Ticked Off

A week and a half ago, it was reported that one of my cache's was missing. I had checked on it two days earlier and it was not. It was a large cache with a lot of swag in it. I chalked it up to loss but was pretty ticked off because it had a bug in it. 4 days later, it was reported another of my caches was missing. Again I it had been recently found and restocked but when I checked sure enough it was gone. Today, I got an email from a fellow cacher who told me that the area he was looking in was off limits. Before hiding this cache, I had permission to hide it. It is public land between the Federal Court House and the Amtrak Station, it has been my most popular cache but all three were always checked and stalked with sway because when I hunt I like to find coins, I leave coins for others. Today on my lunch hour I went to the Federal Court house and asked them if there was a problem with my Cache and if so would they accompany me to retrieve it. I was informed they received anonymous call saying it was being used as a drug drop. I went with him to show him where it was and what was in it and there was a note that said “Another one down B!@tch” So out of four caches in my area I only have one left up. The really weird thing is I haven’t been doing this long and don’t know anyone well enough for them to be ticked off at me. Have any of you had this happen? Does anyone have any advice?

After having a looky-see at the three caches in question, I think that they were destined to be muggled sooner than later. You have your heart in the right place, but just maybe your hides are not?

thanks, I know that is true but they were in 3 very different area's and all within a 10 day period. The last one have a note left in it telling another one down, doesn't really sound like a muggle. the Hunt was in an eaily muggled place but bugs out was in a random spot, I had to change my intstructions because no one was finding it. It is all creepy to me.

Check around your area to see if any other cachers are having this theft taking place.

Thanks for the advice. I think someone is messing with me but I am not sure why. I talked to a neighbor who does it and he said that there is someone in our area that will sometimes do this to new people and he thinks that is what is going on. He doesn't know who but it has happended to about 6 or 7 of us over the last year.

Vendetta's happen, fortunately not often, for any number of reasons.

The note makes it look like a personal vendetta... who has reason to be mad at you?

Example:

CoupleX caches, WifeX is totally into it, HusbandX not so much.

CoupleY caches, HusbandY loves it, WifeY not so much.

Pretty soon WifeX and HusbandY meet. (the story is predictable from here)

Before long HusbandX and WifeY learn the bad news, divorces follow.

HusbandX and WifeY drop out of the game.

Now WifeX and HusbandY are CoupleZ

CoupleZ's caches keep getting muggled.

Want to bet that the muggler is HusbandX?

I've seen that story play out more than once, for some real or imagined reason someone is ticked off with you, and attacking your caches is much safer than attacking you.

Who have you been caching with? :huh::)

Is this known as the Peyton Place syndrome?

I wouldn't have believed this could happen if I hadn't heard it from a reliable source...

It can happen anywhere... replace 'geocaching' with 'grocery shopping' or 'church' or 'mountain climbing' and the Peyton Place Syndrome happens there!

I've had the fortune to be married 36 years, but I have seen it happen to plenty of folks I know - 3 times in the geocaching community that I know of.

Try making any new caches you place Member's Only. If the vandal is still getting them then you can narrow it down to who viewed the cache page atleast. Also, this promotes users who want to find your caches getting memberships. :huh:

An idea that MAY help...unless the perpetrator is getting their info (target data) via PQ.

I became a Premium Member to get PQs, not to find MOCs.

Usually the best way to deal with this is to quietly replace the cache and make no mention that it was stolen anywhere. Not in the forums, or on the cache page. Usually the thief gets bored and moves on if there is no reaction because a reaction is exactly what he is looking for.

Edited by briansnat
“Another one down B!@tch”

While that term can be used for both men and women, I think that its reasonably safe to assume that the perp is at least aware that you are a woman.

AR's "Vendetta" theory is pretty hard to swallow in this situation, as you haven't even been caching long enough for HusbandX and WifeX's divorce to finalize. Besides, I'm not comfortable with the implications that theory puts forth.

