top priority. Maybe now that the OR is out, they will start working on fixing the CO.

One question is does the OR support exit services?

Its sounding like the OR is not as buggy as the CO was and still is. Is that the case?

Reading all of this makes me even more upset Garmin has not fixed the problems with the CO yet. Looks like they lied to me when they said fixing the CO was thier top priority. Maybe now that the OR is out, they will start working on fixing the CO.

LOL, Check WebUpdater again, the Colorado update was just posted as you posted. :D

GO$Rs, on your wiki how did you get 2070 total finds on the geocaching dashboard when the limit for caches is 2000? Or am I wrong and there is a higher limit? Thanks!

I love being ignored.

Blind Avocado, as i mentioned, you can manually edit the geocaches found count in the settings. GO$Rs isn't the only one with an Oregon.

I actually found a bug - if you set your caches found to over 64k (probably 65535), it rolls over to a random number. (well, not random - standard integer overflow bug). This will be a problem in a few years, some caches are finding 5k/year. :rolleyes:

I've been very busy as you can see:

oregon64kfinds.jpg

oregonCacheSetting.jpg

oregonCacheSetting2.jpg

So, I've heard talk different ways, how many geocaches CAN the Oregon actually store? Can it really store 2000?

I'm assuming it inherits the 2000 limit from the CO but I haven't tested it yet. Where did you see that it supports less than 2000?

GO$Rs

My buddy was laoding queries with his Colorado and eventually they stopped loading as the icons with the cache page and some loaded as closed treasure boxes with no cache page. he wasn't sure, but thought that might have something to do with it. I am just used to the 60CSx having 1000, so I was just checking. I'd love to have 2000, that way I could keep the different queries I run depending on where I go, on all the time. I also need to run POI loader and load the caches I've found for reference in hiding.

I've completed a pass at the Oregon/Colorado comparison here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+Oregon

This morning I also ran the Colorado (w/2.6 Software) along side the Oregon. During that trip the Colorado had a location drift error of about 150' which lasted for a long time. The Oregon looked similar to last night's results, lots of drift in the <50' range but nothing as significant as the Colorado's.

GO$Rs

My buddy was laoding queries with his Colorado and eventually they stopped loading as the icons with the cache page and some loaded as closed treasure boxes with no cache page. he wasn't sure, but thought that might have something to do with it. I am just used to the 60CSx having 1000, so I was just checking. I'd love to have 2000, that way I could keep the different queries I run depending on where I go, on all the time. I also need to run POI loader and load the caches I've found for reference in hiding.

On the Colorado there is a 2000 cache and 200 gpx file limit. The new 2.6 Colorado software is supposed to warn you if you exceed either of these parameters. Not sure if the Oregon has this feature or not.

GO$Rs

Is the screen vertical only orientation, or can I change it to horizontal for, say, driving along a route? Like the nuvi's...

[] versus [__]

Vertical only.

This is one reason I thought about waiting...I have a feeling this feature would be added...

On the Colorado there is a 2000 cache and 200 gpx file limit. The new 2.6 Colorado software is supposed to warn you if you exceed either of these parameters. Not sure if the Oregon has this feature or not.

GO$Rs

for what it's worth, if you plug the oregon into GSAK, and run the colorado macro, it comes up

as an oregon, and dumps the nearest 2000 caches to it, just like the colorado.

i do have a question, however.... in the colorado, when you are selecting a cache, and you select

"go to cache", and you are using CN 2008 NT, you get turn by turn directions to the cache.

do the same thing on the oregon, and you just get a line of sight line going to the cache... how

can you get the oregon to give turn by turn directions like the colorado does?

FulThrotl

i do have a question, however.... in the colorado, when you are selecting a cache, and you select

"go to cache", and you are using CN 2008 NT, you get turn by turn directions to the cache.

do the same thing on the oregon, and you just get a line of sight line going to the cache... how

Do you have it in automotive mode (i.e city nav maps selected and routing set to On Road). It works on mine. And the nice thing about the Oregon is when you arrive at parking you can hit WhereTo->Recalculate off road and you'll get the straight line to the cache.

Do you have it in automotive mode (i.e city nav maps selected and routing set to On Road). It works on mine. And the nice thing about the Oregon is when you arrive at parking you can hit WhereTo->Recalculate off road and you'll get the straight line to the cache.

On the Colorado, if you are navigating to a Geocache and you switch the Trip Computer between Automotive and Recreational, does it switch between On Road/Off Road routing modes? Or does that just modify the look of the Trip Computer screen? I can't test since I don't have CN.

I'm pretty sure the colorado does it too, but you can set up the oregon to go into offroad (if in onroad) when you get within a set distance (you set it up yourself)

so If I'm going to a cache, if I am within .3 (i have it set to 1500ft actually) it will then switch to an offroad and I can go to compass mode.

On the Colorado, if you are navigating to a Geocache and you switch the Trip Computer between Automotive and Recreational, does it switch between On Road/Off Road routing modes? Or does that just modify the look of the Trip Computer screen? I can't test since I don't have CN.

It will switch routing modes as long as you don't have City Nav selected in your "off-road" profile. If I remember correctly it will overlay the autoroute on the topo map w/o recalculating if you have CN enabled.

GO$Rs

I'm pretty sure the colorado does it too, but you can set up the oregon to go into offroad (if in onroad) when you get within a set distance (you set it up yourself)

so If I'm going to a cache, if I am within .3 (i have it set to 1500ft actually) it will then switch to an offroad and I can go to compass mode.

It exists on the CO as well but I was never able to get it to work. That would be great if it did work on the OR -- have you tried it?

GO$Rs

It exists on the CO as well but I was never able to get it to work. That would be great if it did work on the OR -- have you tried it?

GO$Rs

The OR has the feature, i'll check it out later.

You probably have to have both "Guidance Method: On Road For Distance" and "Off Road Transitions: Distance" set.

Any idea how to get geocache names to show up on the map?