Why is Garmin switching back to microSD?

jcc123

I'm speculating that Garmin is going back to MicroSD on the Oregon so that they can get the card back under the batteries (like the 60csx). I'm guessing that this helps with two things: 1) size of the entire unit can be smaller and 2) there's one less opening in the unit that has to be sealed to prevent water damage. I've heard that the later can be a problem on the Colorado but I've never seen it myself.

GO$Rs

With an adaptor, the microSD card will work in more Garmin units that the regular SD cards will. There is no need to stock both types of cards, just make the microSD's and use an adaptor if you have an SD slot.

Well, that's exactly the reason for them NOT to use a microSD slot since SD card owners can't use it while a SD slot can be used by microSD.

What they are doing is forcing people to go buy microSDs when many people already own SD cards.

With an adaptor, the microSD card will work in more Garmin units that the regular SD cards will. There is no need to stock both types of cards, just make the microSD's and use an adaptor if you have an SD slot.

Well, that's exactly the reason for them NOT to use a microSD slot since SD card owners can't use it while a SD slot can be used by microSD.

What they are doing is forcing people to go buy microSDs when many people already own SD cards.

You can get a 2Gb microSD for 5 bucks, plus shipping. Not really an issue.

well if you take a look back through time you'll see all card formats eventually are replaced by something newer, smaller and with a larger capacity. Standard SD cards were replaced by mini and later microSD cards. micros are used in everything from cell phones to cameras to toys and GPSr's. there's no reason to keep the larger/bulky SD format if you want to keep your device small. you can get microSD cards with capacities as large as 8G right now with 32G on the horizon. calling Garmin "dumb" for using newer technology is hardly going to get them to switch back. most of the them when you buy a microSD card it comes with a standard sized SD card adapter anyway so you can use it in a card reader on your PC. so there really is no reason to complain about the new format. unless you are "dumb" i guess.

Well, I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't like to have to shell out money for nothing. SD cards worked great and they fit fine in a large device like a GPS so again, not happy about the switch. It's almost as if they have 20 design teams that don't talk to one another and all doing their own thing. There's no single theme. As if no one is in charge of design?

If $5 is nothing and Garmin made the decision then they should include one in their GPS. The reason that they're not should tell you something. Bascially, they're saying I'm going to screw you but not me.

Plus the fact that this has nothing to do with Garmin trying to stay ahead of the curve. They used USB1 for the longest time when every other device maker has already switched before switching to USB2. They didn't accept SDHC for the longest time (in fact, I still don't know if all of their models do???). They still don't take cards above 4gb!!! They have problems using the higher class 5/6 cards like the Sandisk Ultra. The b/s goes on and on. So please don't say they're switching to microSD to be current.

Edited by jcc123

I have recurring problems with the contacts on the microSD forcing me to turn it off, remove the batteries and reseat the card. Symptoms are, maps disappear while in use. major pain when your autorouting and it can't anymore because the road has disappeared.

I have recurring problems with the contacts on the microSD forcing me to turn it off, remove the batteries and reseat the card. Symptoms are, maps disappear while in use. major pain when your autorouting and it can't anymore because the road has disappeared.

This is what I'm talking about. There's really no benefit in going to microSD for Garmin. Their devices are not so small to need it. The price of microSD is not cheaper than SD. The smaller chip makes it more difficult to handle and can be lost more easily. And, it looks like the smaller the item the more problematic.

Edited by jcc123

Copy that. I can put maps and music on my microSD card. Then when I get to camp I can take the microSD card out of my GPSr and stick it in my Sandisk player

http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-sansa-e250.../205562657.html

and with that hooked up to amplified speakers, I can have music all night. :D

well.. who's forcing you to upgrade your GPSr anyway? keep using your existing unit with your existing SD cards and be happy. generally you can put the card in your unit and forget about it. just hook up via usb and never have to touch the card again. for those of us who want to use the same card in multiple devices, we pull it in and out as needed.

again, i don't get your argument (other than to troll). if you don't like the oregon and the microsd card, don't buy one. stick with what you have. calling garmin "dumb" certainly isn't going to change anything.

I had that problem a lot with my 60CSX, have not had it with my 400T.

Dealing with the big card is also easier and you do not have to worry about it be small and easy to lose.

It's a matter of being "small", not "current".

SD cards are small enough. Their GPSs are huge. It's not a tiny little phone!

They're exactly as big as they need to be to contain what's in them. If you make what goes into them bigger (plus the bigger connector for it to mate to), then you have to make the unit bigger. Compactness is a selling point (why do you think the 60 models consistently outsell the 76?). Besides, a memory card in a GPS is intended to be installed, and left in place. There's no real reason to be exchanging them all the time.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I don’t agree with the OP. I have a 76CSx, and I’m perfectly happy with the microSD card. But I don’t think this is fair:

who's forcing you to upgrade your GPSr anyway?
That wouldn’t be the point. Most of us want to upgrade from time to time. Most people like to have current technology. But he really doesn’t want a unit that takes microSD card. I may not agree with him, but that’s his position. He will have to make the choice between staying with old technology or accepting something he doesn’t like so he can upgrade. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for him to be unhappy with that.

i don't get your argument (other than to troll).
I see no reason to accuse him of that. He doesn’t seem disingenuous to me.

calling garmin "dumb" certainly isn't going to change anything.

Maybe he was hoping a lot of people would agree with him and contact Garmin to try to influence them away from micro cards in future models. Looks like that’s not the case, but I can’t see criticizing a guy for trying. I don't think there's any reason to be that hard on him.
Maybe he was hoping a lot of people would agree with him and contact Garmin to try to influence them away from micro cards in future models. Looks like that’s not the case, but I can’t see criticizing a guy for trying. I don't think there's any reason to be that hard on him.

Roger that, he was just a focus group of one. :)

Yeah, this is a non issue. MicroSDs are incredibly cheap.

Just DONT buy them at Best Buy - my god. Highway robbery. $60 for items you can get online for $10, should be illegal.

Also the OP may be missing the fact that the new units have built in internal memory anyway, unlike the 60csx and 76. You don't even need a card at all to use maps.

Copy that. I can put maps and music on my microSD card. Then when I get to camp I can take the microSD card out of my GPSr and stick it in my Sandisk player

http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-sansa-e250.../205562657.html

and with that hooked up to amplified speakers, I can have music all night. :)

Brilliant use.