B17 crash Tells Peak California

skyhawk2

I am taking 4 Explorer Scouts to find the "Tells Me About It" virtual cache and would like to take them to the historical and protected site where the B17C crashed near Tells Peak California in 1941.

I looked on the El Dorado County site and the coordinates dont seem to be valid.

Does anyone have the Lon/Lat of the crash site that I could load onto my 60Csx?

Please email it to me at richardhollister@hotmail.com rather than post it. I don't want everyone trapsing around there just because they read it here. Just an experience for the scouts as we obtain the virtual cache up on Tells Peak. I understand that there have only been about 3 or 4 visitors to "Tells Me About It" because of its difficulty and so I want us to be one of brave and few.

Richard Hollister

skyhawk2

I think the virtual cache you speak of is actually this multi cache, where the description includes "The coordinates take you to a virtual cache at the summit from which you can deduce the stage 2 coordinates of the physical cache" :huh:

Three miles south is this archived cache which claims to have been 200 feet NE of the crash site. My crystal ball also shows an unpublished virtual cache 227 feet SW, where you'll find the propeller. :)

Ahh the reviewers crystall ball is a great thing.

Some other write-ups:

This site shows a topo map with the location of the different sections.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Sierr..._crash_site.htm

A detailed photo journal from a fellow "aviation wreck hunter." I,ve never got meet him yet, but we've compared notes and coords on several occasions. http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3220002_fwYTx

http://www.donrjordan.com/tellspeak.html

My favorite hang out for Aviation Archeology (be sure to visit the message board). www.wreckchasing.com

You are correct. I have the Virtual coordinates for "Tells Me Again", and will obtain the physical cache site from that position. (you cannot hide caches in the wilderness areas). However, while we are in the area, I wanted to that the scouts to the 1941 crash site of the B17C that is now a protected site for viewing only. It is somewhere around Tells Creek, however I am not sure of the exact location. I am looking for someone who has gone there and knows the Longitude and Latitude so that after we complete the "Tells Me About It" cache, we will look at the crash site on the way out.

Thanks anyway

You are correct. I have the Virtual coordinates for "Tells Me Again", and will obtain the physical cache site from that position. (you cannot hide caches in the wilderness areas). However, while we are in the area, I wanted to that the scouts to the 1941 crash site of the B17C that is now a protected site for viewing only. It is somewhere around Tells Creek, however I am not sure of the exact location. I am looking for someone who has gone there and knows the Longitude and Latitude so that after we complete the "Tells Me About It" cache, we will look at the crash site on the way out.

Thanks anyway

Hello~ I just talked to a guy yesterday about the location of the crash site because we're going up to camp in the area next weekend. He took a scout troop there a while ago and found it. Here's the coords he gave me. Hope this helps. Sierra Tomb Raiders

Right Wing (the largest section): N 38 degrees 54.950'

W 120 degrees 19.802'

Left Wing: N 38 degrees 55.007'

W 120 degrees 19.675'

Tail Section: N 38 degrees 54.798'

W 120 degrees 19.768'