TeamMagic is totally correct, though, that it sounds as though you're placing your caches in high-risk areas:

"Muggles and Actors, and Drunks Oh MY!" ??? Sounds pretty high-risk to me, especially for a 1 difficulty regular! Stick to well-camo'd micros in places like that. That said, though, it wouldn't appear that muggles are your problem. Sounds more like a cacher that is at least able to check your profile.

I have had a cache stolen from the state park near Troy, Missouri and a friend of mine had one stolen in the city limits of Troy within the last 6 weeks, so the stealing of cache boxes are not just limited to your area. I am just as ticked off like the rest of you about it.

“Another one down B!@tch”

While that term can be used for both men and women, I think that its reasonably safe to assume that the perp is at least aware that you are a woman.

AR's "Vendetta" theory is pretty hard to swallow in this situation, as you haven't even been caching long enough for HusbandX and WifeX's divorce to finalize. Besides, I'm not comfortable with the implications that theory puts forth.

Whoa! I made NO implications!

I tend to answer posts by addressing the topic and often don't look at who the poster is... I had no idea that the OP was a woman!

Can't see how that would change things, as my vendetta theory that someone is ticked with the OP stands without regard to gender.

I don't cuss much or pay particular attention to those who do, but my familiarity with the word in question comes from overhearing my sons and their friends, and they are usually talking about another guy when they say it. Ooops.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

maybe you could create a secondary account for hiding caches (at least for awhile) and not put any personal info on your profile.

If this person is targeting new hiders, this won't help, but if they are targeting you specifically it might. I would use cheap containers and no bugs and don't be emotionally attached to new caches, kinda like an experiment.

That really stinks that someone feels the need to do this to you (or any other cacher at all).

Good Luck.

Edited by TMDMom

Vendetta's happen, fortunately not often, for any number of reasons.

The note makes it look like a personal vendetta... who has reason to be mad at you?

Example:

CoupleX caches, WifeX is totally into it, HusbandX not so much.

CoupleY caches, HusbandY loves it, WifeY not so much.

Pretty soon WifeX and HusbandY meet. (the story is predictable from here)

Before long HusbandX and WifeY learn the bad news, divorces follow.

HusbandX and WifeY drop out of the game.

Now WifeX and HusbandY are CoupleZ

CoupleZ's caches keep getting muggled.

Want to bet that the muggler is HusbandX?

I've seen that story play out more than once, for some real or imagined reason someone is ticked off with you, and attacking your caches is much safer than attacking you.

Who have you been caching with? :):D

I go along with TAR more times than not but i think the scenario he is proposing is stretching a bit this time. Yes this can and does happen but the OP has stated that she hasn't been caching that long so things probably wouldn't have had time to progress as far as he has suggested.

Jealousy could be the culprit however, something along the lines of the OP having a friend(s) she used to do things with all the time. Her friend doesn't like geocaching and thinks it is stupid :D but the OP is choosing to geocache more than hang with that friend. Of course, the friend doesn't like this at all and is so upset that he/she takes it out on the OP's caches.

To the OP, i'm just taking a stab at another possibility. Using the b**** word in the note indicates to me that the person who left it knows that you are female and may know you personally. Then again, the perpetrator could have simply read your profile to get your gender. They saw that you were new to the hobby and is messing with your caches because they are bored scumbags that have no life! As others have stated, they'll most likely tire of this childish behavior sooner or later, that is, if you ignore them. Easier said than done but it is probably the best remedy...

Edited by Mudfrog

My first instinct would be - hide a cache you can watch. Like, from work if neccessary.

You might have a general time-frame that's been indicated from the past 'raids'....I'd try to set something up that I could play closest attention to, at about the same time-lag or time-of-day, if some pattern can be discerned from his/her past actions.

Perhaps, if within your reach, one of those game trail cameras that hunters use. Conceal it suitably near the hide - especially applicable if used in the woods. Or if in an urban setting, place a cache near a friends home (with their cooperation) & perhaps set up a video surveillance camera.

To at least have an idea who it is, or even if you might possibly know them, should go a long way towards providing peace of mind. Not to mention, evidence, should you decide to involve the police.