UK Mega Event 2009

As most of you are probably aware, when the idea of a UK Mega Event was first mooted here, some Wiltshire cachers suggested that they might be able to host a Mega Event.

Unfortunately the proposed venue will not be available and despite much discussion on the subject a suitable alternative could not be found. This means that a Wiltshire Mega Event is NOT being planned for 2009 and the way is therefore clear should any other interested parties wish to take up the challenge.

For anyone thinking of organising a future UK Mega Event - Robin of the Harrogate Hunters offers his personal help.

Lets get this one over with first !!!! :blink: THERE IS NO GUARANTEE :D (I found it in the dictionary )THAT WITH ALL THE WORK that has been put in by People who have been involved (and a lot of planning has been done! ) that 500 will attend, I WILL BE THERE! :( to support the MEGA EVENT so should you !!!!!! thats the post!

BE THERE 03/08/08

1ST for the UK

MEGA EVENT!

Martin :(

I think that the First UK Mega Event will be great - I'm sure that they'll get the required 500+ attending

BUT

I really wonder whether there would be the same turn-out for a second Mega Event in 2009? :blink:

Personally, I would suggest that a Mega once every two, or even three years, might be a better idea for the U.K.

Just a thought.

MrsB :(

I think that the First UK Mega Event will be great - I'm sure that they'll get the required 500+ attending

BUT

I really wonder whether there would be the same turn-out for a second Mega Event in 2009? :huh:

Personally, I would suggest that a Mega once every two, or even three years, might be a better idea for the U.K.

Just a thought.

MrsB :)

Not sure how but maybe a month or two after this event a poll is created asking would cachers attend a 2009 mega event?

You need to get the 2008 one out of the way first then allow people time to reflect if they would like to do it all over again.

Not sure how but maybe a month or two after this event a poll is created asking would cachers attend a 2009 mega event?

You need to get the 2008 one out of the way first then allow people time to reflect if they would like to do it all over again.

Yes, that's why we wanted everyone to know that there are no serious plans for another Mega Event BEFORE they attended Harrogate. There may be someone out there keen to attempt to organise another Mega Event and they'll have an ideal opportunity to study the first and pick the Committee brains during the Harrogate weekend. A poll sounds an excellent idea.

There was no intention to upset anyone nor of raising any "hot potatoes", just the thought that the UK caching community should be aware that there wasn't another Mega in the planning stages.

Personally we've been liaising with and supporting Harrogate from afar in their huge venture, and will be travelling up from Wiltshire to attend what is clearly going to be a special geocaching weekend. We know alot of what the Harrogate Committee have been through to get the event to happen and wish them all a great success.

Out of curiousity which venue is not available next year?

Maybe someone else might have some other ideas to get an event up and running.

Well done for volunteering... :):huh::huh:

It was the Swindon Science Museum that appeared to be the "perfect venue", we hope that it may become available sometime, but it won't be the foreseeable future.

At this time the Wiltshire cachers who first thought they'd host a Mega Event have stepped down, so the baton is well and truly yours if you want it! ;)

Edited by Lydford Locators

It was the Swindon Science Museum that appeared to be the "perfect venue", we hope that it may become available sometime, but it won't be the foreseeable future.

At this time the Wiltshire cachers who first thought they'd host a Mega Event have stepped down, so the baton is well and truly yours if you want it! :huh:

Is it free for 2010? Maybe that could push it to be a biannual event?

Rather than face the massive headache of organising one really huge event that hopes to attract 500 people, why not split it down into 5 camping events ( and 5 smaller headaches) that could each get 100 people to attend - all spaced around a central point….

For example :huh:

Camping events near Swindon, Reading, Cheltenham, Milton Keynes and Coventry – with a single central event on Sunday somewhere on the Otmoor Ring (for example only – people could park wherever, walk the ring, find the caches, and sign the log on the way past the event – which could be as simple as a picnic blanket on a bench……)

I'm told by a non-caching acquaintance that Billing Aquadrome near Northampton is an ideal venue for this type of event. It is purpose made for large organised rallies and is used by many car and caravan clubs for there annual meets. No idea of costs or availability (often booked more than a year in advance I'm told) but may be worth a look. And before anyone suggests it, no I'm not volunteering :huh: as we are likely to be moving home around this time next year :) . I would certainly be more than willing to lend a hand though.

One way to guarantee a Mega turnout: get the GPS Maze exhibit!

What a good idea! Maybe Groundspeak would like to comment on the possibility.

As you know...hardly likely. In any case, I think that the event organisers would have to get in touch with Groundspeak to book the exhibit, so that the event was on the Maze opening day. Also, the event would have to be at some sort of science museum with an outdoor area, or an outdoor equipment supplier, (or the likes of Garmin) would have to be talked into sponsoring it.

I'm pretty sure that visitors from all over Europe would be attracted by this: organising it would not be so easy though.

Rather than face the massive headache of organising one really huge event that hopes to attract 500 people, why not split it down into 5 camping events ( and 5 smaller headaches) that could each get 100 people to attend - all spaced around a central point….

For example :huh:

Camping events near Swindon, Reading, Cheltenham, Milton Keynes and Coventry – with a single central event on Sunday somewhere on the Otmoor Ring (for example only – people could park wherever, walk the ring, find the caches, and sign the log on the way past the event – which could be as simple as a picnic blanket on a bench……)

This has to be a much easier way to organise the event next year?

instead of one person worrying about sorting out 500 plus people, 5 teams set up a camping event looking to attract 100. the sites can be much smaller, not so much hassle with catering and toilets etc.

then the mega event is a single situation on one of the days either flash mob or as tim suggests.

for the real die hards, if each camping event was close enough then you could drive to each. if enough people did that you could see five mega event camping events with a central mega flash mob event. still without all the hassle and difficulty that this years one seems to have attracted.....

:):huh:;)

Amazing Butterflies Opens in London

April 9, 2008

Visitors shrink down into the undergrowth and enter the interactive maze. They become a caterpillar and find their way through a secret wild-world as grass and leaves tower above their heads.

After entering the maze through a giant caterpillar and navigating the many nooks and crannies of the maze, visitors emerge as a butterfly and soar through the air before entering the butterfly house.

Amazing Butterflies will be at the Natural History Museum in London through August 15, 2008. It will then embark on a 5 year North American tour. For more information, contact Greg Krogen at greg@minotaurmazes.com

Along with adaptations of pinball and foosball that show visitors how caterpillars are impacted by the environment.

One of their mazes is here in the UK... can it be counted??? Or does it have to be a spcific one?

Cheers MaxKim.

From experience, organising 1 event for 500 is not THAT much harder than organising an event for 100 - and certainly less hassle than organising 5 events for 100, plus an event for everyone to meet up.

I have to say, and know it was said jokingly, a GeoGlastonbury sounds great.

Does this sound like a volunteer everyone?!! :D:D

From experience, organising 1 event for 500 is not THAT much harder than organising an event for 100 - and certainly less hassle than organising 5 events for 100, plus an event for everyone to meet up.

I have to say, and know it was said jokingly, a GeoGlastonbury sounds great.

Does this sound like a volunteer everyone?!! :D:D

Yup, but i'm not sure the location will be too popular with the masses!

To book the Maze for a standard 3 month booking, your looking at $55,000+ Inbound shipping see Minotaur maze Exhibits

From the looks of it the earliest dates available is 2011.

And a Mega event is a single event with over 500 attendee's, so 5 camping events would not be classified as a Mega Event

WE! :D are the Blue Peter Generation! Jhon Nokes would build one for the price of a washing up lipsquid bottle and a roll of sticky back plastic :D

Edited by fat bloke

From experience, organising 1 event for 500 is not THAT much harder than organising an event for 100

I'm sure I'm not the only Mega Event 2008 Committee Member who disagrees with that on so many levels! :D

In a previous life I used to organise events for young people for numbers of between 200 and 20,000, granted for the larger events you need a bigger venue and MORE of everything and finances get scary - BUT - you still have to cover pretty much everything that you'd do for a small event as you'd do for a large one.

I didn't say either was easy.... and I have respect for the people organising the Mega.. Well done for getting it up and running.

and at this point I'll shut up - don't want to distract from this years event.

From experience, organising 1 event for 500 is not THAT much harder than organising an event for 100

I'm sure I'm not the only Mega Event 2008 Committee Member who disagrees with that on so many levels! :D

In a previous life I used to organise events for young people for numbers of between 200 and 20,000, granted for the larger events you need a bigger venue and MORE of everything and finances get scary - BUT - you still have to cover pretty much everything that you'd do for a small event as you'd do for a large one.

With all due respect (yahdah yahdah yahdah) .......................

The idea was to organize half a dozen or so camping events a la CoC, Let's go camping in ..., etc.

This would get people from all ordinate points in the general vicinity of a final, mega, event on the Sunday.

The reasoning being that five or six different people or groups could take on the smaller task of organizing a simple camping event to get people into the area.

If these were spaced around the mega they could be anything up to 50 miles apart.

Then - everybody would congregate on a central point to create the mega.

Taking it even further - there would be nothing to stop people from driving from event to event at the weekend - we could even organize competitions between events, and have each one themed.....?????

And yes - if anybody else buys in - I would be prepared to help.

With all due respect (yahdah yahdah yahdah) .......................

The idea was to organize half a dozen or so camping events a la CoC, Let's go camping in ..., etc.

This would get people from all ordinate points in the general vicinity of a final, mega, event on the Sunday.

The reasoning being that five or six different people or groups could take on the smaller task of organizing a simple camping event to get people into the area.

If these were spaced around the mega they could be anything up to 50 miles apart.

Then - everybody would congregate on a central point to create the mega.

Taking it even further - there would be nothing to stop people from driving from event to event at the weekend - we could even organize competitions between events, and have each one themed.....?????

And yes - if anybody else buys in - I would be prepared to help.

Its a clever idea, but I would doubt that there are enough caching teams that camp to make it work. It would be interesting to see just how many caching teams attend camping events, I may have a look when I get a spare few hours (unless someone with a well populated GSAK database and a penchant for macros is reading this.........).

So that's several ideas combined to make 5 camping events happening around a central point that all 500 will congregate to on the sunday.

How about the central point being glastonbury tor or something? that or a large field next to a ... dare i say it? ... a public house.

The main idea being that finding five smaller camp sites is easier than one very large one. catering for the 500 is limited to just one afternoon.

the smaller sites would also mean a great party at each where you can stand a chance to meet the rest of the people there. then do battle with the other sites when we all meet up. pirates verses cowboys verses..... scoring judged by whatever means we feel like that day LOL.

If people were serious about a GeoGlastonbury then the Bath and West Showground is only a couple of miles from Worthy Farm...... More than adequate in size for 500 and possibly camping as well......

Venue hire details.....

Edited to add that I would also be willing to help out with organising an event in the South West........

Edited by *mouse*

Oh the location seems just about perfect! :unsure:) It saves a 600 mile return trip like this year anyway!

Well that beats our 124 mile round journey........ :lol:

I think if the next event is way down south a lot from up this way and especially way up into Scotland would not attend. :blink: The same as if the Scots said "Oh will will hold the Mega in Inverness" that would add another 500 miles onto Stueys already 600 mile trip to Harrogate.

If Stuey is saying Harrogate is a 600 mile round journey from Devon how far would it be for those from way up in Scotland to go to the other end of the country. Your much braver than us Stuey no way would we do a 600 mile round trip for a weekend!!

I know we are lucky living here in Durham as Harrogate is not a huge distance for us but also it is the ideal place for the event as it is smack bang in the middle of the country.

I think Yorkshire would be the ideal central place again, but with a new committee. :) Do you think another Mega Event will come off on an annual basis? I personally think think a lot of folks are making the effore because it is the FIRST UK Mega Event :)

How far is it literally from one end of the country to the other ? :D

Mandy :lol:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Oh the location seems just about perfect! :)) It saves a 600 mile return trip like this year anyway!

I think if the next event is way down south a lot from up this way and especially way up into Scotland would not attend. :D The same as if the Scots said "Oh will will hold the Mega in Inverness" that would add another 500 miles onto Stueys already 600 mile trip to Harrogate.

If Stuey is saying Harrogate is a 600 mile round journey from Devon how far would it be for those from way up in Scotland to go to the other end of the country. Your much braver than us Stuey no way would we do a 600 mile round trip for a weekend!!

I know we are lucky living here in Durham as Harrogate is not a huge distance for us but also it is the ideal place for the event as it is smack bang in the middle of the country.

I think Yorkshire would be the ideal central place again, but with a new committee. :lol: Do you think another Mega Event will come off on an annual basis? I personally think think a lot of folks are making the effore because it is the FIRST UK Mega Event :unsure:

Mandy :blink:

But that's exactly the reason why a lot of people from this end of the country aren't making the trip up this year -- Yorkshire's hardly central, is it....and 600 miles is just too far to drive for an icon!

It might be close geographically - but by population density it's over 100 miles too far north. How many people are going from the north west highlands?

Edited by keehotee

Oh the location seems just about perfect! :blink:) It saves a 600 mile return trip like this year anyway!

Well that beats our 124 mile round journey........ :lol:

I think if the next event is way down south a lot from up this way and especially way up into Scotland would not attend. :D The same as if the Scots said "Oh will will hold the Mega in Inverness" that would add another 500 miles onto Stueys already 600 mile trip to Harrogate.

I think Yorkshire would be the ideal central place again, but with a new committee. :) Do you think another Mega Event will come off on an annual basis? I personally think think a lot of folks are making the effore because it is the FIRST UK Mega Event :D

How far is it literally from one end of the country to the other ? :unsure:

Mandy :lol:

Which is exactly why the event should move about and be in a different part of the UK each year...... :D

If people can't get to a mega, eventually a mega would make it to them. Plus the responsibility of organising such a large event would get spread about rather than fall on the shoulders of the same people all the time.

In addition we're all making the assumption that the UK will only ever support one mega a year. If the number of cachers keeps rising the way it is, I'm sure in the not to distant future the UK might be able to support regional megas...... you never know! :)

As long as it doesn't come to London! :unsure:

I spend my whole week waitng to get out at the weekends. :D

Birmingham is probably the most Central area(for the majority),but being another big city is not advantageous in my view.

And Yorks/Lancs has a lot more going for it,with "willing"cachers,great countryside,smaller towns,good transport links and many caches too.So I'd vote for "up North" :)

With petrol being the price it is, and not being able to take too long off work at the moment, I've had to plan my time off around what I see as being the most fun, accessible events, regardless of where they are - and unfortunately the Mega just didn't do it for me.

But this is just my own personal opinion

Harrogate would be a 720 mile round trip from here, and it's currently hard to justify that trip for a weekend. I'm of the opinion that it should move around the UK. I was being part silly suggesting Cornwall as a venue, but somewhere in Somerset would place it within easy reach of the Motorway Network, Bristol Airport and Railway facilities.

GeoGlastonbury really would have a lot going for it, and volunteers already keen to help organise it.

Loads of possible areas - Oxford, Lancs, Northants, Wilts, Brum, Staffs, etc etc etc. But maybe not so many suitable sites.

Here's one that is, though :

Waddecar, in Lancs :

Waddecar has many camping pitches suitable for large or small groups, we can usually find a plot to suit your needs, whether you want to be near camp centre or in a more secluded area. Waddecar can also be booked exclusively for sole use for special events at reasonable rates and can accommodate over 1000 quite easily if required.

Toilets & Showers

We pride ourselves on our toilet block. We know just how important it is, even when roughing it, to have somewhere clean to go to the toilet, be able to have a good wash & a free hot shower. Our toilet blocks are cleaned on a regular basis and are amongst the best in the UK

Internet Access

Our IT Suite can either be booked exclusively for a group activity or at other times, available for free use for visitors to check their e-mail, order food deliveries from Tesco direct to site, check the weather, etc

The "Tuck Inn" Providore

Full of the usual sweets, soft drinks, badges & gifts, our providore is open at set times each day or by arrangement to suit your programme. Ice-cream & Lollies in Summer and a small range of emergency supplies such as washing-up liquid, pan scourers etc.

Wet Weather Shelter

"The Barn" hosts a huge wet weather shelter which is available for all site users to retreat to if the weather just gets too damp to cope. Free of charge but not available for exclusive use sorry.

Office Facilities

Access to photocopying, laminating, faxing is readily available at cost on request to all site users.

Telephone Kiosk

A coin-operated payphone is available at all hours in camp centre. Most mobile phone reception is either poor or non-existent on-site although a short walk down the lane usually gives reception for most networks.

Have-U-Got Store

For many years, we were inundated with people arriving at reception with the "Have you got a football we can borrow? Have you got some chairs or benches for loan? Have you got a tug-of-war rope? and so on. To ease these requests, we built the "Have-U-Got" Store which contains all those useful things that you tend to forget to take on camp. If you're short of something, pop into reception and ask "Have you got.........."

Table & Bench Hire

A number of high quality wooden tables & benches with metal legs are available for hire for a mere £1.50 per table and 75p per bench per night. Just think of the hassle saved in transporting yours to camp & back & having to wash the mud off afterwards!

GP (General Purposes) Room

The GP Room is situated within the Barn and has a concrete floor so you're quite welcome to walk in with your muddy boots, wellies etc. The walls are covered with nature posters, forestry, bird boxes and the like and is a good base to use for environmental studies or projects.

I'd say let it move around the country. We're all going to have personal opinions and which ever location it goes to, it's going to please some people. Annoy others.

We can discuss this until the cows come home. Until someone actually says "I'll do it!" there's no point discussing it with opinions of preferred location. Once robin of Harrogate Hunters said Harrogate, yes there have been grumbles, but lots and lots of people are going.

Whoever organises 2009 will have exactly the same type of thing happen to them.

From experiance of other events that regularly travel around the country I would vote for this option. Its nice for people who are willing to travel to go somewhere different every year (or a selection of places in rotation at least over 4 or 5 years) and other people who cannot travel so far get a chance every few years. JMHO

One way to guarantee a Mega turnout: get the GPS Maze exhibit!

What a good idea! Maybe Groundspeak would like to comment on the possibility.

I'm sure we've all had the experience of looking in the windows of the kind of shops with very little merchandise in the window, but what there is looks gorgeous and Italian and has no price tag on it. The motto I taught myself (I'm still working on the female members of the family :sad:) for these circumstances is "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".

However, if you want to pluck up the courage to cough discreetly and ask the perfectly-manicured shop assistant how much it costs, look here. :sad:

With that in mind, I suspect the dollar will have to weaken considerably before the GPS Maze Exhibit becomes an affordable option for a Mega Event Committee, unless Sir Allan Stanford changes his allegiance from cricket to geocaching.