New Policy For San Diego County Parks (Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon Only)

FlagMan

Please note that a new Geocaching Policy has been adopted by the San Diego County Parks/Rec Dept. and is applicable to Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon only at this point. You will find the policy at Geocaching Policy

Now, please, don't get too upset over this. I recognize this policy is way too restrictive and really quite unmanageable. It certainly wasn't anything like what I proposed to the County, and I have already expressed my deep disappointment at the restrictions. But I have been given assurances that this is one baby step towards a more relaxed policy here and in other county parks. What I have been told is that the County will monitor things under this policy and, depending on how they perceive it to be working, will make changes in the future to balance needs of all concerned.

At this point we should see if anyone bothers hiding caches in Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon under these restrictions. I hope people do make the effort and express their thoughts in a positive, constructive, responsible manner. I plan to do so. This will likely result in a loosening of the restrictions in the future and a much more workable policy for other County parks.

BTW, although this policy does not cover any other County parks, I specifically asked and there is no current instruction to remove caches from those parks at this time.

Everything was looking tolerable until I read the cache must be removed after six months.

I wonder if they would let you reregister it...?

Yeah, that's not great but if it meant the difference between caches or no caches, I'd be willing to grudgingly accept it...

The main thing I would worry about are the flash-in-the-pan types that get excited about geocaching but three months later they are off doing "the next big thing" that they are excited about. Six months later, they've forgotten all about it and meanwhile the rest of us suffer for their negligence. (Of course, we are not without some measure of control, in that we could take action to make sure that expired caches are properly cleaned up...)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

The main thing I would worry about are the flash-in-the-pan types that get excited about geocaching but three months later they are off doing "the next big thing" that they are excited about. Six months later, they've forgotten all about it and meanwhile the rest of us suffer for their negligence.

I have seen this many times. The Admin. gets real excited and over react then a few months later, seem to forget about the issue.

This is the primary reason for so many 'blue laws' in this country. My favorite is: "You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows." ( Blythe, CA )

Sadly, no one has decided to try out the new policy. Some might not like the fact that the government is involved, but fact is, some geocachers have ruined it for everyone else by leaving trash, stomping thru the environment and runining it (They are looking at their GPS and not where they are actually going).

Think of the footprint you are leaving and try to make it as small as possible.

Sadly, no one has decided to try out the new policy.

There hasn't been a lot of activity in the surrounding area lately either, so it may be just a reflection of where people are putting the caches at the moment.

Seems like the most likely candidates (based on whose placed caches to the north of Goodan Ranch) are FlagMan, BetaEagle and Rod Swank. Beta Eagle has skipped town alas but maybe by posting this message we can guilt FlagMan into placing a few and trying out the new regs... :